AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-05, 09:47   Link #2761
ookamigirl

Human bug/animal hybrids. Slightly disturbing.
The main problem is that they're pretty smart.
Looks like they're multiplying fast too.
That queen has an insatiable appetite and she's not gonna stop.
This is gonna be an interesting arc.

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 10:17   Link #2762
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The thing I find weird about this NGL business is that they hate modern technology but somehow they have guns.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 10:45   Link #2763
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 78-

Spoiler for Part 1:

------------

Spoiler for Part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 10:51   Link #2764
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I..... don't think this is bad filler. I always thought some of the Chimera Ant characters could use more screentime.
Old 2013-05-05, 10:55   Link #2765
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well things are definitely building up and Gon and Killua are on their way to meet some bugs. Though at this point hard to tell how much of a problem this will be. The grunts might not have even been a problem for them before the Greed Island arc. The problem will likely be the higher ups and the so called Elite Guards that will be born soon.

Suppose it is interesting as well looking at how their societal structure is being affected by humanity. More intelligence for the squad leaders and individuality. Though whether this is good or bad we can only speculate. May make the Queen's control less complete though and who knows what might spiral out of that.

But talk about the worst place she could have shown up in. It's practically a society ready to be slaughtered. Thank god the apparent underground drug trade has left them with some guns to fight back with. Never thought I'd be thanking the drug trade .
Old 2013-05-05, 11:15   Link #2766
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

ETA: Haha, FlareKnight said it better in fewer words! That'll teach me to start posting, wander away, and finish later without checking. XD

Even those it was basically just a set-up episode, I found myself completely fascinated. There's just so much going on already at the beginning of this arc (it helps going in blind, of course), and on so many different levels... biological, political, metaphysical, anthropological, you name it. The impressive part is that the writer seems to have actually thought through all of these separate elements.

@Dengar: I assumed that the men with the guns were, like the drug dealer/supplier shown wearing the same outfit in the city, directly under the control of or affiliated with the king of that country. Seems like the ruling regime is probably fattening their wallets by farming the source of the drug and distributing it in developed countries.

Even nations founded with the purest of intentions tend to find their ideals compromised later on (or discover that they were flawed from the beginning). Like how extreme wealth/power gaps seem to have a way of cropping up in Communist countries, or how the first U.S. patriots preached revolution, equality, etc. without questioning slavery. It would be difficult for a totally Luddite group to maintain sovereignty over their land (and set their own terms for international trade) without making some kind of technological concession, even if only to deter invasion.

Some kind of modern weaponry is probably necessary for transporting drugs securely across borders or in international waters. And being in exclusive control of it would give the current NGL regime a powerful trump card against any potential internal uprisings. They'd have every motive to encourage the general populace to continue their ideological rejection of technology. So I'm guessing that while government-sponsored forces (in whatever form they exist, like those mouth mask-wearing guys) seem to have access to firearms, the bereaved mother of those poor kids probably doesn't have a rifle stashed at the back of her house.
Old 2013-05-05, 11:18   Link #2767
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

I remember skimming the arc, cuz the drawing are horrible at the time, but damn! Madhouse did a great job animating this arc w/o holding 1999 hand. Major props, cuz all these filler are informative and exciting in a way. Gyro? Who is he... Even a the manga readers still have no idea.
Old 2013-05-05, 12:16   Link #2768
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
I remember skimming the arc, cuz the drawing are horrible at the time, but damn! Madhouse did a great job animating this arc w/o holding 1999 hand. Major props, cuz all these filler are informative and exciting in a way. Gyro? Who is he... Even a the manga readers still have no idea.
Just to clarify, did you read the weekly sketchy version?
Spoiler:

or the refined volume version?
Spoiler:
Old 2013-05-05, 12:28   Link #2769
Haak
Forever Alone...

Still mostly build up without the main characters truly involved yet so it's still not that compelling yet but the episode is asking interesting questions, most particularly, whether that humanoid chimera ant will develop enough individuality to change the game a bit. Ponzo and that bow and arrow guy look like great fodder for the Queen to eat humans who know Nen. I was wondering how the Chimera ants would get round that.
Old 2013-05-05, 19:04   Link #2770
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
=Even those it was basically just a set-up episode, I found myself completely fascinated. There's just so much going on already at the beginning of this arc (it helps going in blind, of course), and on so many different levels... biological, political, metaphysical, anthropological, you name it. The impressive part is that the writer seems to have actually thought through all of these separate elements.
I like this! Please, keep watching for more.

I appreciated this episode very much. Gon and Killua's conversation at the end reminded me of the earlier episodes of the series. Especially Gon's "Dakara nigenai"... didn't he also say that against Hanzo? Characteristic for sure, but I suppose now we know how far he'll take his own vows. Throughout the entire series, when has Gon ever run away?
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 01:08   Link #2771
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Still mostly build up without the main characters truly involved yet so it's still not that compelling yet but the episode is asking interesting questions, most particularly, whether that humanoid chimera ant will develop enough individuality to change the game a bit. Ponzo and that bow and arrow guy look like great fodder for the Queen to eat humans who know Nen. I was wondering how the Chimera ants would get round that.
Yeah, I felt bad but my first thoughts when seeing those two were "well they are going to be lunch." I kind of wonder about Ponzo's role. That ability to control insects kind of comes into play in an interesting arc. Whether that will help her to survive or create a chimera ant with a very unique power who knows.

No one is safe going into this situation. These ants are learning and changing rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
I like this! Please, keep watching for more.

I appreciated this episode very much. Gon and Killua's conversation at the end reminded me of the earlier episodes of the series. Especially Gon's "Dakara nigenai"... didn't he also say that against Hanzo? Characteristic for sure, but I suppose now we know how far he'll take his own vows. Throughout the entire series, when has Gon ever run away?
Yeah, I could see this being a critical moment for those two. They did learn a lot from Bisky, but I feel like they've only learned enough to just barely be able to protect themselves. Be nice if she had stuck with them to help Gon especially continue refining his skills.

But there is a world of difference between just keeping themselves alive and saving others in trouble. Probably why Kite threw that out there as well. If he ends up in a situation bad enough where he'd need help then it'd be pretty bad. Trying to save others depending on the situation might only get themselves killed. But, Gon has not been one to run away. The best they've been able to do is having him not engage in the first place until the plan was set.
Old 2013-05-06, 01:23   Link #2772
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^The thing is that Gon and Killua's training is basically complete. Any further training is a really poor substitute for experience.
Old 2013-05-06, 01:36   Link #2773
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
Just to clarify, did you read the weekly sketchy version?
Spoiler:

or the refined volume version?
Spoiler:
The unrefined one. If I go to a site to view HxH, will the refine one be over it or I have to purchase a copy?
Old 2013-05-06, 02:10   Link #2774
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
^The thing is that Gon and Killua's training is basically complete. Any further training is a really poor substitute for experience.
Wasn't that "paper" portion of his technique still incomplete by the time the arc ended? Experience is definitely important, but it's not like he didn't have any room left to improve purely through some practice and training. And you never know, the difference between "basically" and "actually" complete could be rather important .
Old 2013-05-06, 02:15   Link #2775
Clarste
Human

Well, if he knows the exercise he can do it on his own, can't he?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 04:54   Link #2776
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Wasn't that "paper" portion of his technique still incomplete by the time the arc ended? Experience is definitely important, but it's not like he didn't have any room left to improve purely through some practice and training. And you never know, the difference between "basically" and "actually" complete could be rather important .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Well, if he knows the exercise he can do it on his own, can't he?
Yep, hatsu training is something that must be developed personally. Gon and Killua's training is complete regarding the basic and advanced techniques of nen: ten, ren, zetsu, in, en, ken, shu, gyo, and ko. Those are quite enough to survive. They only lack their "hissatsu waza" that is unique to them.
Old 2013-05-06, 10:01   Link #2777
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^Indeed, he already understands how it all works. Perfecting his hatsu is something he can only do on his own.
Old 2013-05-06, 10:26   Link #2778
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
The unrefined one. If I go to a site to view HxH, will the refine one be over it or I have to purchase a copy?
I think there are sites that hosts the refined version, but don't ask me. I've bought and read what's been released in English and didn't get the honor to read them in their unfinished weekly format.
Old 2013-05-06, 13:53   Link #2779
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Having Bisky around certainly couldn't hurt, but like others have said what Gon and Killua really need at this point is more experience in real battle. Compared to other Nen users they are really quite far along for the age they are at. Just having really gotten the basics down so well puts them in the top tier of nen users around the world. The only problem is the small percentage of pure masters completely blow them away still. The world they are trying to live in will only become somewhat safe when they themselves can say they are amongst say the top 50 of nen users in the world. Over the course of this arc that may or may not change, I sure as hell am not going to say anymore.

They are probably close to that now, maybe in the top 100 but not quite there yet. They have still yet to truly define and refine the hatsu abilities they will use for the rest of their lives.

Judging by the quarantine level and what we know about how quick they evolve, the hunter organization would have already sent out some of the very best they have if it wasn't for the lack of news coming out of NGL. Gon and Killua and the rest of Kiato's gang really should not be going anywhere near that island.
Old 2013-05-06, 17:21   Link #2780
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

They actually aren't even close to being top 100 tier yet. The HxH world is literally full of monsters shaped like humans. (the world is relatively normally populated, so even though Hunters are rare, there's still quite a large number of them)

Tags
action, shounen