AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-05-11, 16:17   Link #1
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

Could American-Made Anime Ever Become Common?

Hello all,

Recently, another question has been on my mind. Before I ask, I must make one thing clear so that this doesn't turn into a flame war. I consider anime more of an art-style as opposed to an animation of Japanese origin. You can agree or disagree with that statement, but whatever you prefer to call it, do you think that it could do well?

Personally, I think that it is a bit "iffy" at best. There have been attempts at it before. The Last Air Bender is one example (of which I personally enjoy). A lot of anime fans tend to criticize it because it "tries to hard to be an anime." Personally, that opinion kind of gets on my nerves a little, but that is totally irrelevant.

I think that part of the charm of anime is just how "Japanese" it is. I don't exactly know if that makes sense, but I can't properly describe it. If an anime were to ever be made (and were to take place in) the US, it wouldn't feel very anime-like. I'd be willing to give it a chance, but I know that there are a few purists who would dismiss it in a heartbeat.

So, what do you think?

Thanks!
Old 2014-05-11, 19:15   Link #2
IceHism

Sure, it definitely can become common. There'll be good ones and bad ones. Just like Japanese anime...

I just think someone needs to ignite the spark before something like this happens.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 00:38   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

Well, does anyone have a list of western-style anime within the last decade? I know Baccano! prolly counts for one.
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 01:02   Link #4
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

^ How about the Marvel anime from Madhouse?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 40!! Completed: 210. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 01:25   Link #5
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I think the thread starter indicated more anime-styled english cartoons.

Off the top of my head I think of: Ben 10, Young Justice and Marvel Ultimate Superheroes(I dunno the show it's just introduced that way)

Though the last one is iffy with only character proportions following more anime style while the animation still tends to be a little choppy. Same goes for Ben 10 but at times the animation shines.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 12:10   Link #6
Utsuro no Hako

I think we're more likely to see stories that are influenced by anime, but with American art styles like Megas XLR, Samurai Jack and Teen Titans.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 13:58   Link #7
RichardFromMarple

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! was quite convincing as an Anime, not just in the art style but the writing of some episodes were convincing in places.

Totally Spies! was a good example of animeisque from France, which had a hand in some good "semi-animes" in the 1980s.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 20:52   Link #8
typo
Happy as you are

:d

I think every country has the potential to make good anime. ^_^
It's just that they don't have good studios for making anime.
typo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 00:38   Link #9
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

You guys listed off a lot of good examples that I completely forgot about. Shame on me for that one. Haha

There have been a lot of French style anime too as one person pointed out. I used to like watching Totally Spies when I was younger, even though I'm a guy.

I agree thought that the art style would have to be modified. A lot of people get turned ff by it, which is understandable.
Old 2014-05-14, 05:18   Link #10
itisjustme

There's plenty of western cartoons and as a kid I liked the transformers way more than any japanese mecha show. (it's partly japanese I know)

If you mean a japanese style anime then it makes sense that it'd be japanese :P That's a cultural thing, and really how many animes have the audience to be aired in mainstream tv slots even in Japan? Most shows discussed here are small budget things and tv stations get paid to air them at some dead slot at 2am so it gives them some advertising in the hope of recouping the money with a hopeful 10k dvds. I think that kind of business model just isn't viable in the west where you have little otaku market to speak of, and there's already a comics market to compete with.

I think the otaku market is declining even in Japan although this could be a "seasonal" thing. OTOH the most mainstream animes in Japan atm afaik are either longstanding kiddy kiddy stuff like Shin-chan or Doreamon AFAIK and One Piece, which is really a lot less "Japanese" as the usual show.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 08:25   Link #11
Faerie
10% but stupid as toast

There's also Kaleidostar, a co production iirc which was lovely.
Old 2014-05-14, 12:36   Link #12
Calca
Brina!

The more action oriented darker cartoons of the 90s like Mighty Max, Batman: TAS, and Gargoyles had as rich of a storyline and as great of characters as any anime I've ever seen
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 13:25   Link #13
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchips18 View Post

I think that part of the charm of anime is just how "Japanese" it is. I don't exactly know if that makes sense, but I can't properly describe it. If an anime were to ever be made (and were to take place in) the US, it wouldn't feel very anime-like. I'd be willing to give it a chance, but I know that there are a few purists who would dismiss it in a heartbeat.
Could American-Made Anime Ever Become Common? Of course. It's just like the gaming scene, years ago Japan was considered the holy land of gaming but over time the west caught up and now all the big budget titles and more popular series are all Western made.

So you'll probably see more big budget 'mainstream' Animation, however the'll never scratch the itch that Japanese Animes provide, just as how gamers still want Japanese games.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 22:27   Link #14
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Could American-Made Anime Ever Become Common? Of course. It's just like the gaming scene, years ago Japan was considered the holy land of gaming but over time the west caught up and now all the big budget titles and more popular series are all Western made.

So you'll probably see more big budget 'mainstream' Animation, however the'll never scratch the itch that Japanese Animes provide, just as how gamers still want Japanese games.
I really liked this metaphor. This pretty much summarizes how I feel on the subject.
Old 2014-05-16, 21:04   Link #15
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think that the ship is sailing on this possibility. The problem is that there's only two major cartoon channels (and their affiliate channels); Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. Nickelodeon created Avatar, but hasn't done anything else but expand that individual franchise in the past decade. I'm not sure why - perhaps production values were just too high, even despite the show's popularity? I feel like American television networks are very, very risk averse. This is something they have in common with the Japanese market, but dozens of new anime per season has long been the norm in Japan, so their risk aversion has more to do with the content of the programming, whereas American networks seem reluctant to branch out of children's shows or episodic comedy in terms of animation.

Cartoon Network showed signs of adapting some anime elements, particularly towards superhero themed action shows, and I have enjoyed every one of them. I'm a comic book and superhero fan, so my opinion is colored by my pre-existing fandom, but overarching plotlines in action cartoons I feel is sorely desired by American fans, but not given by the networks. Cartoon Network seems to treat its superhero content very poorly, airing it in odd hours and cancelling shows at the height of their popularity. I really don't understand the economics behind it - people have told me these shows depend on toy sales to keep them afloat, which seems strange to me, but what do I know? If that's true, it would certainly sap a company's financial incentive to make more intricate and complex shows that appeal to teens and adults when they can pump out cheaper and simpler things for kids. I especially notice how the show Teen Titans Go seems to be a favorite by cartoon network - it's simple, probably easy to write, low production values, etc. They'd much rather air that show heavily than bring back the original Teen Titans, which ended on a cliffhanger, and was I believe animated in Japan (?) and very anime-ish. They also cancelled the fantastic Young Justice when it was seemingly at the pinnacle of popularity among teen and adult fans (judging by my internet activity).

Speaking of toy sales, from what I understand, Japanese anime fans are very enamored with merchandise - figures, DVDs, themed items or any type. The "collector" subculture exists in America, but I think it's far less prevalent.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-17, 07:58   Link #16
RichardFromMarple

I've not seen Cartoon Network's Sym-Bionic Titan, but it seems to have a lot of Anime inspired elements.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-17, 13:37   Link #17
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
I don't think so, simply because there isn't really a market to support it. That being said however, with things like RWBY (not so great animation but it's definitely a nice try), who knows what the future holds.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-17, 16:18   Link #18
Tenzen12

Well I do think anime will affect western animation in future and "western anime" will be more common than now... but America/Europe AREN'T Japan. So rather than making anime on it's own it will lead to animated shows that asimilate elements of it and getting own identity.

I am not saying america can't make "anime" RWBY is proof enough they can, but I don't think it is way, it will go considering "bigger picture".
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 22:07   Link #19
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think that the ship is sailing on this possibility. The problem is that there's only two major cartoon channels (and their affiliate channels); Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. Nickelodeon created Avatar, but hasn't done anything else but expand that individual franchise in the past decade. I'm not sure why - perhaps production values were just too high, even despite the show's popularity? I feel like American television networks are very, very risk averse. This is something they have in common with the Japanese market, but dozens of new anime per season has long been the norm in Japan, so their risk aversion has more to do with the content of the programming, whereas American networks seem reluctant to branch out of children's shows or episodic comedy in terms of animation.

Cartoon Network showed signs of adapting some anime elements, particularly towards superhero themed action shows, and I have enjoyed every one of them. I'm a comic book and superhero fan, so my opinion is colored by my pre-existing fandom, but overarching plotlines in action cartoons I feel is sorely desired by American fans, but not given by the networks. Cartoon Network seems to treat its superhero content very poorly, airing it in odd hours and cancelling shows at the height of their popularity. I really don't understand the economics behind it - people have told me these shows depend on toy sales to keep them afloat, which seems strange to me, but what do I know? If that's true, it would certainly sap a company's financial incentive to make more intricate and complex shows that appeal to teens and adults when they can pump out cheaper and simpler things for kids. I especially notice how the show Teen Titans Go seems to be a favorite by cartoon network - it's simple, probably easy to write, low production values, etc. They'd much rather air that show heavily than bring back the original Teen Titans, which ended on a cliffhanger, and was I believe animated in Japan (?) and very anime-ish. They also cancelled the fantastic Young Justice when it was seemingly at the pinnacle of popularity among teen and adult fans (judging by my internet activity).

Speaking of toy sales, from what I understand, Japanese anime fans are very enamored with merchandise - figures, DVDs, themed items or any type. The "collector" subculture exists in America, but I think it's far less prevalent.
We do need more over-arching cartoons. It sadly is missed here.

But I think it makes sense that toy sales are important. I imagine that the production companies make most of their profit from the merchandise related to the content that they create. I don't think that they make much money off of airing the show on TV. That might explain why DVD volumes for cartoons are released so sporadically. Of course, I'm no expert so I could be completely wrong. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well I do think anime will affect western animation in future and "western anime" will be more common than now... but America/Europe AREN'T Japan. So rather than making anime on it's own it will lead to animated shows that asimilate elements of it and getting own identity.

I am not saying america can't make "anime" RWBY is proof enough they can, but I don't think it is way, it will go considering "bigger picture".
After thinking about it, I think that would be the best solution. It wouldn't be wise to emulate something to a completely different audience. Producers would be dealing more so with fans of the channel than fans of anime.
Old 2014-05-27, 05:56   Link #20
Dark Wing

One of the main issues that is still making animation an underutilized medium here in the wast is that many in the television industry think animation can only be used two ways. As a children's show or a raunchy adult comedy. This can be changed but people have to want and push for that change.

Also like ChainLegacy stated above the ship itself is starting to sail. With the advent of improved CGI many live-action movies can be made with the same over the top action and plots we're used to seeing in anime. One example that comes to mind is the "Fast and Furious" franchise has come like an action shounen series where you have the rag-tag group of social outcasts, fighting international criminals and terrorists with cars, and characters coming back from the dead just to be killed off again. Sounds familiar?