AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-05, 08:10   Link #721
xip
future tekken lord
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidvanz View Post
Love it. Good to see the TV spots are getting better and better.
xip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 08:37   Link #722
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco

__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 08:39   Link #723
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Man, Kojima sure gets around a lot

Hopefully this gives him some inspiration for a new game *hint hint*
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 09:12   Link #724
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
You know your movie is a hit when Kojima and Gaiman praises it.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 11:42   Link #725
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
A couple more tweets:


__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 11:56   Link #726
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Kojima to FOX Staff .... I want Otakon to be the next MC in Metal gear series , He get to pilot A powered up MG REX while fighting a gaint cyborg Kaiju , while in the background Raiden and Wolf is protecting Sunny
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 11:58   Link #727
solidvanz
Special Operative
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Malaysia
Age: 29
Send a message via Yahoo to solidvanz


__________________
solidvanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 12:24   Link #728
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
To continue my earlier post: the trailers do show a gigantic underwater explosion, as well as Gipsy Danger planting its wrist-blade into the ground so as to brace itself against the incoming shockwave, so it's possible the abyssal nuking idea has already been tried - or at the very least considered - by the top brass (compared to building a >2,500t Jaeger, creating a small high pressure-resistant nuke and steering it into the crevasse is MUCH easier and far more affordable).

But odds are that the portal generator lies beyond the said portal and a deep incursion is required in order to close it. Who knows - maybe the generator is actually a super-kaiju and the only way to shut the opening between dimensions is to kill the creature in its own homeworld.
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 13:01   Link #729
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Who knows - maybe the generator is actually a super-kaiju and the only way to shut the opening between dimensions is to kill the creature in its own homeworld.
Spoiler for Well:
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 14:19   Link #730
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
To continue my earlier post: the trailers do show a gigantic underwater explosion, as well as Gipsy Danger planting its wrist-blade into the ground so as to brace itself against the incoming shockwave, so it's possible the abyssal nuking idea has already been tried - or at the very least considered - by the top brass (compared to building a >2,500t Jaeger, creating a small high pressure-resistant nuke and steering it into the crevasse is MUCH easier and far more affordable).

But odds are that the portal generator lies beyond the said portal and a deep incursion is required in order to close it. Who knows - maybe the generator is actually a super-kaiju and the only way to shut the opening between dimensions is to kill the creature in its own homeworld.
Well according to the TV spots the scientists are trying to get hold of a Kaiju brain so perhaps they're trying to unlock some information that could give them an idea on how to shut it down properly.

It may not be a nuke since we don't see Gipsy or Striker carrying anything when they go for a stroll in the sea. It maybe something they have to destroy.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 15:47   Link #731
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
I'm assuming it's Striker Eureka blowing up.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 18:43   Link #732
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
So, would the King of Monsters be from the other side of the Rift? Or would he be from our side and mutated by all the Kaiju and nuclear activity?

Because Godzilla would need a backstory if used in this world.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 18:59   Link #733
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Well according to the TV spots the scientists are trying to get hold of a Kaiju brain so perhaps they're trying to unlock some information that could give them an idea on how to shut it down properly.
In which case a (neuro)toxin might be the ideal weapon - but its method of delivery would be problematic. A biological warfare device would be relatively cost effective (one of those anti-kaiju missiles on the Striker Eureka could even serve as a giant syringe ), but rapid propagation of the toxin throughout the kaiju's body and possible ecological collateral damage would be difficult hurdles to clear. Additionally, the kaiju bodies are literally rippling with toxins and other caustic/radioactive substances, so there is a (remote) possibility their unique biology imparts them with a natural form of Mithridatism, so...why bother injecting the kaijus with a poison when they're already walking poison encyclopedias? XD

Quote:
It may not be a nuke since we don't see Gipsy or Striker carrying anything when they go for a stroll in the sea. It maybe something they have to destroy.
Nukes needn't be as large as the silly Tsar Bomba (which was so large the Soviet bomber that carried had its bomb bay cut open). You can search "W87", "W80" and even "Davy Crockett (nuclear device)" on Wikipedia to get an idea of how small nuclear warheads can be (and, yes, I know one should still adjust the overall dimensions for the presence of a high-tensile steel hull designed to protect the nuke from extreme water pressure) - heck, back in the Cold War the US even invented backpack nukes (with a max yield of 1kt, maybe, but powerful enough to inflict tremendous damage on a battlefield). For all we know, the warhead could be attached to the Jaeger's skirt armor or even inside the said Jaeger's body (hey, Striker Eureka has chest launchers, remember?) - and we just didn't notice it.
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-07-05 at 19:15.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 19:41   Link #734
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
In which case a (neuro)toxin might be the ideal weapon - but its method of delivery would be problematic. A biological warfare device would be relatively cost effective (one of those anti-kaiju missiles on the Striker Eureka could even serve as a giant syringe ), but rapid propagation of the toxin throughout the kaiju's body and possible ecological collateral damage would be difficult hurdles to clear. Additionally, the kaiju bodies are literally rippling with toxins and other caustic/radioactive substances, so there is a (remote) possibility their unique biology imparts them with a natural form of Mithridatism, so...why bother injecting the kaijus with a poison when they're already walking poison encyclopedias? XD
No no I meant the portal. They are looking into the brain in order to unlock the portal secrets.

