AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-19, 16:14   Link #21
Soliloquy
Secret Schemer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trendy Backwater
Age: 28
Haibane Renmei - Fantasy masterpiece but just a little slow.
Texhnolyze - Futuristic Setting and the battle between 3 factions
Lain - Classic and philosophical
Ghost Hound - Similar to Lain

All of them are great, and I cannot help but feel that they are all underappreciated due to the slow pace.
Soliloquy is offline  
Old 2011-05-20, 02:28   Link #22
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Judging from two previous posts, is it safe to assume you haven't even read the opening post ? How could you possibly reply to a thread what is about what anime I yet haven't seen, if you don't even check the MAL link and reply according to it.

I've seen Ghost Hount, Haibane Renmei and Gantz, and I specifically said anime that was made in 2000 or after.

And I would rather have you indeed, recommending '' everything '' and not just general theme as long as the series isn't one of the genres I don't like which I've listed, because really, it takes like 1-2 days to finish 24 episodes series.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline  
Old 2011-05-20, 02:37   Link #23
cyberbeing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Gantz isn't in your MAL, you didn't mention after 2000 before this post... I went ahead and deleted my post, since it seems unwanted.
__________________
cyberbeing is offline  
Old 2011-05-20, 04:36   Link #24
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Europe
We seem to have similar tastes, so I guess you can compare our anime lists and see for yourself what might interest you.

My personal picks would be Aria (if you like Slice-of-Life), Mai-HiME/Otome and Read or Die (OVA and TV).
Kleo Scanti is offline  
Old 2011-05-20, 05:08   Link #25
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Gantz isn't in your MAL, you didn't mention after 2000 before this post... I went ahead and deleted my post, since it seems unwanted.
It wasn't unwanted, I'm just getting tired of these people suggesting in these boards without even reading the thread. (Not talking about you). The worst examples are when the thread is called something like '' good action '' and the first post follows up with : no mecha, you'll still get mecha suggestions cause half of the people don't even read the starting post <.<

The 2000 thing was apparently mentioned in a later post, sorry bout that. But yeah generally, bad art = I cant watch it. And almost anything from before 2000 looks crap.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline  
Old 2011-05-20, 11:05   Link #26
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 23
I can understand your problem with art, hate bad art styles myself.

But I still say that GTO is a must despite being aired in 1999, story and characters are good and likble.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-05-20, 15:03   Link #27
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 33
I will third the recommendation that you watch Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. It has a lot of comedy, a little bit of action and doesn't have the mecha that the other FMP anime seasons have. Plus you'll be able to understand a few references in Lucky Star more(since you liked that).

I will also second the recommendation that you finish the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya(Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu). Lucky Star was full of Haruhi references and Haruhi is just a great slice of life/sci-fi/comedy series. Be sure to watch the Live Alive episode and Melancholy VI episode. Both are among of my favorite anime episodes ever.
AbZeroNow is offline  
Old 2011-05-21, 17:41   Link #28
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I can understand your problem with art, hate bad art styles myself.

But I still say that GTO is a must despite being aired in 1999, story and characters are good and likble.
Like I said, there can be exceptions. I will check this out since people are always recommending it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
I will third the recommendation that you watch Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. It has a lot of comedy, a little bit of action and doesn't have the mecha that the other FMP anime seasons have. Plus you'll be able to understand a few references in Lucky Star more(since you liked that).

I will also second the recommendation that you finish the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya(Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu). Lucky Star was full of Haruhi references and Haruhi is just a great slice of life/sci-fi/comedy series. Be sure to watch the Live Alive episode and Melancholy VI episode. Both are among of my favorite anime episodes ever.
Can Fumoffu actually be funny, though ? I mean, if I don't watch the other seasons the characters and their relationships are new to me ..

As for Haruhi, I've already tried it twice and no can do. The story itself could be something, but I just can't get over my hate for Haruhi herself. Just everything about her drive me nuts, and horrible seiyuu does not help. (Sorry to Aya fans)

Anyhow keep the suggestions coming. This is why I said initially that you should suggest less known titles too, since most if not all in this thread are still somewhat known, even if not mainstream. It doesn't really matter if it's less known or a mainstream one .. if I haven't seen it and based on my comments here you think I'd like it, then fire away.

Ps. To whoever suggested NGE, no can do. I don't really get all the hype for it and the '' impact '' it has brought (whatever it is), but mecha is mecha. Even if it has so much more in it. I already said earlier that I know I'm missing out on potentially good titles because of the mecha in them, such as CG.

On another note, what's so good about Aria? That's one of those that I've also avoided, but people seem to recommend it a lot. While I do like slice of life to some extent, if it's pure slice of life then I'll just find it boring. That's why I preferably favour slice of life+comedy type of titles.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline  
Old 2011-05-21, 18:13   Link #29
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 23
^My sister watched only Fumoffu from my recommendations and she loved it. You might miss some jokes but over all it is very enjoyable because a lot of characters here don't play major role in actual series so you don't have to know much about them. All you need to know is that Souske is military obessed, loves guns and everywhere sees an enemy while Chidori loves to kick him for being an idiot even though she cares for him too. That's basicly all you need to know in order to watch it.

I hated Haruhi too, both series and the charecter. It only got 3 from me, I was bored to death. However, the movie happened to be a huge suprise... it actually was good and Haruhi barely appeared in it and when she did, she was not that annoying. So out of all Haruhi I can recommend the movie, can't believe I'm actually supporting it... though you might want to watch 1st episode from 2nd season first since movie has bunch of references to it. Otherwise you might get confused. I'm glad I saw that episode by accident before giving movie a try.

What can I say about Aria Animation... yeh there is a possibility to get bored because it is such a calming series... I still didn't get around to other two seasons myself because of how calm it is but it was not a bad thing. If you are stressed and just want to relax and see something calming, it is a great choice. Characters are very likeble and despite looking really simple, you still somehow get drown in to the series. One of the characters is a great singer, really like when she sings and series do have comedy. But as I said, if you are after something more action packed and loud, then Aria won't do, it is not K-ON like. But if you are stressed and simply want to take a break from all the craziness, it is a great choice.
Series also have some fantasy elements and sometimes main heroine kind of goes back in time and we see what happened in this new world in the past.

Looks like you really hate Mecha... not fan of it myself. The only mecha series I liked were FMP and CG, those two are good despite being mecha. Otherwise none of other mecha series had interested me so far.

Hope I was able to help somehow.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-05-22, 03:32   Link #30
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Europe
Quote:
what's so good about Aria?
It's... pleasant. It's full of really likeable characters. And it, despite of what people may say, does have a plot. It's smart, there are no stupid jokes, but it makes you smile a lot, and often it makes you laugh. The colour scheme is very bright, the art is good, and the music is just fantastic. I'd say, watch a couple of episodes to decide for yourself whether you like it or not. I know I was able to convert a hardcore action fan into Aria lover, so it says at least something.

Last edited by Kleo Scanti; 2011-05-22 at 05:42.
Kleo Scanti is offline  
Old 2011-05-22, 03:56   Link #31
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
It's... pleasant. It's full of really likeable characters. And it, despite what people may say, have a plot. It's smart, there are no stupid jokes, but it makes you smile a lot, and often it makes you laugh. The colour scheme is very bright, the art is good, and the music is just fantastic. I'd say, watch a couple of episodes to decide for yourself whether you like it or not. I know I was able to convert a hardcore action fan into Aria lover, so it says at least something.
Also, the first series isn't nearly as good as the latter two. After Animation I would have called Aria "a bit above average" and wasn't much looking forward to the sequel... after Natural I considered it to be one of my favorite anime of all time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
What can I say about Aria Animation... yeh there is a possibility to get bored because it is such a calming series... I still didn't get around to other two seasons myself because of how calm it is...
Note what I wrote above, lol...
jedinat is offline  
Old 2011-05-22, 15:24   Link #32
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Okay, I get that you hate mecha. In that case I'd say just go ahead and watch the Fumuffu season of Full Metal Panic. It'll be funny. Especially if you watched a lot of American War movies. Gah... the Hamburger Hill parody makes me crack up just thinking about it. But even if you haven't seen those movies it will still be funny.

I suggested a lot of others too that did completely fit your requirements, have you already seen them all? They weren't on your list.

Another not on your list is Ah My Goddess. It's more of a laid back romance, but I think could be enjoyable.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline  
Old 2011-05-22, 15:48   Link #33
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Looking over you list I'd suggest:

Crest of the Stars because you like several shonen shows, and Spice and Wolf.

Maison Ikkoku Because you liked Toradora, Clannad and Zero no Tsukaima

Cross Game
Because you like Clannad and Ano Hana.

Read or Die because you like shonen action

Full Metal Panic
because you like Toradora and Gintama. Yes, I know you said no mecha, but FMP is actually pretty light on the mecha. If you really hate the mecha you could always just watch the Fumuffu season (2nd season) which has no mecha. You won't know as much about the characters, but it will still be hilarious. Trust me, you'll like it.

The first Fumuffu episode:

Subs
Dub (the dub for FMP is actually pretty good.)

Ranma 1/2 comedy

Hayate the Combat Butler comedy

Neon Genesis Evangelion yes, yes, I know you said no mecha. But if there is one mecha you ought to watch it's this one. It's impacted anime so much, it extends well beyond the mecha genre. I'm not a big mecha fan myself, but this one was worth watching.

I also think you ought to consider finishing The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Crest of the Stars : Bad art, if Anidb is to be trusted. Just whoa at those deformed faces.

Cross Game
: Even if not old, I don't like the art.

Maison Ikkoku
: Way too old. Obviously comes with bad art.

Read or Die
: I have it, but haven't gotten around to watching it.

Ranma 1/2 : Too old + bad art.

Hayate
: Not my type of comedy. The narrator is annoying, and the talking tiger or whatever was the final touch => dropped.

Ah my Goddess is also too old, with bad art. And I've read some of the manga .. don't like it.

There may be other suggestions in the thread that I haven't commented on but doesn't mean I haven't dl'ed them and/or took note of them. But like I said, I need loads of stuff to watch, so keep them coming. Anyway it seems you completely missed the part of my post somewhere where I said anime made after 2000 .. There may be exceptions but the art would have to be decent. When I speak of art, I generally mean character designs.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline  
Old 2011-05-22, 16:11   Link #34
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Whoa wait a minute. I get that you don't like old animation style (although it'd be better to say that instead of just saying "bad art" because there are plenty of old style animations that have good art).

But Ah My Goddess? That was one of the major attractions of Ah My Goddess was that it opened up the new modern anime art style. Clannad for example is a derivative of the Ah My Goddess art style.

This is official art from the OVA that came out in 1993.

The 1998 TV series has slightly lower production styles (still pretty high for a TV series), but the art if anything shifted even more towards the modern style. (Less rounded faces).

See here and here

Okay if you don't like the story, but saying it has bad art is first of all false. Ah My Goddess is famous for it's amazing art. And second, even if by "bad art" you mean an animation style you don't like, that's still confusing since it's the same style as Clannad.

Crest of the Stars as well (released in 2000) has the same animation style. Deformed faces? How are they any more deformed then Clannad?

Madoka Magica
, now that had some deformed faces. (Understand, I like Madoka Magica, but the art was not what I'd call "good", certainly not the modern style of Clanned, or even Haruhi.)

I mean, Maison Ikkoku has some of the best art and animation from it's era, including fantastic use of light and shadow, but I can understand that someone might not like the animation style, and therefor call it "bad art".

But this... you don't seem to care about animation style. To you old = bad, even if it uses the animation style you evidently like. How does that logically follow?

Okay. Now you say you don't like the manga for Ah My goddess, that's fine. That's a good reason not to watch the show. But I'm sorry I couldn't let this "bad art" accusation go by without responding.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline  
Old 2011-05-23, 21:46   Link #35
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
So what you're basically saying that those animes actually have good art? Even if to my eye it looks bad I'm not allowed to claim they have bad art? What on earth is that based on. To what stone is set some rules as to what is considered good and bad art? And I already said, when I speak of bad art I mean the character designs. Take your favourite for example .. Cross Game is new and all that but the character designs just look bad to me .. Surely I'm entitled to my own opinion?

What do you even mean with '' animation style ''? How exactly does Ah my Goddess look like Clannad? I don't really get this '' animation style '' you're talking about because what catches my eye is character designs and scenery. And I liked both in Clannad. I don't know about scenery but I don't see appealing character designs in Ah my Goddess.

And what are you on about with Clannad looking like Crest of the Stars? In what way? In what way are the faces as deformed in Clannad as they are in Crest of the Stars? To begin with, I don't think the faces in Clannad are deformed at all. Big eyes sure but that's nothing new with anime. Just look at these two pictures, and the girl on Crest ... Sure looks DEFORMED to me. In fact, they look so deformed to me that the girl on left looks kinda creepy ..

Spoiler for pic:


I don't really care if the anime has '' best animation for the era it came from '' because it still looks bad to me if I compare it to the new anime. Well what do you expect? I suppose you started anime from much older series, but me, I started with Lucky Star.

Ugh. Enough with the rant.

Just finished watching Sasameki Koto, and Scrapped Princess. I loved both, only the '' ending '', if you can call it that in Sasameki left me quite disappointed. I wanted to see some kind of conclusion with the girls . Some spoilers I read on Wiki never happened either .. I wonder if I should turn to scanlations or be hopeful of 2nd season ..

Scrapped Princess .. Well, I guess it was your typical shonen in some ways but still different in some other ways from others I've seen. Likeable characters, some comedy, battles, superpowers and good OST made it quite enjoyable. I marathoned these both series in two days. (9 episodes of SP at day 1, then 15 on day 2 + 13 of Sasameki).

Aaand with that said .. I need more suggestions. I'm still watching some of the others that were suggested but none of them has piqued huge interest in me .. yet. While I'm at it .. It seems that I can't really get interested much in series with only mature or adult people in it. Take Monster for example .. People say it's good and that I should like it since I like the Death Note but the cast is .. well, there's no one I can relate to. I like watching anime about people around my age or younger.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline  
Old 2011-05-24, 00:23   Link #36
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
^It seems to me that, objectively speaking, the Kanon girls are more deformed than the Crest of the Stars characters, lol. Noses at the base of their eyes... eyes large even for anime... tiny mouths...

Anyways, Crest of the Stars' art looks better in the actual anime than it appears in that image. Offtopic, but I think the only anime I ever dropped largely because of the art was the original Kanon, lol...
jedinat is offline  
Old 2011-05-24, 06:01   Link #37
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
Quote:
Take Monster for example .. People say it's good and that I should like it since I like the Death Note but the cast is .. well, there's no one I can relate to. I like watching anime about people around my age or younger.
Well, Johann was relatively young, and imo the plot is more focused on him rather than Dr. Tenma...anyways, back on topic, I'll add Tenjou Tenge to my recommendations, but only after thinking about it. Fighting anime in a school setting, but being written by OG!, fanservice is inevitable (not sure as to the level of ecchi you can tolerate)...still, this guy's art is top class, and the animation was very well done, with a pleasing plot to follow.
__________________
Kafriel is offline  
Old 2011-05-24, 08:42   Link #38
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 23
Nina and Johan are around 20 so they are quiet young, they study at University (talking about Monster). Later story starts to concentrate more on them than on Dr. Tenma. I am not big fan of Tenma either.

You sure are picky... so basicly you just want a school setting anime? Because if to be truthful, most of anime characters act far more mature than their age allows them to.

Ok, let's try to recommend shows that I didn't like much, maybe they'll be good for your taste:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - shounen series like Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tal and etc. It has school setting environment with powers and action. However, actual story starts only at like episode 20, most of the stuff before could be called useless fillers which can be ignored. But it is better to watch first like 10 episodes to get to know characters such as Lambo, I-Pin, Hibari, Hayato and Bianci as well as Yamamoto and Ryuhei together with Kyouko and Haru. Just so you would know who the hell they are.

Shugo Chara - magical girl setting series with school environment

First Squad: The Moment of Truth - takes action in Russia during 2nd world war if I don't mistake. It is just one episode long and main character is young.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! - a school romance comedy.

Pandora Hearts

Romeo x Juliet - I don't think this needs explanation, the only thing you need to know is that anime has interrupted this story differently than the original play

Suzuka - school romance and drama

Some of the shows were actually good in my opinion but I don't consider them something out standing. But maybe some of them will catch your attention.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-05-24, 22:56   Link #39
Haladflire65
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Normandy SR-2
Age: 19
Kuroshitsuji, perhaps? Nice gothic art, decent story and very interesting characters. Although it does have a reputation of being yaoi bait... I really didn't see it until I heard the fangirls scream (but hey... people pair up all sorts of guys together for no good reason nowadays...)

I see you liked DRRR!!, why not try Baccano!, based on the light novel by the same author? I think I liked the latter better, but the story's even more convoluted than DRRR. Loved how everything tied together at the end.

Darker than Black? It's more Seinen than Shounen, but it's one of my favourite shows. Nice action, soundtrack and epic protagonist. It might not suit your tastes though, some people find the plot too disconnected and the ending unsatisfying, I think.

I've only seen one episode of it so far, but Dennou Coil's very highly rated and seems like great care was taken in its development. Just throwing it out there for you in case you want to check it out too
__________________
Haladflire65 is offline  
Old 2011-05-25, 00:48   Link #40
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
I might have missed them on your MAL list.

(1) Sci-fi anime, but with no mecha.

Dennou Coil
Quote:
Eleven years after the introduction of Internet-connected, augmented-reality spectacles and visors, Yuko Okonogi moves with her family to Daikoku City, the technological centre of the emerging half-virtual world. Yuko joins her grandmother's "investigation agency", comprising children equipped with virtual tools and powerful talisman-like metatags. She quickly crosses paths with Yuko Amasawa, an expert hacker who seeks to "unlock" a mysterious computer virus to gain access to a corrupted "space".
Dennou Coil was praised by many in the anime industry and has gone on to win a few awards since it aired in 2007. It is widely seen as the "spiritual successor" to Serial Experiments Lain from the 1990s.

Time of Eve (six-part ONA, later edited into feature-length movie)
Quote:
In the not too distant future, androids have come into common usage. Taking the androids for granted, humans treat them like everyday tools. Some, however, empathise with androids because of their human-like appearance, leading to a perceived social problem as people grow more attached to machines than real people. High-school student Rikuo one day discovers that Sammy, his subservient home android, has been acting strangely and finds a strange phrase recorded in her activity log, asking if he's enjoying the time of Eve, a clue that leads him eventually to a secret cafe where androids and humans mix freely without prejudice.
If Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics were incorporated into an anime series, you'd get Time of Eve.

(2) Historical drama
House of Five Leaves
Quote:
Akitsu Masanosuke is a timid ronin on his way to Edo from the countryside when he accidentally encounters a playboy named Yaichi, who asks him to be his bodyguard. But it turns out that Yaichi is actually the leader of a group of bandits called the "Five Leaves", and he hopes that Masanosuke will join them. Masanosuke is reluctant at first, but as he grows closer to his eccentric new companions, he learns to relate to them and grow as a person.

(3) Literary adaptation
Aoi Bungaku (Blue Literature)
Quote:
An animated adaptation of six classical Japanese literature pieces, including No Longer Human (Ningen Shikaku) and Run, Melos (Hashire, Melos) by Osamu Dazai, Kokoro by Natsume Souseki, Hell Screen (Jigoku Hen) and The Spider's Thread (Kumo no Ito) by Ryunosuke Akutagawa and In the Forest, Under Cherries in Full Bloom (Sakura no Mori no Mankai no Shita) by Ango Sakaguchi.
As described, a series of six stories based on modern literature classics in Japan. A great of artistic licence was taken with every story, sometimes giving a fresh and innovative take on familiar tales, and on other occasions working not as effectively. All in all, though, an interesting project targeted at mature audiences.

(4) And, if you're in a whimsical mood, and are up for experimental art style, try:
Windy Tales
Quote:
A collection of episodes in the lives of people with the power to control the wind.
TinyRedLeaf is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.