AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-21, 10:45   Link #21
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervZero View Post
Dance in the Vampire Bund (2010... little extreme....) But it is dark.... and has action and romance.... in a kind of twisted way.....
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10948
I can agree with a number of suggestions, others can be subjective; but Dance in the Vampire Bund is a piece of crap. The manga is ok, it's a mix of vampires, werewolves, romance and politics; but nothing too spectacular (though the disclaimer is that I've not caught up for the past year), but the anime adaptation is pretty much crap and worse than the manga imho.
Old 2011-07-24, 21:13   Link #22
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by posutan View Post
Instead of generalizing and say, "Absolutely no this and that," consider giving first episode of these series a try. You never know, they may end up changing your mind.
Truuust me, it rarely happens, lol.
One example is from KissxSis, I read one manga story of that online before the anime series began cause I was curious as to why the guys(men) were tripping over it and it just confirmed everything I hate about that kinda genre that I happily insulted/tore it to pieces on IRC, lol.

I guess the reason I can generalise it cause there are always certain kind of characteristics with certain genre that defines each class.
And if i don't like a majority of those characteristics, then short of one or two elements being exceptional to make up for it, it will not get me bothering with the series.
I don't usually go for 'slice of life' but I've seen Onegai Teacher 3 times over the last 7 years and I rarely rewatch an anime series twice. Stories and characters are what get to me, if I'm hooked there, then things I typically dislike can be tolerated.
(And it had an amazing episode 1 that continued from strength to strength)

But if I have to struggle to get into it against something I usually reject, it's just a struggle, becomes no fun.
So yeah, I'm a stubborn ass
Quote:
These are my most memorable anime series from 2010 to 2011 that are complete:
- The World God Only Knows 1 and 2
- KissXSis (2010)
- Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janaindakara ne!!
- Bakuman
- Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

I didn't like Deadman Wonderland but you may end up liking it. It is very dark.
Since I got a mini list of 2010 anime to check, I'm good for now but will ANN/anidb these later.
Cept the 'twincest' one, short of you wanting me on a ranting spree

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2011-07-24, 21:23   Link #23
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Watch up to episode 3 of Madoka Magica. Trust us. Best show of the year.

Katanagatari

And I think you might also like Tiger & Bunny.
I passed Madoka to my best friend cause he likes magical females more than me, but knowing that I don't like moe (esp looks/voice and that ugh, 'cuteness', kill it with fire!), I asked him to get to that magical 'ep 3' and let me know if it's worth it.
I'm on the fence about it.

Katanagatari
I've seen ep 1.
Togame and the ninja in it talked far too damn much, it was annoying. But if I'm sensing right, it's a ploy to explain the entire series (set the scene and purpose) in ep1, so the rest can just focus on the mission at hand (hopefully)

However I have fallen in love with the main male character (just his personality, his way of thinking and his innocence), so he ties me to the series for now. I am working hard to stop thinking 'it looks like something from cartoon network, espeically for a Sengoku/period Japanese anime'.

It doesn't have the usual athestic beauty associated with historical anime but I'll deal if Shichika continues to charm me as he has so far

Tiger and Bunny, I won't write it off at all but nothing I wanna see asap.
As mentioned below, I got about 3-4 lined about already, so it'll take very precious time that I have to work through a lot, these can easily last me until end of 2011 (by then, I'd have seen nothing of 2011, lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Believe me when I say that Madoka Magica is a whole lot closer to claymore than you might think just by looking at the promo images.Going into why I say that would be spoilerish though.

I'll also third Steins Gate and say that you're making some good choices in shiki,ao no exorcist and rainbow

I'll add in another recomendation for Ano Hana as well,lots of people who say they don't usualy like slice of life liked that one (I don't personaly consider it slice of life but that's for another thread)

And finaly I'll add a recomendation for Level E, all I can say about it is "I wonder how this got past Jump's editorial department,it pretty much has nothing to do with other things that get published in it".
But many thanks for everyone's input, it's nice to see what was making waves last year, truly appreciate it

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2011-07-25, 03:58   Link #24
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I passed Madoka to my best friend cause he likes magical females more than me, but knowing that I don't like moe (esp looks/voice and that ugh, 'cuteness', kill it with fire!)
Let me try again,here's a quote from madoka magica

Quote:
With kindness comes na´vetÚ. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a magical girl.
How many times have you heard that in a magical girl show?
Old 2011-07-26, 07:44   Link #25
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Katanagatari is very wordy up through the 3rd episode. But the 4th episode... wow. Just wow.

Also, I didn't mention it because it didn't fit with your preferred Genre, but in the Animesuki Choice Awards Cross Game was one of the big winners. (Click my signature for a plot summary).

Maybe the thread linked above will help you find other good shows from last year.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-07-26, 08:48   Link #26
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Katanagatari is very wordy up through the 3rd episode. But the 4th episode... wow. Just wow.
Thank goodness cause did they really waste 1/5 of episode two talking about catchphrases and having Togame slander Shichika's sweet nature while spouting out a lot of BS?
She needs to be kicked some more methinks xD

Even despite that, it gets tense when Shichika has to fight so I get 'compensated' with that and I still think that he's a darling

Quote:
Also, I didn't mention it because it didn't fit with your preferred Genre, but in the Animesuki Choice Awards Cross Game was one of the big winners. (Click my signature for a plot summary).

Maybe the thread linked above will help you find other good shows from last year.
I saw the thread and I'll pass. That's nothing against the anime itself, but I've zero interest in baseball.
(or as someone mentioned, I don't like sport anime).
You've PoT to thank for that, I'd rather keep those two categories seperate, lol.
(If someone kicks my ass enough I may try slam dunk someday tho)

PS: totoum - A+ for effort but I'm not gonna check it out in a hurry at all, not with 3 other series listed for 2010 that are on my waiting shelf as well.
The best I did instead of completely writing it off was to pass it on to someone to get their opinion on it first. (who actually likes that genre)
The point of that is they know my offline character and pickiness more than anyone here, so I'll wait to hear the results

Can't say I've heard that kinda line either since it's not a genre I watch much anyways since Sailor Moon, lol.

Old 2011-07-27, 07:34   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm going to mention House of Five Leaves once more, though you'll probably find it too slow. It's still one of my top two or three completed shows from the past 18 months.
Old 2011-07-27, 21:58   Link #28
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I saw the thread and I'll pass. That's nothing against the anime itself, but I've zero interest in baseball.
(or as someone mentioned, I don't like sport anime).
You've PoT to thank for that, I'd rather keep those two categories seperate, lol.
(If someone kicks my ass enough I may try slam dunk someday tho)
Ok,I'll leave you alone on Madoka but I might want to "kick your ass" (with no bad feelings intended ) after reading what you just wrote.

There's people that don't even know the rules to baseball that have watched and enjoyed cross game.

I'd say it's closer to something like Ranma 1/2 than to something like slam dunk.

Don't you have another friend who could test this one too?And I'm not even asking for 3 episodes like in Madoka,just 1 should be enough to decide.

edit: wow I missed the prince of tennis reference,Cross game has nothing to do with that

here's a link presenting the series better than I can : http://www.lostinanime.com/2010/06/w...our-faith.html

Last edited by totoum; 2011-07-28 at 05:33.
Old 2011-07-27, 23:39   Link #29
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
PoT?

Prince of Tennis?

Ugh...

Cross Game is an Adachi work, so it's not your typical shonen sports show. You might want to give it two episodes. That should probably be enough to see if it's something you'd like.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-07-28, 10:13   Link #30
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Ok,I'll leave you alone on Madoka but I might want to "kick your ass" (with no bad feelings intended ) after reading what you just wrote.

There's people that don't even know the rules to baseball that have watched and enjoyed cross game.

I'd say it's closer to something like Ranma 1/2 than to something like slam dunk.

Don't you have another friend who could test this one too?And I'm not even asking for 3 episodes like in Madoka,just 1 should be enough to decide.

edit: wow I missed the prince of tennis reference,Cross game has nothing to do with that

here's a link presenting the series better than I can : http://www.lostinanime.com/2010/06/w...our-faith.html
*laughs*

I know, I know, I'm being deliberate pendantic here
(Baseball only isn't the only thing going for the anime otherwise it wouldn't be a hit), but it's not up my alley at present as something I really wanna try and see asap, at least it's been alighted on my radar.
This thread is subscribed to I'll be dipping into here over the months to grab more series from that have already been suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm going to mention House of Five Leaves once more, though you'll probably find it too slow. It's still one of my top two or three completed shows from the past 18 months.
I did read Enzo's blog for 2010, which he mentioned Five Leaves, so based off his review, I'm passing it to my mate who'll probably be all over this happily
I'm already on Katanagatari (currently on a series at a time but because it's 50mins, i may start dl another for a 25min a go escapism)

I probably would at present find it slow and give up on it.
(As I've been watching Monster since 2004 now)
By that I mean, there's no drive for me to marathon it, I have all the episodes but have dropped (or literally I just totally forget about it) for months at a time that 7 dammed years later, I still am at some random episode 40 something and yet to complete it.

Anime for me namely is escapism, or intensity (I know someone will scream 'madoka' at this point, lol), which is why shounen shows, guts, fights, magic, action and fast paced tension works so well. I don't wanna overly analyse or think much (not at present in my life) or go with the pace of 'daily life' (slice of life stuff), I want something thats far from reality and kinda crazy.

Hence I've already listed the next 3 that'll follow Katanagatari, when I'm done with those I'll glance my eyes at other stuff. To struggle with something that doesn't really work will only become another Monster, I won't even remember that it exists or have a care to follow since there's no drive.

I should say in advance that for about 8-10 of the reccomendations, I'm splitting it between me and my mate and then exchanging opinions with him on what's good, so everyone's suggestions aren't going to waste even if I'm 'hell no' about it.
Though to give madoka some credit where it's due, my mate's enjoying it (at ep 7 atm), so he may sway me once he figures out a way to help me get over my dislike to moe looking characters and squeaky voices to boot that just instantly make me wanna grab a flamethrower x.x;;

Closed Thread