AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-14, 03:43   Link #1
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Lightbulb Top anime suggestions from 2010/early 2011 please

I was looking around in General Chat to see if we had a sticky poll on the top series people thought for each year, together with discussion and chat but there seems to be nothing like that on Asuki (if there is please link me)

But yeah I've been out of the anime scene for almost 2 years now.
2009 caught me checking out Needless (which I loved)
Aside from following Naruto, FMA 2, Bleach (after an 18 month break cause I couldn't be arsed with it anymore), as for new, simple 24 ep series, I've grabbed nothing new.

The top 5 that seem to be out there for 2010 are:

durarara, angel beats, rainbow, arawaka under bridge and Katanagatari
(oh, and the Inuyasha remake)

Anime I'm not interested in, so no need to mention:
Harui
K-on
High school of the Dead

My general likes are shounen anime (if you hadn't guessed)
Action, fighting, fantasy & magic, samurai, martial arts, dark fantasy are my cup of tea.

Things I generally dislike:
Fanservice
Slice of life (that really is touch and go with me, depending on the series and characters)
Moe, cute girls or female magic fighters (touch and go but nothing decent has appeared recently since Claymore)
Mecha (Give me something as good as TTGL and I'll consider it, lol)

On occasion I will try to step out of my realm, which looking about that'd be with Durarara and Arakawa, they're series I'd otherwise not bother with but wanna trying to broaden my viewing lately.

Also 2011 is half done, if there are more suggestions from winter 2010/2011 or Spring 2011, let me know please

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2011-07-14, 10:17   Link #2
sangofe

"Action, fighting, fantasy & magic, samurai, martial arts, dark fantasy are my cup of tea."

You've seen FMA Brotherhood, I guess? But if you haven't, get to it.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:19   Link #3
Westlo
Lets be reality

Watch Ao no Exorcist.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:45   Link #4
Ziziphus
Whatever

First of all, I don't know what other ppl consider top anime from 2010/early 2011 so those below are just my personal choices.

Titles from 2010/2011 that may interest you:
(* indicates on-going series)

Spoiler for length:

Titles from 2010/2011 that may not be your cup of tea (not your favorite genres) but I recommend them anyway b/c they're great:

The Tatami Galaxy
Working!!
Wandering Son
Ano Hana
Steins;Gate*
Hanasaku Iroha*

I suddenly feel lazy lose the will to write my opinions about them, so I'd just say that they're all titles I greatly enjoyed watching and all are very well-executed anime with a lot of care put into them.

(Btw, for reference, here's a thread for 2010 Animesuki Choice Awards winners.)
Old 2011-07-14, 10:47   Link #5
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Eidt: ninja'd

Yeah I think Ziziphus done a better job than I did anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I was looking around in General Chat to see if we had a sticky poll on the top series people thought for each year, together with discussion and chat but there seems to be nothing like that on Asuki (if there is please link me)
The closest thing we have is the Animesuki Awards or the seasonal review threads (but those have fallen a bit out of fashion sometime ago)
Quote:
durarara, angel beats, rainbow, arawaka under bridge and Katanagatari
(oh, and the Inuyasha remake)

Anime I'm not interested in, so no need to mention:
Harui
K-on
High school of the Dead

My general likes are shounen anime (if you hadn't guessed)
Action, fighting, fantasy & magic, samurai, martial arts, dark fantasy are my cup of tea.

Things I generally dislike:
Fanservice
Slice of life (that really is touch and go with me, depending on the series and characters)
Moe, cute girls or female magic fighters (touch and go but nothing decent has appeared recently since Claymore)
Mecha (Give me something as good as TTGL and I'll consider it, lol)

Also 2011 is half done, if there are more suggestions from winter 2010/2011 or Spring 2011, let me know please
You could try:

Blue Exorcist (seems to match your tastes the most. Pretty high production values, good OST, good VA, and pretty much solid Shonen Action fare)
X-men (A bit risky, but still a good action show)
LEVEL E (Comedy Shonen anime)
TIGER & BUNNY (Action show. Sort of a reconstruction/tribute to superhero comics + older anime)
Dog Days (Again, risky, since it's more a fluff action show with a pretty lighthearted plot. But still good action bits here and there)
House of Five Leaves (more drama based, but it does involve samurai)

Other shows that you might want to check out:

Bakuman
Letter Bee (this is more melodramatic than typical Shonen action anime, but it's also pretty heartwarming)
C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (have really low expectations while watching this :P)
Gintama
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (since Slice of Life is a touch and go, try this one and see if it clicks with you)
The World God Only Knows (Romantic/Comedy based anime, with really low fanservice (nearly none existent. Give it a try)
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (an anime running pretty much on ''cool''. It's pretty fanservice heavy, and can be pretty sensational for a lot of peoples tastes tho)
Star Driver (Mecha action anime that is about youth. Pretty formulaic with it's structure, and the message is pretty idealistic, but has great music and visuals, and the characters are generally likable)

Stuff from this season (Summer) if your curious what might catch your fancy:

Sacred Seven (this show was made for you)
No.6
Kamisama Dolls
Blood-C (depends on how much you like CLAMP tho)
Old 2011-07-14, 11:58   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'll second the currently airing Steins;Gate. From 2010, I think Shiki and Giant Killing might have some appeal for you. This was my top 10 (11) list of 2010.
Old 2011-07-14, 13:29   Link #7
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
I'll second Madoka Magica despite being a magical girl series[thus female fighters], it's very much a dark fantasy series for most of the story, so I'd suggest also giving it three episodes.

I'll also second Steins;Gate unless you're very much againist a sci-fi/time travel as a genre, as it's been a great series so far.

Also I assume you've seen Katanagatari since you mentioned it ,
Spoiler for in case you haven't:

Another series with some female fighters, but the males fight too here... so I think it's balanced enough for the cast, Otome Youkai Zakuro, though it's only 13 episodes, but it's a very enjoyable action/romance/fantasy series really.

Outside your main genre; I'd second The World God Only Knows, Working!!, Wandering Son, and Ano Hana.
Old 2011-07-14, 17:49   Link #8
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Wow, so many from Zizi, I've gotten lost now, but many, many thanks xD

And no I've not seen anything new from 2010 that includes Katanagatari or the top 5 that I mentioned. From now it's to research, peek at subbers and then download and then try.

Such hard work to come, lol.

Blue Exorcists seems to be Jump's latest deal, so I'll give it a glance, though haven't heard anything about it here (then again, I need to step into Animate and see what's selling well)
Xmen, I wanna see but tons of series lately are instant licenced so not so easy to catch anymore, have to investigate about.

I have heard/seen a fair amount of popularity for Black Butler with the natives too but first it'd be to catch series 1 before getting 2, so that'll i'll keep in mind...

Madoka Magica
: Cute looking girls which are enough to put me instant off doing scary, creepy things with many mindf3$ks, so I'm reading in the general concensus.
This I will pass on to a few others first but seeing it and yeah, most are saying, get to ep 3 first, lol.
It all goes crazy from there huh...

So what to try first, probably Katanagatari. (It looks weird too, lol)
But it seems to be a general fav, outside of Asuki as well as in the award poll, so let's see how we go.

Shiki, Ao Excorcist, Rainbow are others that I'll follow up too as well as a few 'slice of life'/drama shows, not my usual cup of tea, but from Zizi's list, the short story ones have potential.

Many thanks everyone

PS: Comedy wise, I just hunted down the last 2 eps of Seto no Hanayome, a series I've been struggling to finish since 2007 cause of MIA subbers, lol. I had to have my arm twisted for that one before I'd give it a chance, but Yakuza, taking the piss out of soooooo many Japanese cultural and Hollywood movie references, as well as split personalities between the characters had me laughing and watching it over and over (and getting others hooked, lol)
Granted, the screaming and shouting got too much if watching a few eps in a row, it's good to watch once a week and a nice change from my shounen festa

Something like that is an anime that can slowly get me into the comedy genre more and more, so just tossing that out there

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder

Last edited by Mystique; 2011-07-14 at 18:07.
Old 2011-07-14, 18:20   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You might also want to take a look at this thread, though I'm usually not interested in shounen series. Still some good recommendations there.

Of 2011 shows, I've enjoyed Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari, Level E, Madoka, Moshidora, and Azazel-san.

Madoka is in a class by itself. It's always hard to believe that a show with lots of hype is actually worth the clamor, but you should watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica regardless of your opinions about magical girls. It's certainly the best anime series I've seen since Cross Game. Though House of Five Leaves comes close, it's hard to compete with Shinbo, Urobuchi, Aoki, and Kajiura at the tops of their games.
Old 2011-07-15, 02:11   Link #10
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'll second the currently airing Steins;Gate. From 2010, I think Shiki and Giant Killing might have some appeal for you. This was my top 10 (11) list of 2010.
She really doesn't like sports ^^;
Old 2011-07-15, 02:48   Link #11
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

for a 2010 action, fighting, magic, fantasy, with dark serious tones (plot-wise), yet mixed with some light comedy at times, add a touch of complex plot: not the best adaptation of the original light novel series, but you can try Legend of the Legendary Heroes (Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu). Make sure you watch till at least episode 3 before judging anything, since episode 1 was not very good. and don't read the wiki, since there are massive spoilers.

