AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2014-08-13, 15:40   Link #4821
HolySin

Will Mother's Rosario be included in season two?
Old 2014-08-13, 15:56   Link #4822
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolySin View Post
Will Mother's Rosario be included in season two?
yea, also probably caliber too
Old 2014-08-13, 20:14   Link #4823
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
iirc its a non-canon
What Tusjecht said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
The explanation is a little complicated.

Flere was reading Chinese translations from the Chinese fan forums. In the translations, they use the character 妃. It's read as kisaki in Japanese, and in English, 'queen' is an appropriate translation.

However, the more conventional way to address the Queen is joō 女王. So there is a difference in the two terms of address: that the use of 女王 implies there is one Queen, and 妃 implies that there are more [queens.]

Both translate to Queen in English, but that a different character was used is the basis that Kirito married other girls as well.

Think of the difference as how you would distinguish between the synonyms 'acquired' and 'took.' The first implies that you received something, but saying you took something bring into question whether you obtained it with consent.

There has been no evidence to show that it wasn't canon. Cradle Of The Moon wasn't completed by the time Kawahara was ordered to take down the web novel and republish it.
Cradle of the Moon is unfinished, not necessarily 'non-canon'. CotM was written in the same series as short stories like 'Red Nosed Reindeer', 'Black Swordsman' that was published in Vol2 when WEB got turned into LN form. They all have the same kind of labels like EX02, EX03 and so on back then (ie, EXtra story #0X), with CotM named EX07.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-13, 21:10   Link #4824
AP24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
yea, also probably caliber too
And if there's one or two episodes left probably the early parts of vol 9 too
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-13, 23:19   Link #4825
l.kostas

In the Chinese translation they just took the term from the Japanese text as it is:
星王と星王妃が、主星カルディナはセントラル・カセドラルの玉座を去ってすでに三十年が過ぎた。

In Chinese it does imply there were more wives, here it says the term 妃 means consort, one of many, but I don't think in Japanese it has the same meaning:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...n_Japanese?p=2
After this scene Asuna suddenly accepted him having more wives? :
Spoiler:

Last edited by l.kostas; 2014-08-14 at 03:07.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 05:32   Link #4826
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.kostas View Post
In the Chinese translation they just took the term from the Japanese text as it is:
星王と星王妃が、主星カルディナはセントラル・カセドラルの玉座を去ってすでに三十年が過ぎた。

In Chinese it does imply there were more wives, here it says the term 妃 means consort, one of many, but I don't think in Japanese it has the same meaning:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...n_Japanese?p=2
Huh, didn't know that Japanese tidbit. Oh well, it's not like we don't have CotM for harem ending shipper bait
Old 2014-08-14, 05:48   Link #4827
Kazu-kun

Either way, it's not like Kirito is interesting enough a character for us to care about his insipid love life, if you can call it that.

That said, since I can into Japanese a bit, I should clarify this:

In Japanese 女王 has the meaning of "female king" and refers to a "queen regnant", like Elizabeth I. 王妃 refers to "queen" as in "wife of the king," but it doesn't necessarily imply there are others "queens" or "wives." For example, Alexandra Feodorovna would be called 王妃 in Japanese, but last I checked poor Nicholas II didn't have any harem.

Then again, this doesn't mean Kirito didn't have a harem. It just means we don't have any evidence to say he did. Kawahara can pull a harem out of his ass at any moment.

More importantly, what we can be sure of is that Asuna didn't rule. That doesn't surprise me since this series is a bit too chauvinistic for that, but personally I think Asuna would have made a better ruler than Kirito, even if he's all around more "awesome" and whatnot.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-08-14 at 07:07.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 11:11   Link #4828
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
If my memory is correct, during the first few hours after they got out of UW, he referred to Asuna as his "queen".
and i think their memory are erased soon after they step out from STL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
There has been no evidence to show that it wasn't canon. Cradle Of The Moon wasn't completed by the time Kawahara was ordered to take down the web novel and republish it.
the last date when kunori update CotM is Dec 2009 which is after the publication of SAO btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
the side story moon's cradle which takes place during the 200 years kirito ruled UW implied as such.
It is just Ronye/Tieze said he have the right to do so according to the fundemental law of underworld, it imply nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
I remember pointing this out a few years ago. I think this is what has kept me a fan of this series all these years even after the reflexive hate it gets. Dunno it's become something of a psychological reaction to me now to be defensive about this series. It's just hard to have a discussion about SAO now because a lot of viewers come in with jaded eyes and preconceptions. It doesn't help when SAO has become a popular whipping show to hate for the "cool" crowd.

My BFF who is a writer pretty much started disliking SAO because of "poor writing" and considering Kirito to be a Gary Stu. (A term which I do not like since it has lost all meaning and is simply short hand for "characters I don't like") And to me it was such a loss since he couldn't appreciate what the story presented. He felt that Log Horizon tackled the issue of AI/Other life better just because it was tackled much earlier and that Alicization came in too late in that sense.

Still I guess I've been willing to cut SAO a lot of slack due to the circumstances it was written plus the fact that Kawahara actually knows his own faults in writing from the authors notes and interviews.
those are not what the main SAO series strength at anyway...and political-wise, as far as things are interpreted normally i dont think there would be problem...As far as some web scene does not get published...
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 21:13   Link #4829
Rageth
That Guy

Just uploaded all the illustrations over at the SAO wiki
Rageth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-15, 09:56   Link #4830
HolySin

Been wanting to ask this for awhile so..... are all Material Editions side stories?.
Also I've read two versions of caliber. First is where they defeat the King Giant, Second is where they lost, which is the Original?
Old 2014-08-15, 10:32   Link #4831
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolySin View Post
Been wanting to ask this for awhile so..... are all Material Editions side stories?.
Not all. Material Edition 2 are just data for some characters. (and outdated because that data set only follow the web version)
Quote:
Also I've read two versions of caliber. First is where they defeat the King Giant, Second is where they lost, which is the Original?
the one they success is the one published in the book. the one they fail is a "what-if" version that publish on magazine.
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-15, 15:20   Link #4832
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
those are not what the main SAO series strength at anyway...and political-wise, as far as things are interpreted normally i dont think there would be problem...As far as some web scene does not get published...
Well I just try to get past the usual "Omg action and harem OTP" thinking when it comes to this series. It gets tiring talking about it all the time.
Old 2014-08-17, 07:46   Link #4833
nooneagain

In the Mother's Rosario arc; sword tournament ...are magics or other skills(like arm blast) allowed, or is it only limited to sword skills?
nooneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-18, 16:47   Link #4834
lightless

Is the light novel #15 available already? If so, how can I get it?

The wiki page says it's released already, but I'm a bit lost. Also, I understand someone might have explained it in this thread but as it's 240+ pages I can't read it all =/

Thanks in advance,
lightless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-18, 17:00   Link #4835
Queen of Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightless View Post
Is the light novel #15 available already? If so, how can I get it?

The wiki page says it's released already, but I'm a bit lost. Also, I understand someone might have explained it in this thread but as it's 240+ pages I can't read it all =/

Thanks in advance,
Umm... yeah, it's available. In Japanese. I think you could google it to see if you can buy it online, but there are no English translations yet.
Queen of Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-18, 19:03   Link #4836
Flere821
Lurker

As for Chinese translations, RKL says he has some RL stuff right now and so he'll get to it next month.
Old 2014-08-18, 22:02   Link #4837
M.A.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneagain View Post
In the Mother's Rosario arc; sword tournament ...are magics or other skills(like arm blast) allowed, or is it only limited to sword skills?
I don't remember it being mentioned specifically, but magic is probably not allowed. It's a sword tournament, after all. I'm 100% sure nobody used magic in Zekken's mini-tournament, at least, and every high-ranking players in those were praised for their sword skills, not their magic. However, sword techniques like Arms Blast are accepted with no problem.
M.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 22:36   Link #4838
Illumination

I've come across some information on the latest arc/novel in the series but can't confirm it due to no english translation... talking about Alicization (4th Arc) Was wondering If someone who has already read through the Light novel series and is up to date on the story line could reply to my post so that I may possibly ask him/her my question on the information I came across so I can get it confirmed if at all possible? I don't want to post this possible spoiler so yeah..
Illumination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-20, 03:24   Link #4839
Queen of Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumination View Post
I've come across some information on the latest arc/novel in the series but can't confirm it due to no english translation... talking about Alicization (4th Arc) Was wondering If someone who has already read through the Light novel series and is up to date on the story line could reply to my post so that I may possibly ask him/her my question on the information I came across so I can get it confirmed if at all possible? I don't want to post this possible spoiler so yeah..
Ask away.
Queen of Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-20, 06:29   Link #4840
HolySin

Haven't read the Alicization Beginning, but I'm curious about it's Material Edition where Underworld has an acceleration of 10000 times...so how much is it's normal acceleration? or is it even capable of accelerating brain processing?

Tags
action, gaming, harem, kirito, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality