AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-21, 22:52   Link #1
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

What kind of games do you spend a lot of time playing?

I just preordered a game when I noticed a preview about it saying to expect 30-40 hours of gameplay. Thinking about play time got me looking at the time I've sunk into Fallout: New Vegas, Just Cause 2, TF2, and Minecraft, and reminded me that I had about 2 years of /played time on my WoW characters. And I stopped playing that around the time Minecraft came out. This isn't even mentioning my high school years that were filled with more classic games FPS and strategy games.

What games have you played that just keep you coming back? Is there some common element in gameplay or design that makes you want to spend time going over something hour after hour, day after day? Or are games just an urge you need to satisfy every now and then?
Old 2011-08-22, 02:02   Link #2
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Hmm.. for me, I most likely play western RPG games repeatedly. They tend to have branching storyline and different endings. The gameplay experience also varies depending on our character creation (such as race and gender in Dragon Age games). So yeah, those keeps me play the game again and again.

Another type of games that I play frequently is the one I call 'plug-n-play' games it is a type of games that is very quick to start, play, and end. Most commonly fighting games, rhythm games, and games which don't emphasize the storyline. Racing games would count too, I guess.

Oh, and of course I would spend lots of time playing a game if I want to achieve 100% completion
Old 2011-08-22, 02:24   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

MonHun Freedom U: spending about 3 hours a day after leaving it at 87 hours, because I wanted to finish my Dissidia 012, still playing 3h or so, currently at 103h. God knows how many hours I've spent on DotA and LoL...also got a good 100+ hours on Demon's Souls. These are the kind of games that I'll be just playing all day long until I finish them, and then start playing less and less as I perfect my stats.
Old 2011-08-22, 02:38   Link #4
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

MMOs, naturally, has been the biggest part of my gaming. In WoW I probably had, combined over accounts over the years, 40 days of playtime. EVE is probably up in 500 hours now.

THen MOBAs, DotA and LoL are around 60 hours each. Large world sandbox FPSes such as STALKER, GTAIV and Fallout comes in at 60 hours each I'd guess. Also, BF2 and BC2 has 200 hours each. But right now it's only EVE, I can't hold my attention very long in any other genre... Until BF3 comes. So yea, MMOs and team-based multiplayer FPS.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 02:55   Link #5
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
The Sonic the Hedgehog series is probably what I've spent most of my life as a gamer playing. My passion for the series always has me playing the the games over and over and at least once to perfection with all top level ranks and all collectibles. I wouldn't say I'm a master though as I can't compare to some of the best level completion times and scores.

The game clock for my original file of Sonic Adventure 2 is a bit over 250 hours. Also my game clock for Sonic Heroes has hit it's maximum limit at 99 hours 60 minutes and 60 seconds.

One day I hope to complete approximately all 500 or so story routes on Shadow the Hedgehog as well. That should end up eating a lot of time.

While I have played other games for rather long periods of time, in the grand scheme of it all I don't think they come close to the time I've spent on the Sonic series.
Old 2011-08-22, 04:19   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Forgot to mention Maplestory, started out back in 2007...still playing although a lot less now, grinding for a lvlup at LV143 takes a good 10 hours at least...
Quote:
Is there some common element in gameplay or design that makes you want to spend time going over something hour after hour, day after day? Or are games just an urge you need to satisfy every now and then?
MapleStory was addicting because of the community, mostly. Large guilds, annual events, custom events created by us, it surpassed the fun of normal MMOs until people started quitting left and right.
MOBAs are in my daily routine, I'll definitely have them on my mind if I don't try out a new build every day Dissidia's got the bonus calendar, for example today's got bonus PP AP EXP and gil, so it's a good day to invest in it...Monster Hunter is all about taking on quests for materials (don't really see it as grinding) and crafting new gear. Spending some time fishing at the pond can be relaxing as well~
JRPGs are like books, once I get started I just want to watch the entire story unfold, bonus content for extra fun is welcome.

EDIT: Fighting games are only fun if you've got someone to play with, no exceptions.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2011-08-22 at 05:32.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 04:56   Link #7
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
JRPGs for the most part, although a lot less these days as they do not appear on the market. Well, localized ones anyway. Game mechanics, story, character development all influence my liking of particular game. Even today I go back to Tales of series or Suikoden games and replay them respectively for the who knows how many times. If you want to count them as games I play a lot of VNs as well.
Old 2011-08-22, 05:16   Link #8
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Most genres. I can honestly say that I'm not a strong fighting/RTS gamer, but I do possess some skill in the former of those two.

Most played though, hmm. I've pumped quite a few hours into Oblivion/Fallout 3, Rock Band 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Chrono Trigger, Battletoads, Tales of Symphony/Vesperia, 999 (9 Hours, 9 Doors, 9 Persons), Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, DoDonPachi, Tetris Attack SNES, Beyond Good and Evil, Sim Theme Park, Pokemon Blue/Gold, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and many others that spawn off from that.

I think the record does go to Fallout 3- I remember getting into a big groove for that game.
Old 2011-08-22, 13:54   Link #9
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
I would say in the MMO genre, but most of them only last for 10 hours to the least before I get bored of them. RTS are my type of games so I tend to spend the majority of my time constantly finding and playing them.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote