AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you buy anime/manga?
Yes, I buy it. 61 79.22%
No, I just download it. 12 15.58%
Kind of, I pay for a subscription service (Crunchyroll) 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-06-05, 14:00   Link #41
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Maison Ikkoku I understand lacks a full dub for all four seasons, so I'm hesitant to shell out the money.
Maison Ikkoku actually got a dub for all 96 episodes. Some of the voice actors changed though when Viz started redubbing. I'm actually somewhat amazed that Viz dubbed the entire thing considering what kind of show it is and its age. The DVD boxes are kind of hard to find now. I don't understand why Viz doesn't have MI streaming somewhere.

Back to the OP: I buy anime and manga, although not nearly as much as I used to. Back in the 90s when I first started working a "real" job making good money, I spent anywhere from $3-5k a year on goods (mostly laserdisc and manga, then later DVDs). Nowadays it's rare that I break $400-500 a year on anime due to both drastically lower prices on goods and less interest in the anime/manga being produced now.

It's also harder to get that enthused about buying DVDs now that many fansubs are high def. Back in the VHS days, the difference between an n-th generation fansub tape and a laserdisc or DVD was massive, but now many fansubs are far higher quality than DVD (only talking about visual quality here, not translations/subs). Nice anti-aliased fonts versus the horribly jaggy subs on DVDs is another fansub advantage. English dubs used to be nice bonus for DVDs, but those got very scarce the last couple of years (except from Funimation). I am glad that more Blu-rays are being released though, since I consider those a nice upgrade from fansubs.

I don't buy much manga anymore. The editing and English writing on too many have declined to scanlation level with terribly stilted English. Manga is also harder for me to store and carry when I move (I already have a vast collection of other types of books, and storing it is a major PITA).

As for how "expensive" DVDs are: outside of R2 discs, anime is absurdly cheap. That you can get two-cour shows on R1 DVD for about $20 (or less) boggles my mind. I am going to go into old fart mode here for a minute, but when I started buying anime, a single episode on VHS tape could cost up to $40. And that was twenty years ago, when the dollar was worth a hell of lot more than now. Laserdiscs used to run $40-60, again for one or two episodes. When DVD came out, the standard price was $30-35 for two to four episodes. Heck, I remember one of the first "big" DVD boxsets to come out was Fushigi Yugi, and it cost $200 for half of the series (only 26 episodes). Now you can get a 26 episode series for literally a tenth of that price!

Another example: you can buy the Yawara! DVD boxset (40 episodes) from Animeigo or Rightstuf for $40. Forty bucks! The list price was $135 originally. Now compare that to the old Urusei Yatsura TV LD box (40 episodes) and Kimagure Orange Road TV LD boxes (48 episodes) that Animeigo released back in the 90s. My memory is a little fuzzy on the exact price (because Animeigo did a sliding price scale thing where the more orders they got the cheaper the boxes were), but IIRC those boxes were around $400. You can't get anywhere near those prices now except for some of those Aniplex Blu-ray releases (Garden of Sinners comes to mind, and that was really an import not a domestic release).

To answer the rest of the OP's questions: I do not blind buy anymore. I'll watch a fansub, and if I like a show enough I'll buy it. I used to blind buy before digital fansubs, and I got burned too many times. After buying I do watch them of course. I'm not one of those crazy collectors that keeps everything in shrinkwrap. However, I recently built a NAS box and have been in the process of ripping my entire collection to hard disk. It is simply too convenient to be able to access everything from anywhere in my house without digging out the discs.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 14:06   Link #42
Bri

In response to the OP:

these days I import around 4 to 6 R2 series a year (BR only, haven't bought a DVD since 2009) and a few movies/OVA.

Fansubs I consider to be essential for preview purposes. I don't see an issue with watching material that was meant to be a form of commercial on Japanese TV, but I draw the line at pirated material from DVD/BR rips. As a result I tend to buy movies unseen.

My interest is in animation so I end up buying far more artbooks than manga. If I look at what I spend a year, then the biggest expenditure by far is model- and garagekits. The price of being a mecha fan.

Last edited by Bri; 2011-06-08 at 14:44.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 15:25   Link #43
Vegard Aune

Yes, I do indeed buy the official releases, as much as I can. Which admittedly isn't much, as I'm but a high-school student without a job, but eh.

(For the record, up till the end of last year, I would import maybe 5 or 6 DVD-sets a month, from the US, along with the occasinal CD. Since January, this number has dropped to like, 1 or 2 since I started importing The World God Only Knows from Japan, and that's kind of consuming 90% of my total budget.)
Old 2011-06-08, 05:48   Link #44
wontaek

I buy them for my son.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-08, 06:08   Link #45
cyth
ふひひ

For me it was and always has been a matter of finances. I just don't have any money to spare ATM so I can't support my beloved shows, but did so in the past. I'm content that Japan has made more shows akin to the ones I supported in the past.
Old 2011-06-09, 01:00   Link #46
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
There should be "buy only manga" in the poll.
I've bought manga, but DVD's are too expensive for my budget.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 01:08   Link #47
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
There should be "buy only manga" in the poll.
I've bought manga, but DVD's are too expensive for my budget.
That's the case with me, although I've extended to buying light novels as well these days.
Old 2011-06-09, 05:56   Link #48
gsilver

Manga is quite a bit more expensive than DVDs.

Look at Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

27 books @ $10 ea : $270
5 dvd sets @ $50 ea : $250

That's retail prices only, but still cheaper in the anime's favor.

When you shop around, the prices become: (won't say where as that may be anti-TOS, and the manga was a sale that has already ended)
27 books @ $6 ea : $162
5 DVD sets: set of 1-2, 3-4 @ $23 ea, volume 5 @ $25 : $71

In this case, the manga is well over twice as much.

I know that the prices are way in the other direction for Japanese releases, but for English releases, anime does tend to be cheaper.
Old 2011-06-09, 06:18   Link #49
cyth
ふひひ

You could also look at it in terms of entertainment time. One DVD holds 4 episodes on average, that's almost 2 hours of entertainment, while reading a manga volume depends heavily on what kind of reading habits you have.

So you could be a fast reader and burn through one volume in 30 minutes, meaning those 27 books make a total of 13,5 hours of entertainment, while the 5 DVD sets make a total of 26 hours of entertainment. Or you could be a slow reader, take an hour for one volume, and get roughly the same time out of the experience as you would with watching the DVDs.

Relate that to the terms of price, FMA:B's prices still make a better case for the anime.
Old 2011-06-09, 07:16   Link #50
brocko

It also depends on the length of said series too which one ends up being more expensive.

Even if there are more installments, each individual manga volume is cheaper when compared directly with an anime volume, hence why many people purchase it over anime. There's also the fact that manga is a more convenient form of entertainment as well.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 07:56   Link #51
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Not really. I download all of my anime. The main problem is though that I don't have money to buy anime with. If I had a job I'd probably buy the BD boxes of the anime I really like, but I would still continue to watch fansubs and would only buy for collection purposes.

Manga I do buy, but that too rarely. I don't read manga so much and again, I don't have very much money to spare.
Old 2011-06-09, 08:27   Link #52
gsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
You could also look at it in terms of entertainment time. One DVD holds 4 episodes on average, that's almost 2 hours of entertainment, while reading a manga volume depends heavily on what kind of reading habits you have.
Maybe it's the "getting older" thing, but I've increasingly viewed the time it takes to consume media as a cost associated with it. Something that delivers the same entertainment value (ie, the same story) in half the time (manga vs anime), is a good thing... but the anime easily wins from a dollar cost standpoint.

Though, I prefer color and movement to black and white (if at the sacrifice of some detail), so I prefer the anime, even with the greater time costs.
Old 2011-06-09, 08:44   Link #53
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

The last thing I bought on DVD was Ookami to Koushinryo, and I don't plan to get any more series on DVD. It's too dated to continue putting money in to.

I'm still following a few series in manga, though. And I'm not adverse to buying more, though my criteria for manga are pretty strict, thus why I have so little of it.

However, I spend copious amounts on figures. $800 this month alone. >.< So much for a hobby to replace my yearly DVD budget (~$1000). I've spent six or seven grand in the past 12 months on figures and two display cases for them.

So, yeah. I support the industry... sort of. Figures and other merch are different to DVDs and manga, but I believe actually make a larger part of their income stream.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 11:09   Link #54
Nihokon

I buy manga, but not anime. Because of the most obvious financial reason.
Old 2011-06-09, 11:09   Link #55
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I buy some R1/A anime and manga, figures from Japan, download, and subscribe to CR
Old 2011-08-25, 15:00   Link #56
YuriEcchiGirl

I always buy my anime & manga officially & licensed-wise whenever they're released over here in the UK

In fact, I'll be sure to post up a couple of photos in a new thread taken of me not too long ago with my ENTIRE collection on DVD so far to date very soon, I'm sure you'll all be pretty impressed by what you see
Old 2011-08-25, 15:01   Link #57
ArrowSmith

I buy DVDs when it's a great title, i want to support the artist and I can't see it on Netflix.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 21:16   Link #58
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As I said up above, the thing to do is buy what you can when you can - if you actually like it.

That said, I've gotten pretty grumpy over the last few years with manga companies NOT FINISHING their projects (looks at ARIA which has been left in limbo TWICE now by different companies). Some of the same thing happens in DVD land though in all my instances someone picked it up and finished the releases.

The result though is that I'm much less inclined to *start* a series released in R1 unless I know the entire series is in available. This is something the manga english-translation industry has done to itself. At the moment, I have a bit of trust in Del Rey and YEN... but not much else.
Old 2011-08-26, 06:16   Link #59
YuriEcchiGirl

There always seems to be many more anime titles released for R1 over in the USA as opposed to R2 over here which seem to be a lot more limited of titles that choose to get released...It's somewhat irritating to say the least at times, especially when it's a title that you want released over here so bad, but hey, you win some, you lose some
Old 2011-08-26, 16:21   Link #60
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriEcchiGirl View Post
In fact, I'll be sure to post up a couple of photos in a new thread taken of me not too long ago with my ENTIRE collection on DVD so far to date very soon, I'm sure you'll all be pretty impressed by what you see
You don't have to show us your entire collection. Heck, all you need to do is show just ONE row of your shelf which full of anime titles and we'll be impressed (and envy) enough since many of us are not DVD & BD collectors (just regular buyers) .

As for me, I buy the real-thing BDs (legally speaking) only if the anime is great and I can see myself watching it again and again (Gundam Unicorn and like the early seasons of Naruto). Recently, If I want to buy anime, my aim is for the BD. Since BDs' price nowadays are not that too far ahead of DVDs' (especially the ones on sale), I'd better save a bit and get the best available.

As for manga, there is only one series that I'm still following which is Kamen Rider Spirits. The reason: my shelf are gonna explode and I don't have any more room to spare for yet another shelf. Hell, that's the same reason I quit buying MG Gunplas since three years ago .