AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-09-01, 13:52   Link #1541
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidvanz View Post
Blu-ray 3D Cover And Collector's Edition Revealed

Spoiler for Heroic Jaeger:
Lovin the cover.
Old 2013-09-01, 14:02   Link #1542
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Not. Sense of perspective and body proportions are weird (the thighs and legs, mostly) on that one - and I'm not just talking about Mako's height relative to Gipsy Danger's.[/nagging]

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 14:25   Link #1543
Guido

Box Office Mojo again updated it's information on Pacific Rim's revenue.

The film closed its seventh week screening in USA, reaching and finally surpassing the $100 millions mark.

Domestic Total Revenue: $ 100,117,000

International markets with the highest revenue*:
  1. China: 109,900,000
  2. Russia: 20,628,123
  3. South Korea: 18,186,611
  4. Mexico: 16,087,739
  5. United Kingdom: 12,759,372
  6. Japan: 11,979,108

(*) Those numbers have yet to be updated.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 15:36   Link #1544
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
You know for a movie that had almost zero marketing, relied on word of mouth, had NO big name actors/actresses, took place on an international setting, is completely original, that's pretty good.

$100 million domestic plus China's share and a few others means that the movie already made back it's production budget and the rest of the foreign should have it break even.

Then you add in the Home media sales I'd say the movie had a good run given what it had to work with.

Plus this would be Del Toro's first movie that hit the $100 million mark right? Aside from being number 1 in China (which Hollywood wants so badly to get into) and international markets he has quite a few things to be proud of and it lends him credibility.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 04:33   Link #1545
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

I find it hilarious that in the end, it wasn't as Japanese as the Japanese would love it to be XD

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 06:20   Link #1546
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Not. Sense of perspective and body proportions are weird (the thighs and legs, mostly) on that one - and I'm not just talking about Mako's height relative to Gipsy Danger's.[/nagging]
cannot unsee...ugh
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 06:29   Link #1547
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You know for a movie that had almost zero marketing, relied on word of mouth, had NO big name actors/actresses, took place on an international setting, is completely original, that's pretty good.
The suits probably won't look at it that way, sadly.
Old 2013-09-02, 09:57   Link #1548
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I'm unclear where you've gotten the idea that there was almost zero advertising for the film. There was certainly less advertising than I think there should have been (for example, there were no McDonald's toy tie-ins are anything along those lines), but there has still been a concerted effort for almost a year to advertise the film.

I will generally agree with your other points (I somewhat disagree that the film has strong word-of-mouth), especially your last three.

Pacific Rim has done about as well as could be expected. In fact, it's probably done better than many involved thought it would.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 10:06   Link #1549
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I'm unclear where you've gotten the idea that there was almost zero advertising for the film. There was certainly less advertising than I think there should have been (for example, there were no McDonald's toy tie-ins are anything along those lines), but there has still been a concerted effort for almost a year to advertise the film.

I will generally agree with your other points (I somewhat disagree that the film has strong word-of-mouth), especially your last three.

Pacific Rim has done about as well as could be expected. In fact, it's probably done better than many involved thought it would.
It was a pretty botched ad campaign though. While there certainly was promotion for the film, I'm not sure how widely spread it was. There weren't a whole lot of theatrical trailers until right before the movie came out, and there were basically no promotional cardboard stands even on its premiere day.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 10:16   Link #1550
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It was a pretty botched ad campaign though. While there certainly was promotion for the film, I'm not sure how widely spread it was. There weren't a whole lot of theatrical trailers until right before the movie came out, and there were basically no promotional cardboard stands even on its premiere day.
Maybe not in second or third tier markets (which is what generally happens any way), but I encountered loads of ads in Chicago. I thoroughly agree the campaign was not up to snuff, and the market research people failed more than they succeeded (it's always a bad sign when the viral marketing is far better than the regular marketing). But, an ad campaign failing is not the same as "almost zero" ads.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 10:42   Link #1551
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

I'm from Canada and I saw NOTHING at all. Like some others I didn't even know about the movie until I saw this forum and I know I'm not the only one.

In comparison to man of steel, iron man, lone ranger there was practically nothing.

Even when it was out there were no imax posters in the threatres
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 11:34   Link #1552
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

In Japan, one would need to see what movies are ahead of it in the theaters. What it the audiance most into right now?
Old 2013-09-02, 11:38   Link #1553
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I honestly didn't know what Pacific Rim was about till maybe...two months before it was going to be released...I maybe watch tv once a week, rarely saw ads. If they spent 50 million dollars on advertising...someones walking around with 49 million dollars in their pocket. How much would it have cost them to get a simple ad on YouTube's home page?
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 12:09   Link #1554
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I find it hilarious that in the end, it wasn't as Japanese as the Japanese would love it to be XD
Judging from the fanarts, I think they do - there's tons of fanart out there for it (one thread in SB has lots from Pixiv). But as with the other states, the marketing for Japan seems to be almost nonexistent, as I've read about there being little exposure for the film there asides from the TV specials and the endorsement by the big names in anime and games.

On the other hand, we know that Pacific Rim has what it takes to take off if given the proper exposure, like in China. Incidentally, WB wasn't the one taking care of marketing there.

Coincidence? I think not.

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 19:53   Link #1555
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Fair enough...

...at the same time, I have a confession: the pilot suits aren't sexy enough.

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 02:58   Link #1556
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!

Didnt Pacific Rim only open in few hundred theaters in Japan too?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 14:19   Link #1557
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Didnt Pacific Rim only open in few hundred theaters in Japan too?
You probably already got an answer, but I can tell you the following:

One week ago Japan's total revenue overtook United Kingdom's.

According to Box Office Mojo's updated information for this weekend, Pacific Rim closed it's eighth week screening in USA cinemas:

Total Domestic Revenue - $ 100,514,594.

International markets with highest revenues:
  1. China: $ 111,940,000
  2. Russia: $ 20,628,123
  3. South Korea: $ 18,186,611
  4. Mexico: $ 16,115,369
  5. Japan: $ 13,668,917
  6. United Kingdom: $ 12,785,909
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 14:34   Link #1558
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 14:40   Link #1559
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
The world's largest volcano has until now been lurking undiscovered in the depths of the Pacific Ocean, according to a team of scientists who identified the massive object and reported their findings in the latest issue of
The newly revealed Tamu Massif volcano — located about 1,000 miles east of Japan and 4 miles below the ocean's surface — is about the size of New Mexico. It not only outclasses previous record holder by about 60 times, but it's in the same league as on the planet Mars, the largest known volcano in the solar system.
It's "a gee-whiz moment, where we say, 'There are volcanoes here as big as any we've seen elsewhere in the solar system,' so it's sort of like discovering a new whale or something like that," William Sager, a professor in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Houston who began researching Tamu Massif two decades ago,
"If what they are saying is correct, that is truly a massive volcano," Brian Jicha, a geologist at the University of Wisconsin, says in an .
reports that the mega-volcano has been inactive for millions of years, but "its very existence will help geophysicists to set limits on how much magma can be stored in Earth's crust and pour out onto the surface."
The 120,000-square-mile took a few million years to take shape when it formed about 145 million years ago at the transition between the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods, according to Sager.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...lcano-on-earth

if a Kaiju appears form the pacific, we now know where it came form.
Old 2013-09-11, 07:07   Link #1560
Masuzu
サイアク、トキメキ、ヘンシン、コクハク
*Author

The Kaiju Overlords came once before during the time of the dinosaurs, right?

This volcano was formed during that time as well...

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster