AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Old 2011-10-07, 21:51   Link #781
winhlp32
(‿)

The stiff animation aside, this is one of those cases where the director is just not good at making what is good source material "pop". Also as the male harem lead and the primary tsukkomi of the series, Kodaka has quite a weak presence.

Oh well, it could've been worse. Things got a lot better when Sena enters the picture. Her chemistry with Yozora looks to be the main attraction of the series. I suppose my complaints may disappear when more crazy girls enter the picture. And the OP aside, there wasn't a lot of blatant fan-service which is a plus.

So I moderately enjoyed the episode. I do have a feeling things will get better though.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 22:55   Link #782
mangatron
Doctor Booby Sensei!

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Episode 01

Man, you guys piled on pages and pages of posts. Talk about that dead time after the club went up

But as an introductory episode, it wasn't bad with the massive amount of Yozora (yeah there's only girls in this series. Don't ruin my fun ), and I have to say this episode is a good way to try and get used to Yozora's voice (for those of you who aren't). On the other hand, watching this series and Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon is a great combo for my Marina fix as she uses two different voices across these 2 series.

Back to the ep, how funny it was showing all the cast as stealthily as they did. I was hoping Kobato would show us more than just the back of her head But Sena-chan.... I'm going to confess it right here:

I'd die twice for Sena-chan

And the other confession: I absolutely love the refreshing Forest Green color of the Girls' uniforms, now that's my color!

But I find the Haruhi comparisons distasteful. How in the world is this similar, for one thing that Kodaka x Yozora/Kyon x Haruhi comparison is off the mark, everyone knows this series is about Yozara vs Sena, with Kodaka as the referee And that's what I signed on to see; Yozora and Sena barking at each other.

Anyways, not to outdo the King's avatars, but I really wanted to do these: Yes these are Animesuki friendly

The best one though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Rika's buttshake in the OP.
Before the series aired, I wasn't really feeling the Rika'ness, but after seeing that butt shaking.... RIIIIKAAAA!!!!I love your butt ponytail! So someone do me a favor and use this avatar. Yeah, I won't use it.... I have priorities you know

(Yeah I actually heavily edited that )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I just watched the actual episode, and damn that commercial break nearly killed me
That's what Zettai Ryouiki is about! It's not about seeing what's underneath, it's about the teasing that matters enough to kill me!

2x2x2 bounce!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*My uneventful Titanfall Beta experience.
*mangatron's Twintail Celebration begins with Miss Monday
from Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z
!
with my posts all these years!
XD

Last edited by mangatron; 2011-10-07 at 23:05.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 23:09   Link #783
Soliloquy
Secret Schemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
But I find the Haruhi comparisons distasteful. How in the world is this similar, for one thing that Kodaka x Yozora/Kyon x Haruhi comparison is off the mark, everyone knows this series is about Yozara vs Sena, with Kodaka as the referee And that's what I signed on to see; Yozora and Sena barking at each other.
I agree with this sentiment. I find it unfair to compare the characters to Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya just because 2 main characters found themselves found in a similar situation. Other than that, the vibe and the character interaction are very different.

I despise Harem and I found this episode enjoyable. Good thing I checked the OVA and went with relatively low expectation. It was very tame and didn't give me much impression then again, I found most first episode in the anime that way. That said, I too found Marina's voice unfit for the main girl because I'm used to hearing her more well-known role. In time I will get used to her voice just like everytime I watch other anime with her in main role.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 00:33   Link #784
HandofFate

I like the voice of the main girl, its a really good 'bantering' voice.

Episode really picked up once the popular girl joined.
I laughed @ how the guy got into situation. I really like "misunderstanding" plot devices that make a guy/girl seem out of the ordinary. Like Angel Densetsu.
Old 2011-10-08, 01:10   Link #785
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Guess my initial perception and expectations for this new series are wrong, it turned out much better than the typical cliched stuff i somehow expected.

Hoping that the coming episodes are entertaining and not unoriginal.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 02:52   Link #786
SkoolRumble4Ya

Kodoka should dye his hair black before he went to school.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 05:05   Link #787
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Is it fair to describe this show as very moe and a source of pure fetish fuel? I think the least I can say was that I kind of liked Yozora for her spunkiness and gravelly voice. Sena qualifies as a bit of a ridiculous fetish character to me though. Perfect at everything and the ultimate bishoujo, yet I get the impression we're supposed to feel sorry for her for lacking any friends in spite of the fact that her horrible attitude does her little favor. I can already see a second Kousaka Kirino character in the making where the story begs us to feel sympathy for her, but because of borked character development it's next to impossible to do so and it brings the arc crashing down around her.

Of course I could easily be wrong, but at this point that's basically the main reason I would plan on continuing this. It could be worse (especially compared to some of the other shows I checked out that I wasn't planning on), but this shows on a bit of a slippery slope right out of the gate.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 05:26   Link #788
potchip

Let's say, there are shows that rely on fetish because they lack other aspects such as a coherent plot or inane dialogues. There's no denying this show is unashamedly fetish-laden. In fact you can find most of the cliches in modern anime here, some even double/triple loaded into one character. However the purpose of this (soon to be complete) collection of cliches is to create possibilities for character interaction rather as the ultimate end in itself.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 05:26   Link #789
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Sena, becoming like Kirino? Oh, please, no! From the little I read, my impression is that Sena abolishes all superficial relationships she has formed and tries really hard to to be herself in the club, while Kirino selfishly abuses her real friends' love to be able to maintain her facade to society.

In layman terms... Kirino is a bitch, while Sena is adorable
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 05:33   Link #790
Westlo
Lets be reality

There is no way in hell Sena will get the same reaction from the fandom as Kirino did, her relationship with characters isn't as easy to mess up as Kirino's was... (Look @ how hated Kirino is by anime viewers compared to LN/Manga). Also while her personality isn't exactly what you would call great.. it's kinda overshadowed by someone else...

Isn't Sena hands down the fan fav amongst English fandom anyway? Is that the same in Japan?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 05:39   Link #791
TheEroKing
Version 2

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Quote:
But Sena-chan.... I'm going to confess it right here:

If you do both her and Yozora would be mine for the taking

Quote:
And the other confession: I absolutely love the refreshing Forest Green color of the Girls' uniforms, now that's my color!
Woah didn't know you had a fetish for green-haired girls too. *high fives midoritron*

Quote:
The best one though:

Before the series aired, I wasn't really feeling the Rika'ness, but after seeing that butt shaking.... RIIIIKAAAA!!!!I love your butt ponytail! So someone do me a favor and use this avatar. Yeah, I won't use it.... I have priorities you know

(Yeah I actually heavily edited that )
ahahaha, trying to get some fellow member banned? though i shouldn't talk with my current sig
Old 2011-10-08, 05:53   Link #792
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I can already see a second Kousaka Kirino character in the making where the story begs us to feel sympathy for her, but because of borked character development it's next to impossible to do so and it brings the arc crashing down around her.

Of course I could easily be wrong, but at this point that's basically the main reason I would plan on continuing this.
Just wait and see, I don't want to spoil the fun.

Quote:
But Sena-chan.... I'm going to confess it right here:

Welcome aboard, comrade.
Old 2011-10-08, 06:08   Link #793
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

As a manga reader i liked this first episode, this chara design is do damn good and sexy, much better compared to the manga.

Current manga list
Claymore | Yumekui Merry | Uwa Koi | Berserk | Aku no Ana
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 06:20   Link #794
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L

Quote:

:
I shall TAKE that one. For MAXIMUM BOIN!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 07:55   Link #795
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnights View Post
As a manga reader i liked this first episode, this chara design is do damn good and sexy, much better compared to the manga.
I have to disagree with that. While the covers in the manga would push the fanservice I really never got that from the manga. They pushed it pretty damn hard for the first episode, I'm not sure I understand why the camera had to be stuck zoomed on Yozora's for a good five shots.

I'm also not feeling the artistic direction either. Itachi's art in the manga perfectly compliments the story, but in the anime they are really push the moe fluff / fetish angle hard. All the girls look like they're descendants of Erio / Meme and that bothers me.

Ah well, if they manga to not fuck around with the source material then I'm fine with stomaching all this, the personalities at play here are what make this series so enjoyable. Let's hope it stays that way.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 09:44   Link #796
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I'm also not feeling the artistic direction either. Itachi's art in the manga perfectly compliments the story, but in the anime they are really push the moe fluff / fetish angle hard. All the girls look like they're descendants of Erio / Meme and that bothers me.
Is this not because both the anime and the manga are adaptations of the light novels (the original source material), and the original character designs are by the same artist who did Erio/Meme/etc.?

Comparing the manga to the anime is like comparing one deviation to another, whereas I guess the more insightful question (if there is to be one) is which of the two more closely adapt the source. In other words, I wonder if the light novels also push this same angle you dislike (and it's clear there that the characters will look absolutely like descendants of Erio and Meme, given the artist). I guess it's still totally legitimate to like the manga more than the anime, but I'm not sure if it's totally fair to criticize the anime's direction too harshly if it's following the source more faithfully. Of course, I'm not familiar with either the novel or manga myself, so I'm just throwing that out there as an idea/concept.
Old 2011-10-08, 10:22   Link #797
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Oh wow the first episode blew all my expectations! The show looks good, music is excellent (apart from OP/ED, but whatever), and the VAs are sublime and sound completely natural, especially how Kanae Ito and Marina Inoue play off each other perfectly right from the start I'll take two cours please, just inject it right in my arms, tq.

Inoue saying Shineba.... oooh *shudders*
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 10:57   Link #798
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
I'll take two cours please, just inject it right in my arms, tq.
By the way, just for the record in case anyone's wondering, the Blu-Ray solicitations say that this show will have 12 episodes. Of course, this doesn't bar future seasons if it does well.
Old 2011-10-08, 10:59   Link #799
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I have to disagree with that. While the covers in the manga would push the fanservice I really never got that from the manga. They pushed it pretty damn hard for the first episode, I'm not sure I understand why the camera had to be stuck zoomed on Yozora's for a good five shots.

Ah well, if they manga to not fuck around with the source material then I'm fine with stomaching all this, the personalities at play here are what make this series so enjoyable. Let's hope it stays that way.
Jeeze, why all the foreplay? Isn't it simpler to just come out straight and say that you dislike Buriki's design?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 12:50   Link #800
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Is it fair to describe this show as very moe and a source of pure fetish fuel? I think the least I can say was that I kind of liked Yozora for her spunkiness and gravelly voice. Sena qualifies as a bit of a ridiculous fetish character to me though. Perfect at everything and the ultimate bishoujo, yet I get the impression we're supposed to feel sorry for her for lacking any friends in spite of the fact that her horrible attitude does her little favor. I can already see a second Kousaka Kirino character in the making where the story begs us to feel sympathy for her, but because of borked character development it's next to impossible to do so and it brings the arc crashing down around her.

Of course I could easily be wrong, but at this point that's basically the main reason I would plan on continuing this. It could be worse (especially compared to some of the other shows I checked out that I wasn't planning on), but this shows on a bit of a slippery slope right out of the gate.
It occured to me that Sena is also my less liked character atm for similar reasons. However, she does differ significantly from sister from hell that Sena isn't necessarily glorified here although she seems to have all the successful attributes of an annoying bitch. She has no friends, and a quick look at her tells you why. In Kirino's case, people obsess over her, whether if she's there or not, for some reason. Significant difference here, though depending on where the story goes, it may or may not matter. Kirino is essentially a device to glorify the otaku lifestyle, in particular, dealing with obsessed ones with no social skills, while the people here seem to be portrayed as having rather severe problems.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen