AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-13, 03:20   Link #1
Unclouded

Send a message via AIM to Unclouded
Smile Anime with lots of physical action not a lot of talking

Basically that's it. Looking for anime with strong sound production quality where the visuals and physical actions of the characters do the heavy lifting of the story and not too much has to be said.... forgive me if this was posted somewhere here sometime before
Old 2011-06-13, 12:20   Link #2
Elegance

Ugh its kind of hard to find a anime that doesnt have a lot of talking.
By physical action u mean no magic right?
Try Samurai Champloo (Sword fighting) Great fighting scenes
Tsubasa Chronicles- (Sword and physical fighting) Theres talking but i think every episode has fighting besides the first 3 episodes.

Lol thats all i know of Sorry. :P unless you want to try Cowboy Bebop But theres more talking involved.
Old 2011-06-13, 14:32   Link #3
kitten320

Maybe Sword of a Stranger, there is quiet a lot of talking but once action starts, they actually go at it.
Old 2011-06-13, 15:16   Link #4
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

Seconding Cowboy Bebop and Sword of the Stranger, although it should be noted that the former takes on a lot of different moods and styles.

The main character of s-CRY-ed pretty much solves all his problems by punching the crap out of them, so go for it. And try not to let the title fool you, but Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and A's is surprisingly GAR and often called a fusion between the Magical Girl and Super Robot genres. The first season takes four episodes to get things rolling, but from there onward you're in the clear.
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Old 2011-06-14, 21:27   Link #5
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

You could try Gurren Lagann, one of my most favorite action anime. There is gorgeously animated action in nearly every episode and a great majority of the talking scenes are quick, simplistic in nature, and don't bog down the show. And the music editing is amazing.

Canaan is probably a good choice for your criteria as well. It's basically a summer action blockbuster movie in TV anime form. Animation is done by PA Works and it's fantastic.

Being an obviously kid's show, Heroman has a plot that's as thick as cardboard. This also reflects in the dialogue, which is extremely simple and to the point. This may be a bit too slow-paced and full of cliches, but the animation is constantly polished and the show improves a lot towards the end.

In Ninja Scroll, the plot is just an excuse to get to the next action sequence. Check this one out. It's just a movie, and although the story is banal, the action can be quite creative and fun.

All that said, there are tons of anime out there that benefit greatly from being dialogue-oriented. There is only so much you can do with a lot of action and shallow dialogue, so whenever you can you should delve into the more 'talkative' anime. You'd be surprised at how many masterpieces you can find among them.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Old 2011-06-14, 22:18   Link #6
Haladflire65
*Artist

I second Sword of the Stranger and Gurren-Lagann

Also, you can try the Hellsing Ultimate OVA series... this whole series is basically gory action... and maybe series like Soul Eater, Trigun or Sengoku Basara? Not 100% sure about these.
Old 2011-06-14, 22:33   Link #7
qwertyuiopz

sengoku basara
Old 2011-06-15, 18:43   Link #8
GreatTeacherKen

OP,

Do you mean like a series that has a lot of action scenes or any series, regardless of genre, that has minimal dialogue, relying more on characters' expressions/body language, music, and imagery to tell the story?

People so far have mostly suggested series that embody the former.

For the latter, there's the short anime Comedy/Kigeki (it's not a comedy, but'll the title will make sense once you've seen it), which has no dialogue whatsoever besides narration, and uses music and visuals to set the tone.

Noir, fits both the former and latter. There's plenty of shootouts in the series, and the non-action scenes tend to have sparse dialogue.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:23   Link #9
Unclouded

Send a message via AIM to Unclouded
"or any series, regardless of genre, that has minimal dialogue, relying more on characters' expressions/body language, music, and imagery to tell the story?"

-GreatTeacherKen thankyou very much you understood exactly what i was talking about! thank you for your suggestions!

-qwertyuiopz (nice name easy to type lol) thanks for the suggestion i watched sengoku basara and while it may not have been what i was originally looking for i had a lot of fun watching it and it definitely pushes the action forward!

-Haladflire65 i definitely have seen GL (one of my all-time favorites) but the other two i don't recognize thank you for your suggestions

sword of a stranger looks good too, thanks kitten320

I am continually amazed at how helpful you guys are when it comes to suggestions, thanks for your help!
Old 2011-09-08, 02:51   Link #10
calorie

Claymore fits the description, though I prefer the manga to anime.
Old 2011-09-09, 10:37   Link #11
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Texhnolyze and Shigurui might fit the bill with their impeccable sound direction and visual designs. Tense and meditative, with sparse dialogue (none at all in Texhnolyze's first episode even) that takes full advantage of their controlled animation and cinematography.
Closed Thread