AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-19, 05:53   Link #401
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Bean counters and lawyers care about that $0.005 month. What they don't care, is the long term health of the company.

Everything Nintendo did was legal. But it doesn't make it any less detrimental to the company when they needed people to promote WiiU GAMES.

Let's Plays' were free advertising. Now, Nintendo wants to be paid for adverts. Legal, but foolish.
Hmm I know that you have always made harsh but fair remarks about Nintendo, but this case goes beyond just Nintendo taking on LPs.
Gameplay footage of games are not allowed to be used for monetisation in the first place, it is clearly stated in the terms. It is really about either people exploiting the system or are unaware of it, most probably fall into the latter category. But if they were aware of it, they knew that this would be coming sooner or later.
In any case if they are serious about producing LP video, how hard is it to get a lawyer and work out a deal with game makers, I mean that is what everyone else does, so why should people running a service on youtube be exempt ?

The is a blog entry on gamasutra.com (think it is a contributor entry, not directly from gamsutra), which shows how f**ked up youtube/google really is.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 09:10   Link #402
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Hmm I know that you have always made harsh but fair remarks about Nintendo, but this case goes beyond just Nintendo taking on LPs.
Gameplay footage of games are not allowed to be used for monetisation in the first place, it is clearly stated in the terms. It is really about either people exploiting the system or are unaware of it, most probably fall into the latter category. But if they were aware of it, they knew that this would be coming sooner or later.
In any case if they are serious about producing LP video, how hard is it to get a lawyer and work out a deal with game makers, I mean that is what everyone else does, so why should people running a service on youtube be exempt ?

The is a blog entry on gamasutra.com (think it is a contributor entry, not directly from gamsutra), which shows how f**ked up youtube/google really is.
You seem to take a different stance here. That LPers have been leaching off Nintendo's work and get paid.

Your mistake is assuming Nintendo get no benefit from the LPs. And that if all the LPs are gone Nintendo would be better off.

It is not to the benefit of LPers to get a lawyer to keep doing it. They can go do something else. And the long term effect is LPers would focus on games NOT made by Nintendo. There will simply be less Nintendo contents online. Entirely legal, but Nintendo will suffer the consequences. All for pocket change that would not make a dent in their profitability.
Old 2013-05-19, 13:40   Link #403
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Total Biscuit's views were pretty spot on.

1. People shouldn't really be offering input on IP law. It's overly complicated and most people really don't know what they're talking about.

2. A lot of LP's are nothing more than the game being streamed. Very little production, narration, or changes to make it unique from the others.

3. A good LP is not about the game, but the experience. Does anyone really care what the Game Grumps play? No, they watch it for the hosts.

4. The problem is not Nintendo's desire to monetize their intellectual property, but their choice of how to do it. Youtube's IP program is the equivalent of using a broadsword for heart surgery. A lot of stuff will be taken down in the wrecking ball that was otherwise harmless and possibly even provided great benefit to Nintendo. The gain for Nintendo is minimal compared to the potential collateral damage.

In short, no, Nintendo did not think this through, and they do not understand what they are trying to enforce (like most companies who enforce IP on the internet). That said, the intent is fine, it's the method that is bad.

In the end the overall effect will probably be minimal, but it does further damage the goodwill Nintendo's brand has among fans at a time when they can't afford to turn them away.
Old 2013-05-19, 14:22   Link #404
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

All these is just bad for Nintendo at the end of the day. It's bad PR for them and alienates the fan. Sega shot themselves earlier in the year and now it's Nintendo, feels like these Japanese corporation are losing touch with their fanbase.
Old 2013-05-19, 15:38   Link #405
Blackbeard D. Kuma

A lot of people will buy this console just for the new Super Smash Bros title.
Old 2013-05-19, 21:03   Link #406
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The difference between what is legal and what you should do reminds me of this; the author of The Far Side and the creator of Calvin and Hobbs both requested that their comics not be posted on the internet. In general, the fans have complied.

They were within the right to do so, and the audience accepted it. But one has to wonder if they lost more audiences and customers that way. There are many things that you are legally able to do. The question is, should you enforce them?
Old 2013-05-19, 21:09   Link #407
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
The difference between what is legal and what you should do reminds me of this; the author of The Far Side and the creator of Calvin and Hobbs both requested that their comics not be posted on the internet. In general, the fans have complied.

They were within the right to do so, and the audience accepted it. But one has to wonder if they lost more audiences and customers that way. There are many things that you are legally able to do. The question is, should you enforce them?
As far as reading material goes, by not posting it on the internet, you make far more money. I can only speak for myself, but if I am able to read something on the web, I'd read it on the web instead of spending money on the actual material. If I cannot read it on the web, I just wouldn't read it. So perhaps you lose more audience but gain more customers.
In general, of course. If I really like the series, I might still buy the books even after reading it online, especially now that the Yen-Dollar exchange ratio is a lot kinder on the wallet.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 03:59   Link #408
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Entirely legal, but Nintendo will suffer the consequences.
Let me ask, how much has Microsoft suffered when they did the same thing Nintendo is doing now back in 2012? More than enough time has passed for Microsoft to suffer the catastrophes you all are predicting Nintendo will face for doing the same thing. So what consequences did they suffer that all the news outlets have reported?
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 04:13   Link #409
Sides

Quote:
You seem to take a different stance here. That LPers have been leaching off Nintendo's work and get paid.
No my stance it that a lot of people using youtube, twitter and facebook don't know what they are doing. Like I said, if you post a cover version of a song or adaption of an unoriginal theatrical/screen play, you need to get the rights to do it first, especially if you are trying to profit out of it. It is not about leeching from another, but to cover your basics if you want to money. At the moment, if you want, I am accusing some LPs for playing dumb, and they knew about the terms and condition on youtube, besides the media laws. If they didn't, they should have read up before setting up a business service on youtube. Only because they ignore the to read the terms doesn't mean they are right and shouldn't be allowed to be portrait as the victims for their stupidity.

