AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-05, 00:39   Link #401
Kaoru Chujo
Uchida Maaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
...he was very dismissive of her [the girlfriend], i agree. but i think taichi's has always had those feelings for chihaya, so it's not so much betrayal as it is denial of the truth. i don't think he is intentionally trying to sabotage his relationship with his girlfriend or even hurt her. i don't even think he's biding his time until he gets with chihaya, as he was surprised to see her again....

like other posters said, i think taichi was conflicted in that scene as well and hurt by arata's words, but he shows it in an abrasive manner unlike chihaya. i also think he understood arata better and knew that chihaya was making things worse. he probably also felt stupid for showing up only to be rejected and felt bad for chihaya as well. i didn't think of it as of bullying so much as being caught up in a moment....

chihaya was too--she's so single-minded that she's just pushing karuta in arata's face despite him--on more than one occasion-refusing her....
Thanks for your perceptive comments. I agree that Taichi was shocked to see Chihaya and just blurted out the truth about his feelings for his girlfriend, but I still hated it. He should have been able to hold his tongue, whatever he felt. But I do appreciate his humanity.

Same thing at Arata's place. He just couldn't stand being there, and was also maybe trying to protect Chihaya, in some way. But when a guy drags a girl somewhere by force, it somehow puts me off. Of course, Chihaya is the most forceful of all, so I guess it's fair, lol.
Uchida Maaya 内田真礼 2010 (3 roles). 2011 (7 roles) Mari (Yuruyuri), Alluka Zoldyk (HxH). 2012 (19 roles) Izumi (Space Pirates), Sanka Rea, Aoi (Akibaranger),Yuu (NakaImo), Rikka (Chuunibyou); 2013 (17) Mii (Ai Mai Mii), Mao (GJ Club), Rei (Vividred), Wakana (Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live), Hajime (Gatchaman), Koganuma (Outbreak Co.). 2014 (26) Futaba (Aoha Ride), Hiyori (Noragami), Sharo (Did You Order Rabbit?), Haruka (Rail Wars). 2015 (15) Ranko (Idolm@ster Cinderella), Haruka (World Break), Ririruka Ahde (Dungeon), Miyabi (Yamada-kun Witches).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2015 anime schedule - previews
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 20:28   Link #402
poisui

Just watched episode 3.

Chihayafuru reminds me of Hikaru no Go even though Kuruta is nowhere near as strategic nor as exciting as Go. Nevertheless, I will continue watching this series until the end. =)
poisui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 23:12   Link #403
Cosmic Eagle
生と死の刹那に未知の結末を見る

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post

chihaya was too--she's so single-minded that she's just pushing karuta in arata's face despite him--on more than one occasion-refusing her.
It isn't really about karuta anyway....it was just not the right medium at that time. Even Arata realized that ultimately, it was their past bond that mattered.
Old 2011-11-06, 08:05   Link #404
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Even Arata realized that ultimately, it was their past bond that mattered.
Yes. We know this from Arata's admission that he had "missed" his friends.

Which leads me to a Japanese language question: Chihaya's words to Arata after she pulls him off the bike--""I've missed you!"--and Arata's words to himself after chasing the train--"I really missed you"--echo each other in the translation.

Can someone fluent comment on whether this echo holds in the Japanese? Does Arata's "you" include Taichi, or is he thinking specifically of Chihaya? Are there any interesting connotations of the word(s) that are translated "miss?" Or is Chihaya saying something somewhat different from what Arata says?

Thanks.
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 08:24   Link #405
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Yes. We know this from Arata's admission that he had "missed" his friends.

Which leads me to a Japanese language question: Chihaya's words to Arata after she pulls him off the bike--""I've missed you!"--and Arata's words to himself after chasing the train--"I really missed you"--echo each other in the translation.

Can someone fluent comment on whether this echo holds in the Japanese? Does Arata's "you" include Taichi, or is he thinking specifically of Chihaya? Are there any interesting connotations of the word(s) that are translated "miss?" Or is Chihaya saying something somewhat different from what Arata says?

Thanks.
Well...Arata adds a "zutto" (~"for a long time") to the end of his. It's literally "I wanted to meet/see (you)" (the translation's fine though - that's what we'd say in English), and doesn't specify whether the 'you' is singular or plural. So yeah, you can assume that Arata's is about both Taichi and Chihaya.

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-06 at 17:01.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 14:19   Link #406
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Does Arata's "you" include Taichi?
Yes, Taichi is included, but there's no "you". In Japanese, when there's no pronoun specified (most of the time), the recipient is indicated by context. Arata's first line in that scene is "Chihaya, Taichi" so everything that comes after that is directed to both of them.
Old 2011-11-06, 21:50   Link #407
PreSage
Damn, no more Ao...

Am I wrong to understand that Chihaya appears to like/love Arata more than Taichi? Well, I am rooting for Arata, since Taichi's cowardice (for lack of a better word) tendency is irksome to me.

Chihaya pulling Arata off his bike is a win. That girl is dangerous (and boy can she run - oh wait...she's done track).
---------------

Last edited by PreSage; 2011-11-06 at 22:04.
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 23:26   Link #408
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Am I wrong to understand that Chihaya appears to like/love Arata more than Taichi?
Not yet. Chihaya's interest in Arata is mostly in regards to karuta. She looks up to him like a role model, and so that's what her thinking revolves around. She's a bit oblivious, but that's sort of standard for shoujo leads.
Old 2011-11-06, 23:31   Link #409
poisui

Just watched episode 5.

