AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-02, 19:08   Link #1201
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
Really?

Different tastes I guess because IMO the soundtrack in Pacific Rim was kind of generic and forgettable.

Pacific Rim had a good opening in China but you all need to remember that they only get 25 % of the money. It needs 400 millions $ WW to break even, until then this movie is still a flop for Del Toro.
It seems like you need to remember that Pacific Rim only opened in half of the world's market and it already made over $220 million as well as being #1 at the international box office right before debuting in China.

Both Avatar and Transformers made about $170-200 million in China which was last year and 2009 when it was less than 25%. So if it follows that pattern or exceeds it that'll give it a boost and then you add in the rest of the markets like Japan and Brazil and this movie should do pretty good.

And in today's world which is becoming more international, China is pretty important to Hollywood. If it meant nothing Hollywood wouldn't even be paying attention to China to begin with.

Then you add in the other stuff that follows movies like anime (I can't see Japan not going for that), toys, etc.

Plus then you add in the fact that China Film Group has signed a deal with Universal and Legendary to produce movies together which would exempt those movies from the foreign cap and 25%.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 19:49   Link #1202
sweet-d
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Republicans got elected and wanted to built a wall to keep out the illegal aliens.
So your telling me the democrats had the right idea? Kill em and nuke the source.
sweet-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 19:54   Link #1203
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
The old way would have beem to take over their country and make them American.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 01:28   Link #1204
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
It has become painfully obvious that the American mainstream cinema goers have a shit taste. -_-;

This should not be tanking. THIS SHOULD NOT BE TANKING!
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 02:04   Link #1205
KiraYamatoFan
Wanna punch Moyes, grr!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It has become painfully obvious that the American mainstream cinema goers have a shit taste. -_-;

This should not be tanking. THIS SHOULD NOT BE TANKING!
I was wondering the same thing in my home province too. I just couldn't believe it when I saw that Pacific Rim dropped to number 9 after the last weekend.

I can understand for The Wolverine and Despicable Me 2 to take over a big part of the box office entries, but there are movies that should not be even close of making into the top 10 in front of Pacific Rim. Seriously, that's a load of BS.
__________________
Sack this Scottish piece of s*** in the morning already! #MoyesOut
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 05:06   Link #1206
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It has become painfully obvious that the American mainstream cinema goers have a shit taste. -_-;

This should not be tanking. THIS SHOULD NOT BE TANKING!
Don't treat american movie goers too harshly. The main reason this movie didn't do very well in the States was largely due to nonexistent (and pretty ineffective) marketing. I mean, consider that Pacific Rim in the USA got a higher box office than the Lone Ranger, a movie which had a major celebrity star at the helm, and a far more extensive marketing campaign.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 05:28   Link #1207
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The entire concept of "Giant Robots punching the snot out of colossal monsters" comes first. Any stupid reasoning is tacked on later, because it's like utterly unimportant.

At the point you question the validity of why use robots, it invalidates itself as that premise is unquestionable.
Indeed, suspension of disbelief is an essential element in sci-fi and fantasy, although for some reason giant robots seem to have to justify themselves more often.

I don't see anyone complain that Superman is unrealistic because he can fly, or that a piece of jewelry can threaten Middle Earth .
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 11:00   Link #1208
solidvanz
Special Operative
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Malaysia
Age: 29
Send a message via Yahoo to solidvanz
Del Toro addresses Japanese at red carpet premiere:
__________________
solidvanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 16:09   Link #1209
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
That's the point.jpg

The entire concept of "Giant Robots punching the snot out of colossal monsters" comes first. Any stupid reasoning is tacked on later, because it's like utterly unimportant.

At the point you question the validity of why use robots, it invalidates itself as that premise is unquestionable.
To quote... someone: "If your tech is so superior that you can get away with giant killer robots, the only reason to use them is for sheer intimidation. This means that what you should be building is giant killer robot clowns."

There's never a good, practical reason to use giant robots. Aside from their awesomeness. If giant punching works, so do kinetic missiles, if you just build your missiles big enough.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 17:44   Link #1210
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
Really?

Different tastes I guess because IMO the soundtrack in Pacific Rim was kind of generic and forgettable.

Pacific Rim had a good opening in China but you all need to remember that they only get 25 % of the money. It needs 400 millions $ WW to break even, until then this movie is still a flop for Del Toro.
Legendary has a foot inside the Chinese market unlike most. So they'll probably be exempt from the 25% tax.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/le...co-1200489836/
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 17:49   Link #1211
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 33
Pacific Rim is supposed to get released on theaters in Japan next Friday, correct?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 19:04   Link #1212
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Legendary has a foot inside the Chinese market unlike most. So they'll probably be exempt from the 25% tax.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/le...co-1200489836/
Not when Legendary East is not involved. Technically they're different companies/entities, so there's no getting around that fact.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 22:32   Link #1213
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Images
Jaegers identified
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2013-08-04 at 03:20.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 16:25   Link #1214
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies




Translation:

Leatherback: Don't struggle, it'll be over soon!

Otachi: *roar*YOU SHALL NOT PASS!*roar*

Striker: Let go of the flat chest!
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 18:29   Link #1215
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 20:25   Link #1216
MeisterBabylon
~ Fists of Fury ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
Too bad my work place filters images, I'd love to see what "Let go of the flat chest" applies to. XD
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 21:04   Link #1217
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Too bad my work place filters images, I'd love to see what "Let go of the flat chest" applies to. XD
Cherno Alpha is depicted as a loli... Which doesn't make sense because she's the oldest ^^
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 21:21   Link #1218
MeisterBabylon
~ Fists of Fury ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Cherno Alpha is depicted as a loli... Which doesn't make sense because she's the oldest ^^
Suwako is a pettanko. And I know pettankos that are centuries old.
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 21:27   Link #1219
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Cherno Alpha is depicted as a loli... Which doesn't make sense because she's the oldest ^^
I think the word you are looking for is "pettanko".
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 21:37   Link #1220
JokerD
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Cherno Alpha is depicted as a loli... Which doesn't make sense because she's the oldest ^^
Age has nothing to do with chest size...

Although shouldn't Crimson Typhoon be the flat chest one? (asians are usually flatter than westerners)
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.