AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-21, 00:04   Link #1
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Something to keep me going

I've been sick at home for quite awhile now, and I'm losing faith in all forms of entertainment I have available to me. I'm looking for an anime that will keep me interested for hours on end. Engaging plots and detailed settings are key. I have no fickleness for genre at this point, so I'm open to anything, really. Just no yaoi.

If I can narrow some things down however, I prefer non-realistic settings (fantasy, sci-fi) and newer styles of anime artistry. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 2011-05-21, 00:40   Link #2
Forsaken-Waffle
That Goon Day!!

Send a message via MSN to Forsaken-Waffle Send a message via Yahoo to Forsaken-Waffle
Try GTO (Great teacher Onizuki) Spelled wrong xD
Old 2011-05-21, 01:01   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

fantasy:
Juuni Kokki
Princess Tutu
Haibane Renmei
Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu

sci-fi:
Eve no Jikan Gekijouban
Seikai no Monshou
Gundam SEED
Uchuu no Stellvia
Old 2011-05-21, 01:42   Link #4
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well it's neither fantasy or sci-fi but Monster is a 74 episode series, that is very engaging and detailed.
Old 2011-05-21, 01:43   Link #5
Akashin

While I'm not quite sure it's the kind of series that could/should be watched simply to occupy time, Hell Girl is definitely not lacking in content. Three seasons, and (as far as I'm concerned) it doesn't really lag too much, as a series of its length may.

That aside I also recommend Übel Blatt, despite it being a manga with no adaptation plans that I am aware of. Unless you have a serious aversion to manga I highly suggest reading it; I may have appreciated it more since I haven't read/watched Berserk (which it is frequently compared to), but it has an immensely interesting story and fun characters. Plus, what's not to love about a scarred, anti-hero incarnation of Link?
Old 2011-05-21, 02:23   Link #6
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Haruhi Suzumiya
Madoka Magica
Evangelion
Gurren Lagann (idealistic as it can be)
Cardfight Vanguard. Oh wait I'm kidding.... Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka.
The World God Only Knows
Tsubasa Chronicles (CLAMP version of Lucky Star but remove slice-of-life and replace with fantasy)

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
Old 2011-05-21, 18:35   Link #7
kitten320

Well here is a small list of animes that I enjoyed and found entertaining:
1) Mai HiME - if you have ever seen Fate/Stay Night and liked it, this eries would be a good choice since they are kind of similar. Involve girls with super powers.
2) Ghost Hunt - great detective series with ghosts, kept me entertained until the end. Series have sveral cases/small arcs. Each about 2-4 episodes long. My favorite arcs are second and the one before last.
3) Ga-Rei Zero - action packed series with some drama, 1st episode got a positive WTF from me.
4) Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - that's a must even though it is based in realistic setting. Series are about assasins who got brainwashed before becoming one. Series are about their current and past life. Have 2 small time skips. Characters are great too.
5) Shiki - despite knowing who is the culprit behind all the deaths in the village, series still drow you in and make you wonder "so what's next? What are you guys going to do? How will you come to the solution?", also involves some moral issues.
6) GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) - great series about an aweasome (perverted) teacher who helps teenagers to get over their problems in a very unique way. Also real life.
7) Baccano! - best series about simple train robbery which was turned into something aweasome. 1st episode looks meh but then it starts to get better.
8) Claymore - found series very entertaining, with lots of action and some unique characters.
9) Fairy Tail - despite being normal shounen series like Naruto, Bleach and etc, something keeps me entertained in them.
10) Monster - real life setting but good detective series with some unique characters and story. Finished series 2 days ago myself, each episode tends to have cliffhanger.
11) Madoka Magica - cutely series were turned into dark themed series with tragedy and death.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
are nice comedy series.
Old 2011-05-22, 17:53   Link #8
Niji

Fantasy
Shounen Onmyouji
Seirei no Moribito
Kekkaishi
Nurarihyon
Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi
Guin Saga
Utawarerumono

SciFi
Toward the Terra
Eureka Seven
Planetes
Legend of Galactic Heroes (old one, but good, despite older graphs)
Closed Thread