AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-05, 17:40   Link #1241
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
and i thought it was just pure incompetence of the marketing staff not being familiar with the genre.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 18:24   Link #1242
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It's not that complicated. Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures are going to be cutting ties with each other sometime in the future, and Pacific Rim is one of the last films they're collaborating on. In addition, Warner Brothers only put up 25% of the money to make Pacific Rim.

Many people suspect that WB was purposely dragging their feet on marketing, since it might not be in their interest to let Legendary Studios go off with a smashing hit new IP.
If that's true, it would be a stupid, not to mention petty, thing to do 'cos in the end they're hurting their own pockets. They probably figured they should cut their loses instead of spending what amounts to half of the production budget on advertising. This goes to show how little faith WB had in Pacific Rim in the first place. This is the kind of rotten corporate culture where numbers is the only known language and the substance of the work they're representing is about as meaningful as a eunich visting a brothel...
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 18:56   Link #1243
MarineCorps
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Speaking of the characters... What was that half-hearted attempt at drama? We've got a guy who saw his brother get eaten, when they still had a telepathic connection... But when he comes back, he's not bitter at all, he still loves his machine, he's all ready to go. With the first person he met. (That easy to find drift compatible people?)

Knowing all that... why did he leave at all? Why didn't he stay on as a pilot with somebody else?
The novel does a much better job at exploring this. The novel actually does a lot better at explaining a bunch of stuff
MarineCorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 19:01   Link #1244
El Guapo
Dave's not here, man
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Canyons of your Mind
I pretty much hated this movie. Didn't go in expecting much, and I can't say I got less than what I expected, but this movie didn't even slightly entertain me. Del Toro is usually more creative than this; in this case all I saw of his influence was in the monster design. Like I said, I didn't expect much more than a couple of hours of watching monsters and robots kick the crap out of each other with a little dialogue thrown in for kicks, but this wasn't even entertaining in that way. The script was predictable in all the right places to the point where the action wasn't even exciting because you knew exactly how the whole thing was going to end. Towards the end of the movie, during the final big fight sequence (not a spoiler; even if you haven't seen it, you already know a movie like this is going to have a final big fight sequence) I had to go to the bathroom. Usually I try to hold it until the end, but in this case I didn't even bother, because I saw no point. Sure enough, when I got back, I found that all I had missed was about four extra minutes of robots and monsters slugging it out with each other.

Even the part at the end
Spoiler for short scene at end of movie:


To be fair, I'm probably the wrong person to be writing about this movie, because I'm not even really into this genre in the first place, nor did I even want to see the movie. Some friends of mine who are really into mecha anime and old monster movies wanted to see it and I didn't want to be the wet blanket, so I went along. I've never really been all that into mecha type stories or stories that involve giant monsters destroying Tokyo unless they've got something else going for them. Big O and Rahxephon are the only two I can think of off the top of my head that I've ever actually liked, and even in those cases I found the giant robot aspect to be the least interesting thing about them. But in any event, this was just a bad movie with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, except perhaps that it was slightly better than the last Transformers movie. And even then, it's only because it had enough sense to use Independence Day for its script template, instead of the previous two Transformers movies. Seriously, if it's this easy, then why the hell aren't I making millions of dollars as a Hollywood screen writer? Not only do you not need to have an original good idea, the idea that you rip off doesn't even have to be good.

Anyway, tl;dr. Hated Pacific Rim. With extreme prejudice.
__________________
<plug>Original music, games, and more, some of which might actually pass for quality entertainment in some circles:

http://www.therealmuffin.net

http://music.therealmuffin.net</plug>
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 19:23   Link #1245
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Hmmm...What kind of childhood does one have to not like Giant Robots and Monsters ?
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 19:29   Link #1246
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
There was a span of years where Giant Robots and Monsters were uncool. I just don't remember when that wasn't before the 1950s.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 21:52   Link #1247
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
So yeah, went ahead and checked it out for a second time. Still a completely awesome movie. Gave the 3D a shot this time since I couldn't actually find a theater still showing it in 2D.

I will just say I'm glad this movie got made no matter how the sales figures work out. Action was a whole lot of fun even knowing how it was going to play out.

Really the only thing I'd have really wanted to see was even more different mech designs.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 22:29   Link #1248
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
I pretty much hated this movie. Didn't go in expecting much, and I can't say I got less than what I expected, but this movie didn't even slightly entertain me. Del Toro is usually more creative than this; in this case all I saw of his influence was in the monster design. Like I said, I didn't expect much more than a couple of hours of watching monsters and robots kick the crap out of each other with a little dialogue thrown in for kicks, but this wasn't even entertaining in that way. The script was predictable in all the right places to the point where the action wasn't even exciting because you knew exactly how the whole thing was going to end. Towards the end of the movie, during the final big fight sequence (not a spoiler; even if you haven't seen it, you already know a movie like this is going to have a final big fight sequence) I had to go to the bathroom. Usually I try to hold it until the end, but in this case I didn't even bother, because I saw no point. Sure enough, when I got back, I found that all I had missed was about four extra minutes of robots and monsters slugging it out with each other.

Even the part at the end
Spoiler for short scene at end of movie:


To be fair, I'm probably the wrong person to be writing about this movie, because I'm not even really into this genre in the first place, nor did I even want to see the movie. Some friends of mine who are really into mecha anime and old monster movies wanted to see it and I didn't want to be the wet blanket, so I went along. I've never really been all that into mecha type stories or stories that involve giant monsters destroying Tokyo unless they've got something else going for them. Big O and Rahxephon are the only two I can think of off the top of my head that I've ever actually liked, and even in those cases I found the giant robot aspect to be the least interesting thing about them. But in any event, this was just a bad movie with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, except perhaps that it was slightly better than the last Transformers movie. And even then, it's only because it had enough sense to use Independence Day for its script template, instead of the previous two Transformers movies. Seriously, if it's this easy, then why the hell aren't I making millions of dollars as a Hollywood screen writer? Not only do you not need to have an original good idea, the idea that you rip off doesn't even have to be good.

Anyway, tl;dr. Hated Pacific Rim. With extreme prejudice.
And there are people who hate Lord of The rings with extreme prejudice so what's your point? I enjoyed it lord of the rings but I know some people who thought it was completely boring with horrible acting and a predictable script (Oh the good guys win in the end)

You could've just summed it up with, "Not my kind of movie." Nothing would've changed your attitude about it.

The only reason why Transformers did so well was because Bay was smart and focused mainly with humans and a hot chick with the Transformers on screen for like maybe 10% of the time. So people like you (the whole not into mech part) at all would've just spent the movie gawking at the hot chick for most of the time and laughing at the crude and stupid humor.

And yes it is very easy to make money apparently. Grown Up's two is the perfect example of it. A cheap movie that raked in 100 million dollars and all it had was low-ball actors, crude piss jokes, and beautiful woman. That's all you need really.

Quote:
The novel does a much better job at exploring this. The novel actually does a lot better at explaining a bunch of stuff
Given how long the movie is they had no room for it. It was pretty for them to keep the plot straightforward and not bring too many complexities into it.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 22:58   Link #1249
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
And yes it is very easy to make money apparently. Grown Up's two is the perfect example of it. A cheap movie that raked in 100 million dollars and all it had was low-ball actors, crude piss jokes, and beautiful woman. That's all you need really.
Explains Infinite Stratos' ridiculous 'success' at sales...
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 23:00   Link #1250
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Explains Infinite Stratos' ridiculous 'success' at sales...
I've always said that series depends heavily on its character design and little else >_>

You mecha fans were just suckered in
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 23:10   Link #1251
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I've always said that series depends heavily on its character design and little else >_>

You mecha fans were just suckered in
*Stares at Charlotte*

I'm sorry what?

Actually even I have a line that I won't cross and that show pushed me a few times.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 23:14   Link #1252
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 33
The writer of the Infinite Stratos novels should write an IS-Pacific Rim spinoff.

An alternate timeline or universe where and when the IS were developed in response and for the purpose to combat the Kaijuu threat.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 00:22   Link #1253
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
The writer of the Infinite Stratos novels should write an IS-Pacific Rim spinoff.

An alternate timeline or universe where and when the IS were developed in response and for the purpose to combat the Kaijuu threat.
He wouldn't; because 1) he's infamously lazy, and 2) he doesn't even like the mecha part, he would rather write romcom.

I would rather Kamachi or Kawakami, both having written giant robots before.... Though the former doesn't like humanoid robots and the latter might be a bit too magitech
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 00:23   Link #1254
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
The writer of the Infinite Stratos novels should write an IS-Pacific Rim spinoff.

An alternate timeline or universe where and when the IS were developed in response and for the purpose to combat the Kaijuu threat.

Oh God no.... just no.

Spoiler for semi-spoilery for IS novels:
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 00:28   Link #1255
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
The movie's quite fun and exceeds my previous, admittedly rather pessimistic expectation, but the main protagonist should've died.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 00:37   Link #1256
solidvanz
Special Operative
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Malaysia
Age: 29
Send a message via Yahoo to solidvanz
In China, Elbow Rocket becoming Pegasus Meteor Fist: http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2013-08...t_29635833.htm
__________________
solidvanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 01:02   Link #1257
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidvanz View Post
In China, Elbow Rocket becoming Pegasus Meteor Fist: http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2013-08...t_29635833.htm
Breaking News: the Bronze Saint Pegasus just file a trademark infringement lawsuit.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 01:41   Link #1258
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
*wall of text snip*
Sorry bro, putting you on ignore not because of the wall of text I don't agree with, but because your avatar gives me nightmares and don't want to see it unexpectedly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Breaking News: the Bronze Saint Pegasus just file a trademark infringement lawsuit.
In CHINA? That's about as effective as spraying the desert with garden hose.
Good luck there, Seiya.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 02:05   Link #1259
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Sorry bro, putting you on ignore not because of the wall of text I don't agree with, but because your avatar gives me nightmares and don't want to see it unexpectedly.
.
Too late
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 03:27   Link #1260
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmmm...What kind of childhood does one have to not like Giant Robots and Monsters ?


'Nuff said.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.