AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-11, 01:54   Link #841
TheEroKing

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
How many of you wished for a Arata and Queen match after watching this?
Old 2012-01-11, 02:23   Link #842
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
How many of you wished for a Arata and Queen match after watching this?
I certainly did, and do, lol

Arata vs. The Queen could be quite epic!
Old 2012-01-11, 02:52   Link #843
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

We'd have to see if Arata's still got it.

Also, he didn't make class A at 10, so wouldn't he be completely outmatched?

In fact, that begs the question. How did he acquire a fearsome reputation when they were kids, instead of being "that guy who always comes second to Shinobu"? Or was she already too far ahead of him so they didn't meet?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 04:26   Link #844
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Loved how they never rushed through the episode to cram more content into it, instead they take their time to slowly visualize the how even presumed 'simple' card games in its full glory.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 04:38   Link #845
Archon_Wing
Needs More DPS
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Sticking the best of shounen into an anime and combine it with Josei and those pretty looking designs. Oh man.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 06:00   Link #846
Ami-chan
Raging Ami-chan Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Sticking the best of shounen into an anime and combine it with Josei and those pretty looking designs. Oh man.
Pretty much this, haha. Josei-style presentation, shounen-style action, with beautiful character designs and art. Lovin' it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mrjasonpark/Sigs%20and%20Avys/Momo-01-1.jpg
Ami-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 06:58   Link #847
Akarin

. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post

wow, 3D Chihaya is pretty cute. The Queen is fat compared to her.
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 08:35   Link #848
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
It's another great episode about Chihaya's growth, and her opponents' character development.
It's a party of Karuta lovers. They gather together to pursue their goals: to become Master and Queen. They use their own style and form to achieve it. It's 50% martial art and 50% sport.

The pic is brilliant, I so want to spoil, but I can't. Wish there's more people in the manga thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We'd have to see if Arata's still got it.

In fact, that begs the question. How did he acquire a fearsome reputation when they were kids, instead of being "that guy who always comes second to Shinobu"? Or was she already too far ahead of him so they didn't meet?
Maybe because Arata didn't enter enough rank Tornaments while he was kids, who knows? That was one of the part I don't quite get.

As for how Arata got his reputation, it's already stated in earlier episodes that he won 6 straight national titles while in elementary which means that unless Shinobu didn't participate in those tournements, otherwise she would have lost all of them either against Arata or the runner-up. (Nishida in the 5th and 6th grade).

As for Grade 7 and 8, the flachback seems to imply that he might have been forced to miss some tournaments due to his grandfather's illness, but either way, he got his class A when his grandpa passed away which would mean he got his on A-qualification on 8th grade or beginning of 9th grade.
Old 2012-01-11, 09:09   Link #849
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Maybe because Arata didn't enter enough rank Tornaments while he was kids, who knows? That was one of the part I don't quite get.

As for how Arata got his reputation, it's already stated in earlier episodes that he won 6 straight national titles while in elementary which means that unless Shinobu didn't participate in those tournements, otherwise she would have lost all of them either against Arata or the runner-up. (Nishida in the 5th and 6th grade).
So Arata is the one who won six straight national tournaments as a kid, but Shinobu is the one to achieve A-qualification much earlier at the age of 10... when both would be in Elementary, and Arata was blazing through those national tournaments.

That's kind of odd.

Maybe it's just that they focused on different things? Arata focused on winning kid tournaments, while Shinobu focused on achieving the highest ranking available to all players, and so the two perhaps never even played one another.

If so, that could make a match-up between them even more epic!
Old 2012-01-11, 09:51   Link #850
Undertaker

But considering that Nishida is a B-Class when he hasn't played since 6th grade which would suggest those elementary tournaments would count toward ranking.

If that's the case, and the fact that the requirement for advance in ranks are solely based on how well you finish in qualifying tournaments it seems odd that Shinobu would pass those nationals though.

Then there is Arata. With Arata's fixation on Karuta, it's hard to fathom that he didn't enter in other sanctioned tournament outside of the national (whether those qualifies or not), especially when he is aiming at Meijin titles to begin with.

Spoiler for My theory::
Old 2012-01-11, 10:27   Link #851
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
If everyone knows Arata as "That guy who trounced me," and Shinobu is better, that doesn't diminish Arata, it makes Shinobu more badass.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 12:41   Link #852
Sol Falling

This show has moved into full-on epic mode. The queen is a 16 yr old girl, and Chihaya is playing her in the individual inter-high. Arata is good, but as a matter of skill, it always made sense to me to see him in the shadow of his grandfather--i.e. still just a kid, with a lot of growing up to do, and a long journey yet to attaining real meijin-hood. The queen here is what I would term a real monster, and I can't wait to see what she'll bring to the series; in the way she both contrasts with Chihaya, and shares similarities.

I looked into the kanji details for Shinobu's name, as her given name is one of the readings for 忍, which has meanings of "stealth" and "endurance" ("to bear") associated with ninjas (given her playing style, lol). Turns out that was just a bit of a pun, as I found out that her name is actually written 詩暢 (shi-nobu), which is much more fitting (and rather interesting) as the two kanji have meanings of "poetry" ("poem", "verse") and "fluent" ("smooth", "free") instead, respectively.

Wakamiya (waka-miya), incidentally, is equally fitting: written 若宮, where the first kanji means "young" and the second carries a core meaning of "palace"--including denotations of royalty in the sense of "princess" or, as might be more saliently interpreted in this case: perhaps, "queen" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost My Music View Post
I'm not in the habit of changing my avatar, but wow, this one's so cute it's almost unbearable. Great job on those. It almost sounds crazy with this anime's romance subplot but this shot almost makes me want to break out my yuri shipping goggles.
Yuri Kuma Arashi 24/5 :: Kancolle 24/5 :: Koufuku Graffiti 80/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 12:52   Link #853
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I'm not in the habit of changing my avatar, but wow, this one's so cute it's almost unbearable. Great job on those. It almost sounds crazy with this anime's romance subplot but this shot almost makes me want to break out my yuri shipping goggles.
Lol I thought I'm the only one tempted to take out yuri googles when I saw the avatar. Scene alone in the anime didn't affect me that much

Anyway I loved this episode, it is really cool to see an actual match of skills and someone who is so much better than Chihaya. I doubt it will happen but I still will pray for Chihaya losing here, don't want a Mary Sue! It is too early for her to win!

P.S. I can see Chihaya and Queen becoming good friends in the future. By what was shown, Queen doesn't seem to have many friends while Chihaya easily befriends everyone. And she picked Queens interest, I really can see big friendship in the future!
Old 2012-01-11, 14:10   Link #854
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Karuta.org includes images of all 100 cards, which is useful for non-Japanese speakers who want to know which card has come up in a match.

For example, remember the card Chihaya and Shinobu touch at the same time? The animation doesn't clearly show us the card number--the way it does when writers really want us to know the card in question--but with the help of the above site I figured out (what any literate Japanese would have known immediately) that this was the 88th card.

Why does it matter? The first card that Chihaya takes from Shinobu will be a token of their relationship, even of their future, in the same way that the first card Chihaya took from Arata--"Swift waters parted by the jagged rocks'--describes their lives apart and hopes to reunite in the future. Chihaya herself understands her first card she takes to be the one that will lead her to the Queen match.

The 88th poem expresses a woman's regret at how a single night of love condemns her to a lifetime of longing for the lost lover. To fit this into an analogy with Chihaya's situation, maybe you could say something like this: a single match with Shinobu leaves Chihaya to a lifetime of unrequited longing for a chance to play a match with her again. In other words, not a propitious card for Chihaya at all. So her decision to pass up the card--out of respect for the place and the competition that takes place there--is the right one.

The animation does show us clearly the card she does take on her next turn, which is the 22nd. Here's the U. Virginia translation:

It is by its breath
That autumn's leaves of trees and grass
Are wasted and driven.
So they call this mountain wind
The wild one, the destroyer.

How does this relate to Chihaya? Analogically, perhaps the breath refers to the sound she hears from the reader, which then inspires her to drive the cards when she slashes at them in the game? Perhaps the slight gust now will become the full-tilt wild mountain wind later, portending her development as a player? Or, metaphorically, do these images of wind and mountain, the familiar signs for divinity in nature, return us to Chihaya's own name, which, as Kana tells us back in Episode 6, "Chihayaburu is a pillow word (epithet) for gods that implies great force?" The card, I think, speaks directly to Chihaya's nature as a karuta player. And however terrifying Wakamiya Shinobu may be, "this mountain wind/ The wild one, the destroyer," strikes me as more terrifying by far.

One last bit of commentary on the poetry in the episode: the episode title comes from the 66th waka, "For there is no one else out here." Here's Joshua Mostow's translation from Pictures of the Heart:

Let us think of each
other fondly,
O mountain cherries!
for, outside of your blossoms,
there's no one who knows my feelings.

Let me do this fast--I think the poem expresses Shinobu's loneliness as a karuta player, a person whose abilities have estranged her from everyone else around her. Chihaya stands to break into that solitude, due to her extraordinary ability as a karuta player. Perhaps the poem tokens a friendship between the two girls? Even if they are polar opposite as players, they are personally so alike! But the poem may also mean--as Taichi's sad loneliness in reflecting that he cannot play with Chihaya on the A level--that the two girls will share the peculiar loneliness of being at the top, the solitude of the mountain ascetic who wrote this poem. I wonder how--as Chihaya rises to the top of the karuta mountain--she will retain a connection to friends and family who cannot go so high? We know nothing about Wakamiya's back story at this point, but perhaps this loneliness is all we need to know. What does it mean to be Queen? What would it mean for Chihaya to become queen? Wakamiya raises these questions, and the episode title opens up at once paths leading both to brighter and darker answers to them.

Sol, thanks for the analysis of the kanji. You know I burned out the Animesuki reputation meter for you long ago.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 15:03   Link #855
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Qu

Quote:

In that line of thought, Chihaiya should have been all but destroyed by the Queen, yes? As of the end of episode 14, Chihaiya managed to take 2 consecutive cards.

Talent is a set of innate abilities which make it easier to grasp or follow the conditions required to be good at something. It simply means some people get a better head start. People with "less talent" just need to work at it a bit longer to reach the same stage. And then we have to account for various circumstances and facets of life, motivation, drive, etc.. to determine how far ahead a person can go, talented or not.

This is no different. In fact, the show has done a very good job at pointing that out. Why else would this story revolve around Chihaiya?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 16:28   Link #856
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
In that line of thought, Chihaiya should have been all but destroyed by the Queen, yes? As of the end of episode 14, Chihaiya managed to take 2 consecutive cards.
That's pretty far from being a victory...

Quote:
Talent is a set of innate abilities which make it easier to grasp or follow the conditions required to be good at something. It simply means some people get a better head start. People with "less talent" just need to work at it a bit longer to reach the same stage. And then we have to account for various circumstances and facets of life, motivation, drive, etc.. to determine how far ahead a person can go, talented or not.

This is no different. In fact, the show has done a very good job at pointing that out. Why else would this story revolve around Chihaiya?
Chihaya came to Karuta later, but Arata (probably) used to be very similar to Shinobu. Early start, early successes... Except, in his case, less so for the successes. The difference is that Shinobu kept playing and rose to the top - Arata's just had a blank.

There's lots of things that could mean he has a shot after all. But heck, you might as well say that a year from now, Kana will have a shot at beating the Queen (not in an official match, obviously...). If you look at past performance, Arata doesn't look better placed than any of the other no doubt very talented and hardworking guys she's completely dominated.
Old 2012-01-11, 16:30   Link #857
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that Shinobu is hotter than Chihaya. That sex hair! That mole!

Also, Snowmaru > Daddy bear. Even her fashion sense is superior.

I never thought I'd like a character even more than Chihaya in this series but Shinobu blew me away. MY QUEEN.
Old 2012-01-11, 16:45   Link #858
Haak

Kanon falling for a character not voiced by Hanazawa Kana? Now I've seen everything...
Old 2012-01-11, 16:48   Link #859
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Quote:
That's pretty far from being a victory...
To re-quote your own post,
Quote:
The answer is, no! I'm pretty sure you weren't talking about winning or losing, rather the kind of match-up problem it would pose for Arata just because he reached the A-rank few years later than the current Queen. In that similar line of thought, Chihaiya had absolutely no chance at taking a single card against the Queen because Chihaiya reached A-rank at 16, or was it 15 ( I know she just had her birthday).

The rest of your post pretty much reiterates what I said above. I agree that talent still needs to be cultivated just because talent alone doesn't automatically translate into success.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 17:47   Link #860
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
To re-quote your own post,
The answer is, no! I'm pretty sure you weren't talking about winning or losing, rather the kind of match-up problem it would pose for Arata just because he reached the A-rank few years later than the current Queen. In that similar line of thought, Chihaiya had absolutely no chance at taking a single card against the Queen because Chihaiya reached A-rank at 16, or was it 15 ( I know she just had her birthday).

The rest of your post pretty much reiterates what I said above. I agree that talent still needs to be cultivated just because talent alone doesn't automatically translate into success.
Actually, my point was that, not only does he lose in "cultivation", he loses in raw talent. You can't make the comparison with Chihaya because their circumstances are too different, but that's not so with Arata. He was groomed from a young age to be a champion... and yet didn't do nearly as well as Shinobu.

So ultimately - because that's what we were discussing - I have no reason to think he'll be a good match for Shinobu. I guess I could get excited wondering if he'll get a card... but that's just pathetic. (It's also a feat accomplished by Shinobu's first opponent.)

Of course, maybe it's just that she's some kind of early bloomer and has plateaued, and with some training he'll catch up in no time. But we can tack anything after a "maybe" like that.

Tags
josei, madhouse