AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-20, 22:17   Link #881
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Hilarious as always, I wonder if he's making any Korra Abridged... but that wouldn't be nearly as funny as the original.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:18   Link #882
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
Hilarious as always, I wonder if he's making any Korra Abridged... but that wouldn't be nearly as funny as the original.
Doubt it, but personally I love these little 1 to 2 minute clips he makes.

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 07:25   Link #883
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate

Finally caught up. This series is just great and I absolutely love the setting (Pro Bending is just so awesome) as well as all the Last Airbender references. And I love how genuinely grounded it is in politics, even more so that a lot of anime that are supposed to be political. It has it's flaws. The pacing can be a bit too fast , the romance can be a bit forced, the plot developments can be a bit convenient and I wish the good guys mooks were more capable, but otherwise it's been terrific and just like The Last Airbender, it's not shied away from tragic plot developments. Republic City being won by the Equalists reminded me a lot of the end of Book 2 in The Last Airbender. Beifong losing her powers was definitely tragic too (especially after we just saw how awesome she was in taking down that airship). Amon makes for a great villain too. He's creepy, he's ruthless, he's mysterious and it certainly helps that he has such an experienced voice actor behind him (Hell yes Steve Blum!).

Put me in the camp that thought Zuko's voice for General Iroh was rather unfitting but I reckon could get used to it.

Favourite character? Definitely Bolin. The guy is just so hilarious.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-06-22 at 17:32.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 17:29   Link #884
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
I'd bust up laughing if they invade Air Temple Island while both Korra and Tenzin are on business. Cut to after the battle, where Equalists are strewn everywhere while the airbending kids are completely untouched.
I was pleasantly surprised to see this actually happen (for the most part). Seeing Meelo go off on these guys was easily the highlight of episode 10 for me.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 21:52   Link #885
ellifeedn
Thinker

Only 12 more hours to go until the finale. Can't wait!
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 02:47   Link #886
Ein Soph Aur

Here's hoping the finale brings a satisfying conclusion to Book 1.

Can't wait for Book 2.
Ein Soph Aur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 05:54   Link #887
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

when is book 2 anyway?
Old 2012-06-23, 09:12   Link #888
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

It's still in product so no idea yet, I wouldn't bet on anything sooner than early 2013 though (if that).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 11:05   Link #889
Who

That finale had its moments, but overall... was lackluster compared to the episodes building up to it.

General Iroh, Commander Bumi and the entire battle were the highlights of the finale. Oh, and Amon's resolution. Didn't think Nick had what it takes to show that in a kid's timeslot.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 11:19   Link #890
Kirarakim

Overall I thought it was ok but not great

The Good

*Amon's true identity and the flashback of his past
*Tarlock's decision at then end (I was definitely surprised)
*A lot of good action
*The scene between Asami & her dad (and at least Bolin got to do something)
*I really did like General Iroh
*I liked seeing Aang (and Katara again too)
*I liked the Lt confronting Amon

The Bad

*Way way too rushed (not enough time for emotional response)
*Although I liked seeing Aang, Korra getting her bending back that easily felt like a cop out.
*I don't really mind that Mako and Korra admitted their feelings to each other but I don't like that Mako didn't care about straightening things up with Asami first (unless the whole I still care about you was it, but that seems a bit cheap)
*The story didn't actually deal with the real grievances the non-benders had at all. Amon was the villain that had to be defeated and that was it.

Don't really have an opinion on Bumi yet but he seems like he will be a fun character.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:45   Link #891
Zip

I thought this was a great finale until the last 5 minutes, after Tarlokk and Amon's.. uh.. exit.

I'm glad that Korra could spiritually connect with Aang, but getting all her bending back then restoring everyone else, while starting a relationship with Mako... meh. It really did feel like a massive cop-out, considering that only half of the series is over.

I'm sure we'll get more explanations and reactions from the public in the next half, but I would've preferred Korra losing her bending. I think it really would've allowed her character to grow. And really, what was she ever taught any airbending aside from one episode? How she quickly mastered it also made her going to Republic City to learn airbending with Tenzin a moot point.
Zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 11:56   Link #892
Destined_Fate

They said that a Book 3 isn't out of the question. It's something they wouldn't mind doing but the decision isn't up to them, it depends on how much demand for more LoK is if a Book 3 is made or not.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 12:08   Link #893
Kirarakim

A far as Korra learning air bending I expect that it was like the original series, she was learning but most of that was happening off screen.

Yeah I think having Korra have to find a way to get back her & everyone's else's bending would have been a lot more powerful than it was restored by the spirits of the past Avatars.

I was thinking of Korra compared to the 1st series. Obviously it's not really fair to judge because Korra only has had 12 episodes so far & Avatar 3 seasons' worth.

As a cohesive narrative Korra's 12 episodes probably are better than Avatar's first 12 episodes.

There wasn't really a bad episode of Korra and I can't exactly say the same for Avatar's early episodes. At the same time though I don't think Korra had a really stand out episode.

I think Avatar had 2 in its first 12: The Southern Air Temple & The Storm. Looking back those 2 (and the Blue Spirit ep 13) were what really made me a fan of the series.

Also all 3 of those early episodes really focused on sitting back & looking at the characters, again something that Korra didn't really do. There were character moments within the story, but no episode that focused on the characters. This was a loss to me.

Well I guess we will see where the story goes in the next 14 episodes.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:09   Link #894
kitten320

^EH? Korra and Mako are together now? MAKO YOU ASS!
He was all good with Asami and then suddenly he forgets about her and is all over Korra?! The dude can die for all I care!

