AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-14, 16:28   Link #621
Kirarakim

I am going to agree with others and say I don't think this show is very realistic at all.

I almost hope it at least turns more like Code Geass and starts having a little comedy. The first episode was taking itself a bit too seriously with all the drama when the story itself was so over the top. Although I know it's only the first episode.

Not that I think it should be exactly like CG but I think making the mood a little lighter will help (I mean as ridiculous as CG got I could at least always enjoy it for the LULZ).

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2011-10-14 at 16:41.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 16:40   Link #622
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I mean I had a lot of problems with Code Geass but at least I could enjoy it for the LULZ.
And here I though people enjoyed it for Lelouch's trolling ability.
Old 2011-10-14, 16:49   Link #623
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

I was just watching the ep again, and noticed that during the escape scene, there are parts in which Inori seems to phase in and out of reality, like some sort of hologram. Although, the blood she spilled seemed to scan for the pursuers readily enough.

Maybe she's some sort of artificial construct/clone/entity/thing, but with the transferred consciousness of the original cat's-cradle girl in the flashback? (Or perhaps with a copy of the original girl's memories or something?)

(As an aside, I put up a social group for the show, in case anyone here's interested in that sort of thing.)
Old 2011-10-14, 16:51   Link #624
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
I am going to agree with others and say I don't think this show is very realistic at all.

I almost hope it at least turns more like Code Geass and starts having a little comedy. The first episode was taking itself a bit too seriously with all the drama when the story itself was so over the top. Although I know it's only the first episode.

Not that I think it should be exactly like CG but I think making the mood a little lighter will help (I mean as ridiculous as CG got I could at least always enjoy it for the LULZ).
I think with the school setting's and some cast like neko girls anyone can see some lighter mood will bound to happen.
Can't see why there is demand for this just after the first eps.
Old 2011-10-14, 16:59   Link #625
KKensei
Lost Member

Quote:

I don't think realism was supposed to be a focus point to this series...
KKensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 17:04   Link #626
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
And here I though people enjoyed it for Lelouch's trolling ability.

Well yeah that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
I think with the school setting's and some cast like neko girls anyone can see some lighter mood will bound to happen.
Can't see why there is demand for this just after the first eps.
I'm not demanding anything & did say it was only the 1st episode, but I do think this type of series would be better if it doesn't take itself too seriously. I obviously don't know what the series is actually going to end up doing.

Who knows it could actually end up delivering some good drama and I might actually enjoy it on a deeper level.
Old 2011-10-14, 17:04   Link #627
Xander

Or perhaps...we should say that different people enjoyed Code Geass for multiple reasons? Perish the thought!

Let's stop talking about that, however, and actually focus on the show at hand.

I don't believe Guilty Crown is or even pretends to be realistic, broadly speaking, but the atmosphere and general design sense of its world is still relatively contemporary and opts for darker tones, especially when it comes to backgrounds and objects.

This, along with a very modern fashion sense for all the nameless incidental characters, creates a mood that is quite different from other anime series that go for brighter or at least more varied colors, even those that combine both light and dark. In this sense, I can see why some people might be fooled into expecting a greater amount of realism here, influenced by certain aspects of the art, but let's put things into perspective.

Inori alone is a huge warning sign, indicating that this isn't a particularly plausible scenario. I'm guessing that her dress could have some sort of limited stealth mode, going by one scene, but even this much doesn't really justify her actions as credible from a harsh, critical point of view. I don't even know where to start nitpicking the rest.

Rather than going straight for such cynicism and falling into an endless spiral of negativity, however, I'm just taking Guilt Crown as yet another in the endless line of action / science fantasy series out there. It's entertaining and well presented, perhaps with a couple of interesting possibilities, but truly nothing that's meant to be taken with absolute seriousness instead of, for instance, assuming a more flexible position.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 17:37   Link #628
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
I was just watching the ep again, and noticed that during the escape scene, there are parts in which Inori seems to phase in and out of reality, like some sort of hologram. Although, the blood she spilled seemed to scan for the pursuers readily enough.

Maybe she's some sort of artificial construct/clone/entity/thing, but with the transferred consciousness of the original cat's-cradle girl in the flashback? (Or perhaps with a copy of the original girl's memories or something?)
Isn't it more likely that she has stealth abilities ? Which would explain why the Resistance would sent a frail looking girl to infiltrate the enemy's base and steal a supposedly well-guarded secret ?
Old 2011-10-14, 17:37   Link #629
Inori X Horizon

Quote:

...a little question.
Which Sci-fi or fantasy anime is realistic???

I don't see anything realistic in Code Geass or Fate/Zero or Shana or Full Metal Panic?

Hmm...maybe Gundam or Death Note or maybe Macross? Stein's Gate? no not really...
What is with Darker then Black? No ..I think a Contracter in a Cat is not so realistic.

Yeah, Bleach... argh stop no. I have never seen a shinigami and these BIG swords...totally unrealistic.

Full Metal Alchemist...Evangelion? Nooooo, what the hell.

Maybe Kara no Kyoukai, Elfenlied, C, Mirai Nikki, Towa no Quon, Persona 4 or what with Suzumiya Haruhi?!

I think i will stop this here...i can count endless more sci-fi, fantasy animes and no one is what you called "realistic".

Only 1 episode is out...but it looks like here are some guys who know exactly which way it will go and how this anime will end.
This is really impressive !!!
But i unfortunately don't believe fortune-tellers ...so i will watch this anime to its end because i liked it so far

Last edited by Inori X Horizon; 2011-10-14 at 17:54.
Inori X Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 17:43   Link #630
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Loved it!

Pure and simple loved it!

If I had anything to poke at it would be a niggle from before and thats the characters themselves within this setting.
I wasn't keen of "kids" leading a resistance against the "big bad" and I think thats probably gonna linger for the remainder of the series.
I'd honestly wish we had slightly older characters here but we get what we get.

It did it's job at impressing on a visaul level and that was good enough for me to say "HELL YEAH!"

Despite whatever niggles and what not I may have or pop up, I believe I'm still totally gonna love and enjoy this series and cause of that, I will consider it a great piece of anime.
Old 2011-10-14, 18:23   Link #631
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inori X Horizon View Post
...a little question.
Which Sci-fi or fantasy anime is realistic???

I think i will stop this here...i can count endless more sci-fi, fantasy animes and no one is what you called "realistic".
Now & Then Here & There

And actually I think Steins Gate does gives a sense of realism for the setting it's in. No of course no fantasy/sci-fi series is going to be completely realistic. But some series are more over the top than others in their presentation. Some series are better at making you suspend your disbelief and putting you in that setting. I don't get that from Guilty Crown Yet.

And once again I know it's only the 1st episode.

edit: Also fantasy & sci-fi are not the same as sci-fi often is in the realm of possibility.
Old 2011-10-14, 18:25   Link #632
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru Send a message via Skype™ to Ekureiru
I just found one of the images for Guilty Crown which I think is considered official artwork, not sure, but I found the style it was drawn in vaguely familiar...

Spoiler for Guilty Crown Artwork:

Spoiler for 'Vaguely Familiar' Artwork:

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Ekureiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 18:54   Link #633
hoarfrost

From the time I first heard the concept for this, I suspected it might have some nationalistic/anti-globalization/xenophobic bent to it. Unfortunately, it seems that suspicion has materialized. Foreigners invading our country and wantonly killing. Keep it classy. Quite conservative by the standards what I've come to be used to in noitaminA.

Aside from that, Guilty Crown is not as high concept as everyone seemed to be pitching it and seems to be laying on the shounen cliches very early on.

Oh well. I'll watch a couple more episodes in all fairness and probably pass on this one. This may be primarily entertainment, but I'm not the type of person who can ignore socio-political subtext for enjoyment's sake. And I suspect that I won't like the subtext of this.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 18:56   Link #634
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Well I checked out the first episode as well - the trailer really got me pumped up for it, and the production values looked amazing.

I quite enjoyed the first episode. It didn't blow me off my seat, but it is most certainly something I will follow.

I loved the character design of the lead female, and that scene were she held out the string and told Yuu to take it... Hnnngh....

The first episode sort of left the direction of the rest of the series still open, so it's hard to judge whether I'm going to enjoy it or not, but I may simply enjoy this one for the aesthetics. I just hope it doesn't become too "shonen" in nature, which may be inevitable considering the type of character the lead is, and the fairly standard situation he's gotten himself into (for a shonen)

We shall see.
Old 2011-10-14, 19:41   Link #635
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数

Quote:
sci-fi often is in the realm of possibility.
......Riiight....
Old 2011-10-14, 19:45   Link #636
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Loved it!

Pure and simple loved it!

If I had anything to poke at it would be a niggle from before and thats the characters themselves within this setting.
I wasn't keen of "kids" leading a resistance against the "big bad" and I think thats probably gonna linger for the remainder of the series.
I'd honestly wish we had slightly older characters here but we get what we get.

It did it's job at impressing on a visaul level and that was good enough for me to say "HELL YEAH!"

Despite whatever niggles and what not I may have or pop up, I believe I'm still totally gonna love and enjoy this series and cause of that, I will consider it a great piece of anime.
I find it funny that I'm focusing on, of all things, cleavage in this show. Whoever-that-singing-girl-was sure has a nice one, coupled with a nice apparel to boost.

... Uh.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 19:47   Link #637
jzmagic
flargansbog

Production value is out of this world as expected.

I don't like the main guy, Shu, though. I hope he'll stop being such a pansy as this series goes on.

And Inori is so hawt!
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 20:03   Link #638
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
......Riiight....
Yes right at least a lot of good Sci-fi. Maybe not a lot of anime Sci-fi though. Sci-fi often explores possibilities of the future. Something in Sci-fi might not be possible now but that does not mean it is impossible in the future.

Although when I said Guilty Crown felt unrealistic I didn't mean in those terms because I don't feel it is a pure Sci-fi series anyways. I meant realistic in terms of suspension if disbelief.
Old 2011-10-14, 20:09   Link #639
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数

Quote:
Yes right at least a lot of good Sci-fi. Maybe not a lot of anime Sci-fi though. Sci-fi often explores possibilities of the future. Something in Sci-fi might not be possible now but that does not mean it is impossible in the future.

Although when I said Guilty Crown felt unrealistic I didn't mean in those terms because I don't feel it is a pure Sci-fi series anyways. I meant realistic in terms of suspension if disbelief.
I'm not just talking about anime sci-fantasy or space operas.

There's plenty of other anime that isn't exactly high on the suspension of disbelief list...it's not as if this one's unique in that sense.
Old 2011-10-14, 20:17   Link #640
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post

I don't believe Guilty Crown is or even pretends to be realistic, broadly speaking, but the atmosphere and general design sense of its world is still relatively contemporary and opts for darker tones, especially when it comes to backgrounds and objects.

This, along with a very modern fashion sense for all the nameless incidental characters, creates a mood that is quite different from other anime series that go for brighter or at least more varied colors, even those that combine both light and dark.
Yeah, very well-said. This, along with the characterization of Shu and his classmates, is why Guilty Crown's first episode felt real to me.

I will concede that there are certain elements that can be nitpicked, as felix did, but the overall atmosphere of the show has that "vaguely contemporary real world" feel to it that makes it feel a bit more real to me than what would otherwise be the case.

This is one area where it is genuinely different than Code Geass.

Not better, not worse, just different.

The characters/organizations in Guilty Crown (both protagonists and antagonists) are admittedly "less fabulous" than their closest Code Geass equivalents, but by the same token they're closer to what we have in the real world because of it.

The only exception might be Inori, but I don't think that she's less realistic than C.C.

I apologize for bringing up Code Geass again, but I honestly felt it was the best way to convey my particular point here. Again, not saying it makes either show better than the other, just that this is a noteworthy difference, imo.

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig