AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-23, 12:08   Link #41
animeffs13240
V for Victory
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Enminty for Scr-y-ed

I just recently joined the forum like a few weeks ago so the people argueing won't even get to see what i thought about it but i don't really care
ANYWAYS I just got to say wow, never seen so much hate for an anime on any anime forum. I thought the ending was great, in fact unlike most people i thought the second half was better than the first half. The second half did start off slow but it did end great. The final battle between Ryuho and Kazuma was impressive to say the least (it really showed how much guts and respect these guys had) I know a lot of people were looking for a relationship among the two main characters, but I actually couldn't see them getting together. Ryuho had too much pride and responsibiliyt to deal with a girl (and it was mimori who did cling on to him as someone posted earlier) I couldn't see Kanami and Kazuma hooking up either. Kazuma was like a father figure to Kanami (even though Kanami was the responsible one) Kazama was too wild for Kanami too handle, plus at the end Kanami had an alter power that could tell how Kazuma and Ryuho were doing.
Someone posted that earlier that there should be a second season and some one else argued there shouldn't
I don't think there is going to be a next one but I can kind of see a story come in. I mean the mainland did say they had a couple of spies in the lost ground, but when it showed the image of Kanami grown up (boy, did she look cute ) the lost ground was in growing just fine, so i'm guessing nothing really went wrong...if they had done a second season the writers probably would have done it about the second generation and not about Kazuma and Ryuho.
Anyways I liked how the series ended, and I love the series overall.
__________________
animeffs13240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 12:47   Link #42
PatPeter
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeffs13240 View Post
I just recently joined the forum like a few weeks ago so the people argueing won't even get to see what i thought about it but i don't really care
ANYWAYS I just got to say wow, never seen so much hate for an anime on any anime forum. I thought the ending was great, in fact unlike most people i thought the second half was better than the first half. The second half did start off slow but it did end great. The final battle between Ryuho and Kazuma was impressive to say the least (it really showed how much guts and respect these guys had) I know a lot of people were looking for a relationship among the two main characters, but I actually couldn't see them getting together. Ryuho had too much pride and responsibiliyt to deal with a girl (and it was mimori who did cling on to him as someone posted earlier) I couldn't see Kanami and Kazuma hooking up either. Kazuma was like a father figure to Kanami (even though Kanami was the responsible one) Kazama was too wild for Kanami too handle, plus at the end Kanami had an alter power that could tell how Kazuma and Ryuho were doing.
Someone posted that earlier that there should be a second season and some one else argued there shouldn't
I don't think there is going to be a next one but I can kind of see a story come in. I mean the mainland did say they had a couple of spies in the lost ground, but when it showed the image of Kanami grown up (boy, did she look cute ) the lost ground was in growing just fine, so i'm guessing nothing really went wrong...if they had done a second season the writers probably would have done it about the second generation and not about Kazuma and Ryuho.
Anyways I liked how the series ended, and I love the series overall.
I KNOW THIS ANIME IS AMAZING!

Look at Hellsing TV Series threads and you'll see no one likes that either. It's ironic that my favourite anime are the ones that people hate the most...first is Hellsing, then S-cry-ed, then Big O
PatPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 12:51   Link #43
hobbes_fan
You could say.....
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Not a fan of this genre in general but there's a few I like so I gave this a shot when the boxset was on sale for $40

Good:

Pretty to look at, some smooth fluid fight scenes
The alters were an interesting premise
Lots of random explosions and destruction

Bad:
Really, Really unlikeable lead characters. They're selfish irresponsible arrogant halfwits. The ending reflects this. Halfway through I was begging for one of them to die soon so I didn't have to deal with them.
Plotwise there isn't very much in terms of depth. About as deep as a puddle. All the non-fight scenes are cliched and forced. I kept waiting and waiting for some development but any plot twists you could see a mile off
Side characters are disappointing, Scheris and Kanami suffer from weak dialogue or cliched stereotypical endings. villains are forgettable.


Maybe my expectations were too high, I was expecting something along the lines of Kenshin. It really didn't help its case when the leads were so unlikeable.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 13:58   Link #44
PatPeter
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Not a fan of this genre in general but there's a few I like so I gave this a shot when the boxset was on sale for $40

Good:

Pretty to look at, some smooth fluid fight scenes
The alters were an interesting premise
Lots of random explosions and destruction

Bad:
Really, Really unlikeable lead characters. They're selfish irresponsible arrogant halfwits. The ending reflects this. Halfway through I was begging for one of them to die soon so I didn't have to deal with them.
Plotwise there isn't very much in terms of depth. About as deep as a puddle. All the non-fight scenes are cliched and forced. I kept waiting and waiting for some development but any plot twists you could see a mile off
Side characters are disappointing, Scheris and Kanami suffer from weak dialogue or cliched stereotypical endings. villains are forgettable.


Maybe my expectations were too high, I was expecting something along the lines of Kenshin. It really didn't help its case when the leads were so unlikeable.
Yes, your expectations were too high, but I did laugh when you said you wanted one of them to die so you wouldn't have to deal with him.

But the plot was much deeper than a puddle, because what you described sound like only the crust of the plot, about the main characters and everything.

How you put down some of the side characters? Do you know how many people like Cougar??!?!?
PatPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 14:20   Link #45
hobbes_fan
You could say.....
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Cougar. As the end neared you knew
Spoiler for Scryed end:
He has a few meaningful moments probably more than the others but I don't think that's saying much. It's not a matter of what others like, it matters what I like.

Spoiler for Scryed other secondary characters:


But take my opinion with a grain of salt. I don't really like shonen titles generally. There's a few I lke but they're few and far between
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 14:20   Link #46
animeffs13240
V for Victory
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Maybe my expectations were too high, I was expecting something along the lines of Kenshin. It really didn't help its case when the leads were so unlikeable.
oh yeah your expectations were extremly high, kenshin is like a league of its own. Scr-y-ed may have seemed rush to you because it was only a 26 episode series, kenshin is definitly more than 26 episodes (even though the third season was not even worth looking at). I thought Scr-y-ed was seemingly rushed as well but it was made decently, didn't you complain about the voice-acting... i'm going to agree with you, english dub was pretty bad
__________________
animeffs13240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 14:28   Link #47
PatPeter
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Cougar. As the end neared you knew
Spoiler for Scryed end:
He has a few meaningful moments probably more than the others but I don't think that's saying much. It's not a matter of what others like, it matters what I like.

Spoiler for Scryed other secondary characters:


But take my opinion with a grain of salt. I don't really like shonen titles generally. There's a few I lke but they're few and far between
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeffs13240 View Post
oh yeah your expectations were extremly high, kenshin is like a league of its own. Scr-y-ed may have seemed rush to you because it was only a 26 episode series, kenshin is definitly more than 26 episodes (even though the third season was not even worth looking at). I thought Scr-y-ed was seemingly rushed as well but it was made decently, didn't you complain about the voice-acting... i'm going to agree with you, english dub was pretty bad
Who are Kenshin and Scheris I can't remember.

I haven't watched any version other than english dub what is better

and Ryuuho doesn't necessarily become a good guy, but both fighting sides on the island join together to face a common enemy

by cliched you mean...?
PatPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 15:56   Link #48
animeffs13240
V for Victory
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatPeter View Post
Who are Kenshin and Scheris I can't remember.

I haven't watched any version other than english dub what is better

and Ryuuho doesn't necessarily become a good guy, but both fighting sides on the island join together to face a common enemy
There was no one named Kenshin, I was just comparing the anime Rurouni Kenshin with Scr-y-ed for Hobbes_fan, because he too was comparing the scr-y-ed with Kenshin

Scheris was the girl with short hair that worked with Ryuuho during his days with Holy. She had blue hair and wore a triangle headpiece. She sounded like a woman who sucked in a lot of helium in the dub version. She too was in love with Ryuuho just like Mimori
Spoiler for more about scheris:


and the japanese is soooo much better (probably because we english people can't tell when foreign languages are acted wrongly)
__________________
animeffs13240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:47   Link #49
ibreatheanime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Louis MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeffs13240 View Post
There was no one named Kenshin, I was just comparing the anime Rurouni Kenshin with Scr-y-ed for Hobbes_fan, because he too was comparing the scr-y-ed with Kenshin

Scheris was the girl with short hair that worked with Ryuuho during his days with Holy. She had blue hair and wore a triangle headpiece. She sounded like a woman who sucked in a lot of helium in the dub version. She too was in love with Ryuuho just like Mimori
Spoiler for more about scheris:


and the japanese is soooo much better (probably because we english people can't tell when foreign languages are acted wrongly)
I agree that the english dub was pretty much butchered.
__________________
I AM BACK!
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:53   Link #50
winry039
love is dreaminess
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Why would i ever tell you!
Age: 20
Send a message via AIM to winry039
i also finished watching the show recently and i dont think there will be another season but if there was one then i would be so happy
__________________
My whole life revovles around my family, my friends, and anime.
winry039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 04:50   Link #51
hobbes_fan
You could say.....
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
It didn't feel rushed at all, I felt it dragged on too long. because for me there wasn't enough interesting plot points at maybe 13 episodes I'd have higher rating.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 05:19   Link #52
hipeach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Those who dislikes Scryed are those who don't really understand the show. The show is about two men of men fighting to be the strongest. true men always aspire to be the strongest, to fight to the top, and there can be only one. That's why boxing and pro-wrestling are so popular, there doesn't need to be some good vs. evil grand battle of morals, just the dream to become the strongest, to reach the top, that's enough to be a true man's dream. And the two leads showed the ideals of order and chaos, laws and freedom, one is a wild beast, fights for total freedom, total anarchy, the other fights to maintain order and rules, but in the end they are true men, they fight to see who is the strongest of all. They are among the most likeable leads in all anime. Scryed is the show that make people recall their lost ideals, their lost dreams, their lost aspirations to become the strongest of the strong, to become the man of men, to recall the adrenaline in their souls suppressed by the drab day to day business and work. The last two episodes are what truly make Scryed shine, to truly distinct it from other beat-the-bad-guy anime. It's completely different from Kenshin, that's for sure. Both are great in their own different areas and different goals.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 05:35   Link #53
hobbes_fan
You could say.....
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Did none of what you describe for me. More of a lesson of how not to to overcomplicate a simple story. My comparison would be Scryed is more like Rocky V than Rocky I which does everything you say. Honestly watch Hajime no Ippo its a better example of what you say. No good vs evil it's a simple story but t comes under no pretenses. Does it a whole lot better and the leads aren't as aggravating

That's a big call, saying they're the most likeable in anme, considering I've already outlined why they're unlikeable and plenty of others have pointed out. It would've been fine if t was a simple beat em up story, but it tries to do something else where it fails miserably.

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-04-24 at 05:48.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 01:03   Link #54
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Scryed is an extreme shonen fighter and it should be viewed as such...It's all about the characters (and designs), visual concepts, fight-creativity, and the uniquely different alter-powers...The character journeys are as cliche and enjoyable enuff IMO...If one goes into a character based shonen fighter expecting much more than this, one is simply asking for too much...For what it was worth Scryed was a really cool and enjoyable shonen fighter..Ridiculous visual acid (remember the epilepsy warning before the orginal eps?) with action and the always sucessful "clash of rivals" aspect...I orginally watched it in Japanese and re-watched the dub and enjoyed both (Many people hate Scheris' dub voice, but in actuality it matches the annoying tone she has in the original)..It has some soft and tender moments but it also has some very harsh and disturbing moments...

The lead character Kazuya is an extreme take on a common archeatype and I saw it as the creator wanting to tell a shonen-fighter from the perspective of a more insane type of aggresive character (You can only have so many happy-go-lucky shonen leads)...It even disregards the final boss for a final showdown of it's 2 main characters which was insanley fun BTW..It's about style over substance, but still there's substance (however cliche--but be reminded cliche is cliche because it has proven to be effective)...Overall this show is less about story and more about characters and universal themes, and by it's conclusion you see these things play-out to a bevy of color-soaked visceral action sequences (which is why you tuned in right?--That's why I tuned in)...Like I say alot of times, you have to put things into the proper context to ascertain the most enjoyment...

And that's why i dug this show..Now if I could just find out what the hell S-Cry-Ed means I could move on with my life^^...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 01:45   Link #55
hobbes_fan
You could say.....
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Scrying - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scry cliff notes: Pretty much fortune telling

Spoiler for Scryng in scryed:

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-04-26 at 02:05.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 02:18   Link #56
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
I've actually heard that explanation before, but it was defunct by the fact that saying 'Scryed' was merely a fan interpretation ignoring the fact the word is broken into 3 hyphenated phrases (s-CRY-ED)..Neither the anime, nor the manga even mentiones this...Wiki's scryed page explains it as the "word for evolution" in-terms of the alter users...But yet again no proof of this...I agree Kaname can be thought of as scrying, but still no evidence suggests that her alter is explicitly the name of the show (and why would it be?)..Not that anime names make sense (BLEACH anyone?), but the actual presentation of the word has to mean something I think...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 03:05   Link #57
hobbes_fan
You could say.....
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
lol Bleach, I remember asking for it at the video store and they told me that the grocery was down the street.
I can live with the wki definition as it hits on a couple of levels.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 15:03   Link #58
PatPeter
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
No thanks, I'm done explaining. Up to Episode 22 I considered Scryed one of the best fighting Animes out there, then after those 2 episodes I only consider this sorta average.
1) Its not your run-of-the-mill fighting anime

2) Have you seen Samuri Champloo (I know I spelled Samuri wrong someone correct me)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelray View Post
It's been a really long time since I've seen Scryed, but I still consider it a pretty good show. It seems that the reasons people are listing for not liking the show are precisely why I liked it.

The reason I like Scryed is because it threw away a lot of conventional anime norms. For example, I really like how the love triangle was resolved. If it were any other show, killing off Scheris would have been used as an excuse for Ryuhou to get with Mimori. Instead, he ends up with no one, which while it's surprising, is more realistic. Things don't end happily all the time in real life.

I also liked the final episode. Any other show would have had Kazuma and Ryuhou reconcile their differences and become good buddies, realizing through their journey together that they aren't so different after all (awww touching, really.) But this episode is making a point: People will always fight. No matter how much we cooperate and try to understand each other, humans are stubborn and competitive so the fighting will never end. Take the episode symbolically if that makes you feel better.

The only thing I didn't like was the "ending" before the final episode. I liked that there was no "big bad guy" who was for some stupid purpose manipulating everything, and then the second to last two episodes introduce just that. Oh well, I can live with that.
I also like how they throw away all the conventional stuff.

THE LAST EPISODE is not about fighting at all, it is about honor. It is just like Samuri (yes, I know I am spelling it wrong) Champloo where the two samuri meet and want to fight, but somehow have to work together, and eventually become friends. Kazuma and Ryuho fight as a sign of friendship.

Wait could you explain your dislike of the three before last episodes again? I do not quite understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
I think that was the problem. Scryed isn't a conventional fighting anime -_-
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXion218 View Post
How many ep's are there? I saw only so many and I just ordered a box set from eBay with 1-26? ep's. That'd be great if they made a second one.
Second Season would only be good with different characters, so as not to risk destroying the ending of the first season. And they would have to bring the characters at some point to the mainland, maybe have them go to the labs and see the horror of the experimenting done on such people.
PatPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 19:32   Link #59
EusebioKun
OMG I go to college!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
Send a message via AIM to EusebioKun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Scorcher View Post
With all of the DVD's out, what are your thoughts on it? I found Scryed to be a melding of X-Men and Dragonball Z. The huge difference being that the fights here took a fraction of the time DBZ did and were far more exciting to watch. I also found the rivalry between Kazuma and Ryuho to be similar to that of Goku & Vegeta. The ending to me was pretty lame, but then again that's nothing new for most anime.

The DUB was absolutely horrendous! And I'm speaking as someone who likes dubbed anime. Ryuho sounds like a friggin wuss and Kazuma well... I can't put my finger on it but he's no badass that's for sure. And Scheris sounds like she has a cold. The only characters that sounded alright to me were Cougar and Zigmarl, but they don't save the quality of this DUB. Bottom line, the DUB sucks and is agonizing to the ears, and the Japanese had far superior acting so I stuck to the original Japanese the whole time.

Overall I really liked this title. IMO it's woefully lacking in the plot department, but it makes up for that with great animation and intense fights. If your into lots of action and super-powers, you should get a hold of this one.
*bump*

I thought this was a great post. Unfortunately the only thing I have access to is the dubbed so I'm gonna have to watch the series with it (on ep 4) : /

oh well, currently this has been the best summary of the series so far I'll say if I feel the same way after I finish S-cry-ed.

Lara Jill Miller is the voice of Scheris Adjani. She did do Ikari's voice on Digimon; give her some credit imo.

Also, haven't u guys ever heard of spoilers? I read a couple things I shouldn't have. thanks > : o
__________________
Dennou Coil
EusebioKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 12:56   Link #60
PatPeter
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EusebioKun View Post
*bump*

I thought this was a great post. Unfortunately the only thing I have access to is the dubbed so I'm gonna have to watch the series with it (on ep 4) : /

oh well, currently this has been the best summary of the series so far I'll say if I feel the same way after I finish S-cry-ed.

Lara Jill Miller is the voice of Scheris Adjani. She did do Ikari's voice on Digimon; give her some credit imo.

Also, haven't u guys ever heard of spoilers? I read a couple things I shouldn't have. thanks > : o
Then don't read the thread! Lol jk, but really you can't join a thread about an anime without having seen the whole thing and having your own opinion, otherwise your posts really cant contribute to the topic at all. Do you know what I am saying? No offense on the statements or the question, but I just want to make sure I am clear.
PatPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.