AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-18, 21:33   Link #861
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Definitely not having anything to do with this thread but....

I'm an iPad and MacBook Pro fan.

-----

Too bad Sozin's Comet is not coming back soon. I really want to see some firebender kicking ass. I just hope that Iroh doesn't disappoint us.
sorry i put it on wrong thread
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 21:57   Link #862
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, I finally got around to marathoning Avatar: The Last Airbender. Gosh, it brought back memories of the old days of anime (good memories). It's a complete shame I waited this long to watch it. For some reason, I thought it was a show about some kids racing or something equally lame.

Korra isn't disappointing as a sequel, though I think I'm going to take a break and wait for it to finish completely, as adventure-like shows like this really deserve to be marathoned. The romance, however, is definitely cheesy so far, though I'm loving the increase in age (or at least the height to make it seem like an increase in age) of the main characters.

Plus, the drops and humerous references to the first series crack me up (Cabbage Corp, the whole 'I bet you want to hear about Zuko's mother' breaking of the fourth wall, lol).

Am I the only one that thought Zuko's VA does not really fit an older character. His voice doesn't even sound like it's finished puberty yet (all broken), which was fine with Zuko, but Iroh looks like an actual man.

As for the whole Amon theories that are all over, is it possible that he's an incomplete Avatar, born in that short moment when Aang was 'killed' by Azula? He's obviously not a normal human being, if his ability to remove bending wasn't enough, there was his ability to withstand bloodbending as well, which would suggest at some level that he's got at least control over water (though the other possibility is that he's more machine than man, which would entirely be plausible I suppose). When Katara brought Aang back to life, maybe it left some baby out there in a strange state. I don't know what the time gap is between an Avatar dying, and being reincarnated, but if it's instant, then this could maybe be a possibility?

Or maybe he's Azula, from the first series, using your imagination to figure out what possibly could have occurred to turn our favorite sociopathic perfect princess into a man leading a normal's-first revolution.

Btw, whatever did happen to her anyways? She seemed conspicuously absent from the first series epilogue.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 22:03   Link #863
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I was sure it was wrong to begin with (as is many of my speculations), but I can't help but feel that having a second season will influence the end of the first season in some manner.
There's no way Bryke didn't know they'd get a second season, even if it wasn't announced at the time. Avatar is one of the most lucrative properties Nick has ever had. I'm sure they scripted the first season with the second season in mind.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 22:04   Link #864
Destined_Fate

They're older than TLAB cast, so it isn't just height. Which is why they're acting like teenagers when it comes to love.

You aren't alone. Zuko's VA just sounds so... Young for someone gruff and elder looking like Iroh II.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 22:28   Link #865
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
They're older than TLAB cast, so it isn't just height. Which is why they're acting like teenagers when it comes to love.

You aren't alone. Zuko's VA just sounds so... Young for someone gruff and elder looking like Iroh II.
Well Leorio (Hunter x Hunter) looks a lot older that what he is. This is prob the same situation playing out. I'm betting Iroh's 19-20 yo. He looks more mature due to his training and responsibilites.
Old 2012-06-19, 08:47   Link #866
Kirarakim

Dante Basco (Zuko's VA) does have a young sounding voice but keep in mind hes actually in his 30's so he is closer in age to the general than Zuko.

I'll give it some time. He probably just has to get used to the character. I just want to know how he is related to Zuko.
Old 2012-06-19, 08:53   Link #867
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Dante Basco (Zuko's VA) does have a young sounding voice but keep in mind hes actually in his 30's so he is closer in age to the general than Zuko.

I'll give it some time. He probably just has to get used to the character. I just want to know how he is related to Zuko.
Or Iroh could be a prodigy which makes him younger in age. This title is aimed at the teen population. They are not going to be excited if the guy is older than 19-21 imo. Besides the closer he is to Mako's age, the more easier for the audience to make comparisons.

And if they had wanted an older voice, they could have chosen one. So I'm thinking the reason for the younger voice is that the character is younger.
Old 2012-06-19, 09:27   Link #868
Kirarakim

I actually doubt the character is that young, maybe in his 20's. But keep in mind he is a general of an important army. To me having that type of job isn't just about being skilled but also being emotionally ready, something I wouldn't say about Mako & the other teens.
Old 2012-06-19, 10:20   Link #869
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Or Iroh could be a prodigy which makes him younger in age. This title is aimed at the teen population. They are not going to be excited if the guy is older than 19-21 imo. Besides the closer he is to Mako's age, the more easier for the audience to make comparisons.

And if they had wanted an older voice, they could have chosen one. So I'm thinking the reason for the younger voice is that the character is younger.
Agreed. I suspect that he is Zuko's grandson. Perfect shipping candidate for Asami.

Accept it, people. Mako will have Korra, and Asami will find true love in Iroh II. Bolin can have his fire ferret.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 15:07   Link #870
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Or Iroh could be a prodigy which makes him younger in age. This title is aimed at the teen population. They are not going to be excited if the guy is older than 19-21 imo. Besides the closer he is to Mako's age, the more easier for the audience to make comparison.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the timeslot this show airs on is aimed at 8-11 year olds (the original show was aimed at 12 year olds I think and Zuko was 17 by the end of it) and the show hasn't been shy about having old supporting characters so I don't think that theory holds water. Oh and yes, Iroh II has been confirmed as Zuko's grandson.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 18:02   Link #871
Kirarakim

Nah Bryke actually said Korra was for a slightly older audience, one that grew up with Avatar basically.

I could see Asami & Iroh II actually considering Asami seems pretty mature herself.

I do hope Bolin finds someone and isn't reduced to just comic relief. Hoping he will be come someone more like Sokka in terms of character development.
Old 2012-06-19, 18:57   Link #872
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I say they surprise everyone and make it Korra x Bolin. Make the comic relief go through some major character development and get the girl finally, rather than the stoic handsome supposed romantic lead.

But, I doubt that'll happen. He's obviously Sokka 2.0, and will likely end up with some minor side character.

Are there books, etc, that fill in the 70 years between the two series? Or do you guys think a lot of that will dribble down to us through the events of Korra?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 19:43   Link #873
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I say they surprise everyone and make it Korra x Bolin. Make the comic relief go through some major character development and get the girl finally, rather than the stoic handsome supposed romantic lead.

But, I doubt that'll happen. He's obviously Sokka 2.0, and will likely end up with some minor side character.

Are there books, etc, that fill in the 70 years between the two series? Or do you guys think a lot of that will dribble down to us through the events of Korra?
The Promise covers the following year after the end of the Hundred Year War. It introduces the Harmony Restoration Project between Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation and Aang; the Project is what leads to Republic City.

As for what happens after the Restoration Project and events prior to Korra (like 69 years), is all up to conjecture/flashbacks for the time being.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 20:36   Link #874
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so are we gonna to have break this week?
Old 2012-06-19, 20:43   Link #875
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
so are we gonna to have break this week?
Final 2 episodes of the season will air this Saturday (June 23).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 22:20   Link #877
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Ya i kinda like the idea myself... granted, its a little hard to picture them as a romantic couple (their date felt more friendly than romantic), but i think i felt the same about Katara and Aang and i fine with how that worked out. Not to mention in a lot of real live relationship, that "friendliness" is more what you see than romance. Though i did appreciate their little "date" if for not other reason than for the fact that Korra is not the type who would pick up Bolin as a silver medal if she lost Mako.

oh and upon saying that... we just so happen to have this new clip

Only real interesting i took from that interview was that Season 2 is still in the pre-production phase... depending on hoe long production takes, we could be waiting till next spring/summer to get the second season
Old 2012-06-20, 00:13   Link #878
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Final 2 episodes of the season will air this Saturday (June 23).
thanks. i really worried because of 1 hour special. they takes break
Old 2012-06-20, 01:52   Link #879
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

So I wasn't wildly off. General Iroh is Zuko's grandson.
Old 2012-06-20, 17:36   Link #880
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Because...there's a new one
Randrak42 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra