AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-08, 23:02   Link #41
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
I hold the belief that "awesome" characters who can accomplish any feat effortlessly and have no flaws or weaknesses to account for are literally the most worthless pieces of crap to any form of literature, so I'd say yeah.
Literature, probably. Not much so with audio-visual media like movies and video games.

The key is knowing how to properly enjoy everything.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 00:43   Link #42
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
I hold the belief that "awesome" characters who can accomplish any feat effortlessly and have no flaws or weaknesses to account for are literally the most worthless pieces of crap to any form of literature, so I'd say yeah.
I think there's another factor to consider- For example, if I created this unstoppable force that can destroy giants and deities, but she can't ever win in rock-paper-scissors, tick-tag-toe, or minesweeper, that counts as a flaw and weakness right ?

In other words, is the Character's weakness enough to off-set their overwhelming strength?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-07-09 at 03:16.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 06:50   Link #43
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
I'm annoyed to see how 'overpowered' Haruhi Fujioka(Ouran) is. She never fall to Tamaki's charm while billions of other girls go "KYAAAAH" for him. However Renge can be explained for the same resistance because she's a tsundere. Mouth say no but heart say yes.
I think that's plausible. There are plenty of guys who can get loads of girls to go "Kyaa" over him, and plenty of girls who won't fall for such superficial charms.

Also the only girls we see kyaaing over Tamaki are his (numerous) fans. But we don't see every girl in the entire school doing it, do we?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 06:24   Link #44
xXCloudXx
The Ultimate Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: A Fairytale
After seen a certain anime, actually my answer would be no. It depends on how the manga author can put it all together.
__________________
xXCloudXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 10:03   Link #45
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
I'm annoyed to see how 'overpowered' Haruhi Fujioka(Ouran) is. She never fall to Tamaki's charm while billions of other girls go "KYAAAAH" for him. However Renge can be explained for the same resistance because she's a tsundere. Mouth say no but heart say yes.
Er, that's not true. In the manga,

Spoiler for ending...:
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 14:08   Link #46
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
I'm annoyed to see how 'overpowered' Haruhi Fujioka(Ouran) is. She never fall to Tamaki's charm while billions of other girls go "KYAAAAH" for him. However Renge can be explained for the same resistance because she's a tsundere. Mouth say no but heart say yes.
Heaven forbid we have a girl that doesn't fall into the squealing fangirl sterotype.

..............Frankly I liked Haruhi because of that. It's more realistic frankly, people in real life like that seem vapid and annoying.

Still I think that is a bit outside of the general topic.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 18:17   Link #47
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Nanoha is most definitely NOT overpowered. She struggled against every opponent she faced. She has the standard "never give up!" attitude of a hero, but contrary to every other hero out there... she paid a heavy cost for it, by nearly dying and depleting her overall magic power. She's talented, yes, but I can't recall many other shows out there where the overuse of power was shown to have a huge negative effect on the hero.

Regarding StrikerS, it was specifically shown that the villains were weaker, mostly. Jail's main advantage was superior strategy which did work, when he assaulted the peace conference and made a fool of the TSAB. And he almost got away with overpowering the good guys with the Cradle.

Another note that Nanoha's Blaster system was deliberately designed to sap her life force to fuel her power; hence why she could go toe-to-toe with Vivio in an anti-magic field.... but it cost her something like 8% of her total magic power, so she's technically weaker now. In Force, she is taken by surprise and almost killed (saved by Fate), and she is pretty much defeated by the new protagonist (it takes other people to save her and stop him).

So even if you feel she is overpowered, it's not bad because she's paying a very deliberate cost for the times when she pushes ahead. Nanoha winning in the end, is simply the result of her being the hero.

As for the question in general, it's too general to answer adequately. An overpowered hero can be written well and be interesting, but I have to admit that, lately, I haven't found many that are. All that matters, really, is that there is a credible threat to maintain drama (not necessarily against the hero him/herself).
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 00:55   Link #48
Kiyomizu
Never Knows Best
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Age: 22
I'm not usually interested in all-powerful characters. I actually prefer the opponent to have a bit of an edge. There's something I really like about rooting for the underdog.

Characters like Superman bore me fast. Give me a character of average strength but impeccable wit any day.
Kiyomizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 01:25   Link #49
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
there is a saying.

He may be overpowered, but he/she can be beaten.

Baki's dad was overpowered in the manga, but was subdued once, but never beaten in all his fights. The interesting part here is how can the underdogs with lesser powers beat the ones overpowered, but the execution must be good and believable.

Reminds me the Superman VS Hulk. Hulk's true power is untapped even up to now the World Breaker, but from the start Hulk is overpowered because of his strength. Superman beat the Hulk because he didn't gave a chance for the Hulk to get mad enough to match his strength. (Damn DC/Marvel writers...lol)
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 13:05   Link #50
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyomizu View Post
I'm not usually interested in all-powerful characters. I actually prefer the opponent to have a bit of an edge. There's something I really like about rooting for the underdog.

Characters like Superman bore me fast. Give me a character of average strength but impeccable wit any day.
Even smart people can e overpowered, Lelouch, Light, Johan and Aizen notwithstanding. How do expect me to beleive that you can predict how your opponent is going and what his reactions are going to be? Or how you instigated all of the hero's victories since before he was even born?
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 16:14   Link #51
Kiyomizu
Never Knows Best
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Even smart people can e overpowered, Lelouch, Light, Johan and Aizen notwithstanding. How do expect me to beleive that you can predict how your opponent is going and what his reactions are going to be? Or how you instigated all of the hero's victories since before he was even born?
Wait, what? I didn't say intelligent characters can't be overpowered, I just said I think they're more fun to watch.
Kiyomizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 20:56   Link #52
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
And it works because he's not a main character
These days Negi isn't far from being as overpowered as Rakan and people still like him, it's because he's overpowered and interesting.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 21:06   Link #53
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
These days Negi isn't far from being as overpowered as Rakan and people still like him, it's because he's overpowered and interesting.

I don't follow Negima like I used to so I can't comment on his popularity with the fans, but I do know that Negi has been constantly power-uping himself for every new enemy boss (give or take), and making quick work of any past threat, lowering their credentials... And it's not only him, rarely (but not never) do the heroes win with anything but head on confrontations, and if you're not strong enough, someone stronger will pop up to save you.

To me that just feels cheap in that the only way he wins is through brute force and just being generally stronger than the enemy.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 21:15   Link #54
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't follow Negima like I used to so I can't comment on his popularity with the fans, but I do know that Negi has been constantly power-uping himself for every new enemy boss (give or take), and making quick work of any past threat, lowering their credentials... And it's not only him, rarely (but not never) do the heroes win with anything but head on confrontations, and if you're not strong enough, someone stronger to pop up to save you.
I certainly haven't head much Negi hate, though maybe I'm missing it...

Spoiler for Negima:




Quote:
To me that just feels cheap in that the only way he wins is through brute force and just being generally stronger than the enemy.
You're talking Rakan here, right?
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 21:25   Link #55
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I certainly haven't head much Negi hate, though maybe I'm missing it...

Spoiler for Negima:
Ironically my first true irk with Negi was how whiny and indecisive he was when he realized he had to fight her

But maybe I've reach the age where I've mellowed, but I've got to ask- what's so badass about beating up people weaker than you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
You're talking Rakan here, right?
No I'm talking about Negi, you said it yourself in your above statement-

Spoiler:


Negi constantly power-ups, I've lost track of how many training camp sessions he had already throughout the series, but it seems like power-leveling is the solution to everything.

And after every power-up, it makes the enemies that he used to have difficulty with look like childs play.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 21:34   Link #56
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
]

Negi constantly power-ups, I've lost track of how many training camp sessions he had already throughout the series, but it seems like power-leveling is the solution to everything.

And after every power-up, it makes the enemies that he used to have difficulty with look like childs play.
True, but what interests me is why some characters can get progressively stronger through power-us and none really minds, like Negi and with others, like Sasuke for example, every time he gets a stronger people bitch for days.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 22:56   Link #57
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I am not sure about Negima hate but Naruto is popular in a lot of circles so it gonna get a lot more hate than Negima does.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 23:06   Link #58
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Naruto and Negima is still wa~ay better in handling its power-up plots compared to Bleach though imo.

I still think overpowered characters have its own merits. Plus points if that character is actually a Crouching-Moron-Hidden-Badass.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 08:30   Link #59
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Negima is shonen, so shonen powerups and fights apply. I'm not particularly fond of straight shonen, though, so it dampens my enthusiasm for said things. So Negi, a 10 year old boy, can obviously defeat a 30+ year old magic veteren by punching him. Logic says that's not possible, but we're working with shonen logic, which says it is possible. So Negi would be OP, and the only way to threaten him, is to have a more OP villain.

Naruto is a slightly different beast. It's not straight shonen. While some fights are won based on power, it also works like how Nanoha does, in that strategy and tactics can beat a stronger opponent. There are issues with Naruto (it's gone on waaaay too long, and he does get a lot of instant powerups), but most of the fights are handled fairly well. Naruto himself, though, is coming dangerously close to OP levels, if he isn't there already.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 14:30   Link #60
poisui
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 28
I don't mind overpowered characters as long as they do not hog the spotlight most of the times. I have no problem with Son Goku because characters like Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunk actually play a significant role.

On the other hand, I cannot stand series like Bleach and Rurouni Kenshin because Ichigo and Kenshin literally take most of the spotlight in their respective series. Mahou Sensei Negima isn't nearly as bad but it does get on nerve sometimes.
poisui is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.