this is a good review:
http://www.anime-evo.net/2011/01/01/...heroes-review/

Last edited by larethian; 2011-07-15 at 04:17.
Old 2011-07-15, 03:33   Link #12
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
PeaceMaker
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=2763

Basilisk (has a girl that fights)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4318

Samurai Deeper Kyo
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=1133

Berserk (has a girl that fights)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=328

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-07-15, 18:42   Link #13
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
for a 2010 action, fighting, magic, fantasy, with dark serious tones (plot-wise), yet mixed with some light comedy at times, add a touch of complex plot: not the best adaptation of the original light novel series, but you can try Legend of the Legendary Heroes (Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu). Make sure you watch till at least episode 3 before judging anything, since episode 1 was not very good. and don't read the wiki, since there are massive spoilers.

this is a good review:
http://www.anime-evo.net/2011/01/01/...heroes-review/
I was well up for that, but I read around some of the reviews, it had great potential but kinda flopped at the end and had a botch job of an ending for the last episode as if something went horribly wrong in the production studio.

You can testify if the story went dodgy for me otherwise I have seen ep 1 but left it, dunno if I'll resume it later though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervZero View Post
PeaceMaker Seen it
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=2763

Basilisk (has a girl that fights) Seen it
(and dude, this abuses all the women who fight in one of the cruelest ways ever. PS: I'm never translating edo period Japanese after this mental trauma, lol)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4318

Samurai Deeper Kyo Seen it, however, I can't remember if I finished the series, so maybe I'll hit this classic again once more
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=1133

Berserk (has a girl that fights)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=328
Berserk I'm on the fence about, but it's a classic
(like the others you mentioned, I only need new anime as of the last 18 months, as is my title of this thread)
It'll be easy to access if I wanna try it

Old 2011-07-15, 23:13   Link #14
sangofe

There is a new Berserk anime coming out, so try that when it it's out
Old 2011-07-15, 23:27   Link #15
GreatTeacherKen

@Mystique,

If you don't like seeing women abused, I should give you heads up about Berserk as said female character that fights suffers a horrible fate. It's a great series, but it certainly isn't a pleasant one.
Old 2011-07-20, 21:10   Link #16
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
I was well up for that, but I read around some of the reviews, it had great potential but kinda flopped at the end and had a botch job of an ending for the last episode as if something went horribly wrong in the production studio.

You can testify if the story went dodgy for me otherwise I have seen ep 1 but left it, dunno if I'll resume it later though...
I cannot testify because it's subjective, and I already read the light novels, and translating the sequel at baka-tsuki. but I can tell you the reason and it's because this series is a prequel to a bigger story, and since when the anime is ending, it feels like the another story is beginning, at a darker and more epic scale. so people didn't feel they get a satisfactory ending, since there is no confirmation of a second season and more questions were popped out, though from the way they end, they didn't exactly close the possibility of a second season, so I'm still hopeful. but I think it's still a good watch and it fits almost everything you're looking for. I suggest you give it until episode 3. most people I know who watched till episode 3 stayed till the end. you can always continue the story at baka-tsuki. even if you are not a light novel reader, you might be surprised after this. incidentally, this has the highest number of requests on baka-tsuki today.

EDIT: the supposedly botched job of the last episode is because they try to round things up a little and differ a little from the novel, but it doesn't yet close the possibility of a second season or another studio picking up in the future.
Old 2011-07-20, 21:56   Link #17
poisui

Instead of generalizing and say, "Absolutely no this and that," consider giving first episode of these series a try. You never know, they may end up changing your mind.

These are my most memorable anime series from 2010 to 2011 that are complete:
- The World God Only Knows 1 and 2
- KissXSis (2010)
- Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janaindakara ne!!
- Bakuman
- Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

I didn't like Deadman Wonderland but you may end up liking it. It is very dark.
Old 2011-07-20, 23:38   Link #18
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Watch up to episode 3 of Madoka Magica. Trust us. Best show of the year.

Katanagatari

And I think you might also like Tiger & Bunny.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-07-21, 03:16   Link #19
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Dance in the Vampire Bund (2010... little extreme....) But it is dark.... and has action and romance.... in a kind of twisted way.....
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10948

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-07-21, 03:29   Link #20
totoum
Oppai warrior

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Believe me when I say that Madoka Magica is a whole lot closer to claymore than you might think just by looking at the promo images.Going into why I say that would be spoilerish though.

I'll also third Steins Gate and say that you're making some good choices in shiki,ao no exorcist and rainbow

I'll add in another recomendation for Ano Hana as well,lots of people who say they don't usualy like slice of life liked that one (I don't personaly consider it slice of life but that's for another thread)

And finaly I'll add a recomendation for Level E, all I can say about it is "I wonder how this got past Jump's editorial department,it pretty much has nothing to do with other things that get published in it".