AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-06-24, 11:02   Link #281
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They had terraform ships, but otherwise they were unarmed.
Ships with giant tentacles and fighter jets.

They were hardly defenseless.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 11:30   Link #282
hyl
sneaking like a cat

I am pretty sure Zod even told that his group was salvaging abandonned Kryptonian outposts for weapons and such
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 11:58   Link #283
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

For humans, there is no such thing as an "unarmed" kryptonian, they're walking nukes.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 21:36   Link #284
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
For humans, there is no such thing as an "unarmed" kryptonian, they're walking nukes.
Unless they're inside one of their own ships.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 13:54   Link #285
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Just saw this the other day. I was pretty impressed with the new version of General Zod. It looks like I'll have to revise my old meme pic of him.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, I liked the movie overall.

Endless "Not just one anymore" Soul
Old 2013-07-08, 17:07   Link #286
Samari
World's Greatest

I have a question I stumbled across on another forum.

Spoiler:

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 18:43   Link #287
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I have a question I stumbled across on another forum.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2013-07-08, 20:10   Link #288
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-07-08, 20:12   Link #289
GDB

The movie's been out for a month. There's really no need for spoiler boxes anymore.

And clearly they couldn't easily kill Kal-El, otherwise they would have. The real question is why they didn't just ask him nicely (back when they didn't realize it was in his cells themselves) to help repopulate the race on Mars while leaving Earth alone.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 20:14   Link #290
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2013-07-09, 02:07   Link #291
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Well Mars is right next door. If they could travel to Earth all the way from Krypton, going to Mars wouldn't be a problem.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-07-09, 02:50   Link #292
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Yeah, my thought as soon as I saw the 'world machine' was "he could easily get Ka'el on side if he was slightly less bone headed. Strike an alliance with the humans, or at least be friendly, terraform mars, have Ka'el help provide information from the codex and rebuild Krypton... happy days for all involved." Hell it'd be almost the plot from Macross at that point IIRC... lols.

But that depended on Zod being less of a idiot by being blinded by his desire for revenge using his fanaticism to see Krypton remade.

Good movie though. The QQ about Superman causing so much collateral I think is a little unfair. THe bulk of it was Zod and Co. Nevermind that movies these days need such levels of destruction, otherwise it won't hold the kiddies attentions.

I thought that female soldier, Faora-Ul, was pretty cool to. The... banter, if you will, between her and Detective Stabler was great. Fan-fic material there I'm sure.
Old 2013-07-09, 08:31   Link #293
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Nevermind that movies these days need such levels of destruction, otherwise it won't hold the kiddies attentions.
Marvel movies don't need that level of destruction to hold "kiddies attentions". If you have to rely on the "Michael Bay effect" to keep people's attention, that means you have a pretty shitty movie.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 09:20   Link #294
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Good movie though. The QQ about Superman causing so much collateral I think is a little unfair. THe bulk of it was Zod and Co. Nevermind that movies these days need such levels of destruction, otherwise it won't hold the kiddies attentions.
I think that's the wrong way to view it. Yes. Trying to blame Superman for the destruction is unfair, but that viewpoint brushes aside an important factoid. Allot of moviegoers left the theater feeling upset/troubled about the amount of destruction that happened. This just means that the filmmakers did something wrong. Because they certainly weren't trying to end this movie on a bleak and somber note.

Here's the problem Man of Steel has. It subjects the viewer to watching a few hundred thousand people die (we see hundreds of people get lifted into the air, then smashed against the ground, so the viewer is NOT Just thinking buildings toppling) as metropolis gets turned into a parking lot. This is some pretty heavy stuff. I wonder what kind of catharsis we get to help the viewer come to terms/reflect over this level of destruction? ...oh. We get nothing. We get a quirky scene of Superman talking to the military general, that officer lady joking that he's kinda hot, and Clark Kent going to work at the Daily Planet that is quite mysteriously not ground into paste.

I think that's the real reason people are irritated with the level of destruction in the film. It was too gritty to be a spectacle, and it wasn't given enough consideration to be taken seriously. It's a maelstrom of destruction that just leaves you feeling a bit irritated at the film in a way you can't quite put your finger on. Hence, lots of people complaining about Metropolis getting totaled.
Quote:
I thought that female soldier, Faora-Ul, was pretty cool to. The... banter, if you will, between her and Detective Stabler was great. Fan-fic material there I'm sure.
She WAS pretty cool. And it was a very interesting side bit when the 7.5 foot soldier seemed to be so concerned for her after she was injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Marvel movies don't need that level of destruction to hold "kiddies attentions". If you have to rely on the "Michael Bay effect" to keep people's attention, that means you have a pretty shitty movie.
I don't wanna say Man of Steel was like a Michael Bay Movie...but allot of its action sequences kinda had that sorta vibe to it.

I think the problem is that in Man of Steel, the action sequences weren't awe inspiring. There was shit happening. People got punched through buildings. But nothing really made me go "WOW!" in the same way a certain scene from a certain Marvel movie did.

YouTube

Bruce doesn't do anything half as incredible as what Superman does casually in this movie. But this is the moment in the Avengers that floored everyone in the audience. Especially when you saw it in theaters.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:08   Link #295
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
She WAS pretty cool. And it was a very interesting side bit when the 7.5 foot soldier seemed to be so concerned for her after she was injured.
In a way it was a hook for making her and, by extension, the Kryptonians more relateable. But they kind of leapt over that boat and into the shallow waters of the Bay .

They gave the impression that Zod wanted to save his people, but he just comes off as a madman. There wasn't any real good build up to make him a good character, he was just the archtypical "I'm angry so I'm going to make you and everyone else feel my pain.. boo hoo" kind of character. The closest thing that made him in anyway relateable was only through proxy where his soldiers show such loyalty to each other. Loyalty in defending and assisting their own is a reflection of good leadership, but... yeah.

They could have approached the film quite differently, but than it would probably be less action (and Bayitis), and more humanitarian drama... kind of like District 9 is I guess, (not that I've seen it).

I guess I just wanted a 'deep' enemy that you could feel the motives of, and sadly Zod ended up more wading pool level. There's stuff there but, but you have to submerge yourself to find it.
Old 2013-07-10, 06:29   Link #296
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author

Am I the only one that was totally underwhelmed by The Avengers?

Hardly felt Super, Man of Steel on the other hand is very super.
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 08:06   Link #297
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Am I the only one that was totally underwhelmed by The Avengers?

Hardly felt Super, Man of Steel on the other hand is very super.
*shrugs* guess it's just personal preference. I personally just felt a hard time feeling awed by some Kryptonian getting tossed through a building for the 16th time.
Old 2013-07-10, 18:24   Link #298
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

The fights were quite Dragonball Z-ish with the levels of mayhem put out.
Old 2013-07-13, 14:50   Link #299
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Saw it at last. I can't really say I had a good time. Several things bugged me:
- the Kryptonians as a race were suicidal. All the future of their race in one relatively unguarded skull?
- Zod wasn't good at his job. Not only did he get his ass kicked by a scientist, but his coup was put down in what, less than an hour? It's worse than 1923 Hitler.
- The big one: what the hell was that about a lack of morality? Why did they have to make Faora-Ur (and by extensions the Zod-ites) a "for the Evulz" kind of villain? They're soldiers fighting to save or rebuild their species. That's more than enough motivation. And they're willing to go genocidal for it, which is enough villainy. The pseudo darwinism seemed really out of place, especially since the "proper death" line made her more of proud warrior, respecting another person's willingness to fight to the last to defend his people, no matter the odds. And if they needed a reason for her superiority (or feeling of superiority), how about the fact she was a trained soldier who'd fought people in her weight class before, while the worst Clark had had to fear thus far was people breaking their fist on his face?
- Zod is an idiot. Why did he endanger critical equipment instead of leaving it in space till he had all the pieces? Heck, why did he insist on destroying Earth instead of asking Clark for the codex nicely and explain he'd use it and some inhabited outpost planet (of which there were plenty, apparently) to rebuild Krypton? And as a footnote: why did he want Lois for?
- how did Clark get a job? He's 33 and has no work history. It doesn't look like he even went to college, and had never shown any prior desire to be a journalist, anyway. On seeing his resume, wouldn't the first question be "why did you spend the last 15 years in prison for?"
- how come the government can't find him? They know his age and state of origin, even if they don't make the Smallville connection. Plus, Lois did it in, what, months? Weeks? Days?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2013-07-13 at 15:01.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 07:00   Link #300
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube

I'm Rich Batman!