AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Horizon

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-21, 11:25   Link #1041
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In front of my computer
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
But it's not extreme to point where you have to have a panty shot ever 3 minutes...
Every 3 minutes? Try Agent Aika.
It's every 5 seconds.
__________________
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 19:18   Link #1042
com_gwp
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I really do want to try to get into this show, because its the kind of show I especially like; Dense, well-established settings with a huge cast of characters, alongside a healthy dose of politics and ambiguity thrown into the mix that promises the kind of mixed perspective storytelling I enjoy.

But these 3 episodes of nonstop infodumping gives me the feeling that this series is really gonna take its time with the exposition.

And I can't get into a series proper without a good understanding of the setting, especially in a series like horizon where the setting seems especially central to the plot (Or is it not? Because that would be a greater disappointment than anything else).

So my course of action now is probably to wait out the series and spam it once it's done. Hopefully a clearer picture can be portrayed then.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 08:08   Link #1043
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Don't worry just 23 more episodes of infodumping to go, hang in there.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 14:43   Link #1044
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
And I can't get into a series proper without a good understanding of the setting, especially in a series like horizon where the setting seems especially central to the plot (Or is it not? Because that would be a greater disappointment than anything else).
The setting is one of it's strong points. The author spend lots of time describing that. You can notice it just by watching and even no light novel knowledge that every minute counts. If the big boobs disturb you and forgot an info which is crucial to the story then it's a re-watch again. Politics, setting and character development and interaction. The battle will be a bit later I think but in the next episode. One of the factions are starting to move.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 16:29   Link #1045
Mars Mode
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Amazing.

I cannot say animore about this one.
It seems that things are getting serious. How serious is something we need to find out, and how it will affect our characters this series of developments I want to know. But it will be a torturous week until the next episode.
__________________
Mars Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 16:33   Link #1046
com_gwp
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
The setting is one of it's strong points. The author spend lots of time describing that. You can notice it just by watching and even no light novel knowledge that every minute counts. If the big boobs disturb you and forgot an info which is crucial to the story then it's a re-watch again. Politics, setting and character development and interaction. The battle will be a bit later I think but in the next episode. One of the factions are starting to move.
Those boobs are freaking me out more than anything, if that's what you mean by disturbing

My problem is more along the lines of the pacing and direction this show is taking, which I'm sure you'd agree...is terribly slow. Not to mention we have not gotten much if any exposition in the last 3 episodes (Which is like the magic number of episodes you are given to succesfully capture the audience's interest, or less). And one can say the setting is strong, but certain stuff still don't make sense in context of the setting (Ghost bustan'? Oni killan'? Revolutionan'? For what?), which gives a certain disparity in what the show wants us to know, and what's it's showing us.

Edit: I was also wondering, but how consequential is the actual backstory with testament and the collapse of the alt universe? Other than the fact that it gives the setting a reason to have mutiple nationalities fighting over glorious nippon using future tech.

And here's my cynical POV: with a slow and deliberate exposition, the payoff at the middle or climax of show can end up extremely underwhelming (case in point: LOST, or if you want an anime example, NOEIN)

Ah, not to sounds like I'm just dissing on the show or anything, I'm just trying to come to terms on what my beef with the show actually is. And Aoi Toori is a much more FABULOUS protag than I thought, his scenes are always a delight, especially in episode 3.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2011-10-22 at 16:55.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 17:09   Link #1047
serpiente
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Those boobs are freaking me out more than anything, if that's what you mean by disturbing

My problem is more along the lines of the pacing and direction this show is taking, which I'm sure you'd agree...is terribly slow. Not to mention we have not gotten much if any exposition in the last 3 episodes (Which is like the magic number of episodes you are given to succesfully capture the audience's interest, or less). And one can say the setting is strong, but certain stuff still don't make sense in context of the setting (Ghost bustan'? Oni killan'? Revolutionan'? For what?), which gives a certain disparity in what the show wants us to know, and what's it's showing us.

Edit: I was also wondering, but how consequential is the actual backstory with testament and the collapse of the alt universe? Other than the fact that it gives the setting a reason to have mutiple nationalities fighting over glorious nippon using future tech.

And here's my cynical POV: with a slow and deliberate exposition, the payoff at the middle or climax of show can end up extremely underwhelming (case in point: LOST, or if you want an anime example, NOEIN)

Ah, not to sounds like I'm just dissing on the show or anything, I'm just trying to come to terms on what my beef with the show actually is. And Aoi Toori is a much more FABULOUS protag than I thought, his scenes are always a delight, especially in episode 3.
To mi NOEIN is a great work, and it is loaded with cliffhangers, drama, great animation, character development and heavy emotions. I dont rmember having any extrmely underwhelming feeling in my experience as a viewer, quite the contrary.

Onto Episode 04:
We get unexpected automaton maiden action! Yay! Even mech action! And a bunch of old timers having a drink and what it seems some political discussions... more phenomena, and tectonic plates crashing down! And a new ending! The end of the world is near! The war has begun! Futayo commands her own ship! I want my subs!
serpiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 18:03   Link #1048
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
My problem is more along the lines of the pacing and direction this show is taking, which I'm sure you'd agree...is terribly slow. Not to mention we have not gotten much if any exposition in the last 3 episodes (Which is like the magic number of episodes you are given to succesfully capture the audience's interest, or less). And one can say the setting is strong, but certain stuff still don't make sense in context of the setting (Ghost bustan'? Oni killan'? Revolutionan'? For what?), which gives a certain disparity in what the show wants us to know, and what's it's showing us.
Its SLOW! Super SLOW!!!! I heard from novel readers that the book is just starting with the real story and it's just prologue yet. And it's already as thick as 22 volumes of index season 1. This story reminds me a lot of denyuden with the approach done by the author. He first wrote the setting of his story before the actual story. But it's terribly slow! From episode 1 until the latest only takes place from few hours in that universe or rather its just one day yet and it took that long already!!!! if I'm not fascinated by the way it's presented I might already drop it but not. It continues to interest me. From how will Aoi who is full of remorse plunge into the ongoing problems. Asama said that the Armageddon is coming. And the leaders are gathering plus one of the leaders is already plotting something. The questions on what and why that pops up in the story is the only driving thing that keeps me on to it. I don't like pointless fan service that's why I didn't like much animes that has big boobs girl and fight and fight and every hit the girl does a piece of clothe was remove. I hate those type of things. And this pointless big boobs aren't helping either. And if you look at the novel illustrations. There are more exaggerated bigger boobs than already presented that it's already senseless and out of proportions that graaaaaa what's with the darn big boobs. senseless and stupid fan service

EDIT:
Episode 4: shit happens
The story takes a huge turn on this episode. Aoi's facial expression before the episode break and the ending song shows things change. And they still did the obligatory girl wake up from the morning opening of the episode >.>
__________________


Last edited by tsunade666; 2011-10-22 at 19:17.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 19:17   Link #1049
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Sorry, but I can not stop being sarcastic about this adaption:

episode one: apocalypse, butts & tits, teenagers running around, eroge, a jerk => grope
episode two: infodump, butts & tits, a jerk, infodump, again the jerk => grope
episode three: infodump, butts & tits, infodump, a geezer => action? no... grope, a jerk (no after a mini-infodump he is a jerk for a reason)... and more butts & tits

Again don't get me wrong, the setting might be rich, the plot and characters amazing, BUT the format with which they are presented in the adaption is worse than a third-rate hentai, but bad enough to be funny.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 20:35   Link #1050
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Please stop, Malkuth. I know we can get along in the Haganai threads, but this is just provoking negative responses from the fans of Horizon.