Quote:
Nukes needn't be as large as the silly Tsar Bomba (which was so large the Soviet bomber that carried had its bomb bay cut open). You can search "W87", "W80" and even "Davy Crockett (nuclear device)" on Wikipedia to get an idea of how small nuclear warheads can be (and, yes, I know one should still adjust the overall dimensions for the presence of a high-tensile steel hull designed to protect the nuke from extreme water pressure) - heck, back in the Cold War the US even invented backpack nukes (with a max yield of 1kt, maybe, but powerful enough to inflict tremendous damage on a battlefield). For all we know, the warhead could be attached to the Jaeger's skirt armor or even inside the said Jaeger's body (hey, Striker Eureka has chest launchers, remember?) - and we just didn't notice it.
There's also a possibility that they forgot the bomb so they had to improvise
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 00:29   Link #735
JokerD
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
To continue my earlier post: the trailers do show a gigantic underwater explosion, as well as Gipsy Danger planting its wrist-blade into the ground so as to brace itself against the incoming shockwave, so it's possible the abyssal nuking idea has already been tried - or at the very least considered - by the top brass (compared to building a >2,500t Jaeger, creating a small high pressure-resistant nuke and steering it into the crevasse is MUCH easier and far more affordable).

But odds are that the portal generator lies beyond the said portal and a deep incursion is required in order to close it. Who knows - maybe the generator is actually a super-kaiju and the only way to shut the opening between dimensions is to kill the creature in its own homeworld.
In terms of boom what effect would the water pressure and the armor of the bomb which needs to withstand the said pressure have on the nuclear explosion. I guessing it would make the damage much smaller compared to on land since the explosion would need to get through the super thick casing (which is build to withstand pressure in the first place) then try to propagate through the high pressure environment...
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 13:01   Link #736
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
In which case a (neuro)toxin might be the ideal weapon - but its method of delivery would be problematic. A biological warfare device would be relatively cost effective (one of those anti-kaiju missiles on the Striker Eureka could even serve as a giant syringe ), but rapid propagation of the toxin throughout the kaiju's body and possible ecological collateral damage would be difficult hurdles to clear. Additionally, the kaiju bodies are literally rippling with toxins and other caustic/radioactive substances, so there is a (remote) possibility their unique biology imparts them with a natural form of Mithridatism, so...why bother injecting the kaijus with a poison when they're already walking poison encyclopedias? XD
I don't know man. Kaiju have an internal philology that seems to consist of NOTHING but hyper toxic material. The closest analogy that I can think of is the Xenomorph from alien, seeing as how they're full of nothing but hyper melty acid. This doesn't seem like the kind of creature we'd easily find something that could kill it chemically. And there's a better question. How deadly to humans would whatever you could use to a poison a kaiju be?




And another absolutely horrible thought that just occurred to me with regards to the Flying Kaiju Otachi.

1. Otachi flys into low earth orbit
2.Otachi orients himself downwards, and aims himself at a city
3. Otachi begins diving until he reaches terminal velocity
4. Otachi crashes into the ground as an orbital kill vehicle, splattering himself all over the cities landscape


Oh jesus fucking christ.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 15:10   Link #737
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
The closest analogy that I can think of is the Xenomorph from alien, seeing as how they're full of nothing but hyper melty acid.
[nag] Technically they're filled with a substance that only becomes extremely acid once it enters in contact with air and reacts with oxygen, or so I've read somewhere. [/nag]

But then again, unlike the Xenomorph,
Spoiler:

Quote:
How deadly to humans would whatever you could use to a poison a kaiju be?
Maybe if the recovery teams could isolate kaiju proteins they could cut and refold them in an anomalous way, so that they will behave like prions. But this approach has several downsides and unknowns, such as incubation time, possible tolerance towards protein fragments, etc.

Edit: whoops, misread your sentence.

Quote:
And another absolutely horrible thought that just occurred to me with regards to the Flying Kaiju Otachi.

1. Otachi flys into low earth orbit
2.Otachi orients himself downwards, and aims himself at a city
3. Otachi begins diving until he reaches terminal velocity
4. Otachi crashes into the ground as an orbital kill vehicle, splattering himself all over the cities landscape


Oh jesus fucking christ.
That'd only work if the average kaiju intelligence is evolved enough to wrap itself around the concept of self-sacrifice (a form of apoptosis or self-destructive behavior?) and override the innate reflex of self-preservation. Granted, some animals are capable of risking their lives (like a mother would protect her young tooth and nail), but for the sake of a strategy so that others (even members of a different kaiju species) may succeed where they've left off? That would be a first, but then again I'm no expert on the animal kingdom, even the species that should belong to the field of cryptozoology. >P

I do, however, lend more credence to the scenario of a kaiju doing something self-destructive in its death throes, just to..."have the last word", so to speak. A last show of spite.

...
...
...
OTOH...
...
...Imagine a flying kaiju playing bomberman like...like the pigeons of our world...
...Yeah, with that type of bomb.
...
...
...Doubly gross, right?
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-07-07 at 15:41.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 15:59   Link #738
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Granted, some animals are capable of risking their lives (like a mother would protect her young tooth and nail), but for the sake of a strategy so that others (even members of a different kaiju species) may succeed where they've left off? That would be a first, but then again I'm no expert on the animal kingdom, even the species that should belong to the field of cryptozoology. >P
How would it be a first? They persist in attacking human cities even while being chopped to bits by sustained military attack. And they never seem to back down against Jaegers, even when normal animals would occasionally choose to back down than engage in dangerous combat against strong enemies like Jaegers. The entire spectrum of Kaiju behavior is entirely built around abandoning self preservation in pursuit of some higher strategy.

Kaiju physiology ties directly into their hyper aggressive fearless behavior. Kaiju attack cities without relent...and if they get killed it doesn't matter. The Kaiju blue from their wounds will accomplish this for them. This is far too convenient for anybody who wants to wipe out humanity for this entire setup to be just animal behavior.


Someone is deliberately tweaking the behavior of the Kaiju to make them act in a manner that maximizes the amount of damage they can do to human civilization. Once you're willing to work under that premise, you realize that a flying Kaiju is only a few behavior modifications away from being turned into biological orbital kill vehicle.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 16:12   Link #739
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
How would it be a first? They persist in attacking human cities even while being chopped to bits by sustained military attack. And they never seem to back down against Jaegers, even when normal animals would occasionally choose to back down than engage in dangerous combat against strong enemies like Jaegers. The entire spectrum of Kaiju behavior is entirely built around abandoning self preservation in pursuit of some higher strategy.
I'm talking about the idea of deliberate self-sacrifice, of being able to voluntarily transcend the notion of self-preservation for an objective that does not revolve around survival, territorial defense and/or well-being of its own community (namely, maintaining the pressure on Humanity), if any.

Second, the first I'm referring to is our own animal kingdom. As far as I know (and again I reiterate the fact that I'm no expert on animal behavior), we don't have any animals capable of going Achmed the Dead Terrorist (aside, maybe, from the case of the Componotus Saundersi - and even then, the CS only self-detonates in an ultimate act of defense, not attack) because it's the first idea that crosses their mind.

Quote:
Kaiju physiology ties directly into their hyper aggressive fearless behavior. Kaiju attack cities without relent...and if they get killed it doesn't matter.
That I do not deny; what I'm questioning is the idea of them choosing to go kamikaze instead of living to fight another day.
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-07-07 at 16:35.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 17:13   Link #740
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
That I do not deny; what I'm questioning is the idea of them choosing to go kamikaze instead of living to fight another day.
Except that's what the Kaiju do EVERY time they attack a city effectively. Their fate is to attack a city without regard to self preservation, and eventually be killed. There is no functional difference between this and and using themselves as an orbital bomb. Both have equal odds of them being killed.

The only distinction between these two sets of behavior is human moral bias about suicide. Humans angst about the distinction about killing ourselves versus fighting to the death. I don't think giant Kaiju are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
I'm talking about the idea of deliberate self-sacrifice, of being able to voluntarily transcend the notion of self-preservation for an objective that does not revolve around survival, territorial defense and/or well-being of its own community (namely, maintaining the pressure on Humanity), if any.
This is a highly presumptuous assumption. So far we have no evidence that the Kaiju are operating in their own self interest by attacking us. They're losing dozens and dozens of organisms that surely must be energy expensive to create. And they're not getting anything out of it. They' messed up plenty of human cities, but that doesn't exactly benefit them as a species.

Kaiju behavior makes the most sense when you assume that they're being exploited by something else. Something that cultivates them as bioorganic weapons, then modifies their behavior as they see fit.

Think of it as a cross between genetic engineering, domestication, and the parasite that makes snail zombies.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.