AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-11, 08:33   Link #261
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Holy ****, that looks amazing (^,^)! Makes you think about how fierce Ty Lee could have really been if she took her skills to the next level =03.
Too bad she was restricted by being adorable.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 09:00   Link #262
TimeMask
Phantom Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Holy ****, that looks amazing (^,^)! Makes you think about how fierce Ty Lee could have really been if she took her skills to the next level =03. Now I'm kinda mad at myself for letting myself be spoiled.
Ty Lee took out Katara and multiple earth benders with chi blocking so she may be nearly as good as those guys who were fighting Korra and Mako.

It was a cool fight but I wonder why Amon's men don't use any melee weapons after doing chi blocks a few times.
TimeMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 11:18   Link #263
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Am I the only one who loves Tenzin's kids!

Tenzin: "Promise me your teenage years will never be like this!"

Jinora: "...I will make no such promise..."
__________________

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-04-14 at 12:43.
Dark Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 12:20   Link #264
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Am I the only one who loves Tenzin's kids!

"Promise me your teenage years will never be like this!"

"...I will make no such promise..."
Nope, if I ever have a daughter I want her to be like Jinora (although I think I had a cousin or two who were like Meelo at that age...).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 12:55   Link #265
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
This needs to be moved to Current Series, doesn't it? At least, no longer remain in Upcoming...
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 13:11   Link #266
Sage Shinigami
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask View Post
Ty Lee took out Katara and multiple earth benders with chi blocking so she may be nearly as good as those guys who were fighting Korra and Mako.
So...she took out more people...and in far less time...but she might be "nearly as good"? Methinks the ninja outfits are clouding people's judgments.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 15:15   Link #267
DangerMouse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Am I the only one who loves Tenzin's kids!

Tenzin: "Promise me your teenage years will never be like this!"

Jinora: "...I will make no such promise..."
Hehe. That was a great exchange. Tenzin and his kids are great lol.

Already loving Korra's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Team Mako, we in there!

First 2 episodes were good, saw a lot of pimpin for Korra in the Anime thread on Neogaf, so gave it a shot and really enjoyed it, better than a lot of anime I've watched over the last couple of years... I never checked out the first series of Avatar, I intend to rectify that....
Yeah it was a great premiere for Korra. Huge fan of the original series and the jump to the new one felt totally natural, it was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask View Post
It was a cool fight but I wonder why Amon's men don't use any melee weapons after doing chi blocks a few times.
Yeah, good question.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-04-14 at 15:27.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 16:50   Link #268
TimeMask
Phantom Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Shinigami View Post
So...she took out more people...and in far less time...but she might be "nearly as good"? Methinks the ninja outfits are clouding people's judgments.
Ty Lee took out some earth bending fodder while 1 of Amon's men beat Avatar Korra so its hard to say how good
Ty Lee is compared to Amon's men, she may have been stronger or weaker but she could have gotten stronger as she got older.

@DangerMouse maybe Amons' men didn't use a blunt or sharp weapon since they would have knocked out or killed Korra and Mako or they just prefer to use chi blocking?
TimeMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 18:08   Link #269
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Avatar Korra is not really that strong you know... yeh she does know more elements than others but it does not make her strong. I'm sure Ty Lee would've taken Korra out as well at this stage.

Ty Lee was Azula's subordinate not for the lulz. All 3 of them were strong in their separate areas. Azula would not keep a weakling by her side nor would she seek her out when hunting the Avatar if Ty Lee was weak.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 18:21   Link #270
TimeMask
Phantom Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Avatar Korra is not really that strong you know... yeh she does know more elements than others but it does not make her strong. I'm sure Ty Lee would've taken Korra out as well at this stage.

Ty Lee was Azula's subordinate not for the lulz. All 3 of them were strong in their separate areas. Azula would not keep a weakling by her side nor would she seek her out when hunting the Avatar if Ty Lee was weak.
Korra knowing 3 elements and learning to move like a airbender does make Korra fairly strong now and she's at least better then a few earth bending fodders.

I agree Ty Lee is strong but I was comparing Ty lee's strength to Amon's men since they both know chi blocking but its hard to compare them from just watching a trailer with Amon's men in.
TimeMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 19:06   Link #271
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
It does but she has no real battle experience while Ty Lee does. And those masked dudes probably do too.

Sport game is one thing but real fight is another, there are no rules. Besides Korra never really faced anyone strong.

Ty Lee also took out Katara who was already an experienced, high class water bender and she did it quiet easily and twice. Those might have been sneaky attacks but being sneaky is also skill.

And truthfully, from that short video ninja dudes don't look that impressive. Their movements are not as fluid as hers, they are exactly the same as Korra's. The only real reason they got her is probably because Korra had never faced anyone with chi blocking abilities before.

With her bendinnes, speed and acrobatic abilities I can see Ty Lee taking out both of those ninja dudes. As well as Korra and her friend alone at this stage. Maybe not all 4 at once, but 2 on 1 definitively.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 19:19   Link #272
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
ty lee probably more powerfull than generic anti bender torpper.

but pretty sure anti bender chi block technique is more advance and refined compare to ty lee back then
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 20:03   Link #273
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
^Then we just need to wait and see what exactly this chi blockers have to offer.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 20:07   Link #274
Rennir
Requiem of Dreams
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beneath the prodigious sky...
Whether or not Korra is overpowered/would be beaten by characters of the first season, I think the more important weakness, and the one that the show will focus on, is Korra's psychological weaknesses. In my opinion, from the first episode, the show portrays her as pretty strong, defeating those firebenders, evading the metalbenders, and holding her own against pro benders. Also, she was able to learn the other three elements when she was just a little kid, compared to Aang who took a while. True, she doesn't have real combat experience, which is why I'm guessing she's losing to Amon's men in that preview, but combat experience will come.

On the other hand, Tenzin has a really good point about how being the Avatar is not just about fighting. And despite what happened at the end of the second episode, I don't think Korra learned her lesson. Korra managed to learn the lesson Tenzin was trying to teach by fighting, the only role she thinks the Avatar has. In her mind, she was ultimately right about what her duties are, and Tenzin is just a decrepit old man who is out of touch with the modern world.

She's obstinate, rash, quick to anger, lacks good judgement--basically all the traits of a teenage girl, which is normal. It'll be harder to develop that spiritual side, because unlike Aang, she wasn't raised in a disciplined setting. Yes, she did manage to learn what Tenzin was trying to teach, but I personally found this to be a cop-out, and doesn't resolve the underlying issue of why she struggles with airbending so much in the first place. Ultimately, I think some time in the show, she's going to have to deal with this major weakness, but before that, we'll probably get to see Korra kick a lot of ass
__________________
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:24   Link #275
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Oh wow, I forgot it aired today. Thankfully, nick.com is streaming the first two episodes. I hope they stream all the episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Yes, she did manage to learn what Tenzin was trying to teach, but I personally found this to be a cop-out, and doesn't resolve the underlying issue of why she struggles with airbending so much in the first place.
After watching this episode, I would have to agree. I don't really see how she would "instinctively" moved like an airbender when just a few moments before that, she had already given up on being an airbender, even going so far as to claim that airbending is not a necessary skill to learn.

I guess the they needed to have Korra get over her unwillingness to learn airbending quickly. I just wish they would've found a different, possibly better, way of doing it.
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:44   Link #276
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
After watching this episode, I would have to agree. I don't really see how she would "instinctively" moved like an airbender when just a few moments before that, she had already given up on being an airbender, even going so far as to claim that airbending is not a necessary skill to learn.
Well she "instinctively" knew how to water, fire, and earthbend from when she was young and I bet that if she was really in a position when her life depended on airbending that she's be able to do it. I think it was the combination of limiting her to one element plus cornering her that brought out the circle-stepping though (plus the moves Bolin was showing her also emphasized being light on her feet, that might've helped as well). In a weird way it was the discipline Tenzin said she needed but the pro-bending match also provided the freedom Korra felt she needed to learn.

My theory right now is that the first season is going to focus on Amon and the equalists and the second season is going to focus more on the spiritual side of bending. There was an interview (don't ask me which one, I've read too many in the past week @_@) where Bryke hinted that the spirit world doesn't like the new technological advances anymore than some of the fans have, I can totally see Korra having to first help people accept bending again and then helping the spiritual world accept technology, there's a kind of symmetry to it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 22:16   Link #277
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Well she "instinctively" knew how to water, fire, and earthbend from when she was young and I bet that if she was really in a position when her life depended on airbending that she's be able to do it. I think it was the combination of limiting her to one element plus cornering her that brought out the circle-stepping though (plus the moves Bolin was showing her also emphasized being light on her feet, that might've helped as well). In a weird way it was the discipline Tenzin said she needed but the pro-bending match also provided the freedom Korra felt she needed to learn.
Hmm, good point. I guess my main complaint is the sudden turnaround between declaring airbending as being useless to moving like an airbender. But you've convinced me that it at least is conceivable as far as her abilities and experience are concerned. And like I said, I can see possible reason for doing it this quickly, but I still wish they could've done it differently.
Quote:
My theory right now is that the first season is going to focus on Amon and the equalists and the second season is going to focus more on the spiritual side of bending. There was an interview (don't ask me which one, I've read too many in the past week @_@) where Bryke hinted that the spirit world doesn't like the new technological advances anymore than some of the fans have, I can totally see Korra having to first help people accept bending again and then helping the spiritual world accept technology, there's a kind of symmetry to it.
That seems interesting if true, but either way, I'm going to be along for the ride, if I can just remember to tune in on time.
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 23:00   Link #278
TimeMask
Phantom Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
It does but she has no real battle experience while Ty Lee does. And those masked dudes probably do too.

Sport game is one thing but real fight is another, there are no rules. Besides Korra never really faced anyone strong.

Ty Lee also took out Katara who was already an experienced, high class water bender and she did it quiet easily and twice. Those might have been sneaky attacks but being sneaky is also skill.

And truthfully, from that short video ninja dudes don't look that impressive. Their movements are not as fluid as hers, they are exactly the same as Korra's. The only real reason they got her is probably because Korra had never faced anyone with chi blocking abilities before.

With her bendinnes, speed and acrobatic abilities I can see Ty Lee taking out both of those ninja dudes. As well as Korra and her friend alone at this stage. Maybe not all 4 at once, but 2 on 1 definitively.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHn1uc7h0pw (Here's a link to the video of Korra and Mako vs Chi Blockers!)


Amon's men looked like they could chi block far faster then Ty Lee (at 27 seconds in the vid), I watched another vid with Ty Lee chi blocking the earth benders and she looked slow compared to Amon's men with her hits.

1 of Amon's men may be able to beat Ty Lee, I wouldn't be sure about her beating 2 of them at once and their movements look fluid to me.

Korra is older then Aang and has been training all her life so she may be able to beat Ty Lee. Training may not be as good as battle but Korra currently has some good combat skills which she improved in Republic city but she can still improve a lot.
TimeMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 23:44   Link #279
Rennir
Requiem of Dreams
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beneath the prodigious sky...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Well she "instinctively" knew how to water, fire, and earthbend from when she was young and I bet that if she was really in a position when her life depended on airbending that she's be able to do it. I think it was the combination of limiting her to one element plus cornering her that brought out the circle-stepping though (plus the moves Bolin was showing her also emphasized being light on her feet, that might've helped as well). In a weird way it was the discipline Tenzin said she needed but the pro-bending match also provided the freedom Korra felt she needed to learn.

My theory right now is that the first season is going to focus on Amon and the equalists and the second season is going to focus more on the spiritual side of bending. There was an interview (don't ask me which one, I've read too many in the past week @_@) where Bryke hinted that the spirit world doesn't like the new technological advances anymore than some of the fans have, I can totally see Korra having to first help people accept bending again and then helping the spiritual world accept technology, there's a kind of symmetry to it.
I always associated her trouble with learning the air element with her lack of spirituality. I don't know if I was making a connection that didn't exist, but why wouldn't Korra have instinctively learned airbending much earlier, at the same time she learned the other three elements? It's plausible, but Korra managed to get what she wanted without learning her lesson first. In the end, she did promise to work hard with Tenzin, but I attribute that to the aftereffects of winning the match rather than being sincere.

Oh and there's two seasons? Oops, my bad
__________________
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 09:57   Link #280
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHn1uc7h0pw (Here's a link to the video of Korra and Mako vs Chi Blockers!)


Amon's men looked like they could chi block far faster then Ty Lee (at 27 seconds in the vid), I watched another vid with Ty Lee chi blocking the earth benders and she looked slow compared to Amon's men with her hits.

1 of Amon's men may be able to beat Ty Lee, I wouldn't be sure about her beating 2 of them at once and their movements look fluid to me.

Korra is older then Aang and has been training all her life so she may be able to beat Ty Lee. Training may not be as good as battle but Korra currently has some good combat skills which she improved in Republic city but she can still improve a lot.
I saw that clip many times and no, they don't look fast. The hands movements before blocking might be fast but not the actual battle. Their kicks are on pair with Korra's and they don't look very flexible.

Well for one, several years passed since then, animation had improved. Besides her movements are pretty fast in close up when she hits earth benders and we only saw few shots while she took out a dozen of them. She also is more into acrobatics and prefers to play around before striking. She could have taken out the first dude instantly but instead played around by avoiding before striking.

In episode 16 her hands move fast when she knocks out the warriors.

In episode 19 Ty Lee took Katara out before she was able to do anything and there was enough of time.

Besides Ty Lee's main advantage is not speed but her flexibility and acrobatic abilities. And believe me, those play a huge role.

Physical strength doesn't mean that Korra can keep up with Ty Lee's fluid movements. Korra will be stronger than Ty Lee eventually, no doubt there but right now I really doubt it.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.