I really don't want mod intervention going after your ass.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 20:39   Link #1051
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orange Road
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Sorry, but I can not stop being sarcastic about this adaption:
if you don't like, fine we heard it several times already...just go away like kaioshin_sama said

Idk know why you keep bashing one series unless you really want attentions/to be noticed, trolling or just a hater

and well because you implying that you are not trolling or hater in previous post, I guess the first one fit the bill now

and seriously, you are trying too hard on that part...

there is a limit for being an attention wh*re, but well...looks like it doesn't apply to you
__________________
articuzwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 20:46   Link #1052
Allen
メインヒロイン
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Spoiler for Ep4: Kyaa Kazuno-san!:
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:56   Link #1053
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
if you don't like, fine we heard it several times already...just go away like kaioshin_sama said

Idk know why you keep bashing one series unless you really want attentions/to be noticed, trolling or just a hater

and well because you implying that you are not trolling or hater in previous post, I guess the first one fit the bill now

and seriously, you are trying too hard on that part...

there is a limit for being an attention wh*re, but well...looks like it doesn't apply to you
LOL, no I am getting way more attention than anyone would like to (fucking again) in another thread...

Anyway, I do not get some you... I really like the show, it's funny, and long term might turn decent (DenYuuDen, started totally boring and metro-sexual, half-way became epic, but ended incomprehensible; Asura Cryin' had an amazing setting, story, and some memorable characters, but the animation and storytelling were tragic; Geass is one of the worst shows I have ever watched in my life, yet I love it), I just do appreciate this show and other things in a different way than you, I realize that you can not understand that, but I hope you can at least respect it.

Now if you really believe that I am trolling you (which I am not), well, don't feed the troll... Oh! and if you and the mods really believe that threads should only praise the shows, and be devoid of criticism and sarcasm, that's another story all-together

I do not neg-rep people in F/Z, P4, etc. because they miss stuff, or ask n00b question for missing hints, details... not even close to 5 minutes monologues; and definitely I would never ask mods to ban them from sake of the purity of my favourite franchise.

But all these won't change the fact that if one compresses 5 minutes of techno-bubbling heads into infodump, what I posted represents quite accurately what they showed us
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:20   Link #1054
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orange Road
Age: 24
Spoiler for 4:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
LOL, no I am getting way more attention than anyone would like to (fucking again) in another thread...
> implying you also want attention from this thread too

v poor old guy...
__________________

Last edited by articuzwolf; 2011-10-22 at 22:37. Reason: it's nice to be young isn't it? =)
articuzwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:28   Link #1055
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
^ Nope, I was not implying anything... just trying to weather the overly emotional internet youth
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:56   Link #1056
Aoi Toori
Aishiteru Banzai!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: on the Middle of Nowhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf
v poor old guy...
swt

well just let him be. if he want to keep posting, he's already on my ignore list. just pretend that he's helping to bump this topic.


finally watch this ep, only 1 word : amazing!!! >.<
__________________

Last edited by Aoi Toori; 2011-10-22 at 23:15.
Aoi Toori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 04:41   Link #1057
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
The new ED.....CEUI.....This is HEAVEN

So with the Ley Reactor melting down and Mikawa as a superweapons manufacturing site and the KPA and Espania factions moving, the shit is finally hitting the fan....
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 06:58   Link #1058
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
For obvious reasons that I cannot mention, would have to wait till Wednesday to properly understand this episode but regardless I'm sure the change into a more 'solemn' ED is a sign that things are not going to be sunshine and happy fun times.


The one thing I can say is that Kazuno vs Giant Mecha fight was awesome, I was worried that they'll make her too overpowered and twoshot the mecha or something.... It's always good when the 'enemies' have some standard.

Looks like alot of Animes are featuring fight scenes this week.


Edit: So the Japanese faction uses 'Jud' while the Espanas uses 'Tes' ?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-10-23 at 07:10.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 07:03   Link #1059
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Tes. as a shortcut for Testament Union.
Also, notice that the El Azul units shows up with the defense spell which depicts the spell card as filled with crosses and has the word "Defensa" on it. Although for some reason it also has the same Greek text as Adele's Acceleration spell.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 07:46   Link #1060
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
And the revolution begins...
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, fantasy, science fiction, sunrise

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.