AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-11-17, 10:03   Link #1
Soliloquy
Perpetually Nonchalant

Thumbs up Ufotable: Studio discussion, speculation, and whatnot

I'm slightly puzzled at how nobody ever considered to make a thread about this production company. I can't be the only one who is interested in most of their works. Sure, they might have a few anime that are less than well-received but overall I find this company one of the best in the anime industry. They are mostly associated with the Type-moon for their adaptation Kara No Kyoukai and Fate Zero but they also made underrated gems like Manabi Straight and Futakoi Alternative. After the completion of Fate Zero, their reputation grew and it's only growing with Fate/Stay Night and the upcoming movie. That being said, I would like to discuss various things about this studio and hope more people watch their past works not associated with Type Moon.

2004 Ninja Nonsense
2005 Futakoi Alternative
2007-2009 Garden of Sinners
2011-2012 Fate Zero
2014 Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works
Old 2014-11-17, 10:12   Link #2
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
They are certainly at their zenith or near their zenith atm, but until they branch out of Type-Moon properties, I'm reluctant to call them "great" just yet and thus not on the same tier as say something like Madhouse or Production IG. It will be like calling Kyoani a great studio due to their successes by making adaptions out of Visual Arts Key properties, but we know how they have been like in the past few years...

Anyways, point is I want to see ufotable branch out and do non-Type moon stuff. Maybe an anime original of a different genre or a series that would fit in on the noitamina timeslot or something.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2014-11-17 at 11:08.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 10:13   Link #3
The One Above God
Kamijou

Aren't they gonna do God Eater?

Those illusions, how about I destroy them?
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 11:28   Link #4
Dr. Dahm
Banned

Like most studios in Japan that sprang up in 21st century I can't really say ufoTABLE has much of a clear identity. Like a couple of people said in this thread they're pretty much defined by the popularity of the adaptations they've worked on of late, namely some Type/Moon stuff in various formats which is already extremely popular with it's core audience. Other than that they had a couple of other mid to low profile ation/comedy shows back in the 2000's like Manabi Straight, Ninja Nonsense and Coyote Ragtime show which just sort of faded into the abyss and they've done some occasional cutscene work for Namco Bandai games.

I think part of the reason why you haven't seen a thread for them is there really isn't much to talk about with regard to them since they've contributed so little in the last decade or so that contributes to an identity of their own and their popularity and relevance kind of revolves around whether they have a Type/Moon adaptation going or not. Without that distinction the studio is and probably would remain largely irrelevant and not much of a hot topic at all.

What is identity? Well for example Sunrise is known for it's original in house produced series, particularly mecha and idol anime of late, Kyoto Animation is known for it's very moe/fujoshi oriented Light Novel adaptation, Ghibli was known for it's prestige films that tackle mature subjects but are aimed at general and international audiences and collaborations with Disney, SHAFT...well they're identity is kind of tied to it's eternal single creative director and his particular style more than anything, but yeah ufoTABLE kind of just seems like they do what they are contracted to and their identity is kind of tied overwhelmingly to Type/Moon and Tales of games right now as a result so you could just as easily make this a thread about Bamco and Type/Moon instead and it wouldn't entirely be unfair I think.

I don't know I just kind of struggle to say anything of note about the company that isn't a nod to their ties to Type/Moon adaptations and Bandai Namco Games properties. I guess they do this sort of 2D/3D blend that seems really popular with a lot of people and they know how to make good use of filters and they seem good at managing production schedules by the looks of things and never seem overworked or overburdened with projects such that the overall quality of their work drops noticeably. They also have that claymation thing they seem to have stopped doing that added a little extra charm to their older works which would actually be the biggest contribution towards establishing a unique identity and signature they've ever had. Oh and they were apparently founded by former TMS staff and their key person is apparently the company president Matsuri Ouse that I can find no relevant information or descriptions on.
Dr. Dahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 14:52   Link #5
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
That being said, I would like to discuss various things about this studio and hope more people watch their past works not associated with Type Moon.
Well then how about mentioning Majocco Shimai no Yoyo to Nene ?

While I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece or anything I was quite entertained and in terms of production values it had ufotable's full power so I found it well worth a watch.
Also shows the studio is willing to try something different, sad that it bombed commercially in japan and went by unnoticed in the west, and the fact it was unnoticed shows that even if ufotable is making a name for themselves something they're working on won't automatically become the talk of town just because they're working on it.

edit: oh and before I forget, ufotable's BRS the game OP is my favorite thing out of the franchise.

Last edited by totoum; 2014-11-17 at 15:23.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 18:09   Link #6
Soliloquy
Perpetually Nonchalant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
They are certainly at their zenith or near their zenith atm, but until they branch out of Type-Moon properties, I'm reluctant to call them "great" just yet and thus not on the same tier as say something like Madhouse or Production IG. It will be like calling Kyoani a great studio due to their successes by making adaptions out of Visual Arts Key properties, but we know how they have been like in the past few years...

Anyways, point is I want to see ufotable branch out and do non-Type moon stuff. Maybe an anime original of a different genre or a series that would fit in on the noitamina timeslot or something.
Personally, I would have wanted to see them make more original anime, too but considering most of their original anime seemed to enjoy relatively moderate to low success, I guess it's understandable that they choose not to risk themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dahm View Post
I don't know I just kind of struggle to say anything of note about the company that isn't a nod to their ties to Type/Moon adaptations and Bandai Namco Games properties. I guess they do this sort of 2D/3D blend that seems really popular with a lot of people and they know how to make good use of filters and they seem good at managing production schedules by the looks of things and never seem overworked or overburdened with projects such that the overall quality of their work drops noticeably. They also have that claymation thing they seem to have stopped doing that added a little extra charm to their older works which would actually be the biggest contribution towards establishing a unique identity and signature they've ever had. Oh and they were apparently founded by former TMS staff and their key person is apparently the company president Matsuri Ouse that I can find no relevant information or descriptions on.
They aren't certainly prolific in a sense Kyoto Animation or Madhouse are but I beg to differ that Ufotable has yet to be established the identity. Perhaps I'm a bit biased to say that but they may not have the most obvious style like Shaft or Sunrise may have, but like you mentioned above, I find all those characteristics make them unique. You're right in an objective point of view, Ufotable may not have the distinct identity like say Shaft but I think they do have an identity to them.

While the premise of their anime seem same run of the mill slice of life, by the time of completion of the anime, for some reason, there is a genuine effort put into it and have this really unique twist without resorting to deus ex machina ending. A lot of original anime by Ufotable seems that there is some sort of team spirits going on with the entire cast of characters, their anime unlike the other slice of life anime leaves me with fuzzy warm feelings by the end (like Clannad anime but less melodrama). But even as a fan of this production company, their original anime suffers from having the moderate intro with slow pacing and not much going for it whereas anime by Kyoto Animation and Madhouse has the advantage of pulling in large amount of viewers and have so much production values to keep them invested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well then how about mentioning Majocco Shimai no Yoyo to Nene ?

While I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece or anything I was quite entertained and in terms of production values it had ufotable's full power so I found it well worth a watch.
Also shows the studio is willing to try something different, sad that it bombed commercially in japan and went by unnoticed in the west, and the fact it was unnoticed shows that even if ufotable is making a name for themselves something they're working on won't automatically become the talk of town just because they're working on it.
I have yet to check that anime. Will sure check it out. And this is exactly the problem with Ufotable. Unless they work in something that relates to Typemoon, their other works barely make any reception or any noise. This is why I like Ufotable because they do execute the anime not in a typical way. Maybe they should have shortened the title or something then it could have been more known in the west. As for Japan, I'm not certain but their tastes are quite finnicky.
Old 2014-11-18, 21:42   Link #7
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
And this is exactly the problem with Ufotable. Unless they work in something that relates to Typemoon, their other works barely make any reception or any noise.
That's not entirely true. Futakoi Alternative and Manabi Straight had sizable followings. Furthermore, Coyote Ragtime Show attracted a lot of attention (thanks to a marketing push by American DVD distributor A.D. Vision), although not necessarily in a good way. It was criticized as brain-dead style over substance.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 22:51   Link #8
Soliloquy
Perpetually Nonchalant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
That's not entirely true. Futakoi Alternative and Manabi Straight had sizable followings. Furthermore, Coyote Ragtime Show attracted a lot of attention (thanks to a marketing push by American DVD distributor A.D. Vision), although not necessarily in a good way. It was criticized as brain-dead style over substance.
But I'd argue their popularity is not as large as I don't know Hidamari Sketch. If I had to guess, their followings would be as large as anime like Joshiraku. That's just cult classic at best and still means it was largely ignored. Yeah, I'd admit that I heard Coyote Ragtime Show making a bit of noise in the western hemisphere. I haven't watch the anime yet but judging by the cover, it looked like it'd do well in America. And I'm not really expecting Ufotable to make that large following like Ano Hana fanbase but quite a large following like Tari Tari's. Not that massive but decent enough to get more notice. That will definitely encourage them to make more original anime but I'm rather pessimistic about the chance.

And I'm definitely not looking at the profit margins of the anime work but rather the number of fans. I think Pixiv is quite a good indication to determine the popularity of anime. Also I have to say that I was wrong to use the word 'barely' but in my opinion the following is still quite small.
Old 2014-11-18, 23:20   Link #9
BPD Renegade

Nothing to contribute, but just wanted to point out that with this statement here,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dahm View Post
Ghibli was known for it's prestige films that tackle mature subjects but are aimed at general and international audiences and collaborations with Disney
you, good sir, just stabbed me in the heart.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 17:31   Link #10
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I don't care what others say, Coyote Ragtime Show was awesome. Liked Futakoi Alternative as well although it ... mostly didn't make sense at all.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 21:41   Link #11
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Liked Futakoi Alternative as well although it ... mostly didn't make sense at all.
It felt like a show that was going on instinct and heart rather than logic. So it went from craziness to craziness, but somehow there was an emotional core there and an underlying message that worked. Certainly fulfilled its role as an alternative take on the Futakoi franchise (since I doubt many remember the other Futakoi anime, which wasn't necessarily bad, but also not all that unique).

Also, those claymation endings were great!
Old 2014-11-20, 07:26   Link #12
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It felt like a show that was going on instinct and heart rather than logic. So it went from craziness to craziness, but somehow there was an emotional core there and an underlying message that worked. Certainly fulfilled its role as an alternative take on the Futakoi franchise (since I doubt many remember the other Futakoi anime, which wasn't necessarily bad, but also not all that unique).

Also, those claymation endings were great!
Oh hey eufonius .