AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-29, 05:22   Link #661
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

So I'm sittin' here enjoying me some penguindrum and boom, it turns dark wtf! That was just too delicious....
Old 2011-07-29, 05:27   Link #662
Sides

Awesome episode, ringo's insanity makes her so cute. The last few scenes made me think, if ringo actually writes anything into her diary, or if everything is pre-written and that she just ticks the boxes.
Old 2011-07-29, 05:55   Link #663
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

SHE ACTUALLY SANG OUT FABULOUS MAX~!!! SHE DID!! I SWEAR I HEARD THAT!

*ahem*

I think somebody forgot to leash in Ikuhara's madness for this episode, lulz.

As for the plot, first, Sho x Ringo ship confirmed, albeit Sho doesn't seem to like the idea very much; second, that actress is either an awesome woman or an awesome and dangerous woman who's trouble, either way Ringo doesn't stand a chance, so she might as well accept Shouma as her Destiny Prince. Third, did somebody misplaced Tom Riddle's Diary again? That diary, while bad news, is probably not *the* Penguin Drum, though it might be *a* Penguin Drum, whatever penguins are supposed to be doing with drums. Finally, I just noticed this episode continues the trend of having crazy great fun before throwing a deadly twist right into the end. It's almost like Code Geass, except the twists are cool and not so facepalm-worthy as Geass R2.

TL;DR -- FABULOUS MAX, out.
Old 2011-07-29, 08:03   Link #664
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Awesome! Tabuki and his girlfriend are 'old friends'? I'll take it, as I rather like her very much ("You don't stand a chance girl!"), and I much rather prefer ShoXRingo as a ship.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-07-29, 09:35   Link #665
Soliloquy
Perpetually Nonchalant

It's just as intriguing and quirky as it's ever been. What makes this show excellent is pure insanity and unpredictable twist, the visual and sound are the topping on the cake. One thing holds me back from liking it is probably the usual qualities of shoujo anime. However, the consistency and characterization more than make up for any flaws from my perspective. I guess Ringo is pretty much the only reason I am probably watching this show. Her constant knack for craziness is addictive. And for some reason I like watching the scene where penguindrum queen appears. That's gotta be one of the most attractive scene for me.

I'm kind of disappointed that the penguindrum queen didn't appear but the cliffhanger was quite intense. All around humour and good character interaction made this episode just as good as previous ones.
Old 2011-07-29, 10:37   Link #666
Preacher

So it seems girl with the Gun from OP is a killed?

Spoiler for 4chan find:
Old 2011-07-29, 10:43   Link #667
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It didn't take long for Ikuhara's love of 80s shoujo to take control in this show, and wow it went about it in such a fabulous fashion. Those cardboard stage shows were so good. I'm glad there were that many, because they totally controlled the episode.

Liking that more of the mystery elements are appearing. That last scene was pretty creepy.

Also that end card was so <3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Ikuhara storyboarded epsiodes 5 and 6, so I expect them to be more pivotal and even better.
Ikuhara is gonna go wild.
Old 2011-07-29, 11:33   Link #668
Shiina
ガ━━Σ(゚Д゚|||)━━ン!!

Another awesome episode! I love Ringo, she's crazy in such an amusing way. This show is giving me a soft spot for sparkly oldschool shoujo art, even though I'm about 20 years too late for that.

And wow, what just happened at the very end...
Old 2011-07-29, 12:10   Link #669
Preacher

I watched Utena, and loved it. This show however is hyped beyond reason (and i am one of the persons hyping it), but not really living up the expectations. Episode 1 was great, what went after - not really, except few selected moments.

The jokes, the directing, the "theatre". It could have been done better, at the moment i think it would be more enjoyable to read novel then watch the show...

Its not really great looking, deep or dramatic so far (despite people attempting to act like if it, not to disappoint themselves).

What holds me however, is the symbolism and the little plot elements scattared here and there. Because slowly things reveal themselves, pieces get in their places, and you look at what you watched in completely different way.

Thats what i like about Ikuhara, and at this field he did not disappoint. As i feel it now - you should watch this show in both directions. First from 1st episode to the currently available... and then backwards, because your view angle changes drastically. And hell, theres still 20 episodes left and in the end it will be completely different expirience from how we consider it now.
Old 2011-07-29, 13:40   Link #670
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I watched Utena, and loved it. This show however is hyped beyond reason (and i am one of the persons hyping it), but not really living up the expectations. Episode 1 was great, what went after - not really, except few selected moments.

The jokes, the directing, the "theatre". It could have been done better, at the moment i think it would be more enjoyable to read novel then watch the show...

Its not really great looking, deep or dramatic so far (despite people attempting to act like if it, not to disappoint themselves).

What holds me however, is the symbolism and the little plot elements scattared here and there. Because slowly things reveal themselves, pieces get in their places, and you look at what you watched in completely different way.

Thats what i like about Ikuhara, and at this field he did not disappoint. As i feel it now - you should watch this show in both directions. First from 1st episode to the currently available... and then backwards, because your view angle changes drastically. And hell, theres still 20 episodes left and in the end it will be completely different expirience from how we consider it now.
I think the hype has a LOT more to do with Ikuhara coming out of semi-retirement and Utena fans reliving that show vicariously through Penguin Drum than with the actual show itself. It's not terribly hard to read between the lines on this one and to be honest it's kind of understandable when your a fan of somebody and you wait this long to see a follow up to his debut.

Anyway the shows been getting steadily more interesting for me as time goes on, but I get the feeling I had to have seen all of Utena and familiarized myself with Ikuhara who has never meant anything to me (thread is basically as much Ikuhara/Utena chat as must as it is Mawaru Penguin Drum chat) to have even had the chance of being completely hooked early on as most of the people in this thread.

Personally I see this more as a fun quirky vaguely sexually charged show that has the chance of exploring some darker themes (and in fact already has) beneath it's bright exterior rather than the instant classic it's being made out to be though. I think it's best sold as that to any people that aren't familiar with Ikuhara and Utena, which is probably a lot of people considering Utena came out in the 90's and that's the guys only show prior to this.

On the plus side I don't really have otherworldy expectations of this show so I can probably enjoy it even if it doesn't live up to whatever standards the Ikuhara/Utena fans feel it should meet.

Anyway I'm actually really enjoying the addition of Ringo to the main cast here. Her character reminds me a bit of Wako from Star Driver (one of the few characters in that show I still really liked by the end along with Sugata) in just being a complete ditz that is borderline out of touch with reality and loves to fantasize. Really amusing character. Every scene with her in it in episode 04 is pretty much one of my favorite scenes.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-07-29 at 13:54.
Old 2011-07-29, 14:14   Link #671
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Firstly,IMO three things that this episode didn't do well:
  • the theater in Ringo's fantasy is too long every time. In fact i wished that it was not in the episode at all
  • the other bird watchers were not so artistic done. I means we saw that kind of directing before (in Utena for example when the student council meeting was in a middle of baseball match) but it was done much better with right camera focus throwing back and forward of the conversation
  • there is not enough gap between the penguins' animations and the main plot. So the penguin while is fun to watch... kinda distracting some time. Don't know why,because Ikuhara did these really well in episode 2 and 3

Anyway that is all for the rant. But wow can't believe that i didn't realise the teacher and his girl friend was the one in the OP. The situation changed, as now these two became much more suspicious. I also hopes that the Juri-look-alike (the one that instructed those girls ganging up on Kanba) is not behind the staircase incident (like her outlook and design so hopefully she is a good character). I don't like Ringo much through, as she is so insensitive when regard to Sho this episode. Favourite character is still the Penguin Queen, followed by Himari (wow her forehead is really shining)

Of the penguins: #2 is a glutton (can't believe how much did he eat and how shameless he did stealing people food) and #1 is a pervert, accidentally or not
Old 2011-07-29, 14:25   Link #672
zero7090

when i thought sho gonna jump and got the kiss, the penguin made me thought "oh so that is that trick, get the penguin to save ringo" then it just ....... and i know i was trolled

anyway: i can see the new eps gonna be dark, very dark.

p/s: i just suddenly recall the 1st ep when the 2 kids were talking about apple is the reward for those who chosen love over everything else. Then i start wonder apple - ringo is that a pun intended by the director.
Old 2011-07-29, 14:43   Link #673
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
[*]the theater in Ringo's fantasy is too long every time. In fact i wished that it was not in the episode at all
Why? To me it basically made the episode. I haven't chuckled through an anime episode like that since the Tiger & Bunny episode with the Blue Rose stalker man. Without those scenes the episode and frankly the show loses a lot of lustre and becomes a whole lot more humdrum.

Quote:
[*]the other bird watchers were not so artistic done. I means we saw that kind of directing before (in Utena for example when the student council meeting was in a middle of baseball match) but it was done much better with right camera focus throwing back and forward of the conversation
Wasn't really paying attention to this cause Ringo was basically the centre of attention the whole time for me. I can't stress enough how much this character has brought me more into the show with her antics. She's just a legimately funny and amusing doormat of a female character of the kind I don't get to see all that often in anime anymore.

Quote:
[*]there is not enough gap between the penguins' animations and the main plot. So the penguin while is fun to watch... kinda distracting some time. Don't know why,because Ikuhara did these really well in episode 2 and 3.
Again, why does it matter when Ringo is basically stealing the show the whole damn episode. I mean the penguins did a lot of their usual slapstick stuff this episode, but I was honestly barely paying attention and don't see why anything the penguins did in this episode should really matter.

Quote:
I don't like Ringo much through, as i don't like how insensitive she is (regard to Sho). Favourite character is still the Penguin Queen, followed by Himari (wowher forehead is really shining)
This makes me really sad cause as I said without the Ringo character I'm probably not watching the show week to week at this point. To be honest I couldn't really care less about the Penguin Queen at this point cause she's not really a character to me. All she's done is show up in stock footage, pose around fabulously, have her clothes explode off (kind of), and say the same basic lines over and over again while barking orders and demeaning the main characters. She seems extremely cold and like an existance that operates outside of the events we see in this show, again probably due to having basically zero development so far.

I do however like Himari, but not because of the shiny forehead gimmick so much as her character development so far. She basically won me over in the first episode by being that likeable little sister character that you want to see make it through the series because she's clearly really close to her brothers and looks after them as much as they look after her. Their existence seems to complete each other and forms a pretty strong family bond theme in the early episodes which again had that not happened I would probably not being watching as of now.
Old 2011-07-29, 14:45   Link #674
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Episode 4 was the weakest one so far for me, probably because I thought there were too many theater pieces (Though a couple of them were amusing).

I too really like Ringo's character despite the creepy stalker side of her. She's just fun to watch.

I keep getting the feeling that Sho and Kanba ar emost likely the most creepy ones in this show, but we'll see .

I too wanted more of the penguin queen this episode, but I guess that's alright.

However, while I have been enjoying Ikuhara's style very much so, I would like to see some real plot progression to really sink my teeth into. Not the calm before the storm or the prelude, or hints, or little signs of development underneath everything, but something tangible I can really see.
Old 2011-07-29, 14:52   Link #675
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Why? To me it basically made the episode. I haven't chuckled through an anime episode like that since the Tiger & Bunny episode with the Blue Rose stalker man. Without those scenes the episode and frankly the show loses a lot of lustre and becomes a whole lot more humdrum.

Wasn't really paying attention to this cause Ringo was basically the centre of attention the whole time for me. I can't stress enough how much this character has brought me more into the show with her antics. She's just a legimately funny and amusing doormat of a female character of the kind I don't get to see all that often in anime anymore.

Again, why does it matter when Ringo is basically stealing the show the whole damn episode. I mean the penguins did a lot of their usual slapstick stuff this episode, but I was honestly barely paying attention and don't see why anything the penguins did in this episode should really matter.

This makes me really sad cause as I said without the Ringo character I'm probably not watching the show week to week at this point. To be honest I couldn't really care less about the Penguin Queen at this point cause she's not really a character to me. All she's done is show up in stock footage, pose around fabulously, have her clothes explode off (kind of), and say the same basic lines over and over again while barking orders and demeaning the main characters. She seems extremely cold and like an existance that operates outside of the events we see in this show, again probably due to having basically zero development so far.

I do however like Himari, but not because of the shiny forehead gimmick so much as her character development so far. She basically won me over in the first episode by being that likeable little sister character that you want to see make it through the series because she's clearly really close to her brothers and looks after them as much as they look after her. Their existence seems to complete each other and forms a pretty strong family bond theme in the early episodes which again had that not happened I would probably not being watching as of now.
Don't worry, man,it's just a matter of taste, like how i can't get through past 3 (can't even remember if it was 3) episodes of Bunny&Tiger

I couldn't pay as much attention toward Ringo as yours, so that's why there is focus and hence complaints on the artistic background (penguin, bird watchers) or the animation choice for fantasy theater sequences.
Old 2011-07-29, 15:26   Link #676
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Don't worry, man,it's just a matter of taste, like how i can't get through past 3 (can't even remember if it was 3) episodes of Bunny&Tiger

I couldn't pay as much attention toward Ringo as yours, so that's why there is focus and hence complaints on the artistic background (penguin, bird watchers) or the animation choice for fantasy theater sequences.
Yeah it's a good thing this show seems to be opening itself up fast to different types of viewers. This episode was probably made for viewers like me and is probably my favorite so far.

I actually liked the animation choice for the theatre scenes and felt it greatly enhanced what otherwise might have been duller humour. I have a feeling I'm going to be mostly alone in my reactions to this episode but then again what else is new.

Anyway count me and as one who didn't really miss the Penguin Queen in this episode at all. I've seen her whole routine 3 times now and well....yeah...it hasn't changed much. It was a neat gimmick in the first episode, but I'm glad Ikuhara realizes that having it in every single episode will wear out it's charm fastt. Hopefully this break from her means next time we see her she'll do something outside of the usual stock footage and we'll actually get down to what she's supposed to be.
Old 2011-07-29, 15:29   Link #677
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I did think they were really funny. I also thought they went on too long. These are not mutually exclusive opinions.

I could even add in that I did pause and revert a few times to check out what the hell the penguins were doing -- and they were also very funny, and yet they were distracting me from watching the episode straight.

As I said, somebody forgot to leash in Ikuhara. Though I'm not exactly sure how one would exactly leash in the director/main creative force of a series in the first place...
Old 2011-07-29, 15:41   Link #678
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Best part was when the actress said Ringo doesn't stand a chance against her. So Sho found the diary but i guess he didn't understand it yet. So instead of Tabuki Sho is Ringo's fated man. So did RIngo turn from a stalker into a murderer?
Old 2011-07-29, 15:43   Link #679
Dawnstorm

How does the penguin logo appear on the back of a skunk? Marked by the penguin drum as a servant of fate?
Old 2011-07-29, 15:51   Link #680
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
How does the penguin logo appear on the back of a skunk? Marked by the penguin drum as a servant of fate?
Ikuhara said penguins are not the only animal companions to appear in the series. So if I had to guess I say the skunk is Yuri's animal companion (hence the mark). It fits, since Yuri knew Ringo was after Tabuki, and the skunk was clearly set agaist Ringo the whole episode.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism