AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-18, 10:46   Link #1341
noobita
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Just go and read Mother's Rosario. Once that's done, your fears will be put to rest.
Call me lazy, but I would like you to give a short summary or which chapter that resolve everything.
__________________
noobita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 10:53   Link #1342
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Call me lazy, but I would like you to give a short summary or which chapter that resolve everything.
That is a terrible approach. These stories are excellent, and no summary can possibly relate the feel of having truly read them. Go read. It is the only way to understand.
Random Wanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 11:05   Link #1343
noobita
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
That is a terrible approach. These stories are excellent, and no summary can possibly relate the feel of having truly read them. Go read. It is the only way to understand.
That is because I am not good at reading novel. My reading comprehension sucks.
__________________
noobita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 11:17   Link #1344
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
That is because I am not good at reading novel. My reading comprehension sucks.
Read the whole thing. You won't regret it, trust me. The resolution of Asuna and her mother's quarrels makes NO Sense unless you read the rest of Mother's Rosario.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 11:34   Link #1345
Rovert10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Call me lazy, but I would like you to give a short summary or which chapter that resolve everything.
No summary will do any justice to the emotional value of that volume or any of the other ones.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 11:56   Link #1346
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
What the above posters have said.

Attempting to sumarize what happened in that volume can be done, but it will not work because you need the emotional involvement.

It's like saying, "An old man stands up to Loki in Germany. Then Cap shows up." That sumarizes a scene but loses the entire power of what happens: the despair and fear of the people, Loki's gloating and egotistical posturing, the old man who defiantly refuses to cower before a tyrant, and Captain America's entry with the Mighty Shield.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:22   Link #1347
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: You Guess
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
I think Kirito will just use " Seeding the seed" technique and forces Asuna's mother to accept their marriage.
Mom would probably be like "Go get an abortion. Now."

Quote:
That is because I am not good at reading novel. My reading comprehension sucks.
I'll put a 4th on the read it motion.
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:44   Link #1348
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
I think Kirito will just use " Seeding the seed" technique and forces Asuna's mother to accept their marriage.
no need to go that far. Asuna is 17 closing on 18. Despite how anime portrayal japan's 1%. Asuna as a legal adult can move out and establish her own independence and there is nothing her family can do about it. Also since Asuna family is one of those old style ones with a lot of power and influence. She can threaten to embarrass the hell out of them if they try to interfere with her life.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:05   Link #1349
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Isn't majority in Japan at 20?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:08   Link #1350
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
no need to go that far. Asuna is 17 closing on 18. Despite how anime portrayal japan's 1%. Asuna as a legal adult can move out and establish her own independence and there is nothing her family can do about it. Also since Asuna family is one of those old style ones with a lot of power and influence. She can threaten to embarrass the hell out of them if they try to interfere with her life.
Another consideration is that Asuna intends to follow Kirito to Santa Clara University. Now, if she does wish to study in America, I'd have imagined she does have the intelligence to go to Caltech or MIT, but even Santa Clara should be decent enough. (Now, if Kirito had said he wanted to go to Caltech, there's utterly nothing Asuna's parents could object to if Asuna wanted to do the same).

More so depending on what Kirito plans on specializing in - certainly, being a researcher would be considered a decent outcome for someone of Asuna's station, and I don't think her parents would actually object. The problem, I think is that Kyouko underestimates Kirito's intelligence by a mile- Kirito being underestimated is a continually used theme in SAO.

Kirito isn't an idiot- indeed, to the contrary, I personally suspect he's intelligent and skillful enough to keep up with the likes of Kayaba. Now, if Kirito did achieve what he set out to do (follow in the footsteps of Kayaba), I do not think Asuna's parents would have much objections to Asuna marrying Kirito, once Kirito obtains his Doctorate and establishes himself as a researcher in the field of Virtual Reality technology. Which is incidentally RETCO's core competency anyway, there's completely no shame to the family if Asuna is a Scientist marrying another Scientist, and indeed, an anticipated outcome.

In any case, the denouement Mother's Rosario changed the entire situation significantly.

But the thing is that Kirito and Asuna's friends themselves know that Kirito and Asuna are going to walk a path far from them, and drifting away even in a world of instantaneous communications and VR Versions of Skype is a distinct possibility.

The amount of Data "There is but one ultimate way" collected on human group psychology, mating patterns and bonding must have been invaluable.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:11   Link #1351
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Isn't majority in Japan at 20?
i thought it was 18 since MacArthur wrote the Japanese Constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
there's completely no shame to the family if Asuna is a Scientist marrying another Scientist, and indeed, an anticipated outcome.
it would make Kirito more acceptable but there will always be a certain looking down on Asuna and Kirito form the rest of the family. Kirito because he didn't go to the right school or come form the right family. Asuna because she didn't married someone with the right pedigree but a "commoner"
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:23   Link #1352
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I have finished reading volume 7. It brought me to the verge of tears several times. It...

Let all honor be given to the champion, the Absolute Sword, Konno Yuuki! Let her name be held in remembrance for all time! Let it be told to your children, and your children's children so that the wonders she has accomplished will never be forgotten!

May the strength she has given our heroes endure for the rest of their lives, so they may never again lose sight of what their true goals are.
Random Wanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:40   Link #1353
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i thought it was 18 since MacArthur wrote the Japanese Constitution.


it would make Kirito more acceptable but there will always be a certain looking down on Asuna and Kirito form the rest of the family. Kirito because he didn't go to the right school or come form the right family. Asuna because she didn't married someone with the right pedigree but a "commoner"
True. But the same could be said of Asuna's father's decision to marry a commoner. I'd imagine at that rate, that branch of the Family would be regarded as Black Sheeps of sorts. Wealthy ones likely, at the cutting edge of technology.

Also, we have no idea how prevalent is marriage to those of right pedigree common in the Yuuki's.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:42   Link #1354
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
True. But the same could be said of Asuna's father's decision to marry a commoner. I'd imagine at that rate, that branch of the Family would be regarded as Black Sheeps of sorts. Wealthy ones likely, at the cutting edge of technology.
which is probably where Asuna's mother got that chip on her shoulder.

Quote:
Also, we have no idea how prevalent is marriage to those of right pedigree common in the Yuuki's.
base on Asuna's summary view of family, i would say quite prevalent.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 14:29   Link #1355
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: You Guess
Age: 20
Quote:
base on Asuna's summary view of family, i would say quite prevalent.
BT Volume 7: Chapter 1 Translation
"Taking a look at the family pedigree, presidents and bureaucrats were everywhere."

Yeah... the way she describes it in the chapter sounds like your typical rat race. Good schools, good universities, and good jobs about sums it up. There's even an annual ranking at the main house each beginning of the year.

They also "did" try to set Asuna up with that banker cousin of two years above. She, of course, wanted no part in it.
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 16:37   Link #1356
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Another consideration is that Asuna intends to follow Kirito to Santa Clara University. Now, if she does wish to study in America, I'd have imagined she does have the intelligence to go to Caltech or MIT, but even Santa Clara should be decent enough. (Now, if Kirito had said he wanted to go to Caltech, there's utterly nothing Asuna's parents could object to if Asuna wanted to do the same).

More so depending on what Kirito plans on specializing in - certainly, being a researcher would be considered a decent outcome for someone of Asuna's station, and I don't think her parents would actually object. The problem, I think is that Kyouko underestimates Kirito's intelligence by a mile- Kirito being underestimated is a continually used theme in SAO.

Kirito isn't an idiot- indeed, to the contrary, I personally suspect he's intelligent and skillful enough to keep up with the likes of Kayaba.
Kayaba fathered at least two paradigm shifting technologies: the Nervgear and the AI to run SAO. There's nothing to indicate that Kirito's that kind of genius. He's smart, and good with computers and electronics, but so are countless kids.

Besides, intelligence isn't the issue. Pedigree, connections, achievements... Those are what the mother looked at. And from that point of view, Kirito was and is a nobody. (Yeah, I wonder why everyone conveniently forgets he's the hero of Aincrad...)


Quote:
Now, if Kirito did achieve what he set out to do (follow in the footsteps of Kayaba), I do not think Asuna's parents would have much objections to Asuna marrying Kirito, once Kirito obtains his Doctorate and establishes himself as a researcher in the field of Virtual Reality technology. Which is incidentally RETCO's core competency anyway, there's completely no shame to the family if Asuna is a Scientist marrying another Scientist, and indeed, an anticipated outcome.
Kirito isn't out of high school. How long before he makes a name for himself? It wouldn't be enough for him to be "a scientist". He'd have to have something to show for it.

Quote:
In any case, the denouement Mother's Rosario changed the entire situation significantly.
Yes, fortunately.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 16:47   Link #1357
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Kayaba fathered at least two paradigm shifting technologies: the Nervgear and the AI to run SAO. There's nothing to indicate that Kirito's that kind of genius. He's smart, and good with computers and electronics, but so are countless kids.
i agree

Kirito is talented, Kayaba is Genius.

Quote:
Besides, intelligence isn't the issue. Pedigree, connections, achievements... Those are what the mother looked at. And from that point of view, Kirito was and is a nobody. (Yeah, I wonder why everyone conveniently forgets he's the hero of Aincrad...)
because the government didn't publish what happen in SAO, so outside of a few no ones knows what kirito did.


Which is the least believable part of the novel. The media coverage would have been intense and somebody would have leak what happen.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 16:49   Link #1358
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
You'd think Asuna would have told her mother. And that her mother wouldn't have cared...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 16:52   Link #1359
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You'd think Asuna would have told her mother. And that her mother wouldn't have cared...
Asuna's mother knew but she just doesn't care about that sort of thing. i think she was more annoy by Asuna dropping out of the Rankings in the head House then the 4000 dead because of SAO. She remind me a lot of Natsuhi form umineko. The stress of marrying into a prestige familiy like the Yuuki probably got to her.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 17:05   Link #1360
astray71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Another consideration is that Asuna intends to follow Kirito to Santa Clara University. Now, if she does wish to study in America, I'd have imagined she does have the intelligence to go to Caltech or MIT, but even Santa Clara should be decent enough. (Now, if Kirito had said he wanted to go to Caltech, there's utterly nothing Asuna's parents could object to if Asuna wanted to do the same).

More so depending on what Kirito plans on specializing in - certainly, being a researcher would be considered a decent outcome for someone of Asuna's station, and I don't think her parents would actually object. The problem, I think is that Kyouko underestimates Kirito's intelligence by a mile- Kirito being underestimated is a continually used theme in SAO.

Kirito isn't an idiot- indeed, to the contrary, I personally suspect he's intelligent and skillful enough to keep up with the likes of Kayaba. Now, if Kirito did achieve what he set out to do (follow in the footsteps of Kayaba), I do not think Asuna's parents would have much objections to Asuna marrying Kirito, once Kirito obtains his Doctorate and establishes himself as a researcher in the field of Virtual Reality technology. Which is incidentally RETCO's core competency anyway, there's completely no shame to the family if Asuna is a Scientist marrying another Scientist, and indeed, an anticipated outcome.

In any case, the denouement Mother's Rosario changed the entire situation significantly.

But the thing is that Kirito and Asuna's friends themselves know that Kirito and Asuna are going to walk a path far from them, and drifting away even in a world of instantaneous communications and VR Versions of Skype is a distinct possibility.

The amount of Data "There is but one ultimate way" collected on human group psychology, mating patterns and bonding must have been invaluable.
I have read volume 7, but I don't recall when Kirito meeting Asuna's parents or her parents even mentioning Kirito.
Spoiler:

Can someone point out where her parents mentioned Kirito so I can take a look at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i agree

Kirito is talented, Kayaba is Genius.

because the government didn't publish what happen in SAO, so outside of a few no ones knows what kirito did.


Which is the least believable part of the novel. The media coverage would have been intense and somebody would have leak what happen.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
Spoiler:
astray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, gaming, harem, kirito, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.