AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-06, 14:58   Link #221
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Can't Ayumu just fight the Megalos without transforming? I mean we KNOW he can fight without it. Pretty well too.

I don't remember much from the first season at all. Was it stated somewhere that only Masou Shoujos could kill Megalos or something?

He doesn't deserve my pity. Not if he makes the stupidest choice out of all the possible options.
__________________
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 15:59   Link #222
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Can't Ayumu just fight the Megalos without transforming? I mean we KNOW he can fight without it. Pretty well too.

I don't remember much from the first season at all. Was it stated somewhere that only Masou Shoujos could kill Megalos or something?

He doesn't deserve my pity. Not if he makes the stupidest choice out of all the possible options.
The sun is up
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 16:16   Link #223
Valky
Harbinger of Sorrow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011


Now this is great.

This series is so funny I can't stop laughing when I'm watching it. Rainbow puking Chris. Ayumi trying to find Chris only to be groped by a megalo LOLOLOL, and Saras, what a pervert lololol.
__________________
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 16:25   Link #224
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
The sun is up
Then there are better ways of getting around that. I'd imagine as long as Ayumu's body is continuously hydrated, he won't dry up under the influence of heat. So they could just as well dump a barrel of water on him or something before he fights during the daytime which should increase the amount of time he has.

There's really no reason for his cross-dressing transformations. There's already one other main character with the exact same ability which makes it even less needed. Personally it's not even funny, and in my eyes all it accomplishes is making him more lame to watch.
__________________
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 16:41   Link #225
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
- Where are you going to find a barrel of water on short notice?
- How much longer will that make him not only mobile, but superpowered?
- Without a weapon, can he finish a Megalo?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 16:43   Link #226
Valky
Harbinger of Sorrow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
If you watch the first season I believe he dried up more faster than you think. It's not really efficient for him to splash himself with water from time to time while he is fighting, he could end up dead. He could fight in the shade though, like in the first season when he fight in the alley.

The other reason he transform is because Masou Shoujo form boost his ability. Boost ability means ending the fight faster and less collateral damage.
__________________
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 16:44   Link #227
Elestia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
There's really no reason for his cross-dressing transformations. There's already one other main character with the exact same ability which makes it even less needed. Personally it's not even funny, and in my eyes all it accomplishes is making him more lame to watch.
Because it is hilarious to watch? Because that is what they are trying to accomplish? Ayumu isn't the impeccable or cool MC of the show and poor Taeko had to learn it the hard way.
__________________
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 16:45   Link #228
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
His friends life was in danger so I don't think it would've been a good time to experiment...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 16:56   Link #229
kimpleng
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Almost all zombie in game or other story very weak to fire element. I remember playing Final Fantasy IX, using Vivi's magic "Fire" give a lot of damage to zombie type.

I don't think if you pour him a lot of water will help. Have you ever trying swimming using full clothes. Or wearing totally wet clothes. Its heavy and slowing you down.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 19:23   Link #230
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Can't Ayumu just fight the Megalos without transforming? I mean we KNOW he can fight without it. Pretty well too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Because it is hilarious to watch? Because that is what they are trying to accomplish? Ayumu isn't the impeccable or cool MC of the show and poor Taeko had to learn it the hard way.
Elestia pretty much summed the meta- perspective, but in-universe I think its better to be viewed as a queer rather than an undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I don't remember much from the first season at all. Was it stated somewhere that only Masou Shoujos could kill Megalos or something?

He doesn't deserve my pity. Not if he makes the stupidest choice out of all the possible options.
Pity Heroes, unlike villains are not characterized by cunning intellect, but bold guts, and Ayumu had the courage to be a pervert for friendship, love, and other higher values... as Mayoi@Monogatari would have said
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 19:31   Link #231
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
I think I forgot to mention this in my impressions. I like that the OP ends with a brief narration describing the premise of the series. It's a faux-retro touch that only underscores the ridiculousness.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 19:34   Link #232
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall, Kitchen
Hmm ... you know, I said this elsewhere, and I know that it may not be garner a lot of agreement from many fans of the show proper, but I'll go ahead and "stick my foot in it here"....

For me the series (both season 1 and even after season 2's first ep) is all about Eu. Period. For me she is the center and core of the entire story, and the other characters are secondary charas, although Ayumu is without a doubt the most important of these secondary charas.

While I enjoy the tableside conversations and general banter of the group of them at times, the fanservice and silliness doesn't really do much for me - it seems an "aside" to keep people's attention as the story wheels around Eu and Ayumu's relation and the most important thing it impacts on, essentially the balance of the created world.

I kinda wait through the "fluff" of the series to wait for the interaction between Eu and Ayumu and the connotations thereof, just as I wait through the "fluff" around Fear and the male lead in Cube x Cursed x Curious until they get to what is for me the most interesting part of that story - the slow emotional growth of Fear into a human being ... but that's just me I guess.
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 19:43   Link #233
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Then there are better ways of getting around that. I'd imagine as long as Ayumu's body is continuously hydrated, he won't dry up under the influence of heat. So they could just as well dump a barrel of water on him or something before he fights during the daytime which should increase the amount of time he has.

There's really no reason for his cross-dressing transformations. There's already one other main character with the exact same ability which makes it even less needed. Personally it's not even funny, and in my eyes all it accomplishes is making him more lame to watch.
Dumping a barrel of water is not continuously hydrating. A large majority of the water would run right off him, and even more so when he's moving. The problem with a dead body isn't that it lacks moisture, but that it loses moisture too quickly. It's like a gas tank with a hole in it. Overfilling it doesn't mean you get more time. He can only hold so much water like a normal person, but he loses it much more quickly.

Also, even if it does buy him more time, how is he supposed to know how much longer he has before he dries out again? What if he dries out mid battle? That is a risk not worth taking. If it was, then Ayumu could just drink some gallons of water then speed blitz home instead of waiting until sunset everyday.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 20:08   Link #234
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Hmm ... you know, I said this elsewhere, and I know that it may not be garner a lot of agreement from many fans of the show proper, but I'll go ahead and "stick my foot in it here"....

For me the series (both season 1 and even after season 2's first ep) is all about Eu. Period. For me she is the center and core of the entire story, and the other characters are secondary charas, although Ayumu is without a doubt the most important of these secondary charas.
No, it's NOT...



Don't be too critical those are 12+ months old, when the 1st season of the show along with MIA-Himeji persuaded me to begin drawing SeraxHaruna and 10k%-masou-shoujo-Ayumu FTW

On a more serious note, the anime is more of a parody/referential-comedy, and as such can stand beside Inukami and even Monogatari, despite the limited resources devoted by the studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Fair enough ... but note that I said "for me" ... I was not objectively evaluating the novels/series per se, and am completely aware that it is my own take on it and that others will disagree with me (or with my take on C3 for that matter).
... and C^3 is all about Kirika



..talking about personal tastes and all each one of us pays attention to or thinks about

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-04-06 at 20:22. Reason: C^3
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 20:13   Link #235
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall, Kitchen
Fair enough ... but note that I said "for me" ... I was not objectively evaluating the novels/series per se, and am completely aware that it is my own take on it and that others will disagree with me (or with my take on C3 for that matter).
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 21:01   Link #236
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Poor guy. He just can't catch a break.

Of all the harem heroes, did anyone ever pay so high a price? It's not like they're even all that nice to him...
I have to say he really does pay a huge price for that harem. The verbal abuse is one thing, but the cross-dressing really is a big one. Suppose you could also include the fact he had to die as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Can't Ayumu just fight the Megalos without transforming? I mean we KNOW he can fight without it. Pretty well too.

I don't remember much from the first season at all. Was it stated somewhere that only Masou Shoujos could kill Megalos or something?

He doesn't deserve my pity. Not if he makes the stupidest choice out of all the possible options.
Well I remember from last season that super strength alone didn't do Ayumu much good against a Megalo. He can definitely hurt them, but his body will break down from going at 100% or more. It'd be a drawn out fight and he might be a broken pile of bones before he could actually win. The boost from the transformation and protection from dehydration is needed if he's going to fight and win. Protecting his body from breaking under the stress of his own attacks is important.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 23:32   Link #237
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Because it is hilarious to watch? Because that is what they are trying to accomplish? Ayumu isn't the impeccable or cool MC of the show and poor Taeko had to learn it the hard way.
I guess my sense of humor has done me in again cause I don't think it's funny.

Quote:
Pity Heroes, unlike villains are not characterized by cunning intellect, but bold guts, and Ayumu had the courage to be a pervert for friendship, love, and other higher values... as Mayoi@Monogatari would have said
The pity comment was more or less a response to what Haak said. About feeling sorry for him.

As for the part about important qualities of heroes being bold and courageous, that's true, but I believe a hero can be intelligent at the same time regardless of that. Ayumu's classmates were discussing about the cross-dresser in the magazine JUST before he encountered the Megalo, so I think if he was thinking with that head of his he would have found another way to take the Megalo down if he didn't want anybody finding out about it.

If I have a hero that only runs on their instinct and courage, I'd like it if they actually looked COOL while fighting, and not cross-dressing in frilly girly clothes. Because if they aren't smart, then the only redeeming thing about them would be how awesome they are. When you have a hero that isn't smart OR cool, then he just becomes a waste of space and, for the most part, unlikeable.

The easiest solution to this would just be to give Ayumu something more dignified to wear when he transforms. But I seriously doubt that's going to happen.
__________________

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-04-06 at 23:45.
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 23:45   Link #238
Elestia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
So your answer to remedying the situation is to make it less .... funny and more... cool?
__________________
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 23:59   Link #239
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
It's more a personal taste really. If they tried to make Ayumu more cool rather than a total laughing stock, I'd probably be able to like this show more than I currently do. Which isn't very much.

It's really difficult to enjoy a series when you're not really fond of any of the characters. I don't really care about any of the girls so Ayumu's the closest one to a character I actually have a liking for from this series, and yet that cross-dressing aspect when he fights completely ruins his character for me. It's a shame.
__________________

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-04-07 at 02:08.
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 02:04   Link #240
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Type-00
Just watched episode one. I have to admit, I did not expect to laugh as much as I initially thought. In addition, I had the impression that the pink-haired girl is a dignified and very serious character after watching the last episode of the first season, yet I did not expect her nature to be totally different. Not to mention, she throws up in pretty rainbow colors which is a big plus. Her flustered face was truly lethal to the heart in a good way of course.

Ayumu never failed to be an entertaining lead again. I find his delusions and reaction to his buttocks being grabbed truly priceless. I suspected that the memories of the students will be just erased so I thought Ayumu was safe, but the chainsaw broke... Oh dear lord, they'll remember all of it. Oh, the horror~ =D
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen, zombies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.