AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-17, 18:48   Link #1
goffries

Havent watched anime in about 5 years

Recommend me any and all anime that has been decent in the past 3 to 5 years, i like almost all genre's but enjoy scifi and mecha the most.
Old 2011-04-17, 18:55   Link #2
FireChick

RahXephon. That's all I can think of.
Old 2011-04-17, 19:18   Link #3
Akashin

Star Driver... maybe? It fits the bill (more or less; to call it sci-fi could be a bit misleading), but it isn't really that great. I enjoyed it perfectly fine since I resolved from the beginning to watch it with no hopes/expectations whatsoever, but who knows.
Old 2011-04-17, 19:19   Link #4
mecharobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
RahXephon. That's all I can think of.
RahXephon is 2002. It's a bit older.

For mecha, I think there is a very good selection:

Gundam Unicorn (ongoing)
Break Blade (ongoing)
Gundam 00
Macross F
Evangelion movies
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Code Geass

I'm not going to go indepth describing them, but all have good mechanical designs, battles and technical quality. If you're a fan, these are some well received shows among mecha.

For Sci-fi there are some very good ones too:

Kaiba
Terra e
Heroic Age

I only listed the more obvious scifi stories. Kaiba is highly experimental, Terra e more character driven and Heroic Age focused on action.
Old 2011-04-17, 20:00   Link #5
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Seconding Gundam 00, Gundam Unicorn, and Macross Frontier

There's a really quick 25 minute OAV adaption of the manga Voices of a Distant Star that could be of interest.

Mecha oriented basketball comes along with Basquash with some dosage of science fiction placed along with it.

Infinite Stratos can go in as well with the mecha action that takes place in the series, has a high amount of harem fanservice image shots though.
Old 2011-04-17, 22:57   Link #6
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10393

Heroic Age - I second this anime! lol..
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/heroic-age

Kurogane no Linebarrels
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ku...no-linebarrels

Eureka Seven - you have prolly seen but its 2005-2006... i think...
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/eureka-seven

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-04-18, 06:55   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There are two great sci-fi shows from the 2006/2007 period -- Dennou Coil and Noein. You may have seen them or may have stopped watching prior to their release. Ergo Proxy is another show that appeared around the time you stopped watching.

Oh! Edo Rocket can be labelled as sci-fi though it's set in 1843. It's wildly anachronistic at times and often very funny.

More recently we have two shows by Shirow Masamune who helmed Ghost in the Shell. One is Ghost Hound, a strange mix of psychiatry, neuroscience, and mysticism. The other is Real Drive. I like some of the episodes in the the latter but thought Ghost Hound the better show.

Science-fiction and mecha anime are much less common today. I assume that has something to do with changing tastes among the core audience of Japanese otaku. The just-released [C] has a science-fiction flavor to it, but it's hard to know where it's going yet since only one episode has been released. Level E is a sci-fi comedy that starts strong, sags in the middle, but comes back swinging at the end.

Most of the shows referenced in my signature are from the past five years and span a variety of genres. If you pass your mouse cursor over the portraits, you'll see which shows they are.
Old 2011-04-19, 01:42   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Welcome to the NHK - This is the life you were probably living during you're break, don't lie...

Gintama - Spoofs all the classic shonen fighter stuff that might give you a nostalgic and endless grin as you JUMP back in the game...Also, it's just a damn riot...

Mitchiko E. Hatchin - Think Cowboy Bebopish with most of the players being insanely attractive bada$$ women, set to a jazzy, action-packed backdrop...

Black Lagoon - Think NOT Cowboy Bebopish with most of the players being insanely attractive bada$$ women with gun fetishes...

For a movie choice snag Summer Wars, it's visually amazing beyond words, and just the thing to pi$$ you off for giving up on anime for 5 years ....You'll be thinking, "Damn this is what I've been missing?!!"^^
Old 2011-04-19, 03:17   Link #9
totoum
Oppai warrior

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Seconding Denno coil and Ergo Proxy,Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann,Code Geass as well as Summer Wars (and if you like Summer wars check out The Girl Who Leapt Through Time).

I'll add in Death Note, and Eden of the East
Old 2011-04-19, 10:52   Link #10
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Try Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. For Sci-Fi maybe Eden of the East(Sci-Fi), Occult Academy(Sci-Fi, Comedy, A bit of Horror), and Level E (Sci-Fi but pure comedy)

For mecha try STAR DRIVER.