AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-25, 06:20   Link #2241
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
haha. You will cultivate crops, make water, and produce oxygen there?
In time, yes.

Quote:
I believe that's not their original plan. Their plan is sending people there for explorations, and not make this kind of imagination. They will send people to know more about Mars, to discover more that a machine can't do, not sending people to build stuffs there for human survival because there aren't any technology capable of doing that.
The technology to grow crops, melt ice, and extract oxygen all exist.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 06:23   Link #2242
Kimidori
Let's Play
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
requote in case he missed it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
My point is to know more about Mars, make a definite study that will convince people that it's not a wasteland or something that people can't survive. What I mean is, they should see to it that atleast it's habitable in a way that they won't be needing Earth resources such as food and water. We are talking about people that will live in a place wherein life is impossible (atleast as of this moment). What's the purpose of sending them there (considering they are about to live there) if they can't even survive there without the aid of Earth resources? We are talking about a planet wherein life is IMPOSSIBLE. If your point is exploration, or anything that is a stepping stone? Man, the air alone is unbreathable, no water, no food. What's the plan then? Ask resources from Earth?
with a bunch of machine people sent to Mars we have already know most there is to know about Mars, not only the surface but even about the already dead core of the planet. (no magnetic field)

and you should watch this vid first.



it tell you about their motivation, and also how they plan to send machine to build the settlement first THEN send human there.

about self-sustaining, quote from Mars One website.


Quote:
Within the settlement are inflatable components which contain bedrooms, working areas, a living room and a 'plant production unit', where they will grow greenery. They will also be able to shower as normal, prepare fresh food (that they themselves grew and harvested) in the kitchen, wear regular clothes, and, in essence, lead typical day-to-day lives.
and just in case, there are water on Mars in ice from, they just need to de-frost it to drink.

and they send people their to LIVE their entire life on it, or in other word colonize, not explore and die.

full quote from their website

Quote:
Life on Mars

Once they arrive on Mars, the astronauts will begin making use of their relatively spacious living units; over 50 m2 per person, and a total of more than 200 m2 combined interior space.

Within the settlement are inflatable components which contain bedrooms, working areas, a living room and a 'plant production unit', where they will grow greenery. They will also be able to shower as normal, prepare fresh food (that they themselves grew and harvested) in the kitchen, wear regular clothes, and, in essence, lead typical day-to-day lives.

If the astronauts leave the settlement, they have to wear a Mars Suit. However, all living spaces are connected by passageways, in order for the astronauts to move freely from one end of the settlement to the other. As the rovers have done much of the heavy construction prior to their arrival, it will not take the astronauts a long time to find routine in their new life, moving into carrying out valuable construction works and research.
__________________
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 06:35   Link #2243
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
I would be more concerned about the psychological dangers. People already go looney on Earth during dark winters, and that's with readily available phones and other forms of social contact. Four people "stuck" together for two years? With no easy access to therapists? Just what is their plan to prevent them colonists from going stir-crazy?

Eh?
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 06:37   Link #2244
SummeryDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
with a bunch of machine people sent to Mars we have already know most there is to know about Mars, not only the surface but even about the already dead core of the planet. (no magnetic field)

and you should watch this vid first.



it tell you about their motivation, and also how they plan to send machine to build the settlement first THEN send human there.

about self-sustaining, quote from Mars One website.




and just in case, there are water on Mars in ice from, they just need to de-frost it to drink.

and they send people their to LIVE their entire life on it, or in other word colonize, not explore and die.

full quote from their website
Well, it's not yet sure about where to get the water. Anyway, those machinery are still Earth made, what I mean about Mars being habitable is for them to make a life with just something that they can get only at Mars. If these stuffs that they've built will be broke? or get destroyed by some other means? What's next? If they can figure out something that they could still survive not relying on an Earth made tool. then that would be really good. That ice thing would be a great example, if it's true then atleast they can survive with water. What about the thin air Mars do have? Where will they get the o2 that they will be needing?
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 06:38   Link #2245
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Mars is actually full of water, so much that they can be found right on the surface as frost during cold mornings.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 06:55   Link #2246
SummeryDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Mars is actually full of water, so much that they can be found right on the surface as frost during cold mornings.
This is still a theory, it hasn't been proven yet. They don't know as well what is the composition of this ice, the pH, and other stuffs. Still unknown, though it's a good possibility.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 07:07   Link #2247
Kimidori
Let's Play
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
This is still a theory, it hasn't been proven yet. They don't know as well what is the composition of this ice, the pH, and other stuffs. Still unknown, though it's a good possibility.
it been proven by machines we sent there, not a theory.
__________________
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 07:12   Link #2248
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
it been proven by machines we sent there, not a theory.
For a comprehensive read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I would be more concerned about the psychological dangers. People already go looney on Earth during dark winters, and that's with readily available phones and other forms of social contact. Four people "stuck" together for two years? With no easy access to therapists? Just what is their plan to prevent them colonists from going stir-crazy?

Eh?
That is easy. Arm them.

Joking. Seriously though, that is a pretty valid concern because a bunch of people being left alone with little or no survival experience sounds like a bad idea, and might degenerate into a Darwinian society in no time.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 07:38   Link #2249
SummeryDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
it been proven by machines we sent there, not a theory.
But you've said 'Just incase there is ice there'. By the way, I thought Mars' ice are still buried beneath? I'm still willing to learn more about the planet though. All articles I've read is mostly 'no one can survive there' facts.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 07:39   Link #2250
SummeryDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
For a comprehensive read.



That is easy. Arm them.

Joking. Seriously though, that is a pretty valid concern because a bunch of people being left alone with little or no survival experience sounds like a bad idea, and might degenerate into a Darwinian society in no time.
There are actually people who doesn't mind being alone, like for real. The thing is, will they be physically fit for the mission.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 07:41   Link #2251
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Well the latest facts as SaintessHeart has provided told us that water is everywhere on Mars.

In fact water is very common in our solar system, there is more water out there in space than on Earth.

Comets, Europa, Kuiper belt objects, even Mercury was found to contain water ice.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 07:45   Link #2252
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Would need someone their to tend the plants. While there are robots in agriculture it still uses a lot of human labor and tending despite the amount of automation. Someone would need to start the process on Mars so that later colonist will have a better place to live.
My thinking isn't to start with agricultural plants, but basic plant life. Grasses, shrubs, trees... assuming that they can take a foothold and don't evolve to produce gases in a composition that doesn't match Earth, it would start the terraforming process. In theory a better way to terraform would be to induce an ocean of some sort, though. Even on Earth, the ocean (more specifically, the phytoplankton in the ocean) is credited with the majority of oxygen production.

Atmosphere aside, if forests can grow on the planet then there would be another benefit. Humans would have a source of wood for construction and basic fuel. That would reduce their reliance on supplies from Earth, allowing for only the critical supplies to be transported. Without it, expansion of the settlements would be constrained by what was being shipped from Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
They will send people to know more about Mars, to discover more that a machine can't do, not sending people to build stuffs there for human survival because there aren't any technology capable of doing that.
What could a human discover that a machine could not? If anything, the machines can discover even more. A human can't analyze the soil composition or accurately measure humidity.

The experiments in self-sufficiency have already been done. The idea is that humans live in a self-contained dome with select plant and insect species. The plants provide a source of food and also handle carbon dioxide removal and oxygen production. In the USA we had the Biosphere 2 facility (which I briefly did some research at; it's a really amazing facility to walk through). Russia had a similar experiment of their own, but I can't remember what it was called. People were locked inside for a period of months to assess the viability (self-sufficiency and psychology). It wasn't a perfect experiment, but it's a very neat starting point.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 07:47   Link #2253
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
There are actually people who doesn't mind being alone, like for real. The thing is, will they be physically fit for the mission.
Not true. Have you seen how the Ranger course and the survival phase of the Royal Marine Commando course is run? Or to be more accurate, Combat Diver School?

They take in the most willing and turn them into "Supermen". Not everyone started out fit; there will probably be Selection to minimise medical baggage on board the ship. Then they will be trained to work together.

Another obvious piece of news :

Don’t give up your eyes for an iPhone : How to hold your phone so it doesn’t (completely) wreck your vision
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-08-25 at 09:29.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 10:51   Link #2254
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I would be more concerned about the psychological dangers. People already go looney on Earth during dark winters, and that's with readily available phones and other forms of social contact. Four people "stuck" together for two years? With no easy access to therapists? Just what is their plan to prevent them colonists from going stir-crazy?

Eh?
Friday night orgies will take care of any psychological.

just don't issue any of the colonist a red shirt an it is all good to go.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 10:57   Link #2255
SummeryDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Not true. Have you seen how the Ranger course and the survival phase of the Royal Marine Commando course is run? Or to be more accurate, Combat Diver School?

They take in the most willing and turn them into "Supermen". Not everyone started out fit; there will probably be Selection to minimise medical baggage on board the ship. Then they will be trained to work together.

Another obvious piece of news :

Donít give up your eyes for an iPhone : How to hold your phone so it doesnít (completely) wreck your vision
Damn, I've got 500 in my right eye and 550 in my left as of the moment. I have my iPhone and is facing it the whole time around texting, and an HDTV a meter and half away from me as my laptop's monitor connected via HDMI. No wonder my myopia is worsening. xD
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 11:15   Link #2256
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
And since they will have a communications satelite in Mars orbit as the first thing there, it is likely they will have internet coverage most of the time...if a bit delayed due to distance. Eight or more minutes of lag and potenal interferance from the sun on days when it is between Earth and Mars.

And since they call this a media event, there will likely be a Mars One Channel.

My only concern in the inflatible nature of their habitat. How well do these hold up to weather? Sand storms and the like. They are hopefully strong enough to prevent human error in them accidentily puncturing their homes. Though if I recall there is a project for an orbital space hotel using similar inflatible habitats, Mars being probably a tiny bit safer than space.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 11:18   Link #2257
SummeryDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
And since they will have a communications satelite in Mars orbit as the first thing there, it is likely they will have internet coverage most of the time...if a bit delayed due to distance. Eight or more minutes of lag and potenal interferance from the sun on days when it is between Earth and Mars.

And since they call this a media event, there will likely be a Mars One Channel.

My only concern in the inflatible nature of their habitat. How well do these hold up to weather? Sand storms and the like. They are hopefully strong enough to prevent human error in them accidentily puncturing their homes. Though if I recall there is a project for an orbital space hotel using similar inflatible habitats, Mars being probably a tiny bit safer than space.
Thanks for the information.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 11:37   Link #2258
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
More than the structures, I'm worried about the people who will embark on this journey. Suppose one of them develops a disease due to the climate change or gets involved in an accident that requires surgical treatment - will there be a unit for emergency treatment for such occasions?
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 11:39   Link #2259
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
The habitats will probably be supplied by ILC Dover which has been doing stuff with NASA for decades.

The project I was thinking about was Bigelow Aerospace and their space stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
More than the structures, I'm worried about the people who will embark on this journey. Suppose one of them develops a disease due to the climate change or gets involved in an accident that requires surgical treatment - will there be a unit for emergency treatment for such occasions?
Risk is something one has to do at some point in space exploration. If nothing else they will have the world's best online less than a hour away. Though only to consult.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 21:12   Link #2260
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Archaeologists use drones in Peru to map and protect sites
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97O02O20130825
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.