AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 25 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 32.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 22.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-21, 10:41   Link #101
Sebasu
~
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Did you guys believed Poppo when he said he became a level 5 shaman in Vietnam? I'm starting to have crazy doubts on his character.
__________________
Sebasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:44   Link #102
TakezoMusashi
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Prediction: Menma's wish was for all the Super Peace Busters to remain together forever. The series will end with Jintan, Anaru, Poppo, Yukiatsu, and Tsuruko turning into ghosts so that they can be with Menma forever in the afterlife. I think that would be a touching ending...
Sound kinda screwed up to me.
TakezoMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:46   Link #103
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasu View Post
Did you guys believed Poppo when he said he became a level 5 shaman in Vietnam? I'm starting to have crazy doubts on his character.
I was wondering about that myself. Either Poppo is just being his usual laidback self, or he really hasn't been around the world...honestly, considering how hard it is to actually travel (even when you are willing to use low grade travel, like Fishermen's boats, and out of the way routes, etc), I wouldn't be surprised if Poppo has been lying this entire time...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:49   Link #104
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I don't think a mass suicide would be a nice ending.
Oh, I don't mean anything that depressing. I just meant that they all transform from normal human beings into ghosts through sheer force of will. That they did something so amazing through their simple willpower would be a true testament to the power of friendship, and I think it would make for a very touching ending.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:54   Link #105
TakezoMusashi
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I was wondering about that myself. Either Poppo is just being his usual laidback self, or he really hasn't been around the world...honestly, considering how hard it is to actually travel (even when you are willing to use low grade travel, like Fishermen's boats, and out of the way routes, etc), I wouldn't be surprised if Poppo has been lying this entire time...
I think he is lying. He doesn't look like someone with enough money to travel.
Plus he seems to live in that shed.
And, lv.5 shaman, really? Sounds like something out of an RPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Oh, I don't mean anything that depressing. I just meant that they all transform from normal human beings into ghosts through sheer force of will. That they did something so amazing through their simple willpower would be a true testament to the power of friendship, and I think it would make for a very touching ending.
Why not use that sheer force of will to bring Menma back to life. That sounds easier than everyone turning into ghosts.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-21 at 10:55. Reason: double post...
TakezoMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:58   Link #106
recover
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Oh, I don't mean anything that depressing. I just meant that they all transform from normal human beings into ghosts through sheer force of will. That they did something so amazing through their simple willpower would be a true testament to the power of friendship, and I think it would make for a very touching ending.
interesting,

i think this series would be great if we had an ending that was not cliche/normal

something where they all "move on" from the past and then menma disappears is simply...too boring. theres alot of potential in this series, and i want to have my mind=blown at the end.

+1 for a school days ending..................
__________________
recover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 11:07   Link #107
TakezoMusashi
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
interesting,

i think this series would be great if we had an ending that was not cliche/normal

something where they all "move on" from the past and then menma disappears is simply...too boring. theres alot of potential in this series, and i want to have my mind=blown at the end.

+1 for a school days ending..................
I don't think I could handle another one of those.

If you really think about it, it would be really selfish for them to do that and leave everyone else in their lives behind... they should take the whole town with them.
TakezoMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 11:30   Link #108
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
You know, I had a different kind of eerie thought last night. It was centered around three parts of episode 6.

The first was Jintan shouting at Menma to be more angry and stick up for herself instead of taking everything upon herself. Menma also seems concerned with not hurting her mother.

The second was the fact that Menma apparently called everyone together at the clubhouse on the day she died to ask their advice about something.

The third was the scene where Menma's mother says that Menma's father had cleaned up the Menma's room and told the former not to dwell on Menma's death to much. (Wasn't it also mentioned that Menma's father was also "scary"?)

With all these in mind I began to wonder if, given Menma's personality, the catalyst for her calling everyone together was somehow related to something her father either did (and she saw him doing it) or something her father did to her (read "abusively" here) and she did not know how to deal with it. She did not want to somehow hurt her mother with the information thereof.

I sure hope I am wrong ... the story is already sad enough. But I would not be surprised if they took such an angle.

But if that were the case I wonder what "fulfilling Menma's wish" would be? It's possible that such an event being uncovered would not be what Menma's wish actually was, but rater the necessary event in the story that leads to Menma's wish being fulfilled.

Hmm....

Just ponderings at the moment - thinking out loud.
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 11:40   Link #109
TakezoMusashi
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
You know, I had a different kind of eerie thought last night. It was centered around three parts of episode 6.

The first was Jintan shouting at Menma to be more angry and stick up for herself instead of taking everything upon herself. Menma also seems concerned with not hurting her mother.

The second was the fact that Menma apparently called everyone together at the clubhouse on the day she died to ask their advice about something.

The third was the scene where Menma's mother says that Menma's father had cleaned up the Menma's room and told the former not to dwell on Menma's death to much. (Wasn't it also mentioned that Menma's father was also "scary"?)

With all these in mind I began to wonder if, given Menma's personality, the catalyst for her calling everyone together was somehow related to something her father either did (and she saw him doing it) or something her father did to her (read "abusively" here) and she did not know how to deal with it. She did not want to somehow hurt her mother with the information thereof.

I sure hope I am wrong ... the story is already sad enough. But I would not be surprised if they took such an angle.

But if that were the case I wonder what "fulfilling Menma's wish" would be? It's possible that such an event being uncovered would not be what Menma's wish actually was, but rater the necessary event in the story that leads to Menma's wish being fulfilled.

Hmm....

Just ponderings at the moment - thinking out loud.
The show has enough depressing elements without bringing abuse into the equation.
I hope it doesn't go in that direction.
Menma's to sweet to have something so horrible happen to her like that and then die young.
TakezoMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:05   Link #110
recover
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
pardon the term, but i think it would be way too "fruity" or "cheesy" if they went in a direction that wasnt dark/thematic.

The series can really go in quite a few directions. I liked Flower's analysis, but it seemed to be possibly a "stretch" given how the ghost-Menma acts. Im almost sure that she would not be as happy-go-lucky if she was a victim of household abuse.

But I wont lie, I think the series would be much better if we were to see something along those lines...

AnoHana is unique in a way, and it would be a shame to see it end in a predictable or cheesy manner.
__________________
recover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:10   Link #111
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
....The series can really go in quite a few directions. I liked Flower's analysis, but it seemed to be possibly a "stretch" given how the ghost-Menma acts. I'm almost sure that she would not be as happy-go-lucky if she was a victim of household abuse....
I had thought so at first as well, but then I recalled that at the moment Menma seems to have forgotten a few things. Also, sometimes it happens that children who have been traumatized by abuse often "forget" what happened as well....

To be sure it is not an "air tight" possibility, just one that, to my mind, seems a very likely one.

I agree with you that it is likely that the series may take a darker turn story wise, though....
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:13   Link #112
Triple_R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
pardon the term, but i think it would be way too "fruity" or "cheesy" if they went in a direction that wasnt dark/thematic.

The series can really go in quite a few directions. I liked Flower's analysis, but it seemed to be possibly a "stretch" given how the ghost-Menma acts.
Actually, given how ghost-Menma acts, Flower's analysis would seem fitting to me. If Flower is correct, then ghost-Menma's crying instantly becomes completely justifiable to even me. You could then say that she's still bearing the psychological scars of household abuse, even if such abuse is no longer held in her memory.

One haunting idea I just now had is that Jinta calling Menma "ugly" in a tsundere moment for him might have had a harsher impact than he thinks, because perhaps Menma's own father made insults like that too her...

Part of me wouldn't want this anime to get this dark, but on the other hand, it would change how I view Menma's character, and probably in a positive way. It would also add greater depth to the drama in this anime, imo.

So, yeah, overall I kind of want Flower to be right in his speculations.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:17   Link #113
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
....One haunting idea I just now had is that Jinta calling Menma "ugly" in a tsundere moment for him might have had a harsher impact than he thinks, because perhaps Menma's own father made insults like that too her....
I had thought the same things - might also explain why Menma looked a little "shellshocked" when he said it.

Of course, this could be my conveniently interpreting things to suite my theory....
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:18   Link #114
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
All of this speculation is really putting me (uncomfortably) in mind of TM8. I'm not going to reopen old wounds by debating the turn that series took, but I think it's fair to say that the choices it made completely changed the type of series it was, right smack in the middle of its run. I liked the type of series it was for the first half, and I think it was plenty dramatic without making the choices it made. Similarly, while all of these theories have some intrigue in their own right, I would hate to see this show follow that path. I hope that the drama here is about everyone emotionally dealing with Menma's death, and with growing up. That's plenty of drama for me - I don't need to see it become theatrical and melodramatic.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:25   Link #115
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
....Similarly, while all of these theories have some intrigue in their own right, I would hate to see this show follow that path. I hope that the drama here is about everyone emotionally dealing with Menma's death, and with growing up. That's plenty of drama for me - I don't need to see it become theatrical and melodramatic.
Hmm ... I can see the "temptation" to "exploit" such a story plot, focusing on Menma's abuse (all speculation atm, of course) and having it overshadow the other elements of the story. But if I am correct I am hopeful that the story writers will be able to put it in its proper balance and place. At least I hope so.

I personally do not mind such drama, but I must admit that the main thing attracting me to the series atm is the emotional growth of all the characters in dealing with the sadness and pain they have encountered in life at a young age.

I say for now lets give the story writers the benefit of the doubt if they do take that route. They may be able to pull it off! But it does, admittedly, seem to me that it would be a tricky thing to do....
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:29   Link #116
TakezoMusashi
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Menma's wish is one of the primary plot threads amongst several others, and were already half-way through the show, right?
I don't think we need a new one that doesn't really seem to follow the themes already presented.
TakezoMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:34   Link #117
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
I'm cold towards this theory, first because as Enzo said I don't want a TM8 again, second I honestly don't see the anime going that deep and that dark with more than half series done. We don't even know how precisely Menma died. Anyway, I think we may have a chance to verify the truthfulness of this theory right in next episode, assuming they'll actually get to read Menma's diary.
One thing though, if such dark secrets could be hidden in that diary, why keep it, and furthermore why giving it out to "strangers" ?
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:37   Link #118
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I had thought the same things - might also explain why Menma looked a little "shellshocked" when he said it.

Of course, this could be my conveniently interpreting things to suite my theory....
Admittedly, she immediately started chasing after him when he left. So, if she did gather the friends together to say she was abused, then Jintan's words should have driven her away, not make her seek him out further (not only running after him, but essentially coming back from the dead for him as well). So it seems unlikely that emotional abuse was going on...(physical abuse is another matter, but since physical abuse is often accompanied by emotional abuse (not vice versa), I expect Menma would have reacted far more negatively to Jintan's words if she was actually being abused).

That being said, I also wouldn't mind a little more drama to her death (though, still having the bad memories of Fractale which had the same time slot just 7 weeks ago, I am reluctant to go the abuse/possible rape/suicide route). I expect it would be more acceptable for all of us to have a ghost appear due to a more tragic event (she seems to have simply fallen in to a lake and died; tragic sure, but not exactly worth coming back from the dead over), rather than a ghost seemingly randomly appearing to help it's friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
One thing though, if such dark secrets could be hidden in that diary, why keep it, and furthermore why giving it out to "strangers" ?
To act briefly as a devil's advocate, the father boxed up the room, so it is possible that the mother simply did not know if anything traumatic was in the diary. Additionally, since the mother was the one who gave them the diary (sorry to knit-pick, but the scene should have been shown), it can still be said that the father would not want the diary to be shown to anyone...admittedly, if he was responsible, while clearing out the room, he should have simply burned any evidence...

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-21 at 12:49.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:49   Link #119
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Admittedly, she immediately started chasing after him when he left. So, if she did gather the friends together to say she was abused, then Jintan's words should have driven her away, not make her seek him out further (not only running after him, but essentially coming back from the dead for him as well). So it seems unlikely that emotional abuse was going on...(physical abuse is another matter, but since physical abuse is often accompanied by emotional abuse (not vice versa), I expect Menma would have reacted far more negatively to Jintan's words if she was actually being abused).
Hmm ... I see what you mean - but given Menma's love for Jintan as well her her tendency to take everything on herself I think running after Jintan would not be too out of place.

Again though - this could be me conveniently arranging the "facts" to fit the theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, I also wouldn't mind a little more drama to her death (though, still having the bad memories of Fractale which had the same time slot just 7 weeks ago, I am reluctant to go the abuse/possible rape route). I expect it would be more acceptable for all of us to have a ghost appear due to a more tragic event (she's seems to have simply fallen in to a lake and died; tragic sure, but not exactly worth coming back from the dead over), rather than a ghost seemingly randomly appearing to help it's friends.
Uh oh, another person who was disappointed with Fractale. I seem to find more and more as time goes on! I was one of those who actually enjoyed Fractale....

But back on topic I also would not mind a little more intense turn in the story.

****

Incidentally, I am sorry for weighing in so fast and often at this point in the thread on this point - I am not trying to "evangelize" or be pushy with it; there are some parts to me that hopes my guess is not true! (Mostly bound up with feeling sorry for the Menma.)
__________________

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-21 at 12:51. Reason: double post...
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 13:09   Link #120
Triple_R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Part of the reason why I think Flower might be on to something here is that this anime has already had something of an attempted rape scene, which could be foreshadowing that similar conflicts/issues will soon be delved into.

Household abuse also strikes me as the sort of darker and/or sophisticated issue that Okada likes to deal with. The anime shows that Okada has wrote for tend to deal with somewhat dark, but nonetheless realistic/societal, issues.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.