AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-13, 11:46   Link #161
4Tran

Chihayafuru - Episode 2

Like just about everyone else, I thought this was a good episode and that this is a good show. What I really appreciate is that it's good because of good characterization, solid writing and interesting direction. It just goes to show that it isn't necessary to have a convoluted plot or complex setting or even a particularly interesting premise to have a good show.

In episode 2, Taichi was an ass, but I still like him because his character dynamic is interesting and because the conflicts that are being setup both make a lot of sense and hold a lot of promise. In the first episode, he was simply an incidental character. Here, he still is to a degree, but he's also become a lot more central to the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Actually she came across as the sole single character I haven't really cared for yet. That seemed like a shallow comment to make...one out of pure ignorance.
I think that that's precisely what the show (and presumably the manga) was trying to address. Some posters in this very thread think that karuta is just a children's game, and the show is trying to demonstrate that it's possible (reasonable?) to be passionate about it. From what I've heard, the Chihayafuru manga caused an upsurge in the number of people playing karuta, so it seems to have been successful in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also Bingo! From what I can tell the game isn't the central focus at all, it's the characters and how playing the game and interacting with each other shapes their outlooks and desires. Show is a character study so far through and through and I don't see it shifting gears at all.
I think that this is only as true as it is for any sports anime and their subject. It's sort of obvious from the way the characters are framed that the show is about the journey of Chihaya becoming the Karuta Queen and Arata becoming the Karuta Meijin. The relationship drama is going to be a strong secondary focus, but it's still secondary to the main goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
You know, I just love the Cardcaptor Sakura feel to this series' production. My favorite this season...after Ben-To.
Cardcaptor Sakura? Can you explain further?

I'm getting a lot of Hikaru no Go vibes from Chihayafuru (it's obvious that the creators are borrowing heavily from that show), but very little from Sakura. The show isn't even going to be a show about children - the flashback is just background for the main story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
get over the flashbacks already!!
The flashbacks have a very specific purpose, and it'd be a shame to be done with them until that purpose is fulfilled.
Old 2011-10-13, 11:57   Link #162
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm getting a lot of Hikaru no Go vibes from Chihayafuru (it's obvious that the creators are borrowing heavily from that show), but very little from Sakura. The show isn't even going to be a show about children - the flashback is just background for the main story.
Hikaru no Go is exactly the vibe I am getting from the show which is nice since it is one of my favorite series.

But as for HNG I only read the manga and after the series was finished so I didn't get to experience it with everyone else like Chihayafuru. I am looking forward to both the series and discussing it with everyone (so far I am really happy to see so much intelligent discussion for this series).
Old 2011-10-13, 12:46   Link #163
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kaoru Chujo, Haak, and Guardian Enzo - Why do you think Taichi is getting overly hated on this thread?....
Actually, I kind of hate him myself. What he does here is really weak and nasty. But I hesitate to let those feelings go too far because I can see how his environment has pushed him toward doing the horrible things he did. In fact, that aspect of things is almost the most interesting thing in this episode. I look forward to seeing him gradually redeem himself over time, to whatever extent he does. This single admission doesn't do it, but it's an amazing first step.

EDIT: I just remembered that early scene where older Taichi told Chihaya he had a girlfriend, but didn't really like her all that much. That was about as low a thing to say as stealing the eyeglasses was to do. But I just have a feeling that we'll see lots more sides to him as this goes on.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-10-13 at 17:01.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 13:25   Link #164
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Oh noes. A sort of real human being in my animu. What do you mean depth?

... sorry, couldn't resist.

Great series so far. It's like a breeze of fresh air in a genre where character building was becoming sort of like that game where you have to invent a character using two characteristics from a limited set. And the set only has 5 elements.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 09:21   Link #165
Flower
Cute as a button! ^^

Well ... finally saw ep 2 ... and I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed with Taichi thus far, and his petty bullying in this ep was annoying and sad, to be sure.

But at the end he did 'fess up, apologized and even "took" being called a coward from Arata. And 'fessing up is a plus for me - especially in light of what we know about him thus far. That takes some doing. To be honest I don't EVER remember seeing or hearing of a target of bullying in elementary/middle school being apologized to by the main offender(s).

Also nice to see some continued backbone from Chihaya. Good for her for standing up to the nonsense that is so much a part of most everyone's growing up (whether they are the target themselves or target others - either actively or passively).

Other than that - yes, a good episode and a good series. To be honest the "excitement" of discovering a solid series last week has calmed down a bit - while it is still not the "leader of the pack" this season for me it certainly is excellent and very worthwhile thus far, and will firmly stay on my "ongoing" list!

8/10 vote from me for ep 2.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 19:02   Link #166
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
I'm a bit late to this ball game. Only just saw episode 1 last night.

First half of the episode felt very much like a shoujo, rather than the neutral Slice of Life I was expecting, and I found myself struggling to accept the characters taking a game of cards like that so seriously, as tends be done often in sports or hobby themed anime.

After about the half way mark of the episode though my thoughts changed a bit - I started to appreciate the feelings behind the card game, rather than the focus on it. Unfortunately the main girl (Chi, was it?) is a rather unbelievable character, and impossible for me to relate to - this is a fairly dooming trait for a slice of life.

However, DemiSoda will stab me in the face if I don't give it another chance, and so I will.
Old 2011-10-15, 02:11   Link #167
SkoolRumble4Ya

I had low expectations of the show when I first read the summary but now this is fucken awesome. Damn Taichi stop being a coward oh well at least he change though.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 16:54   Link #168
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Just watched episode 1, after reading plenty of positive reviews. At first glimpse of the cover and the summary, I predicted this show would revolve most of it's time on the card game, called "karuta", but it wasn't, its only a driving plot device. The concept of the game itself is easily understood, but not playable, if one would try in real life. What really intrigued me, was the subplot romance, with 2 guys and one tomboyish girl. The shows producer is the same as the one who directed "Nana", this is more than enough motivation for me to watch.

Last edited by vansonbee; 2011-10-15 at 17:45.
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 23:10   Link #169
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Exactly.

Honestly, I think people are so used to seeing black and white characters in anime these days that they don't know what to do when a show actually presents something more complicated. The general rule now seems to be you either have to love a character or hate them, period.
Eh? Like american shows or films have multi-dimensional or morally ambigious characters? Some do, but there are way more in late-night anime

On Taichi hate, well he is a bully, makes mean comments, gives the silent treament to a poor classmate, steals, lies, etc. Granted he had his reasons, but then again so does everyone.

Anyway, his mother (the apparent reason) is horrible, not only she ruins her son's childhood, but also grooms a piece of shit that only work in Wall Street, where his skills are highly shout after
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 01:24   Link #170
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Bit late to this series...but hey, it's rapidly becoming one of my tops this season.
Old 2011-10-16, 23:44   Link #171
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Flashbacks for the whole 2nd ep is so pointless to me unless that glasses guy is gonna show up in the next ep then i could understand.

And guys get a life already 4 neg reps for saying i didnt like an episode get over yourselves i can say what i want on forums, that said i dont mean to piss plp off who like this show i simply want to state my opinion on a show whether good or bad and not get these lame kind of neg rep=

1.Chihayafuru 2011-10-13 00:45 you shouldn't be here
2.Chihayafuru 2011-10-13 00:34 Explain
3.Chihayafuru 2011-10-13 00:33 This post lacks content.
4.Chihayafuru 2011-10-13 00:33 That was productive...

1.i know >_> but it might get better so ill stay around
2Shouldnt nee to explain the whole ep was a flashback
3.yeah it does one flashback refence is enough for me
4.i take it thats sarcasm, well i guess i deserve this neg rep since i just came to bitch
Old 2011-10-17, 15:53   Link #172
totoum
Backstop

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
2Shouldnt nee to explain the whole ep was a flashback
What that person meant was explain why a flashback is a bad thing.That's the reason why you got so many neg reps,not because you said you didn't like it but didn't say why you didn't like it.

Now that you've said why we can discuss about it.

Quote:
Flashbacks for the whole 2nd ep is so pointless to me unless that glasses guy is gonna show up in the next ep then i could understand.
I'm like 99% sure he'll show up,unless he died and we havn't been told that.

That's of course if there's a time skip,we could have another episode dedicated to the past.
Old 2011-10-17, 17:06   Link #173
ZODDGUTS

People care about reps? lol

Anyways good episode. Series has been good so far.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 05:49   Link #174
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
What that person meant was explain why a flashback is a bad thing.That's the reason why you got so many neg reps,not because you said you didn't like it but didn't say why you didn't like it.

fair enough then. but i just dont like flashbacks at all
I just hope it starts next ep since i liked the 1st ep
Old 2011-10-18, 06:39   Link #175
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
I think it's kinda obvious the flashbacks are just a set up....

I dunno, I never read it but it sure seems strongly that way...
Old 2011-10-18, 07:40   Link #176
totoum
Backstop

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
It's all a question of point of view.
You could say the beginning of the 1st episode was a flash forward and that since then it's the "present" rather than viewing it as a flashback.
Old 2011-10-18, 14:54   Link #177
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Favorite show of the season, after three episodes. Tears in my eyes a couple of times. Well directed. Well written. Well voiced.

Flashback, smashback. It's all good. One good thing about the younger characters, we get to hear Takagaki Ayahi doing a boy (Taichi).

More images of Seto Asami keep showing up, as she will have a leading role in next January's Rinne no Lagrange. Here she is with her co-stars in that show, Ishihara Kaori (half of YuiKaori with Ogura Yui), and Kayano Ai (perched on left-hand stool):
Spoiler for images:
Not a sweet or smooth voice, but one that can convey plenty of life and emotion. She and Kaori are both 18, Kayanon is 24.

Here, again, is a site with texts, translations, and other info for the poetry collection karuta is based on.

EDIT: Not a "tearjerker," really. I'm just easily moved, lol.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 14:58   Link #178
Sides

Oh no, tearjerker episode, or some sort. I guess next week is back to the present time. I find that the pacing in this episode was better than last one, they kind of skipped to the interesting events in their past, that kind of summerised how they became (best) buddies and why they parted way.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 15:18   Link #179
Haak
F**k my life...

Episode 3.

This show unbelievably brilliant, there's no doubt about that. I came in with no expectations and I'm getting something that's potentially better than Fate/Zero. And I was throwing a massive hissy fit over Fate/Zero for most of the entire year. Despite the break neck speed of events covered in this episode I was still totally engrossed and actually nearly teared up when Arata started crying. And that's certainly not easy for an anime to do.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-10-18 at 15:29.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 16:49   Link #180
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
FEDIT: Not a "tearjerker," really. I'm just easily moved, lol.
I wouldn't go as far as calling this episode a tearjerker, but it was definitely very moving. Only three episodes in and I'm already in love with the three main characters; yes, even Taichi! Well, "love" is a bit of an exaggeration in his case but he was definitely likable this week, it helps that he didn't act like an ass - quite the contrary, in fact. His small kind gestures didn't go unnoticed (giving a sick Arata his bobble hat, worrying about his grandfather's health, etc...).

On top of doing a superb job breathing life into the characters, they've done well in making me interested in Karuta. The more I watch, the more I think this is an awesome game. The team match was great (loved Arata's attitude ).

This series is the sleeper hit of the season, no doubt. I can only hope it'll remain as strong all the way through.

Tags
josei, madhouse