AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-08-30, 09:28   Link #1
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Dreadnought

Fear Nothing.

Some folks at Yager decided that capital ships needed some love (read: playability) in the space-action genre. The result is scheduled for a 2015 release; in the meantime, here's an overview of the five ship types currently announced.

Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 02:26   Link #2
SineMora
Wait for it...

World of Warships... IN THRUSTERS!!!
This is dream come true...

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 04:11   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
Retroactive Momentum

Okay, I admit, this has my interest. But I'll wait to see more before getting excited.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 18:07   Link #4
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Okay, I admit, this has my interest. But I'll wait to see more before getting excited.
Here, let me help.

First, the demo and interview from PAX Prime...

...and, secondly, a GameInformer article.
Old 2014-09-05, 17:45   Link #5
Firefly00

More commented gameplay inbound

Zero Refuge!

While the video gives us a good look at the abilities of most of the initial ship classes, and the interplay among said ships on a team, it also teases hints of more aesthetic customization.
  • note the group shot on the victory screen - each of those characters is a player's avatar, and there could be some degree of customization.. probably closer to something like Torchlight 2 than, say, Saints Row 3, with some of the outfits being unlocked through progression.
  • look closely, and you'll see nose art. I cannot help but wonder if they'll take a page from Homeworld 2 and let folks import their own images...
Old 2014-10-15, 21:57   Link #6
Firefly00

Minimum system requirements...

...will be announced soon, and the player base is predicted to be 'pleasantly surprised'. In the meantime, Game Director Peter Holzapfel and Game Designer Eino Joas have let another commentary video into the wild:

Old 2016-07-09, 08:31   Link #7
LoweGear
Great Commandy One
*Graphic Designer

Managed to get into closed beta for this via a friend's Recruitment Pack, which gave me starting GP and FP (aka the premium and standard currencies), as well as the Morningstar Hero Dreadnought.

The actual gameplay itself is actually more like your standard shooter, since unlike WoWS there's no armor modeling nor shot RNG, though projectile speed and damage falloff at range has to be considered. Gameplay is extremely straightforward for the most part though, with battle revolving around judicious use of the special abilities that you have, granted via customizable equipment called "Modules", and the energy management system that allows you to boost either engines, shields or weapons temporarily for a boost in mobility, defense and offense respectively. The customizable modules mean that you can change the 4 abilities your ship has depending on how you play: my Invictus-class dreadnought for instance is more a ranged attacker with nuclear missiles and Vulture missiles for softening up enemies at long range while I close in guns blazing. Knife fights are the norm in this game though, especially if your preference is in the larger Dreadnoughts and Destroyers, since the maximum engagement ranges for most of the weapons is rather anemic.

The close engagement ranges actually lend themselves a lot better to cooperative play, since sticking together and focusing fire on a single target is a much better and safer way to get kills, and it's actually fun if you remember to work as a team. Hell, most of the time it's the Tactical Cruisers - the repair ships and support class - that can make the difference between victory and defeat. Ships do repair on their own out of combat, so it's not like Tac Cruisers are essential, just highly appreciated. It does mean though that cover is very important in this game, as hiding from an enemy's firing arc allows you to get time to heal, and the way the ships handle allow for "peekaboo" style combat more reminiscent of World of Tanks, though not to the same degree.

Game modes at current revolve around Team Deathmatch and Team Elimination, though with the closed beta's limited population I've never gone into a match on the latter. Team Deathmatch though is very much your standard deathmatch mode where you race to get up to 100 points, up to and including respawning, which I find strange in a vehicle-based game. You are able to freely switch which ship (whichever is available in your hangar) you're using when you respawn though, so you can better adapt to the situation at hand - for example, that pesky corvette shot you down as a tac cruiser? You can go corvette yourself and hunt him down, or just go dreadnought so you can go after heavier targets. There's also a Training Mode, which is currently the only PvE mode available, though you don't earn exp or credits in this mode.

Progression in this game (which is called exactly that) is nice, since there's no tiers or anything: instead, you earn captain's EXP with every match, which is used to raise your captain's level to unlock new modules and eventually ships upon ranking up. I also like how you get access to 5 "Trader" ships from the start, which are ships you can't customize (both appearance and module-wise) representing each of the 5 ship classes, thus you can try out the nuances of a particular ship class immediately without having to spend time and money to unlock the ships, though of course if you want maximum performance (and the ability to bling out your ship) you'll want to save up on credits for the customizable market ships.

For those wondering about microtransactions, the game features only two items that are GP (premium currency) exclusive: cosmetic items (like ship emblems, decals, colors etc), and there are "Hero" ships that are custom version of the normal playable ships that cannot be modified. While you can buy ship modules and even ships via GP, you can also buy them via the standard credits you earn per match, and you can't purchase them from the market if you don't have sufficient Captain's Rank to do so, which means you're not getting that Monarch-class Dreadnought by being a wallet warrior, and the Hero ships themselves aren't that much better than the standard ships, so there's hardly an element of "Pay-2-Win" here.

If I do have a few gripes though, it's mainly that at the moment, there's only 1 actual space map, and most of time the map rotation tends make planetside maps more frequent. For a spaceship game, spending more time in the atmosphere than in space feels rather strange.

On Tsundere: "XCOM is like a tsundere: bitingly harsh and difficult to deal with at the beginning, challenging yet satisfying in the middle, then glorious domination at the end."

Last edited by LoweGear; 2016-07-09 at 09:12.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 07:07   Link #8
DarkForestCrow

It looks beautiful.

Is there any kinds of customization of ships? Or characters?

Interactive fiction, text-interactions based and roleplaying games
DarkForestCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 09:52   Link #9
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Ive been in the closed beta a while but kinda lost interest a couple of months ago. Seemed enjoyable at first but some gripes kind of sapped that away pretty quickly. My main gripe is the poor balancing issues with ship classes and captain ranks. It was pretty common to see newer players pitted against high ranking players in much better equipped ships.

I think the dev's have had problems balancing certain ship classes and with each update they seemed to upset the blanace further, by making changes that were too drastic.

Before I lost interest the main scourge was 4 heavy tac cruiser teams, which would spam repair beams and focus fire everything in range. They were impossible to kill (even with nukes) and would focus fire your teams heavier ships insanely fast.

That said its been a while since I last played and some of those issues could have been ironed out by now.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 10:48   Link #10
LoweGear
Great Commandy One
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkForestCrow View Post
It looks beautiful.

Is there any kinds of customization of ships? Or characters?
There is indeed ship customization, which includes ship color schemes (though not really extensive, you just get to choose preset two-tone or three-tone color schemes), ship patterns, physical bow emblems (such as bull heads, skulls, crosses, etc.), decals, and if you have the hero ships you get to use their custom appearances for your market ships as well, including custom bow shapes, stern shape, hull shape, bridge etc. The majority of the customization options are unfortunately premium, but at least those are the only things they made that you need real money for. Based on their advertising pics I'm certain they'll be adding more options for hull customization in the future.

There is also character customization, though it's extremely limited - just three choices of faces per gender, a couple of caps, a couple of colors, really nothing too exciting as of yet. I'm sure they'll likely add more in the future, but right now most captains more or less look like each other, which makes itself obvious in the post-mission briefing screen where you see the player's customized captains staring each other down.

On Tsundere: "XCOM is like a tsundere: bitingly harsh and difficult to deal with at the beginning, challenging yet satisfying in the middle, then glorious domination at the end."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote