AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-19, 23:02   Link #861
Keriaku
Thought Being

I haven't seen episode 6 yet, but after watching through Episode 4 and 5, I had an idea.
Is it possible that the setting of Mawaru Penguin Drum is a sequel of sorts to Utena, possibly being the world outside of the 'egg's shell'? I know there must be a reason why The characters in the ending are wearing an outfit similar to Utena, and being the same creative director, it is a possibility that they are connected. In short, the world of Mawaru Penguin Drum would be where Utena ends up after revolutionizing the world.

Just an idea, any thoughts on this?
Old 2011-08-19, 23:28   Link #862
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku View Post
I haven't seen episode 6 yet, but after watching through Episode 4 and 5, I had an idea.
Is it possible that the setting of Mawaru Penguin Drum is a sequel of sorts to Utena, possibly being the world outside of the 'egg's shell'? I know there must be a reason why The characters in the ending are wearing an outfit similar to Utena, and being the same creative director, it is a possibility that they are connected. In short, the world of Mawaru Penguin Drum would be where Utena ends up after revolutionizing the world.

Just an idea, any thoughts on this?
There's no chance that this is the case. Ikuhara already covered everything he wanted to in Utena, and he is extremely unlikely to revisit it without a damned good reason.
Old 2011-08-19, 23:43   Link #863
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Just watched episode 6 and... the brothers haven't been together in the whole episode *very lonely*

[QUOTE=Haak;3735064 I think it's clear she'll eventually get over all of this and start living a more normal life. [/QUOTE]I can also see it happening, but I think we can't be sure about that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I mean, the girl has issues, yes, but her parents are the ones to blame for this.
Many psychological problems are rooted in the household o_o Poor girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
It seems Project M stands for "Momoka"
Makes me think that Natsume also knows Momoka, or is connected to her o_o
Old 2011-08-20, 00:16   Link #864
TheEroKing

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You know, I was fully expecting Ringo's [First Night] to be completely screwed over by Yuri having a REAL first night with Tabuki
OMG I was thinking the exact same thing while watching that scene
Old 2011-08-20, 00:48   Link #865
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Hmm... so it was basically it was fate that got between Tabuki and Momoka? Such a shame; they sounded like the epitome of childhood friend couples. Oh well, gotta move on... and it doesn't help that Ringo and Sho are so cute together.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-08-20, 02:22   Link #866
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

PenguinDrum is becoming real challenge for the show of the year with what it's offering...

I started to feel sympathy for Ringo now. Was surprised that she was also haunted by the idea of "eternal" (and the whole "the end of the world" in the OP as well, so much homage paying toward Utena). It seems her love toward Tabuki might not be real at this rate (waving ShoxRingo flag, or maybe the triangle ShoxRingoxHimari!!). Kanba also got on my good side since the last episode

The penguins in this episode are a much improvement from ep 4 through, as they really does not stand out too much to distract me from the plot. Btw, the black penguin is confirmed to be the villian's one

Now i can't wait for more. Especially Himari and the Penguin Queen also please. They rarely have enough screen time recently

PS: yes, the fan speculation on Ringo's sister and her diary was spot on!!
Old 2011-08-20, 03:18   Link #867
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
and it doesn't help that Ringo and Sho are so cute together.
The way i see it, Sho is cute with everyone.
Old 2011-08-20, 03:37   Link #868
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
if I understood correctly she is trying to become her sister in order to make her mother happy by re-enacting alone events she interprets (probably wrong) from her long dead siter's diary, while misinterpreting them as fated, under the delusion/misinterpretation of her parents' break up dialogue about accepting fate
I'm not sure about it being a diary of events that have happened. It's pretty clear that Ringo has been using the diary for events that will happen, as she's been pretty meticulous about times and such in her plans. Now this could just be her warped mind throwing us off, but either way I doubt the diary is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I wonder how much of her true self is even still in there? It looks like she's "been" Momoka for some time now.
Was she ever Ringo? It's sometimes difficult for children to be "themselves" when another sibling is, or appears to have been, given more favor. In this case Momoka's death has been a cloud over the family, so it's understandable the path Ringo took.

I don't think she's Momoka either....but then I'm scratching my head at this show wondering where the symbolism stops and the magic begins. Is there any? I dunno. For example I could speculate that Ringo's "fever" had more to do with the diary then just her being a stalker. The notion that she is trying too hard to become Momoka (or become "one" with her as one line seemed to suggest)....how figurative or literal is it? Is the fever just her over exerting herself, or is she (for lack of a better way of putting it) slowly "becoming" her sister? Is she just messed up mentally from the divorce, or is she literally becoming her sister?

Notice how Momoka is never pictured (the closest we got was a shadow which looked like Ringo imo)? I'm sure that's plot related.

I'm enjoying this show a lot, but it's sometimes hard to figure out how literal we're supposed to interpret a scene.
Old 2011-08-20, 04:17   Link #869
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm enjoying this show a lot, but it's sometimes hard to figure out how literal we're supposed to interpret a scene.
Welcome to a show created by Ikuhara. That's his magic, and what a few of us here have come to love thanks to the one and only Revolutionary Girl Utena.
Old 2011-08-20, 04:32   Link #870
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Was she ever Ringo?
I think when she was around Himari (hence her mind is not occupied by the fate diary ),she behaved a little bit different than her normal stalker/on-mission self. So yes, i think she is a little bit differnt being Ringo
Old 2011-08-20, 04:35   Link #871
Haak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
We're talking Ikuhara here so I wouldn't bet on that myself.
To be honest with you, I haven't seen RGU nor anything he's made so I have no idea what to expect of him the same way people who didn't know who Urobuchi Gen was, didn't know what to expect of Madoka Magica. I just thought of watching the first episode because it had the word "Penguin" in the title and was immediately sold on a brilliant first episode.
Old 2011-08-20, 07:51   Link #872
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

With regard to memory wiping slingshot, does it only wipe the memory of the person regarding Kanba? Or does it change their personality as well? I say this because the girl in hospital was acting like she was a famous Idol. Was she an Idol prior to the episode?

Also, I think this show is going from strength to strength. Episode 4 and 5 weren't quite as good as 2 and 3, but this one is up again in quality, really moving the plot along.

Though I have to echo others in saying I have no idea how they're going to fill out 24 episodes. This is getting to be a pretty difficult to classify Anime. Not really fitting any kind of format or pattern I'm familiar with, never the less it's working. But I can't see it maintaining it's large focus on Ringo for much longer. Though there are plenty of other characters who could be delved into.

Still, if this show manages to continue it's momentum I'd put it as show of the year. It's clearly been well planned out, so I think it should manage to bring things to a good conclusion.
Old 2011-08-20, 07:58   Link #873
Haak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
With regard to memory wiping slingshot, does it only wipe the memory of the person regarding Kanba? Or does it change their personality as well? I say this because the girl in hospital was acting like she was a famous Idol. Was she an Idol prior to the episode?.
She had quite a lot of presents in her room so I think we can assume so. Remember when Ringo's friends talked about Kanba, one of them mentioned that he dumped a famous idol. Does anyone know who voices Asami btw? She sounds an awful lot like Saori Hayami.
Old 2011-08-20, 08:27   Link #874
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Hmm... so it was basically it was fate that got between Tabuki and Momoka? Such a shame; they sounded like the epitome of childhood friend couples. Oh well, gotta move on... and it doesn't help that Ringo and Sho are so cute together.
So far it seems everything in Ringo's diary can apply to Shouma too. I mean he did get her sleeper's breath on him.

Well I ship them!
Old 2011-08-20, 08:41   Link #875
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm hesitant to make any predictions about this series, but I do predict that Shouma and Ringo are going to get further entangled and all the non-specific predictions that don't refer specifically to Tabuki are probably going to end out involving Shouma, much to Ringo's Chagrin, I imagine.
Old 2011-08-20, 09:39   Link #876
Tom Bombadil

hmmm, when the girl was playing the laser sling shot things, all I could think about is "do not try this at home, kids: you might take some eyeballs out". Other than that, I feel hardly impressed by the "developments".
Old 2011-08-20, 09:41   Link #877
Shadow5YA

Ringo's insanity interests me more than that slingshot sniper agent.
Old 2011-08-20, 09:50   Link #878
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Does anyone know who voices Asami btw? She sounds an awful lot like Saori Hayami.
That'd be because she's voiced by Saori Hayami.
Old 2011-08-20, 10:55   Link #879
klare

it is just like someone mentioned here, Ringo is following her sister's diary but doing it in a crazy way...

the slingshot girl with penguin also has brown hair, could she be Momoka?
Old 2011-08-20, 11:04   Link #880
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Not really the right age...

What age would Momoka have been when she died? In the flashback Ringo looked to be 5 or 6, and the 6 year flash forward featured Tabuki as a high school student, so about 17. I'd presume then that Tabuki (and by extension Momoka) is 6 years older then Ringo, and that would have made her about 5 or 6 when she died, when Ringo was born, or was 1.

That sound right?
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism