AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

Old 2011-10-18, 14:28   Link #1141
Haak
Forever Alone...

I'll be hoenst, I'm already happy with things as they are now. This show is already great thanks to the main trio (especially Sena <3).
Old 2011-10-18, 14:46   Link #1142
TakezoMusashi

I hope they introduce some of the other characters soon.
TakezoMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 15:14   Link #1143
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm just absolutely stunned that some actual effort went into the comedy and allowing for the visual side of things to make it work and that they weren't afraid to make a total laughing stock of these characters 2 episodes in for the sake of making that comedy work. There's no pretension towards keeping the characters idealized like I felt from shows like OreImo, which is a nice refresher. As a result I'll probably be sticking with this show until and if I get bored of it simply (hopefully) to see some of my least favorite character archetypes actually suffer the consequences of their incredible flaws.
Yay, you got the point of the show! But I guess we weren't really expecting this kind of effort from the writers; I myself was confident they'd ruin it soon enough.

But these kinds of things take a while to develop, so it's good that you gave it a chance, which is more than what I can say about people towards certain other series.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 15:29   Link #1144
TakezoMusashi

Consequences?
You mean now that Sena has an addiction to video games her grades will drop and she'll stop taking care of herself as well?
Or will she continue to be perfect except she has no female friends?

Whats Kodaka's incredible flaw?
He seems to be quite nice if not a bit awkward.
TakezoMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 15:31   Link #1145
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Why yes, being addicted to video games and having nobody like you can't be healthy.

May end up having too much "meat"
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-18, 15:33   Link #1146
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yay, you got the point of the show! But I guess we weren't really expecting this kind of effort from the writers; I myself was confident they'd ruin it soon enough.

But these kinds of things take a while to develop, so it's good that you gave it a chance, which is more than what I can say about people towards certain other series.
We're still purely in cautiously optimistic territory here. Also still not sure if I liked the second episode on account of coming in with the lowest expectations possible and being surprised at some actual comedy or because it was actually genuinely just funny and well done.

Still being this far out of my element and still finding a show like this watchable 2 episodes in is a really rare occurrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakezoMusashi View Post
Whats Kodaka's incredible flaw?
He seems to be quite nice if not a bit awkward.
Being a male in a Bishoujo anime.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 15:50   Link #1147
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
We're still purely in cautiously optimistic territory here. Also still not sure if I liked the second episode on account of coming in with the lowest expectations possible and being surprised at some actual comedy or because it was actually genuinely just funny and well done.

Still being this far out of my element and still finding a show like this watchable 2 episodes in is a really rare occurrence.
The fact that you said "cautiously optimistic" is a good sign. I mean, as you know, that term doesn't exist in the internet fandom. It's either the best show ever, or the worst. After 2 episodes.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-18, 16:25   Link #1148
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Just what do you need for him to be special? To me he is the normality in a sea of anormalities and potential sociopaths, almost like Kamiyama from Cromartie High.
Kamiyama may appear to be normal, but he's actually as nuts as the rest of them.

Oh and don't take my reply to your post too seriously. I was (half) joking. Kodaka doesn't have anything to do with my wish for a yuri end. I just think it'd be a funny and fitting ending to a satirical comedy show like this one - that's assuming it remains a comedy that never takes itself seriously (unlike a lot of the people here, I have no knowledge of the source material or the manga). Oh and it might also be because I love yuri. Yeah, I think this is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
Love the two main girls, but...is anyone else really looking forward to the loli's to come in? :x
You bet your ass I am. Make that loli (singular) though.
Old 2011-10-18, 18:24   Link #1149
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I can't understand the wishes for a yuri end in BokuTomo, I mean it is NOT like Kodoka is unlikeable like many harem (or many girls + one guy setup) anime leads are, and I honestly find the conflictual, to be polite, and antagonistic character chemistry between Yozora and Sena to be much more appealing.
A yuri ending here would be a novelty, but I don't see it happening.
I think it'll have some sort of open ending like Denpa Onna.
The main characters, as I see it, are Sena and Yozora, with Kodaka being just somehwat more than a sidekick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Crosses aren't as common in Catholic schools as in Protestant schools in Japan.
There aren't any Christian schools which *don't* have plenty of crosses on display. Here, we have *none whatsoever*.

Quote:
Private Christian high schools in a Japanese setting (as opposed to the international schools) are almost exclusively Catholic, since that's the only Christian branch that has the financial power to run a fully private school. An obscure sect would either not be accepted or absorbed completely into Shinto.
It's quite possible that the latter happened indeed, and that it originally was a Christian school, but then was assimilated into some other Japanese religious movement. That would also explain the complete absence of any crosses, which were then removed when it stopped being a Christian school.

Quote:
I can see two reasons for this:

1. Obviously, the author made up a saint due to lack of research
2. The author tried not to offend anyone by using an actual saint's name.
I think it's rather that the author wanted to give the school some western flair, but not too much, and intentionally didn't make it a Christian school so as not to alienate any readers.
Old 2011-10-18, 18:35   Link #1150
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
There aren't any Christian schools which *don't* have plenty of crosses on display. Here, we have *none whatsoever*.
That's Germany, and if it's the south of the Weißwurstäquator.... well, we all know how Catholic that particular region is.

Quote:
It's quite possible that the latter happened indeed, and that it originally was a Christian school, but then was assimilated into some other Japanese religious movement. That would also explain the complete absence of any crosses, which were then removed when it stopped being a Christian school.
Again, you're taking things too seriously. We're talking about a Catholic school run by Japanese in Japan. As I said, there aren't many crosses in schools over there in the first place, and when we're talking about a Japanese Catholic school run by Japanese, even if the headmaster are Catholic and such you can't expect there to be blatant numbers of crosses to be around the school.

Quote:
I think it's rather that the author wanted to give the school some western flair, but not too much, and intentionally didn't make it a Christian school so as not to alienate any readers.
Readers wouldn't give a damn if it's a Christian school or not, as long as it isn't evangelist. The setting actually makes sense because among private schools, almost only the Catholic ones are affordable enough, since the others tend to be extremely elitist (like my high school back in Kyoto). That's a big reason why we often see Catholic schools as the setting: What kind of private school is affordable for the "general" population to attend? A Catholic one.

You need to think in the mindset of the Japanese for this to be comprehensible.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 20:04   Link #1151
Nihokon

As long this show isn't going to experience a major downhill, this show will probably become my favorite for this season.
Old 2011-10-19, 03:45   Link #1152
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Call me cynical, but to be honest I thought the reason it's a Catholic school is so that they can have a loli nun as a part of the group later (as shown in the OP). Although to be fair, it's been established as a Catholic school before the nun appears, so maybe you're right as well.
Old 2011-10-19, 11:21   Link #1153
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
A yuri ending here would be a novelty, but I don't see it happening.
I think it'll have some sort of open ending like Denpa Onna.
The main characters, as I see it, are Sena and Yozora, with Kodaka being just somehwat more than a sidekick.
Would be in my dream if the usual anime audience complaint turns to be:

"The writer do not have balls to end the harem love triangle with a straight relationship, and chicken out with the yuri ending again..."

Kinda amusing to image all of the ending of harem/love-triangle anime that you ever watched, and put up a "watch if" scenario on a yuri ending....
Old 2011-10-19, 11:28   Link #1154
Okashira
Honos628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Call me cynical, but to be honest I thought the reason it's a Catholic school is so that they can have a loli nun as a part of the group later (as shown in the OP). Although to be fair, it's been established as a Catholic school before the nun appears, so maybe you're right as well.
It's pretty obvious that the school is a Catholic for the sake of having the biggest "what the heck" contrast with a mean looking delinquent. The nun is just a bonus.

Also thinking that the series is not "Kodaka centric" to some point argument and event wise is just silly. It's pretty obvious why Yozora doesn't want to get along with Sena from second one (and it becomes even more obvious later), oh well.

Let's put the yuri ending theories on hold until they properly animate "Sena's room"
Old 2011-10-19, 11:40   Link #1155
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
Let's put the yuri ending theories on hold until they properly animate "Sena's room"
I don't care for the ending theories: All I want is some nice yuri doujinshis
Old 2011-10-19, 12:20   Link #1156
KLGChaos
The Shermain

My thoughts on the series so far.... has some funny moments and an interesting premise. Sadly, I can't stand either of the two main girls. Sena seems like she may start changing and may get better as the series goes on, but Yozora is just a bitch with no redeeming qualities and I doubt I'll ever like her character. Frankly, I don't think she should have any friends with the way she treats people. I guess I have a hard time finding people who treats others like dirt funny.
Old 2011-10-19, 13:32   Link #1157
Itlandm
Porcupine

When I say Christian or Catholic school, I obviously mean the TV trope, not the actual religion as it exists here on Earth Prime. It has been firmly established in Japanese fiction that Catholic schools are havens of lesbianism, that priests and nuns tend to be underage and have superpowers or at least mad skills in weaponry and/or martial arts, as well as being very openminded on sexual matters even if personally chaste, at least technically.

It seems we shall be spared the priests with superpowers, but a severely underage nun is already in the wings, as it were. And that is about as realistic as a Japanese marrying a European, I'm sorry to say.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 13:53   Link #1158
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
And that is about as realistic as a Japanese marrying a European, I'm sorry to say.
My my, then that would be very realistic.

Yes, I was being serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozen Van Kaizer View Post
You will give in to this!

Spoiler for A little NSFW and Size:
Oh yes, about that particular doujinshi..... the title is B.F.F. Meaning? "Best Friends Forever."

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-10-19 at 15:01. Reason: Please don't double post; just edit and multi-quote instead
Old 2011-10-19, 14:55   Link #1159
Rozen Van Kaizer
Rozen Von Keiser

Too bad there hasn't been an anime with an official polygamy ending. [mod edit: removed ending spoilers for various other anime] Asking for a poly-ending is a little too greedy though and it's quite hard to create a plot that would still be believable and still keep the fans interested. Or at least not calling it the lazy way to end a love-triangle. I'm wishing for a poly or at least a yuri ending!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-10-19 at 15:02. Reason: Sorry but don't spoil the endings to other anime that people may not have seen yet
Rozen Van Kaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 18:14   Link #1160
tyciol
*Artist

So, the OVA is unlicensed then? Why would they do that? Can we also host commercial previews?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen