AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-14, 18:25   Link #1
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Games for PSP

Now that I've gone through most of the games that were suggested in my ancient '' Games for DSi '' thread, it's time for a new one. I bought PSP two days ago (yay for -50% offer that I had to wait 4 hours for in a line >.<), and I know absolutely nothing about PSP's or the games available for it, other than Valkyria Chronicles and BRS which both I am interested in.

Anything goes for now, I guess. There's not particularly any games I hate so just suggest away. Casual games, action games, JRPG's, driving games and so on, everything goes. But I am mostly interested in JRPG's though. If you know any I should play, and if that said game is available either in english, or fantranslated, please let me know of it.

I'm moving out tomorrow so I'll check the suggestions and try the games out earliest on Friday, so I'll reply back then and review some of the suggestions. Thanks in advance, and cookies will be served for some
Old 2011-06-14, 18:44   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

DJ Max - A great music/rhythm series on the PSP. I would check out Portable 2, Hot Tunes, or Clazziquai.

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection - A good version of a classic FF game... if you're interested in that.

Half-Minute Hero - An RPG parody where you're set down on a small map with random monster battles, towns, and a final boss' castle... and given 30 second to beat the "game"...over and over again. Various other mechanics involved; a unique game that might or might not appeal to you.

LocoRoco 1/2 - Extremely cute platformers where you bounce jiggly blobs using the R buttons. The first is longer; the second is more densely packed with content.

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony - Good port of a classic RPG... my biggest niggle is that the background music fades out when loading.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - An engrossing game if you can get into it. Finally taking down a monster can be very satisfying. Sort of feels like an offline MMO.

PANGYA: Fantasy Golf - A nice arcade golf game. Far better than Hot Shots IMHO because of the anime-style characters and more interesting collectibles.

Persona 3 Portable - Probably the best JRPG on the system... though the whole dating/social/high school thing might not appeal to one looking for a more traditional RPG.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together -The best SRPG on the system.

WipEout Pulse - The best racing game on the system.
Old 2011-06-14, 20:07   Link #3
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

I 2nd Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection and Persona 3

Dissidia Final Fantasy - great action RPG series that def worth it, especially if your a fan of FF.

Hard to really recommend anything else as other games I like are more for the hardcore fans of their respective series, like Dynasty Warriors or Dead or Alive: Paradise()

While there are alot of great new games for the PSP, if your into some retro gaming then checking out PSN would be worth a look. Pretty sure all the PSOne titles can work on the PSP, if not then should be most.
I've actually traded in alot of my PSP games bar some favs, mentioned above and just gotten old classic titles off PSN to play.

So basically all I can recommend is Dissidia Final Fantasy
Old 2011-06-14, 20:31   Link #4
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Whoa you guys didn't mention Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core?

It's simply one of the best PSP titles, a fantastic and moving story. But of course you need to have played FFVII first to really appreciate it.

Others Jrpg that I suggest are:

Phantasy Star Portable I and II. While they are connected to the storyline of PSU they are practically stand alone stories, so don't worry about that.

Jeanne D'arc A critical acclaim.

Patapon an innovative and ingenious game that combines RPG and rhytm games. You basically create your army of "patapon" giving them roles, equipments, and leveling them up and then you give them commands by pressing the PSP buttons as if it was a percussion instrument. Depending on the rhytm you play the patapon will execute different actions, depending on how well you play they'll perform better in battle.
There are two sequels.

then

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker If you like the metal gear solid series you can't miss this one, it's considered one of the best chapters.

Notable Ports of JRPGs that you might have missed on the PSX:

Final Fantasy Tactics: the war of the lions
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Tales of Eternia

Old 2011-06-14, 21:50   Link #5
AlaAlba

No one mention Legend of Heroes 6 Trails in the Sky?? JRPG you really should play.
Old 2011-06-14, 23:05   Link #6
spikexp

Wait. Nobody mention Disgaea already
Old 2011-06-15, 00:27   Link #7
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
No one mention Legend of Heroes 6 Trails in the Sky?? JRPG you really should play.
Second that, and if you're into classics, bunch of PSOne title is available for less the $10 on PS Store as well such as FFVII-FIX, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Vagrant Story.

But like other says, the remakes are all pretty good such as Persona remakes, Lunar remake and FFIV complete.

For all new titles you have Jeanne D'arc, Ys 7, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Knights of Nightmare.
Old 2011-06-15, 00:39   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Another recommendation for FFIV complete collection and FFVII:Crisis core, also adding FFI and FFII, but in case you're not so hardcore as to play three FF games that share the same style, I'll also add:
Metal Gear: Peacewalker. A MUST if you like the series, easily my favourite PSP game.
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by sleep. Another amazing title that shouldn't be missed.
Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3: decent fighting game, was as long as I wanted it to be with a good difficulty curve.
Warriors of the lost empire: old-style dungeon crawler, was a great way to pass my time when I was sick last year.
Blade Dancer: huuuuuge game, JRPG. Nuff said.
Kingdom of Paradise a.k.a. Key of Heaven: adventure game based on getting scrolls to chain combos etc, was fun...
Monster Kingdom: Jewel summoner: only for MegaTen fans.
Mana Khemia: student alliance - the PSP version of the PS2 title MK:Alchemists of Al-Revis, it is my favourite JRPG with an easy battle system, very nice music, a good enough plot and a lot of freedom as to what you can create. Bonus dungeon was insane and the super-bosses were quite challenging...if my firmware still supported it, I'd replay it any day. Has 9 possible endings.
Old 2011-06-15, 02:09   Link #9
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I don't have FFIV complete but all this talking about it makes me raise a question.

Is this version of FFIV really better than the DS version which has 3D graphic and extensive voice acting?

Because the OP said he's got a DS and if he's into FF he probably already possess this title, even if he doesn't he still has the choice.

Yeah sure the PSP version includes the sequel, but assuming you already possess the DS version is that sequel worth the price of the whole game?

Old 2011-06-15, 02:19   Link #10
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Be Warned though, that some PSP games that have been suggested here, are not available in Europe.

For one, Jeanne D'arc (Which is one of the best strategy games I've got) is not available in Europe

Another great game Brave Story, is not available in Europe either.

Dist, when you get back on Friday, send me a message and I'll post up a list of great games you could play! (And available in Europe, as I live there as well)

Off the top of my head I'll go ahead and suggest:

Phantasy Star Portable 2: It plays online as well, co-op and everything from Death match to Capture the flag.

Gods Eater Burst: Currently playing this game for the PSP and I must say, I'm blown away by the awesome storyline.
Old 2011-06-15, 02:20   Link #11
jedinat
フリーター

@Jan-Poo:
The PSP version is sort of a remastered HD version of the original game... The DS version is a goofy looking 3D remake with English voice acting (also read that the difficulty was artificially increased). You decide.

Personally I played both and got about twice as far into the PSP version before getting distracted... that's with the undub version of the DS game. (I wouldn't have made it 10 minutes into the dubbed game) I don't actually finish games these days, lol.
Old 2011-06-15, 02:28   Link #12
Dist

I'm already here Kaze, just busy with packing stuff etc. The reason I said Friday is because at Friday I'll have time to download* and try games. So whether it's released in Europe or not doesn't concern me. That's why I said games with fan translations are okay too.

*If I come across something very good, I'll probably buy it. However, I don't have much money, so I can't just buy all the games suggested only to find out they're crappy, which is why the PSP will be modded. (Also because I want to play games with their original audio, yay for undubs)
Old 2011-06-15, 03:28   Link #13
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Take care when you mod it!
Quote:
Gods Eater Burst: Currently playing this game for the PSP and I must say, I'm blown away by the awesome storyline.
Looks cool, thanks for the suggestion^^
Old 2011-06-15, 03:41   Link #14
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I'm already here Kaze, just busy with packing stuff etc. The reason I said Friday is because at Friday I'll have time to download* and try games. So whether it's released in Europe or not doesn't concern me. That's why I said games with fan translations are okay too.

*If I come across something very good, I'll probably buy it. However, I don't have much money, so I can't just buy all the games suggested only to find out they're crappy, which is why the PSP will be modded. (Also because I want to play games with their original audio, yay for undubs)

Ah, in that case I'll list the stuff I have

(Note: All these games are and have been in the top 10 PSP games of the year at some point)

***Persona 3 Portable Best JRPG out there, trust me, you want to play this game, Japanese high school life and special powers during the night.
From taking classes and learning for your tests to eating ramen and beating high level bosses, this is the stuff anime's are made out of.

Jeanne D'arc: Turn based strategy game during the middle ages, certain characters have special powers.

*Brave Story One of my favorite JRPG's out there, even the US version has JAP audio and english subs, this game has the best graphics on the PSP.

*Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 1-2-3 A classic style RPG but with the best combat I've ever seen, every combat is a ton of fun (Team free for all brawl with your 4 man party vs 16 enemies? hell yes).

Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite: It's a decent single player game, but very hard for newcomers, I only play this with my next door neighbor.

***Phantasy Star Portable 2 I still play this game weekly, the story plays out like a visual novel, but the combat is amazing, it has full online support, it literally plays like World of Warcraft online (You can even have your own room and decorate it etc)

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep: the Kingdom Hearts Prequel, I found it an o-kay game, nothing outstanding though, storyline is a bit short.

***Gods Eater Burst: This is a perfect game, it's like Monster Hunter and Phanstasy star got mashed up into 1 game, and together with Persona Portable have the 2 best storylines I have ever seen on the PSP.

I have many more, but these are the ones on my top list, I set some stars infront of the ones you really should try.

*Edit*
I included some trailers so you could check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Take care when you mod it!

Looks cool, thanks for the suggestion^^
Haha, nice that I was of some help!
For people who are also interested in Gods Eater Burst, here is the trailer:
Spoiler for Trailer:

And here's the opening:
Spoiler for Op:

*Edit 2*

Oh and, I happen to know of an... undubbed version of Persona 3 Portable
if you'd like it, PM me in that case, as I won't advertise it here for obvious reasons (I.e: Doesn't want to get banned).

Disclaimer: all of the listed games, I am the legal owner of and have purchased them fair and square, in case any moderator takes the rules very strictly, I am merely abiding by the request of the Opening Poster

Last edited by Kaze; 2011-06-15 at 04:45.
Old 2011-06-17, 10:38   Link #15
Dist

^Google helps if I want to find undubbed versions or whatever ^^. Thanks, though. Since it's against the rules to talk of such things, I think even through PM's it'd be still against the rules. And '' PM ''s aren't even exactly private since moderators can read them anyway <.<

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. Surely there are more games to suggest and play?

I can't try any of these for now, since (oh joy) in my new apartment, the cable thingy in the wall is busted and I can't watch tv. Incidentally, my internet connection also comes from cable so that is ruled out too until someone comes and fixes it. Whenever that may be, I don't know. Hopefully next week though.. All alone, in new apartment, without internet connection is pretty.. lonely >.<
Old 2011-06-18, 04:48   Link #16
Sides

LocoRoco
Wipeout Pulse
Patapon
Half-Minute Hero
R-Type tactics/Command

You should get these for peanuts, don't try using peanut-butter...
Old 2011-06-18, 18:23   Link #17
nasomi
Professional Cake Tester

I agree on brave story. Also me and my katamari, little big planet, modnation racers, lunar: silver star harmony are on my psp-go. great games with many gameplay hours.
Old 2011-06-18, 19:44   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数

Blazblue Continuum Shift 2

Sengoku Hime

Ookami Kakushi

Chaos;Head Noah

Project Diva 2

Tenshin Ranman

These are my games on both my mem-sticks...
Old 2011-06-23, 08:30   Link #19
Dist

There's never too many games! If there are any left to be suggested, then do so. I'd comment on some of these games if I had actually gotten to play them yet, but I haven't. Now that my connection is fine, I found that the internal memory is ridiculously small so I'll have to wait yet another week or two for a memstick to arrive.
Old 2011-06-23, 13:24   Link #20
Kafriel
Senior Guest

You can try stardust, it's gone a long way since its ATARI days
Dante's Inferno - Kinda like God of War.
Monster Hunter 3rd - I'll let you guess what this one's about
Quote:
I found that the internal memory is ridiculously small so I'll have to wait yet another week or two for a memstick to arrive.
Yeah, I remember those 32 MB of pathetic memory on mine. If you plan on getting a micro SD, note that different adapters can achieve different loading speeds, having a good spare never hurts.