Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-15, 00:00   Link #2701
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Wow Gon scored 1st on the quiz. The rest of the people must be pretty dumb. I would have though Killua could do better.

Did Ging has a oracle of his own among his friends?
It was a quiz about details of collecting the cards. As Killua mentioned, it's designed to favor people who collected cards on their own rather than stealing them. Given that Genthru killed everyone else who had more than 50 cards (ie: the people who called the meeting that led to discovering Patch of Shore) and Tsezuguerra retired, there's simply no one else who could possibly compete with them. Which makes the match basically Gon against Killua. No one else had a chance.

The test itself has nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with experience. The people who experienced more of the game will win.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 00:04   Link #2702
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Wow Gon scored 1st on the quiz. The rest of the people must be pretty dumb. I would have though Killua could do better.
Although Gon can look "dumb" due to his naive nature, he actually has a much higher attention to details than Killua and most people, that's why he won.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 01:06   Link #2703
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Killua is more of the "book smarts" variety.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 01:32   Link #2704
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not to mention it was Gon who figured out the trick with the Accompany card. He's usually the one who has the ideas in the heat of the moment.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 09:22   Link #2705
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Didn't he also figure out the trick to Genthru's powers that his defense would be almost nonexistent if he tried to use Little Flower with both hands?

He also figured out a way to yoink Hisoka's tag without getting himself killed.

He also used some clever tactics to beat his opponents in Heaven's Arena, including a method to get a hit on Hisoka.
Old 2013-04-15, 17:04   Link #2706
Arkeus

A classic Gon moment was at the end of the Trick Tower.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 17:38   Link #2707
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
he actually has a much higher attention to details than Killua.
It depends. Some time he realizes things first, sometimes is Killua who does it.

The point is moot though, since the quiz seemed to be about trivia stuff about the cards, so the one with better memory should have had the advantage, and I don't think Gon was ever stated to be particularly gifted in that department.

So why did Gon won the game.... Luck probably, or most likely just the fact that he's the MC.
Old 2013-04-15, 18:02   Link #2708
HybridBloodsZak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

The point is moot though, since the quiz seemed to be about trivia stuff about the cards, so the one with better memory should have had the advantage, and I don't think Gon was ever stated to be particularly gifted in that department.

So why did Gon won the game.... Luck probably, or most likely just the fact that he's the MC.
Because he was the MC partly but I'd like to think it's because Gon was earnestly having fun collecting cards in Greed Island. Eps 60-67 is pretty much that and training and when you have fun you tend to remember those events more(at least I do :P).

As they said in the episode, people who are stealing cards wouldn't be able to answer as many questions which pertained to getting cards the "intended" way as Ging sadistically designed the whole game.
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 18:08   Link #2709
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
when you have fun you tend to remember those events more(at least I do :P).
That's a good point. People definitely tend to remember better when they're having fun.
Old 2013-04-15, 19:28   Link #2710
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Gon won the contest because he took the game more seriously than anyone else. It mattered more to him to win it legitimately, and he paid closer attention than any of the competitors (including his teammates, who were more focused on strategy in dealing with Genthru). It seems pretty self-evident to me that Gon would win.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 20:05   Link #2711
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Also to note, Gon and Bisky were collecting cards while Killua was away at the Hunter exam. I'm sure they've researched all types of cards during Killua's departure to see what does what, so Gon had that in his favor as well =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:15   Link #2712
Salce

There was a little scene when they got Patch of Shore after the dodgeball game, and Gon was seriously listening to the girl's story, while Killua was thinking "come on, it's just an in-game story".
Salce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:21   Link #2713
Clarste
Human

In other words, Killua's the sort of player who skims the quest text to get only the relevant information.
Old 2013-04-16, 01:25   Link #2714
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I don't think there's been any indication to believe that Gon's memory is shot. O_o
Old 2013-04-16, 01:59   Link #2715
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salce View Post
There was a little scene when they got Patch of Shore after the dodgeball game, and Gon was seriously listening to the girl's story, while Killua was thinking "come on, it's just an in-game story".
I stand corrected. I think this is the most convincing point.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 09:02   Link #2716
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salce View Post
No, Killua said that because Gon wasn't just seriously listening, but sort of believing it (as in, forgetting they're not real people so he shouldn't feel sad for them). This scene was a gag based on Gon's innocence, and it wasn't the only one during this arc.

Anyway, this definitely doesn't mean that Killua's the sort of player who skims over details to get only the relevant information. He's not like that. He pays a great deal of attention to everything.
Old 2013-04-16, 11:17   Link #2717
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

When playing a game he clearly doesn't. The proof is in the episode. He's probably playing to win rather than playing for fun. That's totally not out of character.
Old 2013-04-16, 11:20   Link #2718
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
When playing a game he clearly doesn't. The proof is in the episode. He's probably playing to win rather than playing for fun. That's totally not out of character.
You can play for fun while ignoring the details of the setting. It's just gameplay vs. story. The simple fact is that Gon is more engrossed in the story than Killua is. Killua thinks about game balance and designer intent and stuff, while Gon approaches things with a much more straightforward sense of immersion.
Old 2013-04-16, 11:35   Link #2719
Kazu-kun

Good point there, Clarste. You're right. It's not that Killua pays less attention than Gon. They're just focusing their attention on different things.

Well, that's why they make such a good team too, if you think about it.
Old 2013-04-16, 11:54   Link #2720
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
You can play for fun while ignoring the details of the setting. It's just gameplay vs. story. The simple fact is that Gon is more engrossed in the story than Killua is. Killua thinks about game balance and designer intent and stuff, while Gon approaches things with a much more straightforward sense of immersion.
I see this more as an addition to my argument rather than a counter. The point is Killua isn't into the immersion thing (IE playing for fun), so he doesn't feel the need to pay attention to 'useless things' (IE playing to win) whereas Gon immerses himself more than he even realizes.

Tags
action, shounen