AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2015-02-25, 23:46   Link #1
BPD Renegade

DuckTales (2017)

It looks like DuckTales is making a comeback! This was one of my favorite shows back in the day. Good to see it returning, although I'm nervous about the possibility of a treasured memory being ruined. Let's cross our fingers in hopes this will turn out to be a good thing.

In the meantime, must resist binge watching!

Source
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 02:10   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Duck Tales! Wooooh
Everyday they're out there making Duck Tales! Woooh
Old 2015-02-26, 02:32   Link #3
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I always wanted to dive into a pool of gold coins, until I realized that's probably lethal. xD
The greatest lie is to convince people that the world is a dangerous place and a zero sum game where you are never safe. Distrust others and fight them for scraps, while the real enemy that spreads this lie takes the whole pie.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 02:35   Link #4
Westlo
Lets be reality

Life is like a hurricane.....

Donald being a main character in this edition is a good sign, hopefully it means they are mining the Carl Barks and Don Rosa stories they didn't do the first time, as well as being more faithful to them.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 03:31   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Bah, if they were reviving Disney Afternoon, shoulda been TaleSpin. Now that was a cartoon.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 04:32   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I want Rescue Rangers goddammit.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 06:30   Link #7
Chaos2Frozen
Ano Waza...!

Waaaahhhhh ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Bah, if they were reviving Disney Afternoon, shoulda been TaleSpin. Now that was a cartoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Darkwing Duck is where it's at.

~"I think 'DINOSAUR' might be one of my favorite words for a punchline."~
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 07:10   Link #8
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I guess the H, D and L triplets are getting an update once again. What does Disney think stereotypical teenagers do these days?
Old 2015-02-26, 09:53   Link #9
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

They should animate the early Carl Barks and Don Rosa stories, the true classics that gave the Duckburg characters memorable backgrounds and flesh. What I honestly wouldn't give to get an animated version of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which is a treasure trove of anecdotal (the historical figureheads Scrooge meets on his tribulations, such as Teddy Roosevelt himself), amusing, heart-wrenching (e.g. when Scrooge's father dies off-screen even as his son leaves the ancestral castle for a career in the New World) and downright epic (e.g. Scrooge going berserk inside that steamboat and pretty much wrecking a Klondike town) moments... Or any of the Don Rosa globetrotting/historical mystery-solving adventures... *nostalgia-filled sigh*

But I guess it'll be mostly adventures involving Magica DeSpell and the Beagle Boys...

Oh, well, we'll see.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-02-26 at 13:57.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 13:09   Link #10
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
What does Disney think stereotypical teenagers do these days?
Watch Marvel movies? .

God, is this going to be the first part of an eventual series featuring all the old cartoon series coming together to form some sort of vigilante group (a scourge against evil, if you will)? And here I was hoping they would take that concept and use it with the Disney Princesses instead...

Having recently replayed the updated version of the DuckTales game, I am interested to see just what this revamp has to offer. But of all the properties Disney could have turned into a film, I have to wonder why DuckTales? I seriously doubt nostalgia will play any significant (or even minor) part in the sale of the update, so I guess they are marketing on curiosity only? Whatever the case, I'm interested, even if only in the though process behind the new creation.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 13:35   Link #11
Utsuro no Hako

I hope they keep this close to the Barker/Rosa Duckverse without all the stupid additions from the latter half of the TV show. I'm okay with Launchpad and Webby, but please no Gizmo Duck and Bubba.

I wonder how they'll deal with the passage of time? Having Scrooge make his fortune in the Klondike gold rush was really pushing things in the original series, but at this point it'd be completely absurd. Do they roll with it, do a reboot with a new backstory for Scrooge, or make the setting the 1950s like in the Barker/Rosa comics?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 14:18   Link #12
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Technically speaking, Scrooge McDuck died (according to Don Rosa) in 1967, the same year Scrooge's creator, Carl Barks, went into retirement.

So, in a sense, DuckTales was already portraying a dead duck walking.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 14:27   Link #13
Frontier

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'll just throw Gargoyles into the ring as well .

Though I'd love it if any of these cartoons got revivals .

But yeah, cool that they're reviving Ducktales and I can't wait to see what comes of it. I hope it keeps elements of the original that made it so great and possibly be more true to the Carl Barks works that it was adapted from. It'll also be nice to see Donald more involved .

One thing I'm curious about is the voice cast...Alan Young (Scrooge) is getting on in years, and I'm not sure if he has the energy for a full-fledged cartoon, so they might have to recast Scrooge .
Old 2015-02-26, 19:03   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I certainly agree the original Barks Donald Duck stories were phenomenal, and I would love to see those animated. But within the realm of the Disney Afternoon lineup, I'm very partial to TaleSpin. None of the others, including DT or Darkwing, had nearly the narrative sophistication and wit TS did.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 20:38   Link #15
YF19EX

Quote:
I certainly agree the original Barks Donald Duck stories were phenomenal, and I would love to see those animated. But within the realm of the Disney Afternoon lineup, I'm very partial to TaleSpin. None of the others, including DT or Darkwing, had nearly the narrative sophistication and wit TS did.
Ill go with that. I loved TailSpin. It portrayed dog fights, guns, artillery and an alternate golden age of aircraft (30s/40s), mobsters, and corporate meddling. Heck I think it had some homages to Yamato with Shere Khan's private navy gunship in one episode.
Unfortunately I don't think a series like this could be portrayed as a kids show to today's audience.

I do believe though Gargoyles should be up there. Much more sophisticated narrative, that and half the TNG cast was the VA's.

On that note, I liked how Disney animation studios (much like many American animation studios / franchises in the 80s and early 90s) outsourced the animation to Japan. You could definitely tell the quality difference in the early Japanese animated ones vs later eps when they moved it back to the US or other studios.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 20:50   Link #16
White Manju Bun
I'm sorry that was a joke
*Author

I. loved. DuckTales. So Im psyched for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

Yessssss, they need to bring this back too.
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 21:26   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Unfortunately I don't think a series like this could be portrayed as a kids show to today's audience.
It is a bit ironic that many 80's and 90's cartoons were targeted toward children but still dipped into some heavier, adult oriented themes, despite being neutered for violence. There's a level of quality that isn't as prevalent in a lot of post 90's cartoons, especially since the Saturday morning blocks were cancelled.

That said, I'm not too certain about this reboot. Disney has pretty much gutted their animation studios, and those teams played a big part in the original shows. Flash animation and CGI is a big thing now, there's very little interest in making cartoons the way they used to. That was a big driver of the nostalgia, in my opinion.
Old 2015-02-26, 23:13   Link #18
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Ill go with that. I loved TailSpin. It portrayed dog fights, guns, artillery and an alternate golden age of aircraft (30s/40s), mobsters, and corporate meddling. Heck I think it had some homages to Yamato with Shere Khan's private navy gunship in one episode. Unfortunately I don't think a series like this could be portrayed as a kids show to today's audience.
I dunno, if Disney XD can air Star Wars: Rebels, I don't see why TaleSpin would be beyond the pale.

One thing that will be nice if other classic shows get resurrected, modern cartoons aren't afraid of story arcs. I mean, DuckTales had some good, epic multi-part stories, but TaleSpin would've been so much better if there'd been a larger ongoing plotline.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 23:24   Link #19
BPD Renegade

All the comments about Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, etc. Disney should just get rid of its current lineup and bring back the oldies. I doubt anyone would mind. Most cartoons nowadays lack the spark present in the 80's and 90's cartoons. I do enjoy Young Justice, Phineas and Ferb, and such, but for the most part, maybe they're trying too hard to be cool or to become the next hit, but they're falling short of something.
Quote:
Ill go with that. I loved TailSpin. It portrayed dog fights, guns, artillery and an alternate golden age of aircraft (30s/40s), mobsters, and corporate meddling. Heck I think it had some homages to Yamato with Shere Khan's private navy gunship in one episode.

I do believe though Gargoyles should be up there. Much more sophisticated narrative, that and half the TNG cast was the VA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It is a bit ironic that many 80's and 90's cartoons were targeted toward children but still dipped into some heavier, adult oriented themes, despite being neutered for violence. There's a level of quality that isn't as prevalent in a lot of post 90's cartoons, especially since the Saturday morning blocks were cancelled.
The Parent Association or whatever it's called would cry foul. Everything nowadays is dumbed down like hell, 'cause ya know, our precious children shouldn't know about such dark and violent things. 'Course, it's fine to have Family Guy and movies with people sexing it up in the middle of afternoon on channel X.

Maybe I'm mistaken -- it's been a while (a couple years maybe?) since I've watched Disney or anything on TV aimed towards kids/teens, but last time I did, it seemed like everything was focused on preteen boyfriends and trying to be cool. Makes you think "so long" to the days of Fresh Prince, Family Matters, and such shows which add in more realistic themes.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote