AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-04-08, 21:17   Link #41
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
How can I set my Heuristics sensitivity to high? That is something for Avast that allows it to block more sites, right? Ones potentially dangerous? Please tell me how to access those settings.
Under the system shields tab (Sorry, I'm still using the Pirate Talk language setting), click on "Web Shield", then click on the "Expert Settings" button, and you will find it under "Sensitivity". (Web Shield is the only one I can personally recommend changing the heuristics to high)

Under the "Additional Protection" tab (Avast! version 6), you can find the "Site Blocking" tab, which will let you set which sites Avast! will block. Of course, you'll need to check "Enable site blocking" before you can add to and activate the blacklist. You shouldn't really need this function unless you know what you are doing.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:52   Link #42
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Thanks. Under those settings, it asks if you want to scan all files (and says it'll take long for big files). That is under the setting Sensitivity, below Heuristics. Is it recommended to select that? Or just keep it unchecked?
Old 2011-04-08, 22:40   Link #43
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Thanks. Under those settings, it asks if you want to scan all files (and says it'll take long for big files). That is under the setting Sensitivity, below Heuristics. Is it recommended to select that? Or just keep it unchecked?
It really depends on the computer- if you have a faster computer, checking "Scan contents of all files" shouldn't really impact on performance (considering that generally, Web Shield items such as web pages, and browser files such as FF's session.json, are quite small in size). Avoid checking it on the File Shield, unless you are absolutely paranoid.
Old 2011-04-09, 06:47   Link #44
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
You are right, I just don't want to download too many programs epsecially since our computers have ESET (even if it hasn't been updated) is on our computers.
What does ESET have anything to do with this ? And why it has not been updated ? Just download the damn HjT program, run in administrator and scan / save logfile, then paste it here. HJT isn't even a virus program so it can't interfere with ESET and neither will MalwareBytes because MWB and ESET are completely two different things.

.. but you'd really be better off just reinstalling windows.

And to Urzu and others .. Save some money and invest in a good antivirus. Avast is crap, so is anything else that is free. I've never had to worry about crap getting in my computer since I bought ESET NOD32.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-04-10 at 01:53. Reason: Rude bit removed!
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 08:01   Link #45
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The best way to immunize your PC against future virus threats is here.
No OS is virus free anymore since there are cross platform viruses that can also infect linux operating systems as well as windows and MAC.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 08:12   Link #46
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
And to Urzu and others .. Save some money and invest in a good antivirus. Avast is crap, so is anything else that is free. I've never had to worry about crap getting in my computer since I bought ESET NOD32.
Could you justify/explain your answer and define what you mean by a 'good' and 'crap' antivirus?
Old 2011-04-09, 12:58   Link #47
Random32
Also a Lolicon

No antivirus can block everything. There is no alternative to back ups and good behavior.

Personally I've used Avira Free, Avast Free, and MS Security Essentials on various computers. They work most of the time.

I also image my OS drive often, and if anything goes wrong, I can just reimage the drive.

Last edited by Random32; 2011-04-09 at 20:33.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 14:05   Link #48
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

If there is a foolproof antivirus in the world, it would work like the Blasterworm : shuts down your computer everytime it boots up.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 14:47   Link #49
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
The thing is virusses cannot be blocked it is entirely up to the user to prevent getting infected in the first place. I have never paid for an anti virus and int he 8 years I had this computer I got infected once because I was stupid enough to plug in an infected usb and it was beyond saving almost right away, not even nod32 would eb able to help me because the darn windows system.exe would shut down causing my pc to reboot in 30 seconds upon start up in a loop every time.

There are just several things you need in order to prevent getting infected, because no AV can prevent you from getting infected online because of some loop in the coding of a website. Add blockers help with that more than an AV can ever do. The google redirect can happen even with a proper shield up.

Avast free is just a few days behind on what updates the paid version gets. There are not so many drastic changes in between updates, maybe the library for virusses get expanded but even then if you don't act silly online then you can't get infected more or lesser times than with a paid virus scan.

Back on track because this topic was originally made for OP to solve a problem, however OP if you do not wish to install any programs that might help constantate the source of your virus then there is little we can do.

Some programs are very small in size and can easily be uninstalled afterward, stop being such a pc noob and put some effort into it otherwise you will never have that virus gone.
There isn't a magic fix button in some cases, so do you want our help or not.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 16:56   Link #50
Random32
Also a Lolicon

No AV knows what every virus is and how to get rid of it. There a heuristics, but they can give false alarms and be coded around.

No AV is invincible, some are definitely better than others though.
Old 2011-04-09, 18:23   Link #51
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
^Beyond saving ... Yeah right. If you had booted to safe mode, wouldn't it load only system essentials meaning that loop couldn't have happened. And even if it happened in safe mode ... You know, this is where Linux comes in handy. Have a live cd for Ubuntu or some other version of Linux on DVD and if you run into severe problems like this .. Put the CD in, boot to the live mode and you can then delete stuff from your windows bypassing any locks or such that may have been placed to the files so that they could not be deleted. Or even better ; Install some version of Linux next to your Windows so even if there is a time where you can't boot to your OS, you can always access your computer files from another OS. I personally have something like a Live cd would offer built into my motherboard so I can access my files always even if I uninstalled WIndows.

And do you have even any idea what you are talking about ? What do you mean no AV can stop from getting infected ? What's the point of an AV in the first place then ? Cause I'll tell you what, NOD32 does hell of a good job from getting me infected.

Here's an example : I download a game, and I need to use an exe to it to crack the game. ( Yeah yeah dirty pirate whatever, lets move on ) .. The exe file is in a rar package. And guess what happens when I try to extract that '' infected '' file ? ( AV's see them as infected because they modify files which is exactly that viruses do ) .. It guarantines and deletes it before it has even been extracted to the folder I tried to extract it to. Or even better, sometimes I can't even open the RAR Package. This is where it gets annoying as I explained before but I can go around this if I want, it just requires some extra fiddling. Anyway it's better like this because some game cracks aren't cracks at all, just malware/trojans or other crap.

I've also had cases where I've went to some shady sites related to cracking a game or stuff .. Some of those sites are created for the single purpose of getting your PC infected with something and do not even host the files I am looking for ... And when I try to enter such site, NOD32 stops the connection to the website automatically and I can't access it even if I wanted to.

What I wrote above are few of the cases that have gotten me infected in the past. And that's where I used free AV's .. AVG and Avast among many others. That includes some firewalls too but I can't remember their names.

I am pretty sure it's a the job of a firewall to stop viruses getting in the first place though, and then AV has to do the cleanup if something gets in. I don't have any experience in that field though because everything I've used turned out awful. Especially Windows Firewall .. never ever use that crap. The reason I've no experience is because NOD32 does everything an AV should, and more ... that includes, the job of a firewall. I am running now just Windows Firewall so that it would complaining about a security problem.

Also it really depends on the user and what sites you browse. What I wrote above is easy way to get infected without proper protection but there are other ways too .. If all you browse is something like NyaaTorrents, Animesuki, Sankakucomplex and/or couple forums .. Yeah you'd be safe even with no protection at all.
Sometimes it is just best to stop posting.
You have no idea what situation I was in so it is easy to say try Linux specially when I use this computer for more things that what you list that just cannot be done in Linux. Like I said this thread is nto about Linux so leave it before it gets derailed again.

Your first example makes no sense, any AV would do that any Av can easily by pass it. You second "shady sites" mention is why I said that it is sometimes up to the user themselves, why visit a shady site when there are tons of safe sites out there to get precious cracks, serials etc.

I am not even going to add what else I want to say because it will only derail this thread even further.
Even with Nod32 you can get infected just as much as you can with a free AV which you so obviously seem to hate. The combination of AV and the user's choice determine the actual security, so even with the most expensive or best listed AV you can still get face rolled into oblivion if you visit shady sites which in many cases are not needed since cracks and serials are avaliable at more legit places rather than those shady sites you mention and which I used to visit like 4 years ago for a last time, you can still get infected an AV cannot always prevent that.

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2011-04-09 at 18:41.
Old 2011-04-09, 20:17   Link #52
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

I am saying leave it because right now this is turning into a hate thread and so for the third time I am adding that this topic is for OP to fix her problem and not for random rantings why nod32 is supposedly supperior, how you suddenly are a goeroe at knowing what other infections etc. I had and tell me I could fix it with Linux (while it took me 1 afternoon to fix by just entering a windows cd and reinstalling windows without losing any data except registry keys) while you didn't even know what was going on other than it rebooted that entire discussion about it is not even relevant to this thread so why would you even keep on pushing and pushing your own forced opinion which you state as facts on others.

I am not going to discus it further, I am still waiting for OP to post that Hijack this log so we can finally get back on track. Though if this keeps on I just hope someone locks this topic. I am holding back at this moment and I am not going to discuss this useless argument any further because I am not 12 years old and feel the need to fuel the discussion further.
Old 2011-04-09, 20:31   Link #53
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Your post however, said that '' no viruses can be blocked '' .. That would imply that having an AV or FW is useless because they will not do anything.
I had a poor choice of words there. Everything would have made a much better choice than anything. Please forgive my English skills when I'm sleepy. Fixed.
Old 2011-04-09, 21:33   Link #54
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
This post was actually meant for Karuma who said so, too. But whatever, I am going to withdraw from this thread because of a certain someone who likes to read between lines and doesn't see the actual point I am trying to make.

To OP : When you get HJT and run the scan and get a logfile, paste it here and it will tell you what is safe, what isn't and what is unknown. There are usually user reviews on files so you can sort out the bad ones from good ones. There are also forums that specialize in examining HjT logfiles so you can post the logfile to one of those, too. And just so you know : You don't need install HjT. It runs as a standalone exe file that you can just download and put on your desktop.
Old 2011-04-10, 01:56   Link #55
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Ok, things are getting a little too heated around here and I am gonna have to ask everyone to chill out before the thread derails even further.