AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-09-23, 06:50   Link #41
S_C_L-1
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: in the whereabouts of Montreal, Quebec
Age: 26
i was hoping Oda would get some devellopement going for that girl who works with smoker (she really needs it if i cant remember her name...)

it would be the perfect opportunity...
S_C_L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 13:45   Link #42
Dr.Kureha
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
I think it might have been in the hawkeye's bounty topic where it was speculated that mihawks sword was made of seastone so that he could fight df users.

This would be a awsome oppertinity for Zoro to get a sword made of seastone then a whole new range of fight scenes would be opened up.

If soon in the future the strawhats will be goin up against more logia type users, aokiji etc, a sword like that would really come in handy.
Dr.Kureha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 16:40   Link #43
DrFuko
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
How bout a seastone, DF sword?

Oh wait....
DrFuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 18:22   Link #44
kari-no-sugata
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
If Zoro gets a chance to fight one of the VAs from the Buster Call, maybe one of them will turn out to have a great sword, and he'll steal it. (That'd certainly make you-know-who very angry when she finds out)

I wouldn't expect Zoro's new sword to be too different, because otherwise it would become too unbalanced. He'll probably get a replacement sword which is (say) a level above the one he just lost, but no more than that. Possibly another cursed sword... or a sword with a bit of history, but not some off-the-wall sword.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 19:21   Link #45
Ultimate carl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Hawk-Eyes Zoro? (Recent manga spoilers)

Anyone who's read the CP9 Fights, did anyone notice that before Zoro did his crazy powerful new technique, Kaku comments on his eyes? A panel shows Zoro and his eyes look eerily similar... I think I noticed this right before he learns to cut steel while fighting Mr. 1, though they don't bring it up in dialogue in this case.

Anyone else think that having "Hawk-Eyes" is a sign of mastery in Swordsmanship? After all, the strongest swordsman in the world has them, and Zoro seems to show them off any time he raises in ability.

Also for people discussing what Zoro's new sword will be... Anyone else halfway hoping it'll be Funk Freed? XD I thought he was cute! It's not his fault Spanda made him do mean stuff!
Ultimate carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 19:29   Link #46
ragweed
woah woah!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: on the edge of everything I've never been
Age: 26
xD I made this exact thread in another forum~



The real question is, is it intentional?
Quote:
Anyway, the reason why I posted this is because it's either A) Important, because Oda is giving Zoro 'the eyes of a swordsman' or B) Amusing, because as Zoro progresses, so does Oda's style. It's like Oda is making him look more Mihawkish with out knowing it. They're progressing together, both artist and creation! XD
ragweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 19:37   Link #47
Ultimate carl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Yeah. Now I feel stupid for posting it when someone already brought it up...

Great image, though! XD Personally I think It's somewhat intentional. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it except for the fact that Kaku specifically mentions hos his eyes seemed different. I did notice it during the end of episode 118 where Zoro tells Mr. 1 about how after he beats him he'll have become a man who can cut steel and, more importantly, one step stronger.

On the other hand, though, anyone think anything about Funk Freed? I mean, he's really nearby the fight. It's possible he's conscious again and decided to turn into a sword so he didn't attract attention, and Zoro might just quickly grab him so he'll have three swords again. I hope he doesn't ever put it in his mouth, though. XD
Ultimate carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 19:42   Link #48
cheese4u
da big boss
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
If Zoro gets a chance to fight one of the VAs from the Buster Call, maybe one of them will turn out to have a great sword, and he'll steal it. (That'd certainly make you-know-who very angry when she finds out)

I wouldn't expect Zoro's new sword to be too different, because otherwise it would become too unbalanced. He'll probably get a replacement sword which is (say) a level above the one he just lost, but no more than that. Possibly another cursed sword... or a sword with a bit of history, but not some off-the-wall sword.

Whoever said that a DF sword had to be "off the wall." If Zoro does get a sword with DF abilities it maybe a sword that matches his personality and abilities. I personally think that if Oda does decide to give Zoro a DF sword it would be because the show is progressing, and thusly the characters need to progress. Zoro has learned some amazing new techniques, but they all follow the same principle of basic swordsmanship. He finishes every fight pretty much the same way, I think a DF sword would be a nice touch for Zoro.
__________________
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 19:44   Link #49
S_C_L-1
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: in the whereabouts of Montreal, Quebec
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u
Whoever said that a DF sword had to be "off the wall." If Zoro does get a sword with DF abilities it maybe a sword that matches his personality and abilities. I personally think that if Oda does decide to give Zoro a DF sword it would be because the show is progressing, and thusly the characters need to progress. Zoro has learned some amazing new techniques, but they all follow the same principle of basic swordsmanship. He finishes every fight pretty much the same way, I think a DF sword would be a nice touch for Zoro.
so would sanji get DF shoes? lol (had to say it)
S_C_L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 19:44   Link #50
airsBlue
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
um.. i think the main reason for calling Mihawk: Hawk-Eyes becasue of the pupils of his eyes have unique look like real Hawk ... if u look careful on his Name: Mihawk ... he was even born with Hawk in his name because of his eyes not becasue his parents knew he will be great swordman.
if these picture were big and in colors u will see a huge difference between the two of them.
and as 2nd point ... i never saw Mihawk eyes when he fight for real .. even when he fought aginst zoro he was playing.
and zoro always haded the same look when he put his green bandana on

Last edited by airsBlue; 2006-09-23 at 20:03.
airsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 20:07   Link #51
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wouldn't you like to know
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u
Whoever said that a DF sword had to be "off the wall." If Zoro does get a sword with DF abilities it maybe a sword that matches his personality and abilities. I personally think that if Oda does decide to give Zoro a DF sword it would be because the show is progressing, and thusly the characters need to progress. Zoro has learned some amazing new techniques, but they all follow the same principle of basic swordsmanship. He finishes every fight pretty much the same way, I think a DF sword would be a nice touch for Zoro.
Yeah, asura is really just the same way of ending a fight as any other...Really, I don't get how exactly him doing something based off of "basic" swordmanship to exactly be a bad thing when the usage of a sword pretty much built upon it anyway. That would be like criticizing Sanji for using kicks or Luffy for making usage of his rubber body. I'm hoping you can give some more clarification.

Anyway, on the eariler on made comment, it remains that you don't really have much proof to say that Zoro's still existing swords are below his level of skill. Where I don't really see where you get this idea that his swords are lacking in terms of him surpassing him. Including when the swords he still have are special anyway.

The idea of giving him a DF sword still doesn't really make sense when Zoro shouldn't really be expected to need it with what he has pulled out recently. Just let him be a swordsman rather than some guy who needs to use a DF when his fighting style wasn't based upon using one anyway whatsoever.
__________________
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 20:39   Link #52
DrFuko
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Since were dreaming, why not feed Luffy's hat a devil fruit.

And come to think of it... what kind of funky device would Usopp build with some seastone?
DrFuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 21:10   Link #53
cheese4u
da big boss
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
Yeah, asura is really just the same way of ending a fight as any other...Really, I don't get how exactly him doing something based off of "basic" swordmanship to exactly be a bad thing when the usage of a sword pretty much built upon it anyway. That would be like criticizing Sanji for using kicks or Luffy for making usage of his rubber body. I'm hoping you can give some more clarification.
All I was saying is that it would be a nice touch if Zoro had a DF sword to replace the one that he broke. As a matter of fact it doesn't even have to be a DF sword, it could be just some other kind of special sword. Haven't you ever noticed that those on One Piece who wield weapons often have them upgraded one way or another. Nami went from a staff, to a climatact staff, to Skypiea dial staff. Usopp went from a normal slingshot, to a slingshot staff. Even Zoro himself when his two swords broke, he got them replaced with two other swords worth millions. I think this might be Zoro's opportunity to get a special sword of some kind, DF sword is just the first thing that came to mind.

Quote:
Anyway, on the eariler on made comment, it remains that you don't really have much proof to say that Zoro's still existing swords are below his level of skill. Where I don't really see where you get this idea that his swords are lacking in terms of him surpassing him. Including when the swords he still have are special anyway.
Alright I'm going to explain this one more time. I never said that his swords are below his level of skill. I said that at some point he's going to have to get that sword replaced with another sword that can handle his level of skill like the ones that he's wielding currently. It was just a general statement.


Quote:
The idea of giving him a DF sword still doesn't really make sense when Zoro shouldn't really be expected to need it with what he has pulled out recently. Just let him be a swordsman rather than some guy who needs to use a DF when his fighting style wasn't based upon using one anyway whatsoever
Agreed, but you seem to be misguided at what I was saying. I wasn't implying that he needed a DF sword, I was merely saying that it would be good way to reinnovate himself as a character not as a person.
__________________
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 22:07   Link #54
Oberon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
The thing is, Zorros's sword will be back! Yes, you heard me right. Zorro will be grief stricken after he calms down after the current fighting. Luffy will manage to piss him off, by saying that he simply should get a new sword. They'll have a fight and Zorro will leave the crew for a while, though they'll be reunited shortly thereafter, as Zorro will, in the disguise of a guy named Zollo from the school of the 2-sword style, help them out with a new enemy. At the end of the arc when all is seemingly lost and only Zorro's 3-sword style can save the day, his seemingly destroyed sword will, I kid you not, will fall from the heavens to help out the crew again. All are overjoyed be the swords return and jump towards it, yelling "TO THE SWORD!", while it flies towards them with great speed. Well, thats where things start to go wrong and they all end up skewerd by it, because they didn't remember that it's unwise to jump into the path of an incoming flying sword. The End.

PS: The chps title will be "Shashlik".

PPS: Don't tell Oda I let this information out.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 23:05   Link #55
Dual247
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
i'm all for zoro to get a better sword after the demise of yubashira. however, no way do i want zoro to hold and use a DF sword or a seastone sword for the long term. my reasoning is simple, having a DF of any kind really is like a gimick. a DF sword would obviously have some kind of feature that makes it easier for zoro to beat his opponents. that to me is not the essense of what makes roronoa the powerhouse that he is today. he is where he's at due purely by his own strenght and training. having a gimick feature to help him in battle makes no sense to me. is it possible that he might get one. maybe, but i sure hope oda doesn't go that route.

as to a seastone katana. at first, i actually liked the idea, because it could allow him to actually fight logia users. then i came to my senses. there's two things wrong with that idea. first, is that he's part of the mugiwaras, and he's with luffy all the time. having a seastone would w/ him would weaken luffy throughout their journey on the grandline. secondly, if he had a seastone katana, there'll be almost no point in having anymore logia users in OP. let's say aokiji comes along again. the admiral's threat to the strawhats would be nonexistent. just tell zoro to cut him in half and we're done with that. that would make some weakass strongtelling. the same goes for almost any logia. that to me, makes zoro too damn strong. i rather, like i said in the first paragraph see zoro continues his path down as a great swordsman through his own strength. he might even learn to cut logias by himself in the end. forget the freakin gimicks.

in the end, i prefer zoro to get a "Great 21" katana. as much as i want to see him weilding a "Legendary 12" katana, i don't want to see him using one that's on a higher level than wadou ichimonji. at least not at the moment.
Dual247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 23:13   Link #56
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wouldn't you like to know
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u
All I was saying is that it would be a nice touch if Zoro had a DF sword to replace the one that he broke. As a matter of fact it doesn't even have to be a DF sword, it could be just some other kind of special sword. Haven't you ever noticed that those on One Piece who wield weapons often have them upgraded one way or another. Nami went from a staff, to a climatact staff, to Skypiea dial staff. Usopp went from a normal slingshot, to a slingshot staff. Even Zoro himself when his two swords broke, he got them replaced with two other swords worth millions. I think this might be Zoro's opportunity to get a special sword of some kind, DF sword is just the first thing that came to mind.
Except that with Zoro's "upgrade" he got swords that actually have names rather than being nameless twin swords of no distinct character or quality. Yet still be swords rather than things that move away from him being a swordsman. Zoro clearly isn't the same as Nami and Ussop where their weapons usage and faculties aren't exactly in the same world of Zoro's. Where Zoro doesn't even need sword to do something that isn't exactly normal while with Nami and Ussop without their weapons they're pretty much defenseless and the main point of being nowhere near as strange.
Quote:
Agreed, but you seem to be misguided at what I was saying. I wasn't implying that he needed a DF sword, I was merely saying that it would be good way to reinnovate himself as a character not as a person.
More like just add another thing for him to use during combat rather than truly being a reflection of his character. I would say the progression of how his swordsman's "spirit" manifest itself carries alot more than a DF sword ever really could.
__________________
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 00:44   Link #57
cheese4u
da big boss
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
Except that with Zoro's "upgrade" he got swords that actually have names rather than being nameless twin swords of no distinct character or quality. Yet still be swords rather than things that move away from him being a swordsman. Zoro clearly isn't the same as Nami and Ussop where their weapons usage and faculties aren't exactly in the same world of Zoro's. Where Zoro doesn't even need sword to do something that isn't exactly normal while with Nami and Ussop without their weapons they're pretty much defenseless and the main point of being nowhere near as strange.
No, Zoro is not the same as Nami and Usopp, but I never said that. Sure Zoro has incredible physical strength outside of his sword usage, but without his swords he's not nearly as powerful. I might be able to see Zoro defeating Luffy in battle, but could you see him defeating Luffy without his swords? Not likely. Zoro's strength, his training, and his entire way of life revolves around his swords. In a way, he's more dependent on his weapons then Nami and Usopp are on theres. So in that respect they are alot alike.

Quote:
More like just add another thing for him to use during combat rather than truly being a reflection of his character. I would say the progression of how his swordsman's "spirit" manifest itself carries alot more than a DF sword ever really could.
It seems to me that you're not skeptical of whether or not he'd wield a DF sword, but rather against the concept of DF swordsmen all together. Wasn't it Zoro himself who said it's not the sword but the swordsman. If he does get a DF sword would that be the worst thing in the world? As I said before, not all DF abilities are outlandish, it's likely if he does DF sword it would match his personality and his fighting style.
__________________
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 02:35   Link #58
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wouldn't you like to know
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u
No, Zoro is not the same as Nami and Usopp, but I never said that.
Didn't claim you did.
Quote:
Sure Zoro has incredible physical strength outside of his sword usage, but without his swords he's not nearly as powerful. I might be able to see Zoro defeating Luffy in battle, but could you see him defeating Luffy without his swords? Not likely. Zoro's strength, his training, and his entire way of life revolves around his swords. In a way, he's more dependent on his weapons then Nami and Usopp are on theres. So in that respect they are alot alike.
Gonna have to disagree. I still find the guy who can at least be dangerous on some level without his swords as less dependent on his weapon than Nami and Ussop. His fighting style of course revolves around swords but you can't fault him anymore than any person that uses a weapon. Where it remains that Zoro's strength still depends quite more heavily upon his skill than just simply his weapon. Including when Zoro still was able to seemingly materialize what he did with Asura.
Quote:
It seems to me that you're not skeptical of whether or not he'd wield a DF sword, but rather against the concept of DF swordsmen all together. Wasn't it Zoro himself who said it's not the sword but the swordsman. If he does get a DF sword would that be the worst thing in the world? As I said before, not all DF abilities are outlandish, it's likely if he does DF sword it would match his personality and his fighting style.
Yet getting and relying upon a DF still pretty much goes against the "it's not the sword but the swordsman" thing. Where it shouldn't really be necessary to give him a DF sword when he already is abnormal enough as it is. Since Zoro has been able to do what he does so far without the usage of DF, there's just really not much a point in doing so. With how his combat style has evolved to its current eyebrow raising existence it just seems to go against the notion of him getting by on his skill rather than the specialty of his swords, especially when they aren't even at the highest rank of existing swords.
__________________
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 03:26   Link #59
S_C_L-1
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: in the whereabouts of Montreal, Quebec
Age: 26
^ you say that as if shooting as accurately as Ussop doesnt require skill... and Namis Clima-tact requires a good knowledge of physics to use properly... so that whoal argument is a 'splode...
S_C_L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 03:37   Link #60
cheese4u
da big boss
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
Gonna have to disagree. I still find the guy who can at least be dangerous on some level without his swords as less dependent on his weapon than Nami and Ussop.
That depends on what type of dependency we're talking about here. Zoro can defend his self against weak opponents without his swords, but weak opponents don't matter because Zoro is a strong pirate. So only the strong would oppose him. So his true test will not come against those he's way stronger than, but those who are on the same level as him. If he fights someone who is equal in strength to him, then it will all come down to who wants it more. If he fights that same person without his swords then the situation will be a bit different. It's true that Zoro has incredible physical strength, but at least half of that runs through his swords. Just like Sanji has arm strength, but he fights exclusively with his feet. There's a lot of strength in Sanji's arms, but he couldnt've beat Mr. 2 or that Wolf guy with his hands. Comparitively, do you think Zoro could defeat Sanji without his swords? It's possible, but it's not likely. Especially at this point in the manga when they both fought and defeated opponents with almost exact strength. My point is that Zoro's strength and dependancy on his weapons are relatively equivalent to that of Usopp and Nami's. The three of them have to use their weapons to fight their respective opponents.



Quote:
Yet getting and relying upon a DF still pretty much goes against the "it's not the sword but the swordsman" thing. Where it shouldn't really be necessary to give him a DF sword when he already is abnormal enough as it is. Since Zoro has been able to do what he does so far without the usage of DF, there's just really not much a point in doing so. With how his combat style has evolved to its current eyebrow raising existence it just seems to go against the notion of him getting by on his skill rather than the specialty of his swords, especially when they aren't even at the highest rank of existing swords.
I didn't say he had to rely on his DF powers if he obtained one. You said that if Zoro got a DF sword than it wouldn't be right because he worked hard and got to this point without it. What I was saying is that it's not the sword but the swordsman, so whether he got a DF sword or not shouldn't matter. It's not what type of sword you have but how you wield it. You seem to be under the impression that DF equals invincible, or rather DF equals cheating if you're a swordsman, or just cheating period. However, Zoro himself already demonstrated that even a great swordsman with DF powers is still only has strong as his skill with a sword. It's not like once you gain a DF power you'll conquer the world. Just like with swords you have to learn and master your DF power in order for it to be affective. Luffy has developed a vast arsenal of gum gum attacks and he still has difficulty in battle. CP9 had DF powers, but surely one of their greatest advantages was their tekkai. That's the whole point of DF, It's taking what you already have and combining it with your DF power that makes it affective.
__________________
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.