Spoiler for Episode 5:
poisui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 18:11   Link #410
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Am I wrong to understand that Chihaya appears to like/love Arata more than Taichi? Well, I am rooting for Arata, since Taichi's cowardice (for lack of a better word) tendency is irksome to me.
She likes Arata more than Taichi... but less than Harada-sensei!
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 21:05   Link #411
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Not yet. Chihaya's interest in Arata is mostly in regards to karuta. She looks up to him like a role model, and so that's what her thinking revolves around. She's a bit oblivious, but that's sort of standard for shoujo leads.
I'm still betting on the cherry blossoms. We didn't get bubbles in this one. We got Arata framed by cherry blossoms.
Old 2011-11-07, 21:11   Link #412
kitten320

Arata's reason fro dropping karuta was predictable and quiet easy one I would say... people always die, especially old one. Arata should have been prepared for something like that. Besides it's not like he had abondened his grandfather.

Chihaya pulling Arata off the bike... Ouch! She sure doesn't think when she acts.
Old 2011-11-08, 14:37   Link #413
Haak
PARTY HARD

Episode 6

Lol, that first half was hilarious. Chihaya running into that window was priceless and the new girl was quite the quirk. I hope she's not going to go into exposition mode in every episode though. That's more than enough already...
Old 2011-11-08, 14:45   Link #414
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Another awesome episode. I love the new character.
fanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 14:50   Link #415
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer

Chihaya was great again this episode. Her enthusiasm and desire to pursue with all she's got is awesome. The episode has made a turn in a different perspective, which is nice also.

Even Taichi was not as bad this episode, although he still has ulterior motives and is a blocker of sorts. He recommended to Chihaya to have only them two as club members, not needing anyone else. As Chihaya was pursuing Kanade, Taichi was again holds her back. Seriously, he is just not an enabler or supporter, but just a follower or disabler. It is good thing Chihaya doesn't listen to him.

Oh yeah, another point to the girlfriend angle. As long as he acknowledged her as his girlfriend, she is his girlfriend, and any actions he has done to try to get Chihaya is cheating.

So now we know why Chihaya wears a kimono in the OP when she battles. It looks really nice on her, and her modeling gig would probably make her sister jealous. I wonder when Arata will get back into the picture?
Old 2011-11-08, 14:59   Link #416
Sides

Kind of funny how Chihaya ended up
Spoiler:
Fantastic episode, imo, i like the way how Kana was introduced and that her passion for karuta is a bit different than what we have seen from the characters so far. After this episode it makes me wonder, if Arata knew the deeper meaning of the poems, or the different interpretation of them, when he was still a kid.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 15:29   Link #417
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Even Taichi was not as bad this episode, although he still has ulterior motives and is a blocker of sorts.
His negative attitude is a result of his lack of passion, not any ulterior motive he may have.

Quote:
He recommended to Chihaya to have only them two as club members, not needing anyone else. As Chihaya was pursuing Kanade, Taichi was again holds her back. Seriously, he is just not an enabler or supporter, but just a follower or disabler. It is good thing Chihaya doesn't listen to him.
lol, but he has a point. Does Chihaya want to be queen because she wants to, or because she wants to follow Arata? It's not the same thing, and there is a reason the show is bringing the issue so early in the game.

I do agree that he's not an enabler....yet.

At any rate, it wouldn't be believable is he changed too suddenly, so let's wait and see.

On another note, It's a bit disappointing they adapted only one manga chapter in this episode. They're going nowhere with this pacing.
Old 2011-11-08, 15:41   Link #418
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Oh yeah, another point to the girlfriend angle. As long as he acknowledged her as his girlfriend, she is his girlfriend, and any actions he has done to try to get Chihaya is cheating.
As long as they both acknowledge it. Otherwise it's School Days.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 16:04   Link #419
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
lol, but he has a point. Does Chihaya want to be queen because she wants to, or because she wants to follow Arata? It's not the same thing, and there is a reason the show is bringing the issue so early in the game.
True, that is a good question about Chihaya's motives. However, how does that relate to having more members in the club or just the 2 or them? She needs at least 5 members to make an official club. Why is he trying to prevent the club from being official and just wants to keep it between themselves?

Also, Chihaya is finally found a passion in something she really likes, whatever her motives may be. You can see clearly in all her action that she loves what she does, instead of just following and admiring (which she originally did with her sister and Arata).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
As long as they both acknowledge it. Otherwise it's School Days.
Hmm... well, if she wasn't the one that acknowledge it, then it really does not make sense in his actions. It would reflect badly on him to think he has a girlfriend and go after Chihaya. On the other hand, if you meant to say that he did not acknowledge it, then we have episode one with him acknowledging it, and then trying to downplay its significance right away. Which again, is not a very gentlemen thing to do. Episode 1 made him sound like he was making his cake and eating it, too.
Old 2011-11-08, 16:12   Link #420
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Episode 6 was lovely. It made me - and Chihaya - see Karuta in a new light. Kana-chan is nice addition to the cast. Her love for Karuta is very different from Chihaya's and Arata's but it's just as strong nonetheless. I hope the other future members (they need two more and I'll expect they'll get them) will be as colorful.

You know, I'm surprised nobody's joined the club simply because the incredibly gorgeous Chihaya is running it yet. Oh wait, there's Taichi. By the way, is that flier meant to advertise the Karuta club or Oe's shop?

As a side (perverted) note, I couldn't help but notice Kana was stacked which in turn made me realize Chihaya is pretty flat. No that it matters to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
He did have a point, indeed. And I think this episode answered that question. Chihaya is clearly in love with Karuta, otherwise there would be no way she could be so passionate about it. Taichi, on the other hand, is definitely more interested in Chihaya than in the game. It's Chihaya who should question his motives. Alas, she is too oblivious to notice it.

Tags
josei, madhouse