His looks is not enough for me to like him.
Old 2012-06-23, 14:41   Link #895
Ushio the Omega

Very, very underwhelming I especially did NOT like Amon's backstory. His character arc resolution was very good though.

General Iroh the second awesome!

The way bending was returned was worse than the lion turtle I did not think that was possible but they proved me wrong.
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 14:48   Link #896
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I always figured the trauma of having her bending stolen would trigger the Avatar State, so it was not surprising to me when Aang showed up and fixed the problem, he did legitimately know Energy Bending after all, returning bending shouldn't be outside of his (and now any Avatars') capabilities. Heck, Aang was supposed to have lost the Avatar State, but got it back thanks to a convenient blow to the back caused by Ozai.

My only real complaints were:

KorraxMako was pushed too hard for my liking, without giving real resolution to the Asami situation.

Tenzin and his family being captured; how? They had a clean break with no pursuers.

I hope next season we see more of Aang's children, particularly Bumi, as well as Zuko's grandson, who gave me a fairly positive impression.
Old 2012-06-23, 14:58   Link #897
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I always figured the trauma of having her bending stolen would trigger the Avatar State, so it was not surprising to me when Aang showed up and fixed the problem, he did legitimately know Energy Bending after all, returning bending shouldn't be outside of his (and now any Avatars') capabilities. Heck, Aang was supposed to have lost the Avatar State, but got it back thanks to a convenient blow to the back caused by Ozai.
Well, we all know that her bending will be restored because she is the avatar. But I hoped that she at least try to meditate to make the connection with the past lives or go through something for one episode or two and have some kind of enlightenment.

The way it was done in this episode is too cheap, especially when it is tangled up with Mako's confession. One moment she has no bending, another moment Aang just show up to save her.

By the way.........

Is the Tarlock in this episode the same Tarlock that we have seen in the previous ones? What made him suddenly a martyr of justice?

Amon's back story, well, to build up the suspense in the whole season and resolve it in an out of nowhere recollection is surely underwhelming.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 14:58   Link #898
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

it does feel rush and use so many deus ex machina
Old 2012-06-23, 15:25   Link #899
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

While I didn't exactly ignore the theories that Amon was a faker, I was really hoping for a better twist than that. Just sucks out everything that was cool about him. And...yeah, the ending. After thinking about it, it wasn't very good. It wasn't terrible, but similar to the new Pixar movie, Brave, I was expecting more.

Romance still sucks though.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-06-23 at 21:24.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 16:35   Link #900
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I have a headache. And I'm gonna share with all of you, because I need to vent.

I'm sitting here, just having finished the first season, and all I can think to myself is... what the hell? These are the explanations we get? This is how they resolve it?

Bloodbending - Katara had to learn from someone else, and that old woman only learned it due to her situation (being deprived of waterbending and wanting to escape). So how did Yakone, a 2-bit crook, not only learn to bloodbend, but become 100x better at it then Katara? My theory going in was that the spirit world was involved somehow in this, which would have made his HAX abilities make some sense... but we get a big fat nothing. And again, nothing at how he was able to remove bending abilities, despite the vague notion that it was due to bloodbending... which Katara couldn't reverse. What the hell?

Mecha Tanks? Airplanes? Yes, I understand the technology level is moving forward. But Mecha tanks? Seriously? It really felt like they had to give the bad guys every conceivable advantage, even it required cheating. Tenzin and his family suddenly captured? Bolin's group suddenly captured? Electric taser gloves? Like bloodbending, we don't need to explain! It just happens, and you be a good viewer and just smile and nod your head.

The romance... oh god, if you could even call it that. They've only known each other for a very short time, a few weeks, and they love each other? Starting out, I admit, I was shipping Korra/Mako. But Mako became such a douchebag, stringing Asami along, and Bolin was such a nice guy that really got shafted, that I have to favor Korra/Bolin now. Actually, I honestly wish they'd just drop the whole romance thing, because it felt like a bad teenage drama.

Well, at least Korra gets her asspull, too. She can suddenly airbend? Without using any kind of martial arts moves to bring it up? What happened to the avatar state? The one kind of HAX that actually makes sense in the show... she never accesses. What happened to it being a defense mechanism?

In fact, this goes to bloodbending as well. We have been told and shown that bending is part of a martial art, in which your body movements are needed to bend. But a lot of the bending in this series (with the bloodbenders being an extreme example), is done with very little movement. I suppose it, uh, evolved? Even if so, it's disappointing. I liked the way it was done in The Last Airbender.

So, to sum up... a shortened, rushed series, with repeated nonsensical asspulls, an awkward "romance," a complete lack of explanation for anything, and a severe lack of connection with the first series, means this series just falls flat for me. Yeah, as a standalone, it's not too bad. And if you can turn your brain off... but I've seen the first series, and it's impossible not to compare it. It's just a severe downgrade, that I can't help but feel the writers just got lucky the first time around.

Instead of using the resources of the world they created, they had to asspull after asspull. Aang, a 12 year old kid, felt a helluva lot stronger than Korra.

Oh, and the ending. The asspull ending. "It's at your lowest when you are at the greatest point for change" or some BS? What?

They missed out a great way to tie this series back into the first. I was really expecting Amon to have gone to the Spirit World and come back changed. Thus, the bloodbending. And had his face stolen by Koh, who wanted revenge on the avatar, which would have been why Amon didn't take Korra's bending before; because he would have been saving her for Koh. Now that I know how things really are... why the hell didn't Amon take Korra's bending that time on the island?

And now I have to stop before I pop a blood vessel. I'm just really disappointed in the direction they took this. Maybe they'll redeem things in the second season, but as of this point, I don't see how. I dearly hope they pull a miracle in the second season, because I really want to see the writing improve.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra