AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Guilty Crown

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-04, 12:20   Link #1621
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Did he just obliterate the hospital facility and most likely every patient in it as well? Talk about hypocrisy.....
Well I would love to use that against him too, but arguably Gai's boyband along with the military nuts were already domolishing the place long before Shu harmed a brick.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:22   Link #1622
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Well I would love to use that against him too, but arguably Gai's boyband along with the military nuts were already domolishing the place long before Shu harmed a brick.
Well that's true....but I think swinging my big fat magic sword of doom around indiscriminately and setting off explosions left and right contributes a lot to it.....
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:23   Link #1623
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
First....awsm insert song during the scene where Shu pwns everything with that sword. Need to get it sometime....


Second....What...The...Fuck....

Did he just obliterate the hospital facility and most likely every patient in it as well? Talk about hypocrisy.....
No. The Isolation facility and hospital are two different buildings that are far away from each other. Watch the episode again when Segai brought Shu to see the hospital.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:25   Link #1624
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
No. The Isolation facility and the hospital are two different buildings that are far away from each other.
It's the one Segai was watching from?
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:25   Link #1625
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Mists
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The second half of episode 04 just kind of proves to me that anything goes in this show. Everybody kind of has superpowers now I guess and gravity guns to go with them. I guess Inori has some anti-gravity device or something and can use it to climb on top of buildings? I don't really know what went on there.

I kind of get the sense they were trying to portray the Legion of Doom in a better light this episode by showing them helping with the outbreak, but I'm not sure I really buy that they are the lesser of evils, it just seems seems impossible since they clearly enjoyed executing civilians. Shu was seriously considering switching sides, which just makes him look like a complete wishy-washy doofus who will take the easy way out of everything. This is our hero.

I guess he kind of did stuff at the end to look like he'd taken charge a bit, but that was more the scenario just being completely nuts. Like 9/10 on the Michael Bay scale of just too much crazy shit going on all at once. It was a neat sequence, but kind of random. Oh well here's to plucky rebellious youth now with superpowers versus the genocidal occupation with hearts of gold.
Oh, I missed this. Anyhow, the way you described Shu is exactly the biggest barrier for my enjoyment of the series. I don't mind just watching a show for the pretty explosions and hot girls. I mean, there's probably more ridiculous plots than this I've accepted. Tiger and Bunny had an absurd premise, but it was held up by 2 great leads that were balanced in spite of their flaws and were entertaining from moment one, and their characters were never inconsistent either. I don't expect everyone to be of the heroic kind... but.

Note that I am even fairly neutral to characters like Shinji. It takes a special blend of annoyance to get to me and it's that kind where I am completely unable to understand or relate to a character.

Shu reminds me of the protagonist from the last noitamina scifi show we saw, and he also has the same voice actor. That person, I also had an incredible urge to slap the crap out of him near the end due to his inconsistencies as a character (just someone with no will that gets driven by the plot) and yea this is not a good thing.

Lol, he also voiced Kou from Hana Saku Iroha, yet another series noted for pathetic males. (Perhaps Mari Okada should join in here) Yea, no wonder why his voice annoys me.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:28   Link #1626
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
I liked the comic book comparison as well but the problem is that while the Joker is indeed as evil as they come and Major Segai apparently is as well, major Segai is nowhere near as interesting - as fabulous - with either his thought process or his antics. Comparing a candle to the sun as sources of heat can only go so much as that they are both sources of heat alright.
__________________
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:31   Link #1627
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
As a character I have more of a problem with Inori than Shu.

Shu is nothing special yet but he can grow. But Inori has no personality. I know I know she went against orders but that isn't enough for me. It's just how she is being portrayed that bothers me. And yes maybe the point is she isn't supposed to be human, but that bothers me too. The fact that she is drawn in such a way and acts basically like a doll.

I tolerate fanservice but something about Inori as a female character really rubs me the wrong way.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:36   Link #1628
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
^ Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I liked the comic book comparison as well but the problem is that while the Joker is indeed as evil as they come and Major Segai apparently is as well, major Segai is nowhere near as interesting - as fabulous - with either his thought process or his antics. Comparing a candle to the sun as sources of heat can only go so much as that they are both sources of heat alright.
Well to be fair being overly-fabulous isn't exactly to everyone's licking. I personally enjoy more this crazy yet relatively sane personality. It's like it's more intellectual where as the joker comes off as just random evil. But then the comparison is not exactly fair to begin with. We're talking 1 episode on one side and an entire decade of history on the other.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:47   Link #1629
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
It's the one Segai was watching from?
Yup, that's the one.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:47   Link #1630
miketyson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Soul Assassin: that'd fit, see below.

Triple_R: agreed on over-reliance on mystery. Inori's "net idol" thing should be an interesting quirk -- her, of all people, singing with feeling? -- but b/c it seems like random fan service most viewers are taking it at face value. If you take that part of her at face value all that's left is the flat personality and anticipation of some eventual backstory reveal.

Spoiler for silly speculation about a 'make me stop, Shu' scene:
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:56   Link #1631
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that Major Segai = The Joker.

I brought up the Joker mainly to counter this idea that "evil villain = crappy villain".

Nothing wrong with a sympathetic antagonist, of course, but an evil villain can work too. The key is that s/he has to be a smart evil villain, who has enough depth to use manipulation, moral appeals, and philosophy to try to get to his enemies (Joker pulls this frequently on Batman, for what it's worth). He can't be evil to the point he doesn't even get social norms and values at all (this was the main problem with psycho-blondie in Episode 2, not the simple fact he was evil).


I can understand the desire for GHQ to be a little bit more nuanced or "grey", and where I find Segai useful here is the official line he's giving. At least GHQ realizes it needs to PR spin things, and cover up things, as we see with Segai's excuses (which, though not that great, aren't exactly all that bad either if you compare them to the rationale offered up by a certain President Bush for invading Iraq ).

Hell, some of what Segai said is probably standard talking points on Fox News.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 12:58   Link #1632
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Shu reminds me of the protagonist from the last noitamina scifi show we saw, and he also has the same voice actor. That person, I also had an incredible urge to slap the crap out of him near the end due to his inconsistencies as a character (just someone with no will that gets driven by the plot) and yea this is not a good thing.
Yuuki Kaji. He has yet to voice a character that Western fans haven't hated pretty intensely as far as I know. He's also been doing voice acting for Final Fantasy in roles like Hope Estheim (the wishy-washy kid that whines a whole bunch about how he wants to get revenge against Snow and has that as the majority of his character arc throughout the game) and Ace from the recent Final Fantasy Type-0. He's also the bland male lead in C3 if that's any further indications as to the types of characters he does. Also he was the wishy-washy fencing dude in Star Driver that got talked into fighting a lot by that Simone chick (the one with the only good character arc in that entire show), and he was the main character in Deadman Wonderland....so yeah he's like a black hole of uninteresting character portrayals (not necessarily uninteresting characters) that always seems to be overshadowed by plucky youthful chicks.

Still when it comes to wishy-washy characters I usually don't find him that bad. Usually they get better as the story progresses with No.6 really being the only example I can think of where his character just imploded on account of horrendously rushed scripting. The way I see it him being cast in the role keeps him from doing it instead cause let me tell you if it was Souichiro Hoshi you'd want to punch him ten times more any time Shu gets emotional or starts to cry. There's quit possibly nothing less desirable in the world than hearing Hoshi try to act like he's crying, it's possibly the worst sound in all of anime voice acting.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 13:18   Link #1633
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Mists
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yuuki Kaji. He has yet to voice a character that Western fans haven't hated pretty intensely as far as I know. He's also been doing voice acting for Final Fantasy in roles like Hope Estheim (the wishy-washy kid that whines a whole bunch about how he wants to get revenge against Snow and has that as the majority of his character arc throughout the game) and Ace from the recent Final Fantasy Type-0. He's also the bland male lead in C3 if that's any further indications as to the types of characters he does. Also he was the wishy-washy fencing dude in Star Driver that got talked into fighting a lot by that Simone chick (the one with the only good character arc in that entire show), and he was the main character in Deadman Wonderland....so yeah he's like a black hole of uninteresting character portrayals (not necessarily uninteresting characters) that always seems to be overshadowed by plucky youthful chicks.
Lol, I knew my Star Wars prequels analogy was going somewhere. Hayden Christensen of anime it seems.
Quote:
Still when it comes to wishy-washy characters I usually don't find him that bad. Usually they get better as the story progresses with No.6 really being the only example I can think of where his character just imploded on account of horrendously rushed scripting. The way I see it him being cast in the role keeps him from doing it instead cause let me tell you if it was Souichiro Hoshi you'd want to punch him ten times more any time Shu gets emotional or starts to cry. There's quit possibly nothing less desirable in the world than hearing Hoshi try to act like he's crying, it's possibly the worst sound in all of anime voice acting.
Yea, in this case, my fears might be overblown. Sion's character didn't completely fall apart until near the end. If the plot had progressed differently, I wouldn't have ended up hating him and feeling disdain towards his successor here. So there's definitely a chance of something as long as they do something productive.

Though it pains me to say that Nezumi and Sion are a way more interesting duo than Shu and Inori atm.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 13:19   Link #1634
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Yuki Kaji didn't voice the MC from Deadman Wonderland, he voiced Yo Takami, and I thought he played that role rather well.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 13:33   Link #1635
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Yuki Kaji didn't voice the MC from Deadman Wonderland, he voiced Yo Takami, and I thought he played that role rather well.
Yeah,almost the only thing where I didn't hate him.Poku Rami voiced the lead.

There's also the "male loli" role he had in spirit girl Zakuro beause it was a fun side character (the anime is directed by Chiaki Kon and written by Mari Okada)

I've warmed up to Shu,but still can't stand Yuki Kaji,he was the one thing I was dreading coming into this.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 14:02   Link #1636
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
Hmm ... well, watched ep 4 and liked it. Story is picking up some!

7.5/10 vote for me for the ep.

Kinda liked seeing Shu "snapping" ... and yes, the action scenes were quite something.... And yes, I also wonder if Inori is not quite "human", or something "more" than one....
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 14:05   Link #1637
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Human experimentation, just like the Apocalypse virus.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 14:18   Link #1638
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyakka Ryoran
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Preview for the 5th episode:
Iby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 14:21   Link #1639
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Well at least he's not going back to school...

Just to clarify was that last line "Where did Inori and Gai go?"? and is he complaining about Gai being a hard ass?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 14:39   Link #1640
klare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
i still think the animations and actions are good, unfortunately those are the only good things i found in this series
__________________
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.