AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-04-06, 23:01   Link #1
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Graphics Card Recommendations The Sequel

So sometime around last year I made a thread asking about recommendations about some good GPU's to get, with equivalent - slightly better graphics power around the $100-150 price range.

New graphics cards released and a better budget since then now has me reevaluating my wants once again, so this time I'd like to ask around for opinions and suggestions on some good GPU's from the last couple of years with much better graphics than the 9800GT, but with the upper limit of $300 this time. Nvidia preferred, but ATI recommendations are fine too.

Any inputs appreciated.

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 01:58   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
GTX 560 Ti.

'nuff said.

Edit: The 2GB version, of course. Big frame buffer FTW!

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2011-04-07 at 02:08.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 04:17   Link #3
iceyfw

gtx 560 ti like the guy above me said. it's the *sweet spot* for price and performance in the 500 line-up just like the gtx460 was when it made its debut in the 400 line-up.

also palit is the only gpu vendor who is selling the 2gb right now. i've never heard anything about them, but it is most likely the card you will want to get with your 300 bucks. and be sure to make sure your psu can handle it.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 04:51   Link #4
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Read some reviews on the GTX 560 Ti, and I'm very much liking what I'm seeing so far. Just need to see how much they sell it for over here

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 12:22   Link #5
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

GTX 560 Ti if you want to stick with the green team.

Also consider the 6950 from ATI. Faster out of the box comes with 2gb standard and if you get a revision 1 can unlock to a 6970. Depending on where you live could be cheaper or around the same price as a 560 Ti as well.
liquidmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 15:05   Link #6
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

If you run a MSI mobo you might want to keep to GTX 560 and similar NVIDIA cards - for some reason, ATI cards don't like MSI boards and tend to give alot of -conflicts-.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 15:08   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I don't know about where you are, but Google's showing prices of $280-300 for the 2GB version and $230-250 for the 1GB version.

http://www.amazon.com/Palit-Geforce-.../dp/B004L2LB0Q

Good price.
Old 2011-04-07, 17:44   Link #8
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If you run a MSI mobo you might want to keep to GTX 560 and similar NVIDIA cards - for some reason, ATI cards don't like MSI boards and tend to give alot of -conflicts-.
That is the first I heard of that. The only recent compatibility problems I have heard are the problems with the Nvidia 4xx series locking up on a whole range of motherboards.

No problems though with the 560 Ti but as I said if you can get a 6950 for cheap then I would also consider that.
Old 2011-04-08, 00:34   Link #9
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Considering that I patronized most of MSI's products and used them with great satisfaction, and I also use nVidia-based cards more often throughout my professional career, I'll keep that fact in mind when buying a new mobo and card.
Old 2011-04-08, 20:30   Link #10
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So between the 560 Ti and the 6950, which runs cooler and which has less power draw? I think I will update my GPU this year, and I don't want a high end card (something like $450+) so these two cards are candidates for a purchase.

I have a 700 watt PSU, and it is a generic one, if that matters at all (I'm guessing it does; at least just a little).
Old 2011-04-08, 21:03   Link #11
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
So between the 560 Ti and the 6950, which runs cooler and which has less power draw?
Out of the two I think the 560 Ti runs cooler and quieter while having slightly higher power draw. Not by much though only ~20W and it depends on what reviews you read so if your PSU can't handle one it won't handle the other.

Depending on where you live though if you can get the 6950 2gb for cheaper than a 560 Ti then I would go for that. It is a higher performing part and as I have said if its a revision 1 then has the possibility to unlock to a 6970. Would also take a look at some reviews and see what games you play perform better on which card.

However as you said you are updating this year, if its towards the end of the year/autumn, I would definitely advise you to wait. The next generation cards should be out and should have a larger performance boost than this generation, which were restricted by manufacturing issues.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:12   Link #12
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Yeah, I will wait till later this year and will probably get a next gen card. I'm not gonna go overboard, just see what plays Skyrim really well, and if it is some cards that cost around $200 instead of $300, will probably get a cheaper one. However, I may get a more powerful card instead, even if I don't need one for TES V. It wouldn't be a bad idea to future proof some more.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:17   Link #13
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Until the next consoles are out most cards between the $200 and $300 would easily run most titles unless you are running multi-screens and super high resolutions.

When the next-gen cards hit I'm sure there will be deals to be found on current cards as well
Old 2011-04-08, 21:55   Link #14
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post
Until the next consoles are out most cards between the $200 and $300 would easily run most titles unless you are running multi-screens and super high resolutions.

When the next-gen cards hit I'm sure there will be deals to be found on current cards as well
Sounds good. I already determined that I won't need a CPU or RAM upgrade for quite some time.
Old 2011-04-10, 17:02   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The 560 Ti just seems like a win-win-win no matter what metric sticks I use...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 18:01   Link #16
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's pretty much the best thing on the market right now. Even the monster top-tier GPUs are being ditched in favor of a pair of 560s in SLI on boutique gaming builds!'

The SLI performance of this card is really good, too. It's one of the first times I've ever actually considered SLI to be worth the bother.
Old 2011-04-11, 01:50   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'm happy with my 460gtx 1gb. The 560 is faster, but we're splitting hairs at this point. You'll be hard pressed to find many games that will make a 460 sweat let alone a 560. And honestly, you'll eventually have to settle for "good enough" when it comes to PC building, unless you're made of money. It's a good market right now for mainstream PC builders, you can get a lot of bang for the buck, if you plan your budget right.
Old 2011-04-11, 18:05   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.. i'm still running with a 9800gtx... the area I'm way behind in is cpu/mobo/RAM. Its at the point where changing one means changing all. So rather than ditz around, am saving some funds to move "into the year 201x age".
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 20:15   Link #19
InitialGT

i got my 5770 9months ago for $180

it's going for about $110 today.

i think the best value would be a 6850 at $180 and $155 after rebate
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814125353
InitialGT is offline   Reply With Quote