AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-10-31, 16:19   Link #2501
Ithekro
Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Speaking of frigate, is it me or they also seem to disappear, like the cruiser ?
I can imagine the Freedom and Independance-class ships will be reclassified as frigates once the last of the Oliver Hazard Perry-class ships are retired.
Old 2013-10-31, 22:06   Link #2502
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I can imagine the Freedom and Independance-class ships will be reclassified as frigates once the last of the Oliver Hazard Perry-class ships are retired.
In the computer sim at:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/c47b367a1de2

The LCS didn't fare too well. Maybe they should be reclassified as targets.

Seriously though, that ship needs a weapon for fighting enemy ships larger than
speedboats.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-01, 14:45   Link #2503
AnimeFan188

Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works reveals a Mach 6 strike successor of SR-71
Blackbird dubbed SR-72:

"It looks like Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works, the legendary division that designed
airplanes which represented a giant leap for their times such as the F-104, the U-2, the
Blackbird family or the F-117A stealth fighter jet, has eventually revelead to AW&ST’s
Guy Norris the existence of a project for an Hypersonic strike aircraft dubbed SR-72.

“After years of silence on the subject, Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works has revealed
exclusively to AW&ST details of long-running plans for what it describes as an
affordable hypersonic intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) and strike
platform that could enter development in demonstrator form as soon as 2018.
Dubbed the SR-72, the twin-engine aircraft is designed for a Mach 6 cruise, around
twice the speed of its forebear, and will have the optional capability to strike targets.”"

See:

http://theaviationist.com/2013/11/01/sr-72-unveiled/

&

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article....632731.xml&p=1

Old 2013-11-05, 01:05   Link #2504
Shyni

Extinct Godzilla platypus discovered:

Quote:
Sydney (AFP) - A giant extinct species of the platypus with powerful teeth has been discovered in Australia, with a scientist on Tuesday describing the duck-billed water animal as a "Godzilla" like monster.
Sounds like the significance is that they're learning more about the platypus evolution tree.

Quote:
"Discovery of this new species was a shock to us because prior to this, the fossil record suggested that the evolutionary tree of platypuses was a relatively linear one," Archer explained in a statement.

"Now we realize that there were unanticipated side branches on this tree, some of which became gigantic."
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 09:42   Link #2505
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Russia sending Sochi Olympics torch into space
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-05-08-56-20

India launches first mission to Mars
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-05-09-08-43

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 13:04   Link #2506
AnimeFan188

China shows off moon rover model before space launch:

"China offered a rare glimpse into its secretive space programme on Tuesday,
displaying a model of a lunar rover that will explore the moon's surface in an upcoming
mission.

Beijing has ambitious space goals, including plans to send its first probe to land on the
moon by the end of this year, state media reported in August.

The gold-coloured rover model, with six wheels and wing-like solar panels, attracted
admiring crowds at the opening of the China International Industry Fair in Shanghai."

See:

http://www.france24.com/en/20131105-...e-space-launch
Old 2013-11-08, 12:42   Link #2507
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Apple, Samsung, Foundries Key to 3D ICs

So when will be renaming our computer chips nanochips?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 19:17   Link #2508
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Apple, Samsung, Foundries Key to 3D ICs

So when will be renaming our computer chips nanochips?
I dont know, why would we?

This article is basically about "everything on die" solutions (like e.g. memory packed directly next to the GPU/CPU). The advantage of this (if you can manage to get the heat out of the more densly packed chip archtitectures) is that you can devise faster interconnections between the components.

The problem is... how do you produce that stuff? Every major company holds patents/expertise in its respective market segment (or field of expertise). E.g. NVidia would have lots of GPU related patents/expertise, while e.g. Micron holds many DRAM/memory related patents/expertise. Now in order to produce these highly packed chips (e.g. DRAM + GPU packed on one die (stacked)), you would need both companies operate in a joint venture, because the process of creating such chips cannot be split, the whole manafacturing process must be in the same factory.

However, in order to make this a reality, a company like Micron now cannot sell its DRAM directly to the end consumer (produced in few highly centralized factories that produce a one fits all standard DRAM), but to NVidia, AMD/ATI, Intel, TI, IBM... and in each of their customer's factories they had to have the full equipement and the staff that can operate the equipement. And they cannot have the one fits all solution either, because each chip design requires an adapted memory design. Obviously this will come at a price.

And imo this is the main obstacle to the "everything on die" solution (even though it makes sense from a technological point of view - as of today, its a nightmare manufacturing wise).

Now, to come back to your question... Do you think this classifies a chip design as a "nanochip"? I googled the disambigous term, just to find out, that none of the many possible definitions fits anything in the article.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 21:36   Link #2509
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I dont know, why would we?

This article is basically about "everything on die" solutions (like e.g. memory packed directly next to the GPU/CPU). The advantage of this (if you can manage to get the heat out of the more densly packed chip archtitectures) is that you can devise faster interconnections between the components.

The problem is... how do you produce that stuff? Every major company holds patents/expertise in its respective market segment (or field of expertise). E.g. NVidia would have lots of GPU related patents/expertise, while e.g. Micron holds many DRAM/memory related patents/expertise. Now in order to produce these highly packed chips (e.g. DRAM + GPU packed on one die (stacked)), you would need both companies operate in a joint venture, because the process of creating such chips cannot be split, the whole manafacturing process must be in the same factory.

However, in order to make this a reality, a company like Micron now cannot sell its DRAM directly to the end consumer (produced in few highly centralized factories that produce a one fits all standard DRAM), but to NVidia, AMD/ATI, Intel, TI, IBM... and in each of their customer's factories they had to have the full equipement and the staff that can operate the equipement. And they cannot have the one fits all solution either, because each chip design requires an adapted memory design. Obviously this will come at a price.

And imo this is the main obstacle to the "everything on die" solution (even though it makes sense from a technological point of view - as of today, its a nightmare manufacturing wise).

Now, to come back to your question... Do you think this classifies a chip design as a "nanochip"? I googled the disambigous term, just to find out, that none of the many possible definitions fits anything in the article.
I was meaning that we can make smaller chips, given that now we can stack things in a different dimension, we can pack more things together on a smaller surface area. Micro is an indicator of size, progressing onto nano then pico.

I am not an electrical engineer, so I am just applying rudimentary knowledge onto that article. Manufacturing-wise, we need someone, probably with enough power from the government, to initiate a joint venture in the name of technological advance for both companies.

Or until someone finds a way to ditch our current methods for manufacturing ICs.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-11-08, 23:13   Link #2510
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Hubble spots strange asteroid with 6 tails of dust
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-07-14-22-18

Scientists expect satellite crash next week
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-08-12-56-56

Old 2013-11-08, 23:28   Link #2511
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Hubble spots strange asteroid with 6 tails of dust
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-07-14-22-18
It's them... Aliens!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 07:31   Link #2512
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I was meaning that we can make smaller chips, given that now we can stack things in a different dimension, we can pack more things together on a smaller surface area. Micro is an indicator of size, progressing onto nano then pico.

I am not an electrical engineer, so I am just applying rudimentary knowledge onto that article. Manufacturing-wise, we need someone, probably with enough power from the government, to initiate a joint venture in the name of technological advance for both companies.

Or until someone finds a way to ditch our current methods for manufacturing ICs.
Well, technically our chips are already "nano" chips since the semiconductor manufacturing processes being used currently are somewhere between 45 and 14 nanometers. So yeah, we're pretty much already using nanochips

3D ICs on the other hand are very interesting indeed. From what I know (and don't quote me on this, I dropped out of electrical engineering and moved to software ) current circuits are made using different two-dimensional layers where the lines are engraved. Think of it like laying down pipes: you could just lay down pipes horizontally on the floors and then connect them via a single pipe on the outside walls of the building or you could use the inside walls of the house to move them up and down as needed. I know it's not a very good analogy but I'm not very good at doing them. Call I can say is that I'm really curious to see what the engineers come up with to exploit the advantages of having three dimensions to play with.

Also: I wouldn't worry too much on the chip technology development front. Intel in particular has been relentless at improving manufacturing capabilities. They are so ahead of the curve (and keep pushing on) that they even managed to put the highly inefficient x86 platform at the level where you can have successful cellphones powered by Atom processors! Less than 5 years ago everyone would call you insane to try and power a full blown PC CPU using the small batteries and thermal envelopes available in cellphones.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 10:04   Link #2513
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
3D ICs on the other hand are very interesting indeed...
Though the article was mainly about 2.5D designs which is not quite the same.

Quote:
From what I know (and don't quote me on this, I dropped out of electrical engineering and moved to software ) current circuits are made using different two-dimensional layers where the lines are engraved. Think of it like laying down pipes: you could just lay down pipes horizontally on the floors and then connect them via a single pipe on the outside walls of the building or you could use the inside walls of the house to move them up and down as needed. I know it's not a very good analogy but I'm not very good at doing them. Call I can say is that I'm really curious to see what the engineers come up with to exploit the advantages of having three dimensions to play with.
I still quote you ^-^. You basically can do 4 things in chip manufacturing:

1) Doping parts of the die, so they are either p- or n-semiconductors
2) Apply some sort of metal on the die and use litography and a primer and some sort of acid to get the surface metal structured
3) Use the primer and litography and certain solutions on the die to etch structures directly into the semiconductor.
4) Use mechanical devices to remove surface layers on the die (grinding).

What you would need for a real 3D chip-design, is being able to grow new semiconductor layers (silicon with a very high purity) on already processed layers of the die. So you could use the steps 1)-4) on them.

In 2.5D chip design, the process is more like packing a layer of thin die slices on top of each other and connect them - in such a design, each layer is basically a standalone 2D unit.

Quote:
Also: I wouldn't worry too much on the chip technology development front. Intel in particular has been relentless at improving manufacturing capabilities. They are so ahead of the curve (and keep pushing on) that they even managed to put the highly inefficient x86 platform at the level where you can have successful cellphones powered by Atom processors! Less than 5 years ago everyone would call you insane to try and power a full blown PC CPU using the small batteries and thermal envelopes available in cellphones.
The idea of a everything on die solution is appealing for several reasons:

- more performance
- less material needed
- more compact design
- lower energy consumption

But it also has a drawback, you can only have certain premanufactured specs. So when you want to customize your "everything on a die" PC you have to replace everything. Unless you go the IBM way of the Power-PC chip design:

They sell everyone the 4 core chip. But they have a software on the chip that can deactivate 2 or 3 cores. That means, you can easily upgrade your existing chip to 4 cores, because it was manufactured with 4 cores, even though it was sold as 1 core chip - all you have to do is, buy more cores, and an IBM service technician will enable the additional cores for you.

But imagine a joint venture of Intel + NVidia + Gigabyte + Micron would develop chips that are by definition "everything on die" PCs with the maximum hardware capabilities only limited by software. I think software piracy today shows, that this is not gonna work as a business model.

So if the way of the "everything on die" PCs is to be taken, you can expect few standard designs sold by the joint ventures. Typically you would need to sell these standard designs in high numbers too (e.g. everyone has the same iPad equivalent as a PC). Now, I am not sure if I am the only one who doesnt like that idea very much.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 21:03   Link #2514
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Experimental avian flu vaccine shows promise in early trial
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9AC17P20131113

Old 2013-11-16, 20:54   Link #2515
AnimeFan188

Meet the Super-Fast, Radar-Jamming, Unnervingly Intelligent Missiles of 2030:

"Rather than risk people and valuable airplanes, why not just let the missile do the
work? It's getting easier to pack missiles full of fuel and electronics, making them
more like miniature drones than the old dumb-bombs. Some missiles, like Raytheon's
new MALD-J, contain small radar jammers and can be fired almost 600 miles from the
target.

Future versions could have electronic surveillance equipment, sending data back
home, or even the means to inject viruses into computer networks. Also look
forward to things like the Israeli IAI Harop, a hybrid missile/UAV that can circle
overhead for long periods of time, waiting for a whiff of electronic scent and guiding
itself in."

See:

http://killerapps.foreignpolicy.com/...ssiles_of_2030
Old 2013-11-16, 21:12   Link #2516
AnimeFan188

Scientists Shatter Quantum Computing Bit Life Record By Over Ten Times:

"Quantum computing will change our world. But currently, it's just about impossible.
Qubits, the bits that power quantum computing, require crazy-cold temps to create,
and they only survive about 3 minutes at room temp. Now, a research team has
made room-temp qubits last for 39 minutes. That's monumental."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-shatte...-by-1465736977
Old 2013-11-18, 16:15   Link #2517
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

NASA LAUNCHES ORBITER TO MARS

Full Article Here

Quote:
(Reuters) - An unmanned Atlas 5 rocket blasted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida on Monday, sending a Mars orbiter on its way to study how the planet most like Earth in the solar system lost its water.

Unlike previous Mars probes, the Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution Mission, or MAVEN, will not be looking at or landing on the planet's dry, dusty surface. Instead, MAVEN will scan and sample what remains of the thin Martian atmosphere and watch in real-time how it is peeled away, molecule by molecule, by killer solar radiation.

The first step of the planned year-long, $671 million mission was getting MAVEN into space. The satellite, tucked inside a protective nosecone, lifted off aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket at 1:28 p.m. EST/1838 GMT to begin a 10-month flight to Mars.

United Launch Alliance is a partnership of Boeing and Lockheed Martin.

Upon arrival, MAVEN will fire its braking rocket to put itself into a highly elliptical orbit around Mars, which will allow it to dip down as close as about 65 miles from the ground to gather air samples for analysis.

At its highest point, MAVEN will be about 3,728 miles away, a vantage point for measuring how much and what types of radiation are sweeping past the planet from the sun and cosmic sources.

The point of the project is to determine how much of the atmosphere is being lost to space today and extrapolate back in time to figure out what was happening in Mars' past.

EARTH'S LOST TWIN?

In the 49 years since NASA's Mariner 4 spacecraft flew by Mars for the first time, an increasingly more sophisticated series of orbiters, landers and rovers have amassed solid evidence that the fourth planet from the sun was once much more like Earth, with oceans, rivers, rain and snow.

"We see a lot of evidence for liquid water having flowed over the surface in ancient times. We see river channels, features that look like there have been lakes inside of impact craters. We see minerals that form only in the presence of liquid water," said lead scientist Bruce Jakosky, with the University of Colorado at Boulder.

"All of these suggest that there has been water on the planet early in time and today of course we see a cold, dry, desert-like planet," he said.

Figuring out what happened to Mars' climate hinges on learning what happened to the planet's water and the once-thick atmosphere needed to keep Mars warm enough for surface water.

The information also is expected to help scientists home in on when in Mars' history it may have been most suitable for life to evolve.

NASA's ongoing Curiosity rover mission is scouting for potential habitats that could have supported microbial life.

"Water is a requirement for life and if we understand where the water has been and why it's not there anymore we can learn more about what the history of the potential for life has been," Jakosky said.

There are two options for where the planet's missing water and atmosphere went: down into the ground or up into space.

Scientists know some of the planet's carbon dioxide ended up on the surface and joined with minerals in the crust. But so far, the ground inventory is not large enough to account for the early, thick atmosphere Mars would have needed to support water on its surface.

MAVEN is designed to explore the other option, that the water and atmosphere were lost into space, a process that began about 4 billion years ago when the planet's protective magnetic field mysteriously turned off.

"The sun, the solar wind can drive processes that remove gas from the top of the atmosphere. We want to understand whether the sun was able to remove gas from the top of the atmosphere and how much," Jakosky said.

MAVEN is due to reach Mars on September 22, 2014 - two days before India's Mars Orbiter Mission, which launched on November 5. India's probe has been raising its orbit around Earth and should be in position on December 1 to begin the journey to Mars.

Old 2013-11-18, 17:03   Link #2518
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Five more arrested in $45 million cybercrime scheme
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9AH0YZ20131118

Arizona sets precedent for solar systems with new monthly fee
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9AD15920131115

Old 2013-11-21, 00:15   Link #2519
AnimeFan188

The Stuxnet Worm Had an Evil Secret Twin:

"It's been over three years since the discovery of the Stuxnet worm, but new
revelations continue to trickle out from the cybersecurity community. Actually, this
latest one is more of a torrent than a trickle: Turns out Stuxnet had an evil secret
twin.

An in-depth report just published in Foreign Policy details the origins of the
original Stuxnet variant, a more sophisticated and potentially more powerful
worm that infected Iran's nuclear facilities as early as 2007.

Like the worm that first entered public consciousness later, in 2010, the older
Stuxnet twin targeted the centrifuges at the Natanz uranium-enrichment plant,
but it did so in a much more clandestine fashion. This OG Stuxnet blocked the
outflow of gas from the cascades of centrifuges, causing pressure to build up and
the equipment to become damaged. It even masked the attack by looping 21
seconds of the system's sensor values so that the engineers at the facility
wouldn't realize anything was wrong."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/the-stuxnet-worm-...win-1468196549
Old 2013-11-22, 22:14   Link #2520
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

European satellites launched to eye Earth's magnetic field
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9AL0PF20131122

U.S. warship hit by technical glitch in Singapore