AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-09, 10:45   Link #4361
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've noticed most of the western anime fanbase (manga fans don't seem to have this problem) look down on anything labeled "shounen" and seem to have a very strong aversion to series that runs for more than 50 episodes. They're under the mistaken impression it's impossible for a series to stay consistently good for a long time, which is completely untrue (although it's definitely the case for the most famous current shounen out there, like Naruto and Bleach). Others think they're too mature to read shounen, which is pretentious and actually immature instead. It doesn't matter what the demographic of a work is so long as it's good. Quality should be the only thing that matters, not length or who the target audience is.
Old 2014-04-09, 12:02   Link #4362
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 124-
Spoiler for part 1:

-------
Spoiler for part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 14:21   Link #4363
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I've noticed most of the western anime fanbase (manga fans don't seem to have this problem) look down on anything labeled "shounen" and seem to have a very strong aversion to series that runs for more than 50 episodes. They're under the mistaken impression it's impossible for a series to stay consistently good for a long time, which is completely untrue (although it's definitely the case for the most famous current shounen out there, like Naruto and Bleach). Others think they're too mature to read shounen, which is pretentious and actually immature instead. It doesn't matter what the demographic of a work is so long as it's good. Quality should be the only thing that matters, not length or who the target audience is.
No, whether you like the work is what's important. Some people don't like certain genres, no matter how good it is. It's their right.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 15:36   Link #4364
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No, whether you like the work is what's important. Some people don't like certain genres, no matter how good it is. It's their right.
Do you really believe that people will actually give HxH a shot and watch a single episode before judging it as a "for kids" show? I think that's what Kanon meant: people in the western fanbase will look at a Poster for the show and think "yet another DBZ/Naruto/Bleach" (and people are REALLY burned out from those).

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 15:44   Link #4365
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Do you really believe that people will actually give HxH a shot and watch a single episode before judging it as a "for kids" show? I think that's what Kanon meant: people in the western fanbase will look at a Poster for the show and think "yet another DBZ/Naruto/Bleach" (and people are REALLY burned out from those).
Sure, why not? There was some discussion in the Mahouka thread about people watching the first ep and not liking it for whatever reason. And a torrent of people telling those guys they were wrong to not like it and stupid to not give it more episodes. (When, really, more episodes would do nothing to address the complaints.)

It's perfectly possible to watch an ep of HxH and decide it's not for you. Heck, I decided Twilight wasn't from me just from hearing about it. I never cracked open a book. I never even touched a book. Everything's a bet on whether it's going to be entertaining or not and there's a limited amount of time for leisure. Why waste it on bad odds?
Old 2014-04-09, 15:56   Link #4366
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Most of them don't even try an episode though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 16:10   Link #4367
ditn

Its like food,some people wont even eat it to tell its not good :d
Old 2014-04-09, 16:13   Link #4368
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

They just take one look at it and decide it's disgusting without even taking a whiff.
Old 2014-04-09, 16:24   Link #4369
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, 'cause it's a pizza and they hate pizza.

I mean, sure, maybe it's got a few unconventional ingredients that make it great... but at the end of the day, it's still a pizza. And you don't need to eat a slice to see that.
Old 2014-04-09, 16:26   Link #4370
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Even though the pizza predates some of the more mainstream pizzas.
Old 2014-04-09, 16:27   Link #4371
kakakka

Well, we can be frustrated about it all we want, but that just how people think.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 16:37   Link #4372
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Even though the pizza predates some of the more mainstream pizzas.
What does that have to do with anything? It's still pizza.
Old 2014-04-10, 00:07   Link #4373
akumaten

When I read this chapter and saw Kilua break down, I thought.."You love Gon, don't you?" I was in awe, It was genuine love. Seeing their relationship develop, from just two people taking the Hunter exam, to now, is amazing.
Anyone trying to compare Gon and Kilua relationship to Naruto and Sasuke's "relationship" even to an inch...is an utter insult.
akumaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 14:44   Link #4374
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? It's still pizza.
Well, people dismiss any type of pizza for being a follow-the-leader margerita knockoff. But pepperoni isn't THAT much younger than margerita. And most certainly predates hawaii. Plus the taste is all new. Yet people just assume it's a cheap knockoff and ignore it.
Old 2014-04-10, 15:33   Link #4375
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Well, people dismiss any type of pizza for being a follow-the-leader margerita knockoff. But pepperoni isn't THAT much younger than margerita. And most certainly predates hawaii. Plus the taste is all new. Yet people just assume it's a cheap knockoff and ignore it.
I'm saying which pizza came first doesn't matter. What kind of hipster would care about that? "Come back, it's old so you retroactively like it before it was cool"?

It's got the dough, the tomato sauce and the cheese. If someone knows by experience they don't like the combination, why risk it, no matter what other toppings are there?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2014-04-10 at 16:23.
Old 2014-04-10, 15:50   Link #4376
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

After all this, I'm not sure I understand if it's right or not to dismiss shonen anime as a whole, but I sure am hungry.
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 10:09   Link #4377
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

That was the general idea.

Quote:
I'm saying which pizza came first doesn't matter. What kind of hipster would care about that? "Come back, it's old so you retroactively like it before it was cool"?

It's got the dough, the tomato sauce and the cheese. If someone knows by experience they don't like the combination, why risk it, no matter what other toppings are there?
Yeah that's exactly the reaction of most of those people. They point out a fallacy from the perspective of an entirely different fallacy.
Old 2014-04-14, 13:05   Link #4378
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

You guys should check this twitter out. It's the twitter of one of the animation director of the series. He often posts gorgeous HxH pics and he's pretty friendly to foreigners. You can tell from his tweets he loves the series. That's probably part of why the adaptation is so good. The people who work on it genuinely love it, with some of them like him being long time fans.
Old 2014-04-14, 16:42   Link #4379
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly the reaction of most of those people. They point out a fallacy from the perspective of an entirely different fallacy.
What fallacies are you even talking about?

HxH may be special... but at the end of the day it's a battle manga with emotional kids and super powers. It's not for everyone because nothing is for everyone.
Old 2014-04-14, 18:01   Link #4380
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
You guys should check this twitter out. It's the twitter of one of the animation director of the series. He often posts gorgeous HxH pics and he's pretty friendly to foreigners. You can tell from his tweets he loves the series. That's probably part of why the adaptation is so good. The people who work on it genuinely love it, with some of them like him being long time fans.
That's the chap who tweeted CA would end at 135.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen