AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-05, 17:43   Link #1
KuroiKage

Action Show With Strong Male and Female Leads

In many action shows I've seen, if there is both a male and female as main characters, either the male is powerful and the female is weak or vice versa. (star driver, birdy, shana)

What I'm looking for is an action/fighting show where both the male and female leads are tough and not all wimpy and needing protection.

To kind of expand and give you a better idea, cowboy bebop is what I mean in the sense that faye along with spike and jet were strong individuals in their own right but happen to cross paths with each other. Soul Eater also didn't have many wimpy characters (besides chrona obv), maka and soul were tough. Legend of legendary heros has two strong fighters. Something that pops into my head is how inu yasha is to songo compared to kagome. Songo can hold it down while kagome is always needing protection.

I hope that gives you a good idea of what I mean. Hope you can help!
Old 2011-06-05, 17:59   Link #2
Akuma Kinomoto
Magically Lyrical

Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kinomoto
Baccano! is a good example of this, as the concept of a lead is replaced by an ensemble, so you can pick and choose the strong men and women you perceive as the main characters. Ladd Russo for a tough dude and Chane Laforet for a femme fatale. There's more, but they stand out for me.
we notice the people around us improving too
which makes us work even harder.
In a way, I guess you could say friends are like rivals
Old 2011-06-05, 18:06   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Kekkaishi - I seem to remember the protagonist's childhood friend/neighbor is at least as good as he is...
Tenshi na Konamaiki - the protagonist and male lead are both good fighters... (it's shounen despite the female lead)
Old 2011-06-05, 18:10   Link #4
Practical joke
...completely lost it...

There's a serie currently airing named: hidan no aria, which comes to mind.

next to that I somehow have "tengen toppa" keep popping up.
Old 2011-06-05, 19:12   Link #5
mecharobot

Slayers? The core Slayers team have two males and two females and they're all strong.

Maybe something like Busou Renkin as well. I recall both the main male and main female being strong warriors.

Tokko, I think had this too.
Old 2011-06-05, 19:27   Link #6
kitten320

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, watch it NOW! You won't see any stronger male/female leads than this since they both are number 1 assasins

I'll second Baccano since almost everyone are main characters there so you have huge choice to choose from.

I think Bakemonogatari will suit too.

Chrno Cursade has two strong parties, the male is actually a demon while female is a demon hunter.

Busou Renkin, both parties are strong and can kick ass.

Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles the girl can kick ass but a guy is more of a strategist who comes up with war plans, obviously he is involved in war actions too.

You can try Fairy Tail, Lucy is not that strong but there is Erza who is almost on par with Lucy in being a main heroine. And Natsu obviouly kicks asses.
Old 2011-06-05, 21:36   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Chrome Shelled Regios leaps to mind.

Also Chrono Crusade and Crest of the Stars, Full Metal Panic maybe? In later episodes anyway.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-06-05, 22:04   Link #8
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Maybe Hidan no Aria it's a bit like Shana except with Guns, and the male lead is more than capable at times given his 'ability' and Aria is plenty strong on her own too .

I'd say Fate/Stay Night should fit too, though male lead is a bit weak at the start gets better later[or just in general in the UBW movie]

And Bakemonogatari might fit, but I wouldn't call it the right genre for here.
Old 2011-06-05, 22:22   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Black Lagoon. Even though Rock is not physically imposing, his Badass stems from Awesomeness by Analysis. And Revy is just... well, Badass turned up to eleven.

I mean shit, the dude stared the leader of the Russian mafia down while UNARMED and barely even flinched! Rock is fucking GAR.
Old 2011-06-05, 22:23   Link #10
GreatTeacherKen

Fairy Tail might be worth a look. Lucy is more or less the female lead and is pretty capable, although in terms of fighting prowess, she is relatively weak compared to her friends but then again, she is a rookie.

If she doesn't quite cut it for you, Erza, the other main female character, is probably one of the most badass characters in the whole series and intimidates many of her fellow guild members. The women in this series generally hold their own, but Erza is definitely the one character that stands out the most.
Old 2011-06-06, 00:40   Link #11
sadisticlust

Freezing seems to be what you are looking for. It has both a strong male and female as the main characters.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=11823
Old 2011-06-06, 01:08   Link #12
ArrowSmith

Evangelion is a prime example of super strong female leads that you can really respect.
Old 2011-06-06, 02:41   Link #13
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Ryoko's Case Files might be not a usual fighting anime, but there are fights, and both leads are equally strong.
Old 2011-06-06, 12:48   Link #14
KuroiKage

Thanks for all the recommendations so far, I didn't think I'd get this many so I have a lot of investigating to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
Evangelion is a prime example of super strong female leads that you can really respect.
Yes but I wanted to stay away from the strong/weak dynamic and evangelion is arguably one of the worst offenders in this sense (shinji + any of the girls)
Old 2011-06-06, 12:59   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The brother and sister pair in Scrapped Princess are both highly competent fighters. He's a "warrior," and she's a "mage," to use RPG categories.