AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-26, 06:43   Link #1
lolxman

Epic Anime Needed

Watched InuYasha, Getbackers, Claymore, Bleach, Naruto, Clannad, Haruhi Suzumiya no uuuhsu, Kenshin, many others that I've forgotten. Guys, I'm still looking for an epic series that seems to be missing in my Anime journey. I've seen potential anime like Inuyusha, Bleach starting out so greatly, wow epic story line, that turned flat midway. I like animes that starting out with similar themes as the former two, but it always seems to turn out NOT great. The only anime that I worship is Hikaru No Go, maybe lots of u might not know the series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikaru_no_Go, i'm totally surprised yesterday to find it ranking so high here http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime. The tension, logic flow, music, theory line in it are just prefect. Well, I'm not imlying that I need an anime that focus only on board game. I need recommendation for an EPIC series, that goes well, maybe it might not even be popular or known by all of us here.

Some series that I'll like to skip away from(either watched or not suit to taste), cowboy bebop, kanon and honeynclover love stories, school days, meccha animes like code greass or gundam, death note, wolf n spice, lucky stars, too much blood or gory like elfen lied, blood+, berserk...

So, please help me guy. My anime life is hanging at a cross path.
Old 2008-02-26, 07:10   Link #2
blewin

are you ruling out ALL mecha animes? because there're some that are much better than Gundam with great storylines and themes such as Eureka Seven and Zegapain. Both are epic and highly enjoyable.

other genres of epic animes:

Hunter x Hunter
Samurai 7
Full Metal Alchemist
Old 2008-02-26, 07:15   Link #3
r0cawearz

Definitely Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Most EPIC anime you can find out there. Every episode is action filled that gets you the "burning soul" feeling. Watch it, and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure others will agree.
Old 2008-02-26, 07:16   Link #4
lolxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
are you ruling out ALL mecha animes? because there're some that are much better than Gundam with great storylines and themes such as Eureka Seven and Zegapain. Both are epic and highly enjoyable.

other genres of epic animes:

Hunter x Hunter
Samurai 7
Full Metal Alchemist
Done with all 3 already. Prefer Samurai 7 out of the lot, but the ending....with most of the gang dead in the final battle....sad
Old 2008-02-26, 07:24   Link #5
lolxman

K, i'll try Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

er... meccha.... pls.......i'm scare of watching meccha anime, yes all of them...especially parts where the machine fly out of the port of base or base ship...no mechaa..help !
Old 2008-02-26, 07:47   Link #6
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

When talking about epic anime, the first one that comes to mind is Juuni Kokuki

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2008-02-26, 10:33   Link #7
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
legend of the galactic heroes?
that s one hell of an epic ova serie.
Old 2008-02-26, 10:40   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

Legend of the Galactic Heroes & Towards the Terra are as epic as you can get.
Old 2008-02-26, 12:16   Link #9
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolxman View Post

er... meccha.... pls.......i'm scare of watching meccha anime, yes all of them...especially parts where the machine fly out of the port of base or base ship...no mechaa..help !
Are you seriously afraid of Mecha Anime?

Hmm... I've never watched anime with that much epicness besides Gurren Lagaan, and I'm pretty sure that just takes the cake.
Old 2008-02-26, 12:18   Link #10
Amray

Full Metal Alchemist,
Gun X Sword,
and Blood+.
Old 2008-02-26, 12:59   Link #11
cerrian

Based on your criteria above, I would recommend against Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann b/c it's a 100% pure mecha series that relies on your familiarization of other classic mecha and Gainax works to truely enjoy it.

Go with Towards the Terra. It has extremely good character growth and a very tightly knitted storyline. The music did a great job of setting the moods and bringing out certain emotions when the situation required it. I was very satisfied with how the production team did a solid job in concluding the plot and tying up any loose ends.
Old 2008-02-26, 13:32   Link #12
jedinat
フリーター

I'll second Juuni Kokuki. You must watch it.
Old 2008-02-26, 13:40   Link #13
ac3y

I thought KARAS was pretty damn epic.
Old 2008-02-26, 15:11   Link #14
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Guys, leave the guy alone. If he doesn't want mecha, then he doesn't, because this forum isn't meant to convince people to like something they don't.

The word "epic" is very subjective so I'm going to avoid it in my suggestions. Rather, here are all the anime that I think are very good, but epic or not, that's up to you.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien was great in my opinion because it presented a plot in a timely manner, not stretching out the drama thus keeping the suspense level top-notch.

5 Centimeters per Second...okay I lied. This was epic. I don't even like it that much, but it was epic and beautifully presented.

Haibane Renmei...yet I lied again. This was epic. I don't even like it that much, but it was epic and beautifully presented.

SaiKano is a military/science fiction/romance/drama series that is very touching. It is by far the most realistic anime I've ever watched, which is ironic because it's science fiction, but you will know what I mean.

Bleach - Memories of Nobody is only epic because I didn't regret watching it.
Old 2008-02-26, 18:47   Link #15
r0cawearz

I too, hated mecha. Especially the types like Gundam. I never knew what was happening and understanding all these mechs, but TTGL was totally different. I looked at it as more of an adventure anime, where a young boy rises up from a low digger to a.. erm, really godly digger? You should try to watch up to 8, which is where it really sparked my interest and saw how it was so unique.
Old 2008-02-26, 19:26   Link #16
digitalmaster287

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Based on your criteria above, I would recommend against Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann b/c it's a 100% pure mecha series that relies on your familiarization of other classic mecha and Gainax works to truely enjoy it.

Go with Towards the Terra. It has extremely good character growth and a very tightly knitted storyline. The music did a great job of setting the moods and bringing out certain emotions when the situation required it. I was very satisfied with how the production team did a solid job in concluding the plot and tying up any loose ends.
I never watched any other GAINAX works and I still thought that Gurren Lagann was full of EPIC WIN. Honestly, this is one of my favourite anime if not my favourite anime and I've watched lots. You won't get this feeling from the first few eps but the last 5 are just plain amazing.
Old 2008-02-26, 20:00   Link #17
~Chakra-Chan~

Think you should try these ones:

Record of Lodoss War
Elfen Lied
Old 2008-02-26, 20:08   Link #18
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolxman View Post

Seriously people what the hell did mecha anime did to you guys? So many people when they hear mecha anime they seem to think that it's all the same, with robots shooting beam or something stupid things, that show them they barley seen any mecha anime.
Anyhow if you want epic mech anime is where to go
GaoGaiGar, GaoGaiGar Final, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster, Diebuster, RahXephon, I honestly say that there is no anime that is more epic then any of those anime and they are all mech.
Old 2008-02-26, 20:35   Link #19
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Seriously people what the hell did mecha anime did to you guys? So many people when they hear mecha anime they seem to think that it's all the same, with robots shooting beam or something stupid things, that show them they barley seen any mecha anime.
Anyhow if you want epic mech anime is where to go
GaoGaiGar, GaoGaiGar Final, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster, Diebuster, RahXephon, I honestly say that there is no anime that is more epic then any of those anime and they are all mech.

You're basically out of line there. The OP requested suggestions for an anime with an epic storyline, preferably without a focus on mecha. You are rude and disrespectful for flaming the OP's preferences in his request thread.

If the man is not interested in a mecha anime then you can either provide a helpful suggestion or respectfully shut the hell up.
Old 2008-02-26, 20:47   Link #20
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
You're basically out of line there. The OP requested suggestions for an anime with an epic storyline, preferably without a focus on mecha. You are rude and disrespectful for flaming the OP's preferences in his request thread.

If the man is not interested in a mecha anime then you can either provide a helpful suggestion or respectfully shut the hell up.
No not really, I mean I think what he said was ignorant.
Quote:
especially parts where the machine fly out of the port of base or base ship...no mechaa..help !
which is such a weird reason to not like certain genre, and from what he said I would say that he didn't give mech anime a proper chance, which was what I trying to point out. And is it so wrong to make suggest him epic anime that are mech? He could always give those anime a chance, as some of those anime are considered as a masterpiece. Just because one don't like certain genre that doesn't mean that one will not find one anime that one will like, for instance lot of people who don't like mech loved Code Geass and TTGL, I also don't like slice of life genre but ended up loving Welcome to NHK!.

Tags
epic