RRG 1&2HD

Official HP
The game doesn't look much different from the PS3 version, apart being able to play off-TV and having some information displayed on the gamepad
Old 2013-05-20, 21:39   Link #410
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-wii-u-is-crap

It never fails to amaze how people can vent on social media without thinking of the consequences. His twitters have been deleted, so he obviously saw the light, but like most things on the internet, they were already let loose into the glorious intertubes.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 13:48   Link #411
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
I saw a very interesting blog post over at Gamasutra on why the Wii U still has quite a bit of a shot. Worth a read: 3 reasons why Nintendo won’t abandon the hardware market

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 05:23   Link #412
Sides

lol EA back on the WiiU, source polygon
The fact that the news is on polygon and by an EA financial guy, just makes me smile..
Nevertheless looks like what EA is trying to say "no high profile games for WiiU, but you can have all the shoveware shit that makes us money Muhahahaha"
Old 2013-05-22, 15:34   Link #413
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
lol EA back on the WiiU, source polygon
The fact that the news is on polygon and by an EA financial guy, just makes me smile..
Nevertheless looks like what EA is trying to say "no high profile games for WiiU, but you can have all the shoveware shit that makes us money Muhahahaha"
So... the same thing everyone did for the Wii then?

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 08:16   Link #414
Sides

Love these commercials for game & wario

If you want to support the crowdfarter campaign, check out his site http://gameandwario.nintendo.com/crowdfarter/ and click on like, re-tweet or something. Like always I suggests that you use a secondary/alternative/fake account for such stuff.
Think the idea is quite funny and kind of raises the awareness that not every project on crowd-funding sites should be blindly supported.
Old 2013-05-23, 10:11   Link #415
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
So... the same thing everyone did for the Wii then?
Pretty much

At the very least Nintendo seems to have Sega and Platinum Games on board this time, which is much more than what they had for the Wii.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 11:35   Link #416
Westlo
Lets be reality

Sega did exclusives for the Wii as well, platformers and Olympic games, the exact same things they just announced. Oh and a late port of a hd update that's going to do nothing, meanwhile Yakuza 6 will come out on ps4 and sell 50 times as much and neither of them will get released in English.

MEGATON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
A lot of people will buy this console just for the new Super Smash Bros title.
I'm sure it will but people forget that the gamecube had Melee at launch... lot of good it did them, to paraphrase Iwata, "If the Wii sells like the Gamecube we should leave this business", hilariously the Wii U is selling far worse.

Also Namco are having a lot of involvement with this current Smash Bros, due to Nintendo not being having to go through the "HD pains" because of the Wii until now a lot of "outsourcing" has been done. Sure Namco know fighting games but do they know Smash?

Also Retro's rumored project is a online focused futuristic FPS, can't wait for Nintendo fans who have shitted on the genre for years to suddenly act like this game is the next best thing since sliced bread.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 11:54   Link #417
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Sega did exclusives for the Wii as well, platformers and Olympic games, the exact same things they just announced. Oh and a late port of a hd update that's going to do nothing, meanwhile Yakuza 6 will come out on ps4 and sell 50 times as much and neither of them will get released in English.
Sega only gave Nintendo Sonic Colors and the Olympic games as exclusives. Unleashed was cross platform and so was Generations, only with the Wii excluded. If you want to count the "mainline" Sonic games, then the Olympic games don't even count as exclusives.

In the most recent Nintendo Direct, Iwata announced that Nintendo and Sega would be entering a worldwide partnership, so I'm hoping that means they're sticking with Nintendo all the way through, even after Sonic Lost World.
Old 2013-05-23, 12:13   Link #418
Extremesonic101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Sega only gave Nintendo Sonic Colors and the Olympic games as exclusives. Unleashed was cross platform and so was Generations, only with the Wii excluded. If you want to count the "mainline" Sonic games, then the Olympic games don't even count as exclusives.

In the most recent Nintendo Direct, Iwata announced that Nintendo and Sega would be entering a worldwide partnership, so I'm hoping that means they're sticking with Nintendo all the way through, even after Sonic Lost World.
What about Sonic And the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight?
Can't wait for Sonic Lost World even if the "Six Guardians" don't really look like Sonic characters.

Also was there ever any news regarding the project with the Xenoblade Chronicles team? I'm so upset that I missed out on Xenoblade since I love Pandora's Tower and Last Story so I don't wanna miss this one
Extremesonic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 12:18   Link #419
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremesonic101 View Post
What about Sonic And the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight?
Oh right... I really forgot about those because of how bad they were
Old 2013-05-23, 12:21   Link #420
Extremesonic101

lol you said Nintendo exclusive sonic games you never said they had to be good ones XP
Extremesonic101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo