AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-07-13, 20:25   Link #221
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
So I talked to Nobuhiro Kikuchi at Anime Expo this year; seems he actually conceptualized and basically wrote Tari Tari on his own. It's impressive since Tari Tari hit my top 5 of last year.
There's just no way to keep the story and characters as consistent unless the whole thing's written by the same person. If I remember correctly there was only one episode that was written by someone else and you could tell.

And yeah, it was in my top 5 too.
Old 2013-07-13, 21:00   Link #222
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, not sure if Tari Tari was top 5 2012 and that would be sorta meaningless as I didn't watch that much, though Wakana was certainly a top character for me personally.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 00:58   Link #223
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Wakana was certainly a top character for me personally.
Wakana was love, especially in the second half of the series.
Old 2013-07-14, 07:51   Link #224
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
2012 had three amazing slice of life/dramas animes: Wolf Children is the first one (and best one). Hyouka was the second. Tari Tari was the third. All of them are in my top 5 for 2012. Everything else I would probably forget down the line or wouldn't recommend (Kokoro Connect and Sakurasou fall into this category).

Wakana would also be in top 3 female characters of that year and long with Watashi from Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.
Old 2013-07-14, 07:56   Link #225
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Hmm, not sure if Tari Tari was top 5 2012 and that would be sorta meaningless as I didn't watch that much, though Wakana was certainly a top character for me personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Wakana was love, especially in the second half of the series.
I'm a bit partial to Sawa's awesome fashion sense personally.
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 09:13   Link #226
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

I've got a question and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I think it's the closest thing to it. About a year ago I came across this ANN article:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/i...-sakura-kagura

Now I'm confused because it mentions something about Studio Infinite, and that they "produced" Tari Tari, but wasn't that done by PA Works? Also what does it mean by an "independent project" at Studio Infinite? Is it an anime or is it some other medium?
Old 2013-07-14, 10:21   Link #227
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Now I'm confused because it mentions something about Studio Infinite, and that they "produced" Tari Tari, but wasn't that done by PA Works?
The producer's the one who funds the project and manage production resources. Working on the series isn't called "production" in Japan. Anyway, Infinity must be Takayuki Nagatani's production company. Think Aniplex. Aniplex is a production company. They don't make anime, they produce them. For example, they produced Madoka, which was made by Shaft.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-07-14 at 10:33.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 11:23   Link #228
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
I've got a question and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I think it's the closest thing to it. About a year ago I came across this ANN article:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/i...-sakura-kagura

Now I'm confused because it mentions something about Studio Infinite, and that they "produced" Tari Tari, but wasn't that done by PA Works? Also what does it mean by an "independent project" at Studio Infinite? Is it an anime or is it some other medium?
Infinite (no studio in the name, but lol ANN reporting) helped produce (ie gather everyone together to make the series). This was done by the director of Infinite, Takayuki Nagatani, who suggested the idea to P.A. Works producer Horikawa and later assembled the staff himself. The actual producers (ones who managed everything) for TARI TARI were Yasushi Ooshima (Pony Canyon), Tsuyoshi Oda (Good Smile Company), Takema Okamura (SOTSU Marketing), Jin Kawamura (Showgate), Takeshi Ishigaki (Bandai Visual), Kenji Horikawa (P.A. Works), and Yousuke Wada (COSPA). This also tends to mirror their company's positions in the production committee (ie, while it's a P.A. Works original, many other companies funded it much more than they did).

tl;dr Infinite produced it by getting everyone together, didn't invest money into the project/animate it so they "produced" it while others were members of the production committee who financed the project.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2013-07-14 at 11:39.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 17:24   Link #229
Sphire

So I came here to see what's up with PA Works nowadays. I guess not much judging by the latest posts? I dropped RDG early on, and there hasn't really been anything of note for a while.

Oh, now that I'm checking, they have their hand in making Uchouten Kazoku? I'm really liking that show so far. Nice.

I guess the only other show is Nagi no Asukara. Can't really tell on that one.

Lastly, Tari Tari was my #1 for 2012. !!
Old 2013-07-15, 08:58   Link #230
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
I guess the only other show is Nagi no Asukara. Can't really tell on that one.
There's a Nagi no Asukara manga that should give you an idea what the story's going to be about.

Spoiler for Nagi no Asukara:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 08:59   Link #231
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Nagi no Asu Kara....

*grumble grumble grumble grumble*
Old 2013-09-21, 10:34   Link #232
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

I'm not sure what thread to put this on (it's in this one or the Mari Okada one) but I watched the two subbed episodes of True Tours Nanto... and it was brilliant. Although it was only 13-14 minutes all up, but it effectively told the story it needed to sufficiently. Very nice romance/drama excerpt. Looking forward to the other four. Not sure if it was intended to be a True Tears spiritual sequel, but it indeed had the some vibe, style and atmosphere.

On the other hand it just confirmed even more why Okada drives me crazy. If she's able to write dialogue and stuff like this, True Tears and whatever amount she was involved with doing the series composition for Wandering Son, where it is subdued, restrained and not reeking in forced melodrama or wangst, why does she keep writing these over the top middle school/high school romance melodramas.
Old 2013-09-21, 11:37   Link #233
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I'm not sure what thread to put this on (it's in this one or the Mari Okada one) but I watched the two subbed episodes of True Tours Nanto... and it was brilliant. Although it was only 13-14 minutes all up, but it effectively told the story it needed to sufficiently. Very nice romance/drama excerpt. Looking forward to the other four. Not sure if it was intended to be a True Tears spiritual sequel, but it indeed had the some vibe, style and atmosphere.

On the other hand it just confirmed even more why Okada drives me crazy. If she's able to write dialogue and stuff like this, True Tears and whatever amount she was involved with doing the series composition for Wandering Son, where it is subdued, restrained and not reeking in forced melodrama or wangst, why does she keep writing these over the top middle school/high school romance melodramas.
Because Ando da gawd put her in her place and made her work normalish for True Tears (and make best girl win) and the later was because it followed the manga? (no idea if it did)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 12:14   Link #234
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Crediting wandering son to okada instead of the mangaka is just not right.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 12:17   Link #235
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Because melodrama sells better in the world of anime.

Anohana and HSI sold way better than True Tears and Wandering Son.

Also consider the poor sales of Shin Sekai Yori and the latest much more subtle Rozen Maiden show. Now consider the pretty good sales of Guilty Crown and Infinite Stratos.

Most anime customers seem to go for the loud, flashy material.
Old 2013-09-21, 13:43   Link #236
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Hana Saku Iroha wasn't that melodramatic! I would have tossed it in the trash with those kinds of characters if that were true. To me, the narrative for Iroha was more of a tongue in cheek and laid back one, well at least when it was doing well. True Tears is more melodramatic than HSI if you think about it. I guess it was sorta louder.... and had more perv. Oh dear, I hope that's not why they bought it more-- no matter how much you may like Mel Kishida's designs.

WS is not an Okada doing, though she may have helped the adaptation. I think the subject matter is a hard one and not just for Japan-- people may not just be ready to discuss these matters in a proper fashion yet. To a lesser degree SSY. And Triple might be right if we compare SSY to the much louder and sillier, but still meaningful Psycho Pass. (Though that had the advantage of a popular writer)

Well, money is the ultimate dictator of what does, and if people won't buy it, then nobody how much one loves it, it might just be better to do the conventional way to at least keep things flowing. It's not always that bad; look at how they stuck all that random True Tears in the more conventional Tari Tari.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-09-21, 19:37   Link #237
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think that may be the first time I've even one of HanaIro's defenders claim it wasn't melodramatic.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 20:20   Link #238
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Because Ando da gawd put her in her place and made her work normalish for True Tears (and make best girl win) and the later was because it followed the manga? (no idea if it did)
Well I can't say the same happened for HSI . Though I think the duo did a good job on Zetsuen No Tempest though. I guess Canaan was also not bad, though sugoi girl needs to be deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Crediting wandering son to okada instead of the mangaka is just not right.
Never gave her sole credit though and never have. I realise it's also largely due to director Eiki and the original mangaka, but given it was only 1cour and it was really well selected in terms of what was chosen to adapt I think at least some credit is due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think that may be the first time I've even one of HanaIro's defenders claim it wasn't melodramatic.
I don't think I particularly said that HSI was, though it had its fair share of "stupid" moments. Episode 3, Omelette rice ep comes into mind. There were 2 big impact areas of the show, those being the beginning of the series and around the halfway mark, but those were "great" examples of melodrama so I have no qualms in that. But the ones in like the final episode of Ano hana or the entirety of Black Rock Shooter or parts of AKB0048 and the like... ugh. I'm also 90% sure that the upcoming Nagi no Asu Kara will be of the same boat.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-09-21 at 21:56.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:01   Link #239
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I am the last person to defend that. Oh man, I know this is going to be a unpopular opinion, and a bit ironic since I almost always bash Hanairo but...

It really wasn't though. For the most part, you weren't getting that k-drama style "omg someone's dead sick/injured." The aforementioned omelette rice incident and the romantic drama was the closest it came to bullshit.

But for the most part, you really didn't have Ohana non-stop angsty about world changing events; yes she was emotional in parts, but it was hardly blown out of proportion. It's probably the reason why I like her in the first place; I don't like drama queens. In any case, she goes through a lot and comes out pretty well. One could definitely argue they were going out of their way to create obstacles (usually through stupidity), but that's certainly a flaw. I don't think it breaks the narrative.

And it's my opinion, (yes some of you are going to kill me), but I think the issues she faced were far more pertinent and bigger than the ones the characters of True Tears faced, and it wasn't on such a dramatic note. I mean...

Spoiler for HSI/TT:

Now, note that this doesn't mean Hana Saku Iroha is somehow a better show, but I can sincerely tell you that it wasn't a particularly melodramatic show. Just because Anohana was way more melodramatic moments doesn't mean it was worse either-- I prefer the later, but it still suffers from them lolmoments that Hanairo spared us from.

Also, don't take it that I would say True Tears was overblown either. The tone of the anime was intentionally supposed to be dramatic; it's just my lack of empathy for the entire scenario that makes me consider it a bit melodramatic. To be honest, I preferred True Tears before it hit the melodrama button-- it honestly has similar flaws to Anohana but a lot better in holding it together. In any case, It's still their jewel for a reason.

tl;dr I don't like Okada's melodrama
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-09-22, 00:53   Link #240
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's not a value judgment for me, as I don't consider melodrama a four-letter word, which seems to be the current mindset among anime fandom. Saying HanaIro is melodramatic isn't automatically a criticism - I just strongly disagree that it isn't melodramatic.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works, studios