AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-06-03, 02:54   Link #641
Aesthetic Shampoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 21
It's obvious Lin is going to save Korra. I am expecting another awesome fight like the one in this episode
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 04:12   Link #642
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
It's obvious Lin is going to save Korra. I am expecting another awesome fight like the one in this episode
Now that is an idea that I like. Seriously, so far I found all the younger characters boring, but Lin and Tenzin pretty fascinating.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 05:09   Link #643
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
I'd have to disagree that Torlak is Aman. Actually based on the fight and how he looked when Korra compared them both, I'd say that Torlak shares a very strong past with Amon. So much so that he's running what amounts to a personal vendetta against him that would require the intervention Aang and his crew.

I would in fact speculate that in Torlak's youth, something happened that was precisely the whole reason for Amon's choice for revolution, Torlak's vendetta and subsequent bloodbending sans full moon, and beg enough to require the previous Avatar's intervention.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 06:35   Link #644
rakusukira
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
You know what... all these flashbacks of Korra are really hinting at me that Aang did not meet a very... peaceful demise, and quite possibly died in a manner people do not really know about.

I surmise that her flashbacks and the link between the current generation of antagonists and Aang's final opponents might take center stage at some point.
My thoughts exactly... i think the REAL reason why Aang died is related to this Yakone guy..

Yakone and Tarrlok are definitely related either by blood or by bond.. he defintely is a very powerful waterbender cause he can blood bend without the help of the full moon's power
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 07:01   Link #645
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
Actually I have one unifying theory regarding this book and the events unfolding. Consider the following:

1. Aang and company were somehow involved not only with Torlak but likely with Amon as well.
2. Torlak's ability to bloodbend without the full moon, and Amon's ability to remove bending despite not being a bender, are considered aberrant abilities in the flow of Chi and bending.
3. Torlak and Amon share an intense past that caused Torlak to wage a personal war against him and caused Amon to have revolutionary goals.

Given the above my theory is this: The common event in question was some sort of disruption in the flow of world that granted aberrant abilities to Amon and Torlak that was so severe that Aang needed to come in and correct it, but likely failed. The end result of this conflict changed Amon and Torlak into who they are now.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 08:31   Link #646
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Does this also explain how even regular firebenders are able to generate lightning?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 08:52   Link #647
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
Probably, though lightning is a higher form of firebending so it's just possible that the technique of study has evolved far enough that more firebenders can generate lightning. On the other hand bloodbending and bending removal is supposed to be very special cases.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 08:56   Link #648
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
My thoughts exactly... i think the REAL reason why Aang died is related to this Yakone guy..
Then Korra would be 42, instead of 17.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 09:13   Link #649
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
^This, the timing doesn't match and Aang was in his 60s when he died and he doesn't look quite that old in the flashback.

And agreeing that it is unlikely that Tarlock is Amon and that instead it was the possibility that he's just like what he's fighting that set him off (and it also occurred to me that Tarlock didn't seem to have Amon's almost airbender like dodging skills).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 10:43   Link #650
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
How would you even counter bloodbending when it messes with your own movements?
I really don't have a reason other than plot armor. Energy-bending itself was thrown in there right at the last second to give Aang the edge over Ozai (and now it's become so important! ). I have a hard time believing an Avatar could be outright helpless like that, especially as an adult and a seasoned veteran of combat. I also do not recall any prior Avatar being the slightest bit challenged by their opponents other than a young and inexperienced Aang. Roku seemed quite capable of destroying Souzin, and then we have flashbacks of Kyoshi and the like demonstrating their essentially untouchable power level.

Regardless, there's no denying he looked like he was being blood-bended. I just hope there's a good reason how this guy is so powerful in the first place.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 10:53   Link #651
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I really don't have a reason other than plot armor. Energy-bending itself was thrown in there right at the last second to give Aang the edge over Ozai (and now it's become so important! ). I have a hard time believing an Avatar could be outright helpless like that, especially as an adult and a seasoned veteran of combat. I also do not recall any prior Avatar being the slightest bit challenged by their opponents other than a young and inexperienced Aang. Roku seemed quite capable of destroying Souzin, and then we have flashbacks of Kyoshi and the like demonstrating their essentially untouchable power level.

Regardless, there's no denying he looked like he was being blood-bended. I just hope there's a good reason how this guy is so powerful in the first place.
It's explained that the only way to counter bloodbending is through being a superior waterbender. Which is why Katara was able to defeat Hama; she was a far better waterbender than the latter by that point in the series. And I guess which is why you see Aang resisting Yakonne in the flashback more effectively than anyone else in the courtroom; he was shown to be quite proficient in waterbending even before the Gaang made their way to the Northern Water Tribe in Book 1. I think the reason why he was like that was because he was caught off guard.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 11:11   Link #652
ditn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
things are getting interesting now
i wonder how the cards are going toe be played now
__________________
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 12:20   Link #653
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
More parallels between LOK and real life China, let's just hope Republic City doesn't end up the way China has been for the past half century.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 12:47   Link #654
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
At least it's a good way to get her out of Republic City. She's too distracted to meditate, become a better airbender and get in touch with Aang. Hope she's in a place where she has to develop airbending and strengthen waterbending to get out.

Edit: Bet she's put in a steel cage. She can't metal bend.
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2012-06-03 at 16:11.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 15:42   Link #655
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I have a hard time believing an Avatar could be outright helpless like that, especially as an adult and a seasoned veteran of combat.
Well, as Who mentioned, Aang could've been caught off guard, especially if it didn't happen on a full moon.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 22:45   Link #656
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
You'd have to be a frickin' powerful waterbender to bloodbend outside of a full moon, and against the Avatar, the mother of metal bending and a master swordsman all at the same time. Which again makes me suspect that his bloodbending ability is an abnormality, a deviation from the normal process of bending.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 05:26   Link #657
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
You'd have to be a frickin' powerful waterbender to bloodbend outside of a full moon, and against the Avatar, the mother of metal bending and a master swordsman all at the same time. Which again makes me suspect that his bloodbending ability is an abnormality, a deviation from the normal process of bending.
What episode did all this happen in? I missed a few and I recently saw this last saturday one w/ the surprise blood bending!
__________________
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 08:53   Link #658
rakusukira
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Actually I have one unifying theory regarding this book and the events unfolding. Consider the following:

1. Aang and company were somehow involved not only with Torlak but likely with Amon as well.
2. Torlak's ability to bloodbend without the full moon, and Amon's ability to remove bending despite not being a bender, are considered aberrant abilities in the flow of Chi and bending.
3. Torlak and Amon share an intense past that caused Torlak to wage a personal war against him and caused Amon to have revolutionary goals.

Given the above my theory is this: The common event in question was some sort of disruption in the flow of world that granted aberrant abilities to Amon and Torlak that was so severe that Aang needed to come in and correct it, but likely failed. The end result of this conflict changed Amon and Torlak into who they are now.

I like this theory... two deviations , two extremes.. i wonder how the story will go from here.. and Tarlok seems to be a REALLY powerful waterbender to bend outside of a full moon..
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 15:33   Link #659
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
This whole situation is pretty interesting. At first, we[the viewers] are led to believe that Amon is evil, and that he's a threat to the whole of Republic City. But compared to this episode, what Amon has done and stands for is nothing compared to the atrocity that Tarlok made in this ep, rounding up people who are only protesting and claiming to be Equalists. It certainly makes the side of the benders the bad guys and the Equalists made into the good guys. Amon has even mostly focused(or should I say is only shown) on the bad people using bending, the TT and the pro-bending cheaters who won. It really makes me think that Korra will align, but not necessarily join, the efforts of the Equalists, as shown in this episode, at least until Tarlok is taken down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
What episode did all this happen in? I missed a few and I recently saw this last saturday one w/ the surprise blood bending!
End of the latest ep after Korra was beaten by Tarlok, she has a flashback that gives you glimpses of someone(people say it's a guy named Yakone) controlling everyone with bloodbending.
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 22:45   Link #660
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 24
^Probably Tenzin and Lin

Short episode 9 promo:
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.