AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-07-10, 11:31   Link #1
teddychan
Dj Pedobear
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines, Manila
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to teddychan Send a message via Skype™ to teddychan
Confusing Rating System

10 - Masterpiece
9 - Very Good
8 - Good
7 - Mediocre
6 - Fine or still Mediocre
5 - Average
4 - Below Average
3 - Bad
2 - Very Bad
1 - Worst
0 - non Existent don't even bother


That one that is confusing to people how I rate is
the Mediocre stuff

they say Mediocre should be below average.
some say it's should be average.

but to me Mediocre is something that has all qualities that are Above Average but is missing something to be Good.

am I wrong or what?
__________________
GarenaTalk Room 24/7 room, Anime Daisuki

http://t.garena.com/70462784
Find Dj aya or Dj Pedobear for more info

Greetings from Anime Daisuki!
AnimeDaisuki was created by saiben32.
For the Purpose of Inviting other Anime Lovers out there to talk and listen about anime.
AnimeDaisuki is a Room for Anime, Game and Music.
We welcome everyone to join our room.
Come and join and be an ULTIMATE OTAKU!
teddychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 03:02   Link #2
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 27
Mediocre means average, but is used in a derogatory sense, i.e. to point out that something is less than good. Since you already have average in your rating system, mediocre is excess.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 19:00   Link #3
monsta666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddychan View Post
they say Mediocre should be below average.
some say it's should be average.

but to me Mediocre is something that has all qualities that are Above Average but is missing something to be Good.

am I wrong or what?
Whilst mediocre can be used to describe something as very average i.e. not above or below the norm most of the time the context in which the word is used has a negative connotation. This means in practice the word mediocre tends to be associated with something that is slightly below average. Mediocre is never used to describe something above average however. Check out the definition from dictionary.com if the word is still confusing you

My suggested descriptions for top 10 ratings would be:

10 - Masterpiece/True classic
09 - Excellent
08 - Very good
07 - Good
06 - Above the norm
05 - Average
04 - Mediocre
03 - Poor
02 - Very poor
01 - Abysmal
00 - Unwatchable/offensive
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 16:27   Link #4
Akuma Kousaka
The Angry Idol Fag Nerd
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Uranohoshi
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka Send a message via Skype™ to Akuma Kousaka
This is why I don't use numerical ratings anymore, because the numbers mean different things to everyone so I could very well enjoy a 7/10 more than someone did an 8/10. I vow we use letter ratings instead, because the denotations are ubiquitous and I don't have to explain fuck all. Hopefully.
__________________
Honoka~ <3Do you know what's the most important thing about climbing mountains?
It's not about having the courage to challenge it
It's about having the courage to back down

~Nozomi Tōjō
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 12:58   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
This is how I read people's numeric system,

10 - "I legitimately liked it" / "It was legitimately good watch" / "Would legitimately recommend it"
09 - "I really really want to like it" / "I feel it makes me smart to like it, but don't really like it very much"
08 - "I've been obligated to like it" / "I'm not gonna give it a lower number so as to be able to recommend it"
07 - "It's shit but have no idea why, here's my cop-out number"
06 - "Please hate this show with me"
05 - "I like watching bad anime, this is a bad one"
04 - "I like watching bad anime, this is a bad one" / "The series has betrayed all my expectations"
03 - (don't really ever see this outside of meta scores)
02 - (don't really ever see this outside of meta scores)
01 - "I like hating on shows and watching shows that make me feel stupid"/ "Trolling time!"
00 - "I liked it but gonna grab attention to myself anyway" / "I liked it but convinced myself I hate it" / "Trolling time!"

If the number contains a decimal points then the scale only really goes up to 8; convert any number above 8 to just 8.

If the person in question is very vocal on how his number system's X is so and so, then you can forget the scale entirely, every number he gives just means: "This is my completely random number I wrote out to bait people into giving me attention"

We invented words for communication, so if you want to say something is "[in your opinion] a masterpiece" just go ahead and SAY IT dammit! If you're too chicken to say it and need a number to hide behind which you change the meaning of as you please then you clearly probably have no idea what you're saying either.

Also, small tangent: a masterpiece is something that we talk about 3years from now, OR that in time dictates how everything else is made from that point onward. The longer it stays in the consciousness of the fandom the bigger masterpiece it is. For example Gurren Lagann is a masterpiece since we can just remember it and what we like about it, like its nothing special to have it memory. Something that's really good and enjoyable right now, is just that: "exactly what you wanted for the year of 2016" but not necessarily a masterpiece.

So how should you honestly rate something?

It's really quite simple, ANYWHERE in your post user the keywords "I liked it", "I hated it" or "I dunno". No need to add fancy flowers or formatting to it, just say it! maybe add some thoughts to it. Easy!
__________________

Last edited by felix; 2016-07-16 at 13:23.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 05:07   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 27
If I personally loved a show, I'd give it a 10/10. Of course, nothing is perfect, there are flaws to be found everywhere - if it's negligible, keep 10. If it's little things that force recognition, drop to 9. If there are many such points (be it plot calls or out of place moments), drop to 8. It's still something amazing, but this is the part where I can't overlook its flaws, even if I don't personally mind them.

When a show is average, I rate it at 6-7, depending on how it was or could have been handled. IMO 5 is the bottom line for watchable series; anything less just goes to show how bad it can get and shouldn't be worth your time...especially if there are sequels.

That being said, I rarely rate below 5, since such ratings go to dropped series - if they can't keep me interested enough, they're definitely NOT worth my time (even if "it gets better after 80 hours").

This may be moving the thread in a different direction that intended, but it's an interesting topic, so we might as well keep it, right?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-19, 08:13   Link #7
Jinjer
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
this is why i rather go for a 5-point system
3 would be a middling grade, 5 would be perfect, 1 would be garbage, 2 and 4 are there for the fuzzy areas
Jinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-21, 11:10   Link #8
teddychan
Dj Pedobear
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines, Manila
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to teddychan Send a message via Skype™ to teddychan
I don't use once source of information I use many because using only dictionary is insufficient for me, thus i find it confusing, because from my research mediocre has different meaning sometimes it's below average and sometimes it's above.
that's why it's confusing me.
though this is the point system I use and of course modern anime never reach 10 to me actually it never got out of 7

i use this system though

10 story
10 art
10 music
10 enjoyment
10 characters

then i just add them and divide them by 5
the result is the overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
This is how I read people's numeric system,

10 - "I legitimately liked it" / "It was legitimately good watch" / "Would legitimately recommend it"
09 - "I really really want to like it" / "I feel it makes me smart to like it, but don't really like it very much"
08 - "I've been obligated to like it" / "I'm not gonna give it a lower number so as to be able to recommend it"
07 - "It's shit but have no idea why, here's my cop-out number"
06 - "Please hate this show with me"
05 - "I like watching bad anime, this is a bad one"
04 - "I like watching bad anime, this is a bad one" / "The series has betrayed all my expectations"
03 - (don't really ever see this outside of meta scores)
02 - (don't really ever see this outside of meta scores)
01 - "I like hating on shows and watching shows that make me feel stupid"/ "Trolling time!"
00 - "I liked it but gonna grab attention to myself anyway" / "I liked it but convinced myself I hate it" / "Trolling time!"

If the number contains a decimal points then the scale only really goes up to 8; convert any number above 8 to just 8.

If the person in question is very vocal on how his number system's X is so and so, then you can forget the scale entirely, every number he gives just means: "This is my completely random number I wrote out to bait people into giving me attention"

We invented words for communication, so if you want to say something is "[in your opinion] a masterpiece" just go ahead and SAY IT dammit! If you're too chicken to say it and need a number to hide behind which you change the meaning of as you please then you clearly probably have no idea what you're saying either.

Also, small tangent: a masterpiece is something that we talk about 3years from now, OR that in time dictates how everything else is made from that point onward. The longer it stays in the consciousness of the fandom the bigger masterpiece it is. For example Gurren Lagann is a masterpiece since we can just remember it and what we like about it, like its nothing special to have it memory. Something that's really good and enjoyable right now, is just that: "exactly what you wanted for the year of 2016" but not necessarily a masterpiece.

So how should you honestly rate something?

It's really quite simple, ANYWHERE in your post user the keywords "I liked it", "I hated it" or "I dunno". No need to add fancy flowers or formatting to it, just say it! maybe add some thoughts to it. Easy!
that kind of rating is for casual people.
what i'm rating is for critical thinking or critical analysis, not just casual
because if i'll just use casual rating then, many will rarely go below 8 or 6.
__________________
GarenaTalk Room 24/7 room, Anime Daisuki

http://t.garena.com/70462784
Find Dj aya or Dj Pedobear for more info

Greetings from Anime Daisuki!
AnimeDaisuki was created by saiben32.
For the Purpose of Inviting other Anime Lovers out there to talk and listen about anime.
AnimeDaisuki is a Room for Anime, Game and Music.
We welcome everyone to join our room.
Come and join and be an ULTIMATE OTAKU!

Last edited by teddychan; 2016-07-21 at 11:15. Reason: I hate double posting so i usually just edit to update what i want to speak :D
teddychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-21, 12:28   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddychan View Post
that kind of rating is for casual people.
what i'm rating is for critical thinking or critical analysis, not just casual
because if i'll just use casual rating then, many will rarely go below 8 or 6.
How about you know... you use critical thinking and critical analysis in the actual post?

(If we're talking "casual analysis," slapping "8/10" is the most casual thing you can do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddychan View Post
I don't use once source of information I use many because using only dictionary is insufficient for me, thus i find it confusing, because from my research mediocre has different meaning sometimes it's below average and sometimes it's above.
that's why it's confusing me.
though this is the point system I use and of course modern anime never reach 10 to me actually it never got out of 7

i use this system though

10 story
10 art
10 music
10 enjoyment
10 characters

then i just add them and divide them by 5
the result is the overall
And who's the score for anyway?
  • If you want to show how good the story is write a dramatic synopsis/analysis.
  • If you want to show how good the art is just post a representative screenshot or animation.
  • If you want to show how good the music is stick a video of it or describe how it was used with other elements.
  • (Enjoyment seems like just a sneaky score adjustment value)
  • Characters are really art and writing; I assume writing goes into story in this 5 number system, along with world building and everything else.
Basically, showing anything other then a random number is far more interesting for anyone reading your critical analysis.

Also,

If you want to be mathy about it, you're doing it wrong

Just by placing it in a scale of 1 to 10 you've already lost a lot of information and made it extremely inaccurate in comparisons. Given two series in very different years both 9/10 you would think they would be perfectly equivalent, both being 9/10 and all. But that's not true at all, you can't even say that the newer one would be better since sometimes standards go down. Since the number is an average of 5 other numbers, it also means the series might not even be comparable, and the "average" in this context just helps in removing what little information was there to begin with. It literally says nothing at all; at best it's just a tool for hype, anti-hype and general confusion on the actual value of something.

If you REALLY really want to assign a number then you want to use Elo-like system. First, use an uncapped scale, since reality itself isn't capped; things can always be better (or worse). Then, throw everything into a giant pool, and start them all at some preset initial rating (1600 or something). Randomly compare all the entries in a 1v1 mini-decisions and move points from one entry to the other based on difference in rating (small difference = small point gain, big difference = big point gain, negative difference = no change). Eventually the system will stabilize, and comparing any entries would cause no significant change. Once you reach that you have your ratings (really really good series with the highest, really terrible series bellow the initial 1600). They'll be biased towards your tastes but its as accurate as you can get with math on the subject—for the purpose of analysis though it's probably utterly useless since it's just quantification, it's therefore not an analysis at all. But, at least you can derive both a lot more and a lot more accurate information from the ratings of this method compared to the average.

So why don't see something like the above? It's not like it's an unknown method; it's been known for years and years and is used in sports to rate player skill more-or-less accurately.

The answer is because throwing a "9/10" is 97% laziness, 2% illusion, 1% anything else. What's not to like?
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-21, 20:25   Link #10
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 35
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think it's possible for a ratings system to have value, but only if you are very consistent and strict with it. And I have to admit that I'm not, which is why I've pretty much given up rating things on MAL. So while I'm not quite as cynical about this as felix is, I still mostly get where he's coming from, and I agree with him on some points.


My own personal approach to 1 to 10 ratings. In other words, if I give the rating myself, this tends to be what it means for me:

10 = Masterpiece (series), Marvelously enjoyable with strong impact (episode)
9 = Excellent.
8 = Very Good. An issue or two holds it back for me, or it's just not that great.
7 = Good. Generally enjoyable with some nice moments, but very messy and/or disappointing in some ways.
6 = Average/Medicore. Had potential, but fell way short due to certain issues.
5 = Barely passable. A strong element or two keeps it just above "trash" in my eyes.
4 = Dumpster
3 = Dumpster Fire
2 = Dumpster. Fire. ...and people should be fired for this.
1 = Epic bad. Memorably bad. I'm not merely bored or disappointed. Something about this downright offends me.


My impression of what 1 to 10 ratings mean on Anime Suki in general (also what they mean on MAL, more or less):

10 = It was everything I wanted it to be. Maybe even beyond my expectations.
9 = "It definitely met my expectations"(if hyped)/"Surprisingly good!"(if random try)
8 = "I love this franchise, but this episode/series let me down a little." (if hyped)/"Pretty good/not bad" (if random try)
7 = "I love this franchise, but I'm feeling serious disappointment..."(if hyped)/"It's Ok, I guess..." (if random try)
6 = "This is the lowest score I can give this beloved franchise... deep down, I'm upset" (if hyped)/"Meh." (if random try)
5 = "I'm too attached to this to drop this, but I want the Creator/Director/Writer to feel my RAGE!" (if hyped)/"See ya later!" (if random try)
4 = "Instant drop. I can't stand to watch this franchise anymore. My heart is broken! It BURNS!" (if hyped)/ "Wow, now that was bad. Instant drop!" (if random try)
3 = "I want to be a believable troll"
2 = "I want to be a cute troll"
1 = "I feel massive hate and rage towards this episode/series."
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2016-07-21 at 20:40.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:09   Link #11
teddychan
Dj Pedobear
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines, Manila
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to teddychan Send a message via Skype™ to teddychan
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
How about you know... you use critical thinking and critical analysis in the actual post?

(If we're talking "casual analysis," slapping "8/10" is the most casual thing you can do)

And who's the score for anyway?
  • If you want to show how good the story is write a dramatic synopsis/analysis.
  • If you want to show how good the art is just post a representative screenshot or animation.
  • If you want to show how good the music is stick a video of it or describe how it was used with other elements.
  • (Enjoyment seems like just a sneaky score adjustment value)
  • Characters are really art and writing; I assume writing goes into story in this 5 number system, along with world building and everything else.
Basically, showing anything other then a random number is far more interesting for anyone reading your critical analysis.

Also,

If you want to be mathy about it, you're doing it wrong

Just by placing it in a scale of 1 to 10 you've already lost a lot of information and made it extremely inaccurate in comparisons. Given two series in very different years both 9/10 you would think they would be perfectly equivalent, both being 9/10 and all. But that's not true at all, you can't even say that the newer one would be better since sometimes standards go down. Since the number is an average of 5 other numbers, it also means the series might not even be comparable, and the "average" in this context just helps in removing what little information was there to begin with. It literally says nothing at all; at best it's just a tool for hype, anti-hype and general confusion on the actual value of something.

If you REALLY really want to assign a number then you want to use Elo-like system. First, use an uncapped scale, since reality itself isn't capped; things can always be better (or worse). Then, throw everything into a giant pool, and start them all at some preset initial rating (1600 or something). Randomly compare all the entries in a 1v1 mini-decisions and move points from one entry to the other based on difference in rating (small difference = small point gain, big difference = big point gain, negative difference = no change). Eventually the system will stabilize, and comparing any entries would cause no significant change. Once you reach that you have your ratings (really really good series with the highest, really terrible series bellow the initial 1600). They'll be biased towards your tastes but its as accurate as you can get with math on the subject—for the purpose of analysis though it's probably utterly useless since it's just quantification, it's therefore not an analysis at all. But, at least you can derive both a lot more and a lot more accurate information from the ratings of this method compared to the average.

So why don't see something like the above? It's not like it's an unknown method; it's been known for years and years and is used in sports to rate player skill more-or-less accurately.

The answer is because throwing a "9/10" is 97% laziness, 2% illusion, 1% anything else. What's not to like?
I see, I haven't seen that elo system, maybe i'll check it out
that 9/10 thing is truly right in the kokoro! hahaha

Quote:
My impression of what 1 to 10 ratings mean on Anime Suki in general (also what they mean on MAL, more or less):

10 = It was everything I wanted it to be. Maybe even beyond my expectations.
9 = "It definitely met my expectations"(if hyped)/"Surprisingly good!"(if random try)
8 = "I love this franchise, but this episode/series let me down a little." (if hyped)/"Pretty good/not bad" (if random try)
7 = "I love this franchise, but I'm feeling serious disappointment..."(if hyped)/"It's Ok, I guess..." (if random try)
6 = "This is the lowest score I can give this beloved franchise... deep down, I'm upset" (if hyped)/"Meh." (if random try)
5 = "I'm too attached to this to drop this, but I want the Creator/Director/Writer to feel my RAGE!" (if hyped)/"See ya later!" (if random try)
4 = "Instant drop. I can't stand to watch this franchise anymore. My heart is broken! It BURNS!" (if hyped)/ "Wow, now that was bad. Instant drop!" (if random try)
3 = "I want to be a believable troll"
2 = "I want to be a cute troll"
1 = "I feel massive hate and rage towards this episode/series."
lol exactly my thoughts on MAL hahaha
__________________
GarenaTalk Room 24/7 room, Anime Daisuki

http://t.garena.com/70462784
Find Dj aya or Dj Pedobear for more info

Greetings from Anime Daisuki!
AnimeDaisuki was created by saiben32.
For the Purpose of Inviting other Anime Lovers out there to talk and listen about anime.
AnimeDaisuki is a Room for Anime, Game and Music.
We welcome everyone to join our room.
Come and join and be an ULTIMATE OTAKU!
teddychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.