AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-06-26, 21:14   Link #4841
TurkeyFried
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Arc ended and I still don't get the whole Meruem/Komugi romance. They barely interacted as it is.

Palm crying for the King made no sense since only Royal Guard were supposed to have a boner for him.

I was hoping he'd grow to be awesome, but he went from an arrogant prick to an arrogant prick with the occasional mercyful moment.
TurkeyFried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 21:35   Link #4842
Magewolf
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyFried View Post
Arc ended and I still don't get the whole Meruem/Komugi romance. They barely interacted as it is.

Palm crying for the King made no sense since only Royal Guard were supposed to have a boner for him.

I was hoping he'd grow to be awesome, but he went from an arrogant prick to an arrogant prick with the occasional mercyful moment.
Palm is from the King's hive, the only member that had a speaking part I think. All the other ants that we followed were from the Queen's hive.

Meruem/Komugi are soul mates who barely had the chance to meet before they died with each other.


This entire arc is a tragedy Meruem only learned to be good person in time to die. Netero died, Kite died, Komugi a young girl that never hurt a soul died, Gon threw his life away for nothing really.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 23:29   Link #4843
teja208
Critical fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere with anime and anime discussion is fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Now that you mention it, Gon really messed up. He lost all his life to obtain a victory. He could write a book titled "How to waste your life in one episode."

And now Killua has to deal with his best friend's fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Gon threw his life away for nothing really.
Yeah this has to be the only problem I have with this arc. Gon is really too naive for his own good. Part of him wants to avenge Kite, but I think mostly it's the guilt of leaving Kite to die for his sake. He doesn't want that and can't forgive himself for it. Before he witness what become of Kite, he firmly believed that Kite will definitely survive somehow. He wasn't mentally prepared for what remain of Kite after Shoot brought him back, and it's when Pitou told him that Kite is truly dead that push him over the edge, because there is no way for Gon to redeem himself from his self-imposed guilt. He's unable to forgive himself, thus by sacrificing his lifetime nen potential, I think, is the only way of punishing himself and avange Kite at the same time.

In fact, the real problem with this is his relationship with Kite hasn't benn sufficently developed in the eyes of the audences to justify how much Gon decides to throw away. From audience's perspective not Gon's, is Kite really that meaningful to Gon that he has to sacrifice this much? Kite's like an important mentor figure but that's it. However, if it's Killua or Mito or even Ging who die, then I don't think many viewers will complain.

This is quite similar to Kurapika's case of avenging his clan, but audience had no problem with it. This is because how much he has lost justified the path he has taken.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 05:59   Link #4844
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Yeah this has to be the only problem I have with this arc. Gon is really too naive for his own good. Part of him wants to avenge Kite, but I think mostly it's the guilt of leaving Kite to die for his sake. He doesn't want that and can't forgive himself for it. Before he witness what become of Kite, he firmly believed that Kite will definitely survive somehow. He wasn't mentally prepared for what remain of Kite after Shoot brought him back, and it's when Pitou told him that Kite is truly dead that push him over the edge, because there is no way for Gon to redeem himself from his self-imposed guilt. He's unable to forgive himself, thus by sacrificing his lifetime nen potential, I think, is the only way of punishing himself and avange Kite at the same time.

In fact, the real problem with this is his relationship with Kite hasn't benn sufficently developed in the eyes of the audences to justify how much Gon decides to throw away. From audience's perspective not Gon's, is Kite really that meaningful to Gon that he has to sacrifice this much? Kite's like an important mentor figure but that's it. However, if it's Killua or Mito or even Ging who die, then I don't think many viewers will complain.

This is quite similar to Kurapika's case of avenging his clan, but audience had no problem with it. This is because how much he has lost justified the path he has taken.
This is where the anime suffered. In the manga Gon met Kite when he was a kid and was the one who told him about hunters.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 06:03   Link #4845
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Uhh... That also happened in the anime.

The amount of time Gon and Kite spent together is the same in both versions: Extremely short.

The only difference between the two versions is the impact he made on the reader/viewer, not Gon.

His portrayal in the anime is no different from the manga, however it is more apparent how unremarkable he really is because in the anime he does not have the advantage of being the first hunter to appear on screen.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 06:54   Link #4846
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Uhh... That also happened in the anime.

The amount of time Gon and Kite spent together is the same in both versions: Extremely short.

The only difference between the two versions is the impact he made on the reader/viewer, not Gon.

His portrayal in the anime is no different from the manga, however it is more apparent how unremarkable he really is because in the anime he does not have the advantage of being the first hunter to appear on screen.
I just rewatched the first episode and Kite DOES NOT appear in any shape or form.
I then proceeded to watch episode 76 and it shows that although they met when he was a kid they were not properly introduced. To Gon, Kite was just some guy who rescued him.

In the manga they actually remember each other the second time they meet which makes a HUGE difference.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 08:53   Link #4847
Ryuga
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
While I would liked for Gon to have at least remembered Kite, Gon's reactions still came across well for me. For the short time they were together, Kite mentored Gon and Killua and was a strong Hunter. Kite also achieved what Gon's trying to do, he found Ging and gave Gon his license, so he was like a strong male role-model to Gon, whose father wasn't around.

Kite also seemed like a nice person (lent money to Spinner Clow to preserve the mountains where those swans were), so Gon probably felt like he let Spinner(and the rest of the contract Hunters who he quickly befriended) down.

Gon hates being weak (see him crying about Hisoka during the Exam) and gets angry at himself for being weak. This time, him being weak got someone killed, well, at least in his mind anyway, it wasn't his fault.

I agree with Teja, Gon was feeling guilty, and he is naive, mostly because he's just a kid. Pitou betrayed his simplistic views, which sent him over the edge. Kinda reminded me when Gon got angry at the Troupe because he thought they were completely heartless and when Gon got angry at Genthru because he lied and took a cheap shot.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 10:24   Link #4848
Gaulek
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Kite was there since the first chapter:
Spoiler for Image:


And the first episode (1999 version) :
Spoiler for Image:
__________________
Gaulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 10:40   Link #4849
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
No one's arguing that that stuff happened in the first chapter in the manga. >_>

But that stuff DID happen in the anime. It was just dealt with as a flashback episode. (fun fact, it was also a flashback in the manga, the present day being when he caught that huge fish, which is some years later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I just rewatched the first episode and Kite DOES NOT appear in any shape or form.
I then proceeded to watch episode 76 and it shows that although they met when he was a kid they were not properly introduced. To Gon, Kite was just some guy who rescued him.
I know he doesn't, but how the hell does that change the fact that Gon met him when he was a kid? I did (clearly) say "The only difference between the two versions is the impact he made on the reader/viewer, not Gon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
In the manga they actually remember each other the second time they meet which makes a HUGE difference.
Taking a while to remember a guy he met when you were a little kid doesn't really change how much they mean to him. He clearly made an impact on him, whether he remembers him the second tiem or not. >_>

Last edited by Dengar; 2014-06-27 at 10:59.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 11:14   Link #4850
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Inside Mugino's Pantsu *_*
not showing kaito in ep.1 was a mistake for me. when gonkillua met kaito after greedisland, people would react : "who the hell is he?" and then they just start some random flashback about guy we didnt know about and he just fvkin appeared yesterday.
if kaito apeared in ep.1 people would react : "oh! its him!" and it will become better somehow

maybe madhouse didnt plan chimera arc at first and find it unnecesary to showing up kaito.
__________________
hamazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 20:21   Link #4851
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Well, my argument wasn't whether or not them postponing Kite's introduction until the Chimera Ant Arc was a good idea or not (uncertainty about whether or not they'd even do that arc might have been an issue), all I'm saying is that the amount of screentime he had is the same. This time around he just doesn't have the benefit of being the first Hunter that viewers see, which causes people new to the series to see him for the rather underdeveloped character that he really is. Since their eyes haven't been tainted by the Nostalgia Filter.

Again, nothing significant was changed, other than the timing of his introduction. The part where he momentarily didn't remember Kite was an excuse to show us the flashback in the first place.

Don't tell me you've never been in a situation where you did not recognize a childhood aquaintance at first.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 03:29   Link #4852
aono
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Despite the fact that Chimera Ant Arc was too longspun to me, I liked it. The ending was so sad, especially for Komugi. She doesn't necessary had to die after all, though I understand this step.
aono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 06:33   Link #4853
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Well, my argument wasn't whether or not them postponing Kite's introduction until the Chimera Ant Arc was a good idea or not (uncertainty about whether or not they'd even do that arc might have been an issue), all I'm saying is that the amount of screentime he had is the same. This time around he just doesn't have the benefit of being the first Hunter that viewers see, which causes people new to the series to see him for the rather underdeveloped character that he really is. Since their eyes haven't been tainted by the Nostalgia Filter.

Again, nothing significant was changed, other than the timing of his introduction. The part where he momentarily didn't remember Kite was an excuse to show us the flashback in the first place.

Don't tell me you've never been in a situation where you did not recognize a childhood aquaintance at first.
You believe that the impact he had on Gon is the same and I say that is completely 100% NOT true. All we have is what is presented to us and the 2011 series shows us that Kite didn't interact with Gon more after rescuing him. He didn't tell Gon he was Ging's student nor was he a hunter. In the manga both Ging and Kite were the influences that made Gon become a hunter. In the 2011 anime it was just Ging.

Also you say that Kite's screen time was the same and that is not true either. The entire flashback should have had at least 10 minutes of screentime yet in the anime it was just 30 seconds.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 06:44   Link #4854
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
You believe that the impact he had on Gon is the same and I say that is completely 100% NOT true. All we have is what is presented to us and the 2011 series shows us that Kite didn't interact with Gon more after rescuing him. He didn't tell Gon he was Ging's student nor was he a hunter. In the manga both Ging and Kite were the influences that made Gon become a hunter. In the 2011 anime it was just Ging.

Also you say that Kite's screen time was the same and that is not true either. The entire flashback should have had at least 10 minutes of screentime yet in the anime it was just 30 seconds.
You exaggerate about the 30 seconds.

Gon became a Hunter because of Ging, not because of Kite. Kite merely happened to be the guy who told him about Ging. It could have been an entirely different character and it wouldn't have made a difference. He is NOT the driving force.

It just serves to prove my point. He made a clear impact on you despite his very minor role in everything.

Being the first onscreen badass in a world that is full of them just kind of does that.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 07:44   Link #4855
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
You exaggerate about the 30 seconds.

Gon became a Hunter because of Ging, not because of Kite. Kite merely happened to be the guy who told him about Ging. It could have been an entirely different character and it wouldn't have made a difference. He is NOT the driving force.

It just serves to prove my point. He made a clear impact on you despite his very minor role in everything.

Being the first onscreen badass in a world that is full of them just kind of does that.
This is where we disagree and it's clear I can't convince you otherwise. For me Kite was just as big as a driving force for Gon as Ging.

Btw I look at the fact as they are and what impact they have on me does not effect my argument. Facts are facts.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 14:03   Link #4856
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Yeah except your "facts" don't correspond with what I remember. But I agree that continuing this is rather pointless.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 07:46   Link #4857
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I don't think that Kite was a driving force for Gon, he was merely the spark that ignited his interest. But even without meeting Kite, Gon probably would at some point have gone along the same path as Ging.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 11:45   Link #4858
janipani
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Europe
I really like this ending. Finally a show that can teach the current generation how good anime can be at its best. And I'm quite certain that many are absolutely stunned. For me this was not the first time, I have seen amazing scenes before. If you wanna feel it again, you have go to see the anime you think is ugly and badly drawn, because it is there where the brightest of jewels are found.
__________________
The man of million typos
The master of confusing sentence structure


-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 14:50   Link #4859
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
#136

Spoiler for plot:
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 15:08   Link #4860
Student no.0
Unemployed Mecha
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Spoiler for Ep136:
__